Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Well, I dropped off my ballot yesterday so that's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

Land owners oppose new development because it threatens to undermine their property value, which is usually their largest asset. Why are you assuming renters will act likewise when they have no equity at stake? Building more housing has no direct impact on them beyond making it less scarce and therefore more affordable.

If anything, renters and California are pro-development because almost no one is content renting for their life - owning a house is the end goal of nearly every Californian I’ve ever met.
I'm pro development because it's absurd we have such a shortage of housing, but where I break with the rest of the left is the use of "Gentrification" as a way to stop anything from happening. The concern people have for those who have lived somewhere for decades is fair and why I voted for rent control, but little to no concern is paid to the far greater number of people who flat out can't afford to live near where they work and have to keep expanding out to cheaper and cheaper suburbs, getting pushed into 2 hour commutes and living in fire zones because that's the only place they can afford.

Really I think we just need Tokyo's zoning system, American zoning restrictions are far too stringent and in the service of land owners instead of people who just need a place to live.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Spazzle posted:

I know this is making GBS threads into the wind, but I'm going say here that rent control is a bad thing for exactly the same reason that prop 13 is bad. It creates a reactionary class of renters (rather than homeowners in prop 13) who can never move and will reflexively oppose any development. A high development environment has a nonzero chance of kicking them out of their low rent situation, so it becomes opposed on principle. It also fucks over the young for the benefit of those who got in long in the past.

Lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
You gotta be the dumbest fucker in the world to look at the wages vs cost of living graph and determine that actually rent control is bad lol. That's excluding the bajillions of anecdotes, including my very own life lmao

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Smythe posted:

You gotta be the dumbest fucker in the world to look at the wages vs cost of living graph and determine that actually rent control is bad lol. That's excluding the bajillions of anecdotes, including my very own life lmao

If Smythe isn't complete proof of my point that rent control creates a class of conservative reactionary FYGM renters who cloak themselves in faux populism, I don't know what else is.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Smythe, tell me, what is your go to complaint when someone proposes building an apartment in your town. Is it that it would bring in "gentrifiers"? Will the housing be too "luxury"? Maybe it will "change the character of our neighborhood"? Will there not be enough parking or the traffic it brings be too much? Maybe the building will be an "eyesore".

Tell me, as you stand there blubbering in front of the planning commission, tears streaming from your eyes and snot dripping from your nose, what will your excuse be? I'm sure you have one, and I bet you've practiced your arguments as to why its not loving us over. But hey, you have a rent controlled apartment, so why would you care if people can't afford to move there? gently caress 'em, right?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Spazzle posted:

If Smythe isn't complete proof of my point that rent control creates a class of conservative reactionary FYGM renters who cloak themselves in faux populism, I don't know what else is.

Spazzle posted:

Smythe, tell me, what is your go to complaint when someone proposes building an apartment in your town. Is it that it would bring in "gentrifiers"? Will the housing be too "luxury"? Maybe it will "change the character of our neighborhood"? Will there not be enough parking or the traffic it brings be too much? Maybe the building will be an "eyesore".

Tell me, as you stand there blubbering in front of the planning commission, tears streaming from your eyes and snot dripping from your nose, what will your excuse be? I'm sure you have one, and I bet you've practiced your arguments as to why its not loving us over. But hey, you have a rent controlled apartment, so why would you care if people can't afford to move there? gently caress 'em, right?

peak delusional YIMBY channeled into a single poster

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

like log the gently caress off bro Smythe is more leftist than you'll ever be

e: even if he does spend too much money on stonks

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Spazzle posted:

Lol, the forums need to start giving out chloe awards for performances like these

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Spazzle posted:

in my city the people who talk like you vote for republican-funded candidates

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
When Massachusetts got rid of rent control to gently caress over Boston, rents went up drastically (even on non-rent-controlled units!), evictions skyrocketed, and development didn't increase. But surely we can try the same experiment again but this time in California!

Rent control keeps people who are low-income in their homes near their work, and you know who uses public transit? People who are low-income. When you gentrify neighborhoods and push all the people living there out to the periphery so that you can get high-income people closer to their jobs for them to have a shorter commute, you also are removing the backbone of the public transit demand, and a huge chunk the high-income people that move in and replace the low-income people will take uber instead of the bus.

Tokyo's zoning system works not because of Tokyo's zoning system but because Tokyo has way less income inequality and way higher inheritance taxes. The US zoning system would work if the lower 3 quintiles of population by income had enough income and wealth for developers to develop housing for.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Foxfire_ posted:

Ballots are printed with the order of candidates shuffled randomly because otherwise the person at the top wins more. We are not clever apes.

Yeah, mine has Trump at the top spot and Biden at the bottom with Kanye in the middle.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, mine has Trump at the top spot and Biden at the bottom with Kanye in the middle.

Specifically, California orders candidates by a randomized alphabet created a couple days after the candidate registration deadline (about three months before the election is held). That alphabet is then rotated for each district (i.e. District 1 has I,L,E,O,A while District 2 has L,E,O,A,I). It's the standard of best practices, and ensures everyone gets an equal advantage.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Eminent Domain posted:

I'm extremely torn on the bail prop but I think I fall in the camp of '"if this gets voted down it's going to be along while before cash bail is under threat again" because that's probably what most messaging will seize on. I definitely am pushing for the election of progressive DAs as well to come at the problem at both ends but cash bail is a loving travesty

Sydin posted:

The hardest No vote I've ever cast: 25. Several posters have made good arguments here for why it is worse than the status quo. And ultimately a) I do not trust the CA Democrats to do anything usefully progressive and fix this broken legislation, and b) if I believed in voting for lovely half measures because they might possibly be better than what we have now if you squint, I wouldn't have this No Joe tag. It loving sucks that a No vote could potentially send a message to the legislature that cash bail is popular, but I'm more worried that 25 passes and the legislature refuses to fix the law under the guise of "reform has already been passed" when in fact "reform" has just further entrenched an incredibly racist system.

Just throwing out another recommendation to watch that video that Jaxyon posted last page from JusticeLA, it makes the most clear and convincing argument against 25 that I’ve encountered yet. The whole thing like 80 mins long but if you skip the first 5-10 mins of intro and then just listen to each panelist give their opening statement, you only need to watch like 20 mins.

It might not change your vote if you’re already leaning No, but if you’re like me it may help clear your conscience and make it easier to explain to friends why a No vote is good.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I don't post in this thread often enough to keep track of the multi-year blood feuds some of its posters are harboring, but it's really hilarious to me when some poster will make a random two sentence post and several others will pop out of the woodwork with multi-paragraph meltdowns. Keep on being you California thread.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I don't post in this thread often enough to keep track of the multi-year blood feuds some of its posters are harboring, but it's really hilarious to me when some poster will make a random two sentence post and several others will pop out of the woodwork with multi-paragraph meltdowns. Keep on being you California thread.
I need an outlet for all my political frustration that I can't get out in person against the people who identify as progressive but are spending their time advocating for protecting a surface lot downtown from development. It has a few trees that would probably die.

Meanwhile there is an SRO (actual affordable housing) that is slated to be torn down for redevelopment a couple blocks over.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 15, 2020

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

in my city the people who talk like you vote for republican-funded candidates

Ok, that's nice. I still contend if you justify self serving conservative policies as leftist you still aren't one. I don't care if you mumble some kind of solution that amounts to "full communism now" and "let the cities build free housing". Come up with some theory of how to match the supply of housing with the need for it and we'll talk. In the mean time I'm sure we'll all dunk on each other.

And given that this is about CA politics, we should all be aware that there are plenty of democrats who are just republicans who have deserted the clownshow of the CA republican party in order to get elected.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fermun posted:

When Massachusetts got rid of rent control to gently caress over Boston, rents went up drastically (even on non-rent-controlled units!), evictions skyrocketed, and development didn't increase. But surely we can try the same experiment again but this time in California!

Rent control keeps people who are low-income in their homes near their work, and you know who uses public transit? People who are low-income. When you gentrify neighborhoods and push all the people living there out to the periphery so that you can get high-income people closer to their jobs for them to have a shorter commute, you also are removing the backbone of the public transit demand, and a huge chunk the high-income people that move in and replace the low-income people will take uber instead of the bus.

Tokyo's zoning system works not because of Tokyo's zoning system but because Tokyo has way less income inequality and way higher inheritance taxes. The US zoning system would work if the lower 3 quintiles of population by income had enough income and wealth for developers to develop housing for.

if anything, rent control shouldn't be tied to residence size or construction dates at all

this whole "anything built before 1980 that's over 4 units" or whatever is just plain bullshit, it should protect all renters and no landlord should be exempt

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
I found a good article that outlines some of the strongest arguments in favor and in opposition to Prop 25. A lot of this has been echoed in the thread already, but it's still a good read.

One issue that I haven't seen brought up with voting no on Prop 25 is that it would constitutionally prohibit the legislature from passing similar legislation, so it could make passing the elimination of bail much more difficult.

https://www.courthousenews.com/the-strange-bedfellows-of-proposition-25-and-californias-fight-to-end-cash-bail/

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Another classic Anonymous Zebra post.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The funniest part is it's not even a blood feud, I don't think they've ever interacted before. That's just how people entrenched in the housing discourse in CA talk to each other.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Marketing New Brain posted:

What kind of justice org focused around people of color is silent on prop 22 on their own ballot recommendation?

The kind that specifically focuses on specific justice issues, like 25 and Measure J.

They are solidarity partners with BLM and SURJ both of which are vocally No on 22.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Spazzle posted:

Ok, that's nice. I still contend if you justify self serving conservative policies as leftist you still aren't one. I don't care if you mumble some kind of solution that amounts to "full communism now" and "let the cities build free housing". Come up with some theory of how to match the supply of housing with the need for it and we'll talk. In the mean time I'm sure we'll all dunk on each other.

And given that this is about CA politics, we should all be aware that there are plenty of democrats who are just republicans who have deserted the clownshow of the CA republican party in order to get elected.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND!
https://twitter.com/haircut_hippie/status/804186152471265280

Yet your theory of supply and demand has no ability to incorporate a concept such as induced demand. When you gentrify a neighborhood, a lot more high-income people move in, and then they, in turn, eat out more, requiring more demand for low-income restaurant workers, they don't take the bus they take ubers, building more demand for low-income uber drivers, and it goes on and on.

Why is your demand always to build market-rate housing in low income neighborhoods and you never try to work with the low-income tenant activists to force low income housing in high-income neighborhoods. Development activists show their true colors by their actions, which is always to try to gentrify and never to try to get affordable housing built in or near high-income neighborhoods. You're justifying conservative policies and your only response is a conservative answer of letting the market forces work.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Who's ready to ShakeOut?? Duck, cover, hold on, and call in sick to work!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

fermun posted:

SUPPLY AND DEMAND!
https://twitter.com/haircut_hippie/status/804186152471265280

Yet your theory of supply and demand has no ability to incorporate a concept such as induced demand. When you gentrify a neighborhood, a lot more high-income people move in, and then they, in turn, eat out more, requiring more demand for low-income restaurant workers, they don't take the bus they take ubers, building more demand for low-income uber drivers, and it goes on and on.

Why is your demand always to build market-rate housing in low income neighborhoods and you never try to work with the low-income tenant activists to force low income housing in high-income neighborhoods. Development activists show their true colors by their actions, which is always to try to gentrify and never to try to get affordable housing built in or near high-income neighborhoods. You're justifying conservative policies and your only response is a conservative answer of letting the market forces work.
This your problem Fermun, I've said no such thing, but you're too hopped up on your assumptions about who you think I am and what I believe and advocate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CPColin posted:

Who's ready to ShakeOut?? Duck, cover, hold on, and call in sick to work!

I guess there's a silver lining in my office being closed for a full week for deep cleaning because we had a positive test last Friday after all.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
wat

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1316791471173967873?s=21

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Spazzle posted:

This your problem Fermun, I've said no such thing, but you're too hopped up on your assumptions about who you think I am and what I believe and advocate.

Ok, but you espouse conservative talking points using conservative reasoning so..........??????

What do you believe and advocate for? You've posted that rent control is bad and that people who cry because they're being gentrified and evicted out of their homes are just reactionary whiners, but you are accurate that you've not stated what you believe or advocate for, just that you do not believe or advocate for low income people that are already living in their homes (though it does seem like you might support the right to affordable housing for some future poor people at an undefined time maybe 20-40 years hence?).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Spazzle posted:

:ironicat:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This is your regular "gently caress Diane Feinstein" post

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1316805807753879555

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

GrandpaPants posted:

This is your regular "gently caress Diane Feinstein" post

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1316805807753879555

I mean, yeah gently caress DiFi, but also she's senile and has no idea what's going on.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, yeah gently caress DiFi, but also she's senile and has no idea what's going on.

She hugged Lindsey Graham so at least her odds of catching the Rona and subsequently entering "early" retirement are looking up.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

She hugged Lindsey Graham so at least her odds of catching the Rona and subsequently entering "early" retirement are looking up.

Look at the optimist over here!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I hate her so much.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vox Nihili posted:

liches are immune to disease unfortunately.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, yeah gently caress DiFi, but

This is where you lost me, my dude.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Same here, although I wish I'd looked into LaRiva a little more, I thought the Peace & Freedom party was the one that were secret Nazis/Libertarians but it seems I was thinking of something else.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 15, 2020

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

The algorithm is reviewed by the Judicial Council. I suspect that review will be public knowledge.
Also:

Thank you.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kenning posted:

I hate her so much.

:hmmyes:

As someone who was around when she was mayor, I fully agree with that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Spazzle posted:

i don't know what, well, basically anything you wrote up there has to do with rent control. seems to be a lot of empty regurgitated rhetoric painting me as a nimby or something, which has nothing to do with the material conditions of life and the intersection of housing and wages.

i dont think rent should be able to go up a million percent year over year with no recourse? i cant imagine living with that kind of instability. take my 10 unit bungalow courtyard in hollywood for example. i rented here 10 years ago, under rent control my rent goes up 3% every year. thats already a lot but i guess if you worked for a good employer that would track with cola. but consider this, when a unit goes vacant and moves to market rate and new peeps move in, you know what the percent difference is between that unit and mine? 72%. more than double rent control.

as a personal anecdote, i live and work in the same neighborhood, walk to work etc. take a guess at the totality of raises I've gotten in the 13 years ive been at my company (nonprofit.) 5%

i dont think i could raise a family not knowing if my rent would jack up 20% month to month or upon lease expiration/renewal. people should be allowed the dignity of stability. people should not have to live with the looming terror of housing insecurity. it is your home. it is your only sanctuary in this world.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 15, 2020