Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

td4guy posted:

Works for me when I zoom in. You just have to be really patient (wait for at least 60 seconds).
Tested on Chrome and old Firefox.

Good grief, it took a legitimate 10 minutes for the colors to overlay. What an awful loving website. Also, I get 5G in the burbs, allegedly. Unless they're counting "5G"E as 5G, which knowing ATT, they probably are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Question about wireless and fast charging. Isn’t that generally drain the batter hurt it faster though? I would think you want the slower charging speeds to keep the phone battery life longer. Or has that changed?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Isn’t that generally drain the batter hurt it faster though?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The batter does hurt yes.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Good grief, it took a legitimate 10 minutes for the colors to overlay. What an awful loving website. Also, I get 5G in the burbs, allegedly. Unless they're counting "5G"E as 5G, which knowing ATT, they probably are.

The map claims to have 5G in a bunch of areas where my phone doesn't display the "5GE" thing, but maybe they stopped doing that?

There's also apparently 5G all over the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, including a little area of 5G centered on a town of 500 people, so yeah I don't believe this map at all.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Here's some info on ATT's current trade-in deal for an iPhone 11 (from ATT website), which may or may not be similar to their trade-in deal for the 12:

So, it sounds like if the normal trade-in value is at least $95, you get the full $800 bill credits over 30 months. This probably much means an 8ish or newer. If that's a valid assumption, then it's great deal, also if it's similar to their deal for the 12. That seems pretty wild to give $800 for an 8.

Anyone know how they enforce trade in values? I just paid off my iPhone Xs 256GB, it's worth a lot more than $95. I would kind of like to just buy a phone to trade in and then sell my iPhone XS, I would come out significantly ahead I think.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Three Olives posted:

Anyone know how they enforce trade in values? I just paid off my iPhone Xs 256GB, it's worth a lot more than $95. I would kind of like to just buy a phone to trade in and then sell my iPhone XS, I would come out significantly ahead I think.

Comes down to how much you value your time and risk the sale doesn’t go well.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does this magnet stuff mean the new phones will stick to my magnet car mount?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

prom candy posted:

Does this magnet stuff mean the new phones will stick to my magnet car mount?

I’m thinking if it’s big enough, the magnet appears to be a hollow ring.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TraderStav posted:

Comes down to how much you value your time and risk the sale doesn’t go well.

Putting it on eBay doesn’t cost much more time. That’s a real bullshit price and no one should take it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Apple is offering me $210 for my 8 Plus. Where are you getting a trade-in value of $95?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Putting it on eBay doesn’t cost much more time. That’s a real bullshit price and no one should take it.

Don't disagree, just saying those are the factors. Also shipping costs, but negligible probably.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

LionArcher posted:

Question about wireless and fast charging. Isn’t that generally drain the batter hurt it faster though? I would think you want the slower charging speeds to keep the phone battery life longer. Or has that changed?

Maybe wireless charging is “worse” for batteries cause of the heat generated. The magnet is design to minimize that by ensuring good contact.

It doesn’t matter. Use/charge your phone how you want.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Josh Lyman posted:

I know that back in the day, the 5W Apple charger was higher quality than other brands. With the 20W Apple charger now only $20, is something like these from Anker still a better choice?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0828WB2VR/
https://smile.amazon.com/Anker-AK-A2017111-27W-PD-Port/dp/B07DFQTW2C/

This 65W ZMI is Wirecutter's pick:
https://www.amazon.com/ZMI-zPower-Turbo-Power-Adapter/dp/B07D64QLQ1/

If you are just charging your phone, you only need 20W.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WRKXQ8W

As a bonus, PowerIQ also does Qualcomm Quick Charge, which includes some not so old Android devices, if you have any.
edit: PowerIQ 3 I mean. Not sure how the older versions worked, but they've been good to me overall.

Note that those thousands of ratings are for the older 18W model. Why does Amazon allow that? Shady AF IMO. They should at least let you segregate reviews.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 14, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Three Olives posted:

You can get $500 for that phone on Swappa. Did you click the "glass is cracked" or something on the trade-in questions?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because Amazon has gone full corporate evil and doesn't give a gently caress as long as people buy stuff.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Because Amazon has gone full corporate evil and doesn't give a gently caress as long as people buy stuff.

Not sure that's a recent change haha.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Charles posted:

Not sure that's a recent change haha.

Well yeah, they've been 100% evil for a while. The swap a product and keep old reviews trick has been happening for a couple years.

But I think people are catching on to how evil lately.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

FCKGW posted:

You can get $500 for that phone on Swappa. Did you click the "glass is cracked" or something on the trade-in questions?

No, phone is in basically perfect condition besides the fact that it never had a screen protector so has very, very, very minor light scratching on the screen, nothing deep though.

That is my point, sell my iPhone for way more than a phone with a $95 trade in value costs, trade in the cheaper phone, pocket the difference. Hell, if I'm just going to trade it in to AT&T I might as well just swap phones with my sister-in-law or friend for their 8 and let them keep it, I would be any worse off and they would have a better phone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Can't wait to get the blue phone and then stick it in a case and never look at it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ratbert90 posted:

"What time is it in California?" Would get you your answer.

actually, that would supply pacific daylight time, since daylight savings time runs until november 1. i think that's part of why siri sucks at the question. can't figure out if the asker intends to get the time in san francisco or if they actually want time from a time zone no one's using at the moment or just UTC-8. it seems to me they just decided to only support "what time is it in $location?" so people are steered to questions they can process consistently.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Has anyone used the Apple Card to buy an iPhone w/ the 24-payment option without having their own carrier account? I don't have an AT&T account and just take the SIM out of my work phone and put it into my iPhone. When I tried to buy an iPhone X with the iPhone Upgrade Program (pre Apple Card), they wouldn't let me, because I didn't have an AT&T account. It would seem this is resolved with the Apple Card, but I would like to confirm before spending $1300 (:wth:) on a phone!

Also, has anyone used the dual-SIM features of the newer iPhones? I have a Google Pixel w/ Google Fi, but I only really use it for traveling. It would be cool if I could use an AT&T eSIM and then my Fi physical SIM, but again this seems like something that would be problematic because I don't have an AT&T account. Is there a way I can make an eSIM work without access to the account? I am not sure I'd be able to get my company to help with that.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i'm going to record my election night meltdown in HDR 4k

New thread title.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

xzzy posted:

The only bright side is that you can post a 1 star review of something that breaks outside the return period and the seller will beg you to change it in exchange for a new unit

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Three Olives posted:

Yikes you’re getting ripped off there. On Apple’s website they’ll give me $300 for my Xs. They don’t seem to even care about storage size cause they don’t ask.

Mr. Fix It posted:

actually, that would supply pacific daylight time, since daylight savings time runs until november 1. i think that's part of why siri sucks at the question. can't figure out if the asker intends to get the time in san francisco or if they actually want time from a time zone no one's using at the moment or just UTC-8. it seems to me they just decided to only support "what time is it in $location?" so people are steered to questions they can process consistently.

What happened was I looked up a company’s phone hours and it said “8am PT” so I just asked for PT, PST, Pacific, Pacific Standard Time, etc. I grew up in a state that doesn’t do DST so I honestly have no idea if it’s currently PST or PDT or know the difference especially since my phone does it all for me. The time zone in California to me is just “pacific.” Thinking about it now yeah I should have just asked for the time in California but I didn’t think about it at the time and I didn’t realize the company was in California.

LionArcher posted:

Just accept that you’re going to have to spend $69 on a new battery in ~2 years and factor that into the price and stop worrying about your battery health and use your phone.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 14, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Finally watching the product video and they are very clearly trying to give users the best 5G experience via using 5G as little as possible.

WhyteRyce posted:

The only bright side is that you can post a 1 star review of something that breaks outside the return period and the seller will beg you to change it in exchange for a new unit

If I wasn't already ignoring 90% of my email anyway the constant begging for product reviews would be irritating.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rick posted:

Can't wait to get the blue phone and then stick it in a case and never look at it.

My friend can I show you the world of clear cases?

Currently have my pre-qual for my upgrade all set and teed up for Friday morning. First time doing a launch day iPhone online on ages. Doing a 128 Pro Blue unless I change my mind before then.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The t-mobile offer of $615 or whatever for my XR + being a customer for 5 years is tempting. I was really hoping for a USB-C port but it looks like that will be skipped altogether now.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 15, 2020

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Three Olives posted:

They are giving

FCKGW posted:

Well they are getting more than $500 since they getting a new iPhone 12 paid off. The dude is asking how to get more out of the deal

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was going to pre-order a 12 Pro on Friday because my X has been so good to me but drat that little 12 mini is barking at me like hey I might be fun. Really wish I could handle one in person, might just have to wait for stores to carry demo models.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Wait so the new iPhones have no port? Not even a lighting port?

edit: just googled it like a normal person. I really hope they don't go portless. I need the lighting port for Apple Car play.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Wait so the new iPhones have no port? Not even a lighting port?

No, they have a lightning port. They just also support qi wireless charging, including a new Magsafe charger.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TraderStav posted:

My friend can I show you the world of clear cases?

Currently have my pre-qual for my upgrade all set and teed up for Friday morning. First time doing a launch day iPhone online on ages. Doing a 128 Pro Blue unless I change my mind before then.

With the XS I had a leather case that got me compliments from strangers so now I have to use one forever, but, the thing is in the summer I had to switch to a cheap silicon case anyway due to leather cases not conducting heat well enough for the phone to stay on outside in Arizona. Maybe I will do the same this time but clear.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
The way the official Apple clear cases have the magnet design visible is deeply, deeply ugly to me. I think the Magsafe case stuff is really cool though.

I mostly just want a 4/4S style bumper case.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Zerot posted:

The way the official Apple clear cases have the magnet design visible is deeply, deeply ugly to me. I think the Magsafe case stuff is really cool though.

Do we know if there will be a saddle brown leather magsafe case?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
For some reason this case (the one with the cutout for the time) isn’t on Apple’s website.

There’s your new saddle brown leather case.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zerot posted:

lol yeah it looks absolutely terrible. why bother

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Zerot posted:

I'm guessing there will be tons of clear cases available to buy cheaply on Amazon tomorrow. I am not sold on the Apple clear case yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

don't all clear cases end up turning into off-yellow crap after a year or two or is that just third party crap?