Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly graces felt way more chill to me than vesperia, it was just a goofy game with a bad plot that didnt get in the way of the character dynamics and you and your cool friends could do dmc combos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I meant in terms of the combat. Xillia is RPGish but it's way faster paced, same with Graces. And I like Graces, but I wish I still had some old-school Vesperia-like games instead of everything being hyperspeed forever, y'know?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Tales of Eternia is good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk, if i wanted a slower game i wouldnt be playing a real-time game.

a lot of this expectation is probably also borne of the western release schedules. if you're used to only the games that came out here then the shift to the 'graces' style being the default would feel jarring but with the jp releases in mind its just one of the two formats the series has always had being picked, and its the one people tended to like more combat-wise

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think the reason I'm so defensive of Vesperia is that it was the last Tales game that was actually slow and chill. Ever since then the games have trended faster and faster and I miss the oldschool TP-based more RPG-ish style.

I hear ya on that, I miss it too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

a lot of this expectation is probably also borne of the western release schedules. if you're used to only the games that came out here then the shift to the 'graces' style being the default would feel jarring but with the jp releases in mind its just one of the two formats the series has always had being picked, and its the one people tended to like more combat-wise

I just think there's room for real time but slow paced, is all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean slower more methodical combat would work sure but. the problem is tales never aimed to be that and when it was that it did not do it well

like tales of phantasia on psx is a very slow game but it's mostly slow because they still didn't figure out how to do tales combat yet and half of the game is watching spell animations. i'd enjoy slow real-time combat if the game actually made it tactically engaging and slower tales games just don't do that. meanwhile tales of eternia is like, the skeleton that all early 3d tales games built off of and it's kinda slow and clunky but it's built to fit a 20 hour long game and not a 50+ hour long one

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 16, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Like I said, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on it since I really really enjoy Tales of Vesperia to this day and think it does a lot well. The only two big negative marks I have against it personally are that Act 3 really sucks, which is saying something as I tend to not pay much attention to the plot in these games so it had to suck pretty dramatically for me to notice, and that it still has godawful easily missed sidequests that basically require a guide open to not mess up. Freaking Brionac. But besides those two points, to me ToV is the ideal Tales game. I just think the speed ToV moves at is absolutely perfect for me, while later games are just too dang fast.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Turn based combat in PoE2 owns.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

this is a weird sentiment to me. action combat can only be blazingly fast twitch action?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

okage shadow king is like if the wild arms 2 localization team had to handle a pure comedy script

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amppelix posted:

this is a weird sentiment to me. action combat can only be blazingly fast twitch action?

For real though like Tales games aren't blazing fast or anything, even the more recent ones.

But Vesperia's slow even among some of its contemporaries in the series. Fine if you like it but there's other Tales games with slowish combat that I think are better.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For real though like Tales games aren't blazing fast or anything, even the more recent ones.
you're not wrong but i have a bad case of dumb brain and borderline can't handle even berseria/graces.

i need all combo-based action games to have the accessibility mode from Celeste where you can slow down the entire game to an arbitrary multiplier of your choosing

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Amppelix posted:

i need all combo-based action games to have the accessibility mode from Celeste where you can slow down the entire game to an arbitrary multiplier of your choosing

tbqh all games ever need this, in both directions

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The 7th Guest posted:

okage shadow king is like if the wild arms 2 localization team had to handle a pure comedy script

okage's translation is much better than wild arms 2's, it's at least sort of possible to decipher the more complex parts of its storyline and the character dialog is somewhat understandable at worst

misc text kinda melts at the end and i feel bad for whoever had to translate epros' dialog though. and uh i dunno why they changed ari's eyes to look less weird cause it just makes him stick out as looking weirder than everyone else for having eyes drawn in an entirely different style

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Vesperia was my first Tales game, and by Act 3 I stopped caring about the plot or characters, and when I looked up stuff about the combat online I was told that all of the good poo poo was in New Game Plus, and I think a game has to be compelling enough to finish the first time before I'm going to bother a second playthrough.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

okage's translation is much better than wild arms 2's, it's at least sort of possible to decipher the more complex parts of its storyline and the character dialog is somewhat understandable at worst

misc text kinda melts at the end and i feel bad for whoever had to translate epros' dialog though. and uh i dunno why they changed ari's eyes to look less weird cause it just makes him stick out as looking weirder than everyone else for having eyes drawn in an entirely different style
it's somewhat understandable but it is often translated so oddly that it feels like characters are talking beyond each other. and then sometimes a joke just gets completely mangled and lands with a wet splat. it reminds me of the translation of racist point n click adventure game Jack Orlando

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The 7th Guest posted:

it's somewhat understandable but it is often translated so oddly that it feels like characters are talking beyond each other. and then sometimes a joke just gets completely mangled and lands with a wet splat. it reminds me of the translation of racist point n click adventure game Jack Orlando

that's a hell of an example lol

but yeah i wish okage could get like. even just an hd remaster with a redone tl and a combat overhaul. even if the overhaul was just to make all the combat piss easy and much faster that'd be fine, its script isn't amazing but it has enough interesting ideas and genuinely touching moments that it carries itself decently on its own

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I would love a remaster for Okage. Legitimately it's a super interesting game just bogged down by buckets of jank.

The story is definitely like, way more interesting than it has any right to be. It's plot twist completely blindsided me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

that's a hell of an example lol
having only experienced Orlando through retsupurae, some of the mangled jokes/conversations in okage do remind me of the conversations between Orlando and NPCs where it's like...

"hey, joe, a half a glass of the bad juice would fill a fella right now" "seems like you need a glass AND a half" "nice to see the concept of gratitude is still alive and well" "i don't need your back talk, jack, go sit in a chair" "maybe I will, if the chair is empty" "gently caress you JACK"

as for the game itself, i just wish battle was faster, it's really slow and coming out of battle is slower, drat.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

YggiDee posted:

Vesperia was my first Tales game, and by Act 3 I stopped caring about the plot or characters, and when I looked up stuff about the combat online I was told that all of the good poo poo was in New Game Plus, and I think a game has to be compelling enough to finish the first time before I'm going to bother a second playthrough.

This is the other thing about Vesperia. The game has incredibly die-hard combat fans but they've all got 700 hours on their file that's on their dozenth New Game + where every character has every skill unlocked, max AP, the accessory that negates TP costs, and every move used 5000 times for the bonuses. If you're just trying to get to credits, and especially if you're just trying to beat enemies and not engineer sick air combos, it starts hobbled and ends mediocre.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Caphi posted:

This is the other thing about Vesperia. The game has incredibly die-hard combat fans but they've all got 700 hours on their file that's on their dozenth New Game + where every character has every skill unlocked, max AP, the accessory that negates TP costs, and every move used 5000 times for the bonuses.

That sounds like torture. I can't think of an RPG with gameplay so good that it'd make NG+ (without new story) worth it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Many games, even one of my favorites of all time Doom 5, do not start you with all your tools and this in and of itself isn't an issue. The problem with Vesperia is you start really limited and a lot of the things you are missing feel less like tools and more like QoL basics, and when you do get them they aren't free and thus "make combat feel better to play" has to compete with "do more cool things in combat". Further the game metes these out really really slowly, by the time you've paid your make combat less stiff taxes and can freely start spending on cool stuff the game is ending.

Despite everything I just typed: the game is now on Game Pass so fire it up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I too couldn't enjoy Berseria without mashing the attack button over and over desperately trying to make up for lovely gatcha rates.

Haha, yeah, I downloaded it 20 minutes ago since it looks decent and I'm already destitute.

I can't imagine how bad it would've been if I wasn't playing on PS4 though. I'd probably be a few hundred thousand in the hole.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've played gacha games for a little over a year and have never spent money on the gacha. i also don't get half the gacha characters but that's life, at least i have one skadi in one gacha game

however the tales gacha game is not one of those cause despite that game having some really cool writing i hate playing it too much

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Colonel posted:

\ at least i have one skadi in one gacha game

Which one?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
arknights

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i've played gacha games for a little over a year and have never spent money on the gacha. i also don't get half the gacha characters but that's life, at least i have one skadi in one gacha game

however the tales gacha game is not one of those cause despite that game having some really cool writing i hate playing it too much

Well you sound like a much bigger expert on it than me.

Is FE Heroes a gacha? I assumed it was but I'm not sure.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

it is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RareAcumen posted:

it is and ive never played it but ive heard nothing but bad things about it outside of it having a scene once that confirmed fiora is bisexual

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
its fun

probably miserable to start as a new player in 2020 though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
out of the gachas I've tried, it's the only one where the gameplay crosses the bar of fun

e: though I haven't played a ton, it's so much better than the other gachas I've tried in everything but story that I'm sort of surprised that you've heard nothing but negative press

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 16, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FEH is a game where you get roughly nothing for playing a lot and like 99% of your power comes from the gacha. A lot of people hate that because it means it's a game they have no reason to play and is instead just a slot machine where you power is determined randomly (or by whaling). On the other hand, it's also a game you don't need to play very much, so it doesn't try to consume your entire life like other gacha games sometimes do. And they're not un-generous with free orbs. It's also a game where all the actual gameplay is composed of short deterministic puzzles, and it's trivial to reach max level so everything boils down to your own personal puzzle solving skills, no grinding necessary.

Also the plot sucks so much, oh my god it's impossible to overstate how impossible it is to care about anything that happens.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 16, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

La Pucelle's english release was hilarious in that they removed crosses from a game about a nun who fights evil alongside a guy who is Literally Nicholas D. Wolfwood which lead to some remarkably awkward scenes including one where a character was originally crucified and in the release was just... standing on a stump with her arms out.

As with Terranigma for the SNES, the European versions had crosses all over the place. Weird how this censor-bullshit always generated multiple English versions to confuse the world with.

RareAcumen posted:

Man, Fenrich is a really good unit. I wasn't impressed with him as a DLC character for 5 but he's my strongest physical unit as long as I set him next to Valvatorez. Nearly 300 attack and I haven't even completed chapter 2 yet.

Also whoever said that defense doesn't matter wasn't kidding, most of my kills are from counter attacks doing 3 times the damage of the initial attack.

I always seem to manage getting Fenrich killed in important battles. (In 4, that is. Haven't played 5 yet.) But even in 4, counters are deadly. (One of the reasons Fenrich dies over and over is me accidentally setting him up against multiple strong enemies with multiple counters, and then they punch it out until he is dead. :v: )

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Frankly, you're a coward if you're not intentionally setting up punch duels where you counter-counter like 20 times until someone (the enemy) is dead.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the gacha in genshin impact doesnt seem so bad. the upgrade system seems like an absolute nightmare to keep track off tho, like most gacha games. that stuff just drains my soul in seconds. i suppose its purposefully designed to be as awful as possible so you go "gently caress it ill just buy this poo poo"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

yeah horizontal progression hell is a pretty common feature of the handful of gachas ive tried

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whatever part of me that makes me completely unable to engage with gacha games is both inexplicable and appreciated.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Pour one out for Star Ocean Anamnesis, the only phone gacha game with a good combat system (until they released the character with a skill that crashes the game and never fixed it)

Leraika fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

Whatever part of me that makes me completely unable to engage with gacha games is both inexplicable and appreciated.

Same. I gave Genshin Impact a fair shake but when I got to the point where the free pulls dried up and the stack of incentives to use the cash stock started piling up I just immediately lost interest.

Theres a really good game buried in there underneath the horrible character and gear systems though, genuinely feel bad its tied to such an exploitative monetisation system