Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm missing miso soup now, the tamagoyaki looks wonderful, did you add sugar or naw?

No sugar. Just salt, soy sauce, and mirin albeit aji-mirin. (I think)

I have yet to find any hon-mirin locally. I'm sure I could find some at the "local" Mitsuwa but it's almost an hour away and I already have a 24 oz bottle of mirim with the least sketchiest ingredients (hell no to anything with HFCS) I could find at the local Asian food market. On the other hand, it looks like their food court is open which is the only other reason I would drive for that long and into one of the most densely populated regions of NJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Aji-mirin is trash, it's worth the money for the real stuff. Eden Foods makes real mirin you can get on Amazon and probably other places. Take a sip side by side and you'll dump the aji-mirin bottle down the drain in a second.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edward IV posted:

a grilled cheese pan
What makes it different from other pans? Just that it's the shape and size of a standard slice of bread?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Seafood Ragout over Polenta.

I need to start cooking more calamari. It’s really easy. Glad I decided to go with the jumbo scallops and sear them separately. They had some great color on them and came out about perfect.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Tiggum posted:

What makes it different from other pans? Just that it's the shape and size of a standard slice of bread?

Pretty much and it was advertised as such. The fact that it's around the shape of and slightly larger than a slice of bread, which doesn't easily lend itself to getting a spatula underneath to flip a grilled cheese and gives you a really small target to land the uncooked side on, and that I could easily do cook a grilled cheese with my cast iron pan with likely better results is why I think that the original concept is so stupid.

The only reason I don't use my cast iron pan for Tamagoyaki is that I need to shift the pan around a lot to get the egg to completely spread out into a thin layer and cast iron is way too loving heavy to be doing that each time I go to make a new layer.

Grand Fromage posted:

Aji-mirin is trash, it's worth the money for the real stuff. Eden Foods makes real mirin you can get on Amazon and probably other places. Take a sip side by side and you'll dump the aji-mirin bottle down the drain in a second.

The fact that not all mirim state whether aji-mirin or hon-mirim and I can't always rely on trying to match Japanese characters really hampered my attempt to find hon-mirim. Good to know that the Eden stuff is the real deal so I'll keep an eye out for it.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Raikiri posted:

Roasted squash and roasted garlic puree, purple potato, tenderstem broccoli, griddled bratwurst and toasted sunflower seeds.

:eyepop:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Honey tamari chicken w/ broccoli and rice

We have way too much basil, so we also made basil simple syrup, which turned into gin + homemade limoncello + basil syrup cocktails which turned out amazing

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Steak tartare

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

127° ny strip
port reduced onion

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Three cherry tomatoes? No butter for the potato? :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
There was butter and sour cream a plenty.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Time for frittata! Too hot to fire up the cast iron and the oven to make these in the summer. Haven’t made one in a couple of months before tonight.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Time for frittata! Too hot to fire up the cast iron and the oven to make these in the summer. Haven’t made one in a couple of months before tonight.

drat fine eggs. drat fine

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Why does everyone cut up the entire steak at once instead of as they go? What's wrong with you people.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

atothesquiz posted:

Why does everyone cut up the entire steak at once instead of as they go? What's wrong with you people.

because i can't put one steak on two plates.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

toplitzin posted:

because i can't put one steak on two plates.

You know that's not what I mean.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
It's an aesthetic choice. It looks good and if you're doing a sauce or garnish it usually looks better than saucing or garnishing a whole solid-brown slab. It also lets you reshape the steak to fit it on the plate with whatever else you're serving.

Also its more interesting for posting because you can see the doneness. It's not appealing to look at someone's food half-eaten, so if you wanna show off the interior it's a good way to do it.

Nothing wrong with serving a steak whole either.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I do slice my steak when I do a chimmichuri but the recipe told me to do that so :shrug:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

For me it’s purely aesthetic.

If I’m dead-set on taking a picture of a steak and it isn’t looking quite right on the plate, or if anything is visually off about it, slicing it up can usually make it a little more camera friendly.

If I’m not taking pictures, the steak stays whole.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just tittering if you don't eat your steak jabbed onto a knife like a troubled popsicle

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Slicing something up and positioning it appropriately always adds more interest - a bit of zest! or action to photography. This is true of food photography, landscape photography, and even portraits.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Please don't slice up the nude models

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Please don't slice up the nude models

Eat them whole.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

angerbeet posted:

Slicing something up and positioning it appropriately always adds more interest - a bit of zest! or action to photography. This is true of food photography, landscape photography, and even portraits.

the halloween avatar owns ngl

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

atothesquiz posted:

Someone has never eaten a flank/skirt/hanger steak cut with the grain.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

whos that broooown posted:

Someone has never eaten a flank/skirt/hanger steak cut with the grain.

These aint those cuts

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
So, managed to grow my desert chiltepín plant in the northeast and today I decided to pick some peppers for dinner

Made some salsa... but what to eat it with?

Tenderlion and bone marrow tacos...

... with fried chives

For sides

fried serrano peppers and grilled bulb onions.

and some refried beans, and cilantro and raw onion... and of course, dunk the homemade flour tortillas on the bone marrow drippings

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

omg I've had these little things before, surprisingly hot.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ogarza posted:

So, managed to grow my desert chiltepín plant in the northeast and today I decided to pick some peppers for dinner

Made some salsa... but what to eat it with?

Tenderlion and bone marrow tacos...

... with fried chives

For sides

fried serrano peppers and grilled bulb onions.

and some refried beans, and cilantro and raw onion... and of course, dunk the homemade flour tortillas on the bone marrow drippings

We may be strangers, thousands of miles away from each other and unlikely to ever meet, but this post filled me with brotherly affection for you.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
First time I’ve ever fried chicken! Not perfect plating and you can see some of my cooking mistakes by looking close, but this is the prettiest thing I’ve ever plated.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

fr0id posted:

First time I’ve ever fried chicken! Not perfect plating and you can see some of my cooking mistakes by looking close, but this is the prettiest thing I’ve ever plated.

Looks good to me. I’m glad fried chicken is kind of a pain in the rear end for me to make, otherwise I’d make it way too much.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How many of you remember the Culturally Ignorant Cuisine thread?

I saw a lovely bottle of death-themed dark beer and decided to re-make "Doom Rooster" in honour of the OP of that long-dead thread.
Last time, I marinated a whole chicken in a bottle of death-themed dark beer and then roasted it. The marinade didn't really do much in terms of either flavour or appearance, it was just a roasted chicken (which is to say, delicious).

This time, I decided to tackle one of my favourite "I have a whole chicken here, what should I do?" recipes, Coq au Vin. From my 2007 Betty Crocker cookbook. But with the beer instead of wine.
Coq au Doom by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Apologies for somewhat blurry phone pics.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

Not my dinner but I work at an Asian restaurant. Here's a basic noodle bowl I made tonight with broccoli, pickled daikon, red onion, carrots, and chicken. Edit: oh and a fried egg

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Thai seafood curry I made last night. Only thing I would change is doubling the amount of basil leaves I used. Every bite with a basil leaf was perfect!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Inspired by a couple of the other forums, I've thrown up a feedback thread for GWS here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944730

Swing by if you've got opinions or suggestions, or something you want to get off your chest!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Couple of the nicer looking dinners lately:

Carbonara and eggplant au gratin

Poulet au vinaigre

al pomodoro

Chicken sammich

Yes, I only own the one set of plates.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
reverse sear, basted in garlic basil butter

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I've not burged (or posted) in a while.

Figured it's time to correct that.

Fried chicken thighs, marinated in my own special blend carolina reaper hot sauce, with a herb seasoned flour dredge, topped with cheddar slices, lettuce, shallot, and a garlic, dill and pickle mayo, in brioche.

Working from home has it's upsides.