Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

laserghost posted:

Buy Quake 1 on GOG, it comes with an original .iso image
.iso doesn't help since the soundtrack is redbook audio. But according to one of the GOG comments it comes with three .bin/.cues (original game and the two mission packs). That's really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

This is why the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever is technically Unreal Engine 1 but is really a mountain of UE 2.x, UE 3, and a bunch of homegrown code built on that foundation. Epic kept sending code and resources to 3D Realms. They honored the deal.
As I understand it, UE1 slowly, gradually evolved into UE2 over time. This is why, if you look at really early footage of UE2's announcement, all the gameplay bits are clearly UT99. UE3 rebooted large chunks of the engine such as the renderer and physics. So DNF is somewhere between UE1 and UE2 with a billion tons of rewrites and customizations on top.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

The Kins posted:

As I understand it, UE1 slowly, gradually evolved into UE2 over time. This is why, if you look at really early footage of UE2's announcement, all the gameplay bits are clearly UT99. UE3 rebooted large chunks of the engine such as the renderer and physics. So DNF is somewhere between UE1 and UE2 with a billion tons of rewrites and customizations on top.

I could have sworn 3DR was getting code drops from Unreal Engine 3 too, but it's been years... I guess I was wrong. Thank you for the clarification.

The console ports were definitely vanilla UE3 with Forever's assets dropped in. I remember hearing bitching about the mini-game physics there and thinking, "well, that's what happens when you design for one physics engine and then bludgeon a port into existence with an entirely different one."

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Keiya posted:

Does anyone know of a reliable source for Quake 1 CDs? Shareware is fine, even, I'm just sick of having to dig around the internet to find the soundtrack whenever I reinstall it from Steam. Failing that the only legal option I can think of would be to get a record player and the vinyl release and record the soundtrack off that.

why would you ever uninstall quake ?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Squeezy Farm posted:

why would you ever uninstall quake ?

Do you think dozens of megabytes grow on trees?!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sometimes you buy a new computer. Quake isn't Doom, it has to be installed, it doesn't just spontaneously start running on any piece of new hardware.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've had the same install of doom installed in D:\GAMES\DOOM since 1999

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Do you think dozens of megabytes grow on trees?!

If the GOG version with the expansion packs and soundtrack file size is correct, that's 1.1 GB total. I could fit like 7 of those on my computer from 1999-2000, but nowadays, while megabytes don't grow on trees, I am swimming in them. If I filled up all my free space available right now, I could fit 1,242.554 Quakes in my PC, and that's not counting the 3 copies I have scattered around my harddrives

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You're not a real Quake fan if you don't have five digits of copies on your Quake NAS

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

.iso doesn't help since the soundtrack is redbook audio. But according to one of the GOG comments it comes with three .bin/.cues (original game and the two mission packs). That's really cool.

Can't you just mount the ISO (standard Windows feature at this point, I think) and then for all intents and purposes it acts like a CD?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
.iso files don't contain redbook audio. They're the contents of the first (data) track of the CD, while the audio is on subsequent tracks. This is why you can play the Quake soundtrack on an audio CD player.

.bin/.cue files contain all tracks of a CD, including the file system and subsequent audio tracks. As far as I know you can't mount these natively in Windows but there might be third party tools to do it. In the old days, the audio was played natively by the CD-ROM drive and mixed with your computer's audio at the sound card. I have absolutely no idea how that works in the modern era, but my guess is that there's tools to convert the redbook audio tracks to .wav files and then you can probably import those into a modern Quake source port or something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

guys you can find all the Quake soundtracks in like the first result of a google search it's not even a sketch website either.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sir Lemming posted:

Can't you just mount the ISO (standard Windows feature at this point, I think) and then for all intents and purposes it acts like a CD?

No, because the ISO only contains the data track. In the hoary old days of Redbook audio, you'd need to rip down the audio as a separate .bin/.cue to make a disc-accurate rip. Quake reserved track #1 for its data and tracks #2-11 for the rest of the soundtrack - this was before multisession was common. Reminder, as always, to never play track #1 on stereo equipment you care about - it ain't music, and it isn't designed to be played back.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

.bin/.cue files contain all tracks of a CD, including the file system and subsequent audio tracks. As far as I know you can't mount these natively in Windows but there might be third party tools to do it. In the old days, the audio was played natively by the CD-ROM drive and mixed with your computer's audio at the sound card. I have absolutely no idea how that works in the modern era, but my guess is that there's tools to convert the redbook audio tracks to .wav files and then you can probably import those into a modern Quake source port or something.

In days of yore you'd have a CD audio cable - a discrete, separate thing from the actual drive data cable - acting as a means of ferrying the data from the CD to the sound card, where it would feed into an input port on the card and the mixing would happen there. That hasn't been an option for many years - SATA onward rendered it obsolete, and even before that starting around Windows 2000 the drive would just read the audio, pull it down over the bus, and feed it to the application through some trickery I never bothered reading about. Grabbing raw CD audio and converting it to .WAV is trivial - all the way back in the late '90s BeOS even gave you the option in its Tracker to open a CD volume, grab the tracks, and it would automagically rip them to your storage medium of choice. Pointing an encoder at them afterward was easy as pie.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 16, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you play track 1 Cthulhu pops out of the speaker and kills you

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Keiya posted:

Does anyone know of a reliable source for Quake 1 CDs? Shareware is fine, even, I'm just sick of having to dig around the internet to find the soundtrack whenever I reinstall it from Steam. Failing that the only legal option I can think of would be to get a record player and the vinyl release and record the soundtrack off that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCYW6BxVuhA

plus https://youtubetomp3music.com/en5/ or similar?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volte posted:

Microsoft should automatically populate drives with a games folder. I've been using them since msdos 6.0.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hasturtium posted:

That hasn't been an option for many years - SATA onward rendered it obsolete, and even before that starting around Windows 2000 the drive would just read the audio, pull it down over the bus, and feed it to the application through some trickery I never bothered reading about.
So my most recent computer (which I do use daily) that has any CD compatibility has a PATA DVD±RW drive in it. I think it still has an analog audio connector but I don't have that connected. I'm not sure what it says that I still use this thing.

Edit: As far as I know it still works too. Although the floppy drive thinks it permanently has a disk inserted even when it doesn't.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So my most recent computer (which I do use daily) that has any CD compatibility has a PATA DVD±RW drive in it. I think it still has an analog audio connector but I don't have that connected. I'm not sure what it says that I still use this thing.

Edit: As far as I know it still works too. Although the floppy drive thinks it permanently has a disk inserted even when it doesn't.

All of my desktops have working Blu-ray drives and the weirdest one - a Core i5 2400 with a PCIe x16 slot and six vanilla PCI slots - also has a PATA DVD burner with CD audio cable connected to a Yamaha PCI sound card. I'm tempted to cram MS-DOS 7.10 onto a 120 gig SSD in it and see if I can make boomer shooters run so fast they fly into orbit.

I don't know anything about fixing floppy drives, but yours could be reparable. At this point it may be worthwhile to grab a 3.5" front panel USB cover and snag a USB floppy drive instead... It'd be a lot more generally useful.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's crazy, I didn't know that about ISO, thought it was just an exact image of the disc in every way.

I'm really glad those days are over.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hasturtium posted:

I could have sworn 3DR was getting code drops from Unreal Engine 3 too, but it's been years... I guess I was wrong. Thank you for the clarification.

The console ports were definitely vanilla UE3 with Forever's assets dropped in. I remember hearing bitching about the mini-game physics there and thinking, "well, that's what happens when you design for one physics engine and then bludgeon a port into existence with an entirely different one."

Always fun/nostalgic to see folks talking about the wild DNF development. I'm okay with the inner workings of DNF remaining a mystery, but is there any source to that info about the ports? The game in general looks and plays the same, would be surprising if it was really recreated via assets put into a different engine.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hasturtium posted:

All of my desktops have working Blu-ray drives and the weirdest one - a Core i5 2400 with a PCIe x16 slot and six vanilla PCI slots - also has a PATA DVD burner with CD audio cable connected to a Yamaha PCI sound card. I'm tempted to cram MS-DOS 7.10 onto a 120 gig SSD in it and see if I can make boomer shooters run so fast they fly into orbit.

I don't know anything about fixing floppy drives, but yours could be reparable. At this point it may be worthwhile to grab a 3.5" front panel USB cover and snag a USB floppy drive instead... It'd be a lot more generally useful.

I’ve always wondered how older games would work if you made them run off of a RAM drive in DOS emulation.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve always wondered how older games would work if you made them run off of a RAM drive in DOS emulation.

Given that modern CPUs have enough cache in them to run DOS games entirely on-die when they aren't fetching out for resources, if you're already running from an SSD I don't know if you'd notice the difference.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Volte posted:

Me, but replace that with Winamp. My Doom folder is almost as old, but nowhere near as old as Winamp.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:f5:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also, more Machinegames anniversary: Jerk Gustaffson looks back at the studio's history and various team members discuss the past, present and future.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Isn’t GOG also trying to get ahold of the NOLF license? Are they cooperating at all?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

david_a posted:

Isn’t GOG also trying to get ahold of the NOLF license? Are they cooperating at all?

Night Dive cleared with Activision and Fox but WB blocked at the last minute. Things might look better in the future with Blade Runner getting re-released, a WB property.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I have made the corporate decision that every piece of hardware running Linux my firm ships shall have a copy of doom on it regardless of end use and including potato hardware. I feel good about this. Is there an ansible script somewhere that will pull down and compile chocolate/rum&raisin and grab the freedoom iwads?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Openwrt: 6 MB
freedoom1.wad: 26.02 MB
And that's before you consider that chocolate relies on things like a working X server...

On the other hand heck yeah run Doom on all the things. Maybe those particularly tiny variants should use miniwad though

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I had never seen that mini wad, that owns

the least grunty hardware I have designed that can ship has a beagle bone black as the host controller and we have since moved to rPI4s or rock pi Xs for all future hardware so the potatoness is wholly overwrought

although now I want to try to stuff miniwad onto like an ESP or some poo poo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

Night Dive cleared with Activision and Fox but WB blocked at the last minute. Things might look better in the future with Blade Runner getting re-released, a WB property.
Blade Runner is owned by Alcon Entertainment, whose distribution deal with Warner Bros expired last year.

Apparently Stephen Kick at Night Dive spent ages trying to get in touch with someone from the Blade Runner Partnership to talk about the game rights, and a few weeks after he finally managed it Alcon bought the whole shindig and he had to start all over again. :smith:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Keiya posted:

Openwrt: 6 MB
freedoom1.wad: 26.02 MB
And that's before you consider that chocolate relies on things like a working X server...

On the other hand heck yeah run Doom on all the things. Maybe those particularly tiny variants should use miniwad though

Didn't original Linux Doom come with an svgalib variant? I'm surprised nobody ported Chocolate Doom to it, but I also haven't heard anybody mention svgalib in at least 15 years...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well maybe WB will forget about NOLF but probably not since some lawyer will be like “wait we own monolith right? *checks notes* uhhhhhhhhhhh yes. Judge!”

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://twitter.com/Doomed_Daniel/status/1317467101855088643?s=20

https://twitter.com/Doomed_Daniel/status/1317489311869243399?s=20

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm glad somebody clarified that about ISO, because yes, GOG doesn't give you an ISO, they give you a (renamed) BIN/CUE (as in the .BIN file is a ".GOG file").

Oh, but BIN/CUE sometimes isn't enough, either, copy protection tends to screw that over. You'd need something like the CloneCD format (CCD/IMG) or Media Descriptor File (MDF/MDS) to capture metadata and subsector data as well, which is usually sufficient to placate those.

Incidentally, Windows 10 only mounts ISO images natively. The rest can get stuffed as far as it cares.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Found a Lovecraft Doom mod that's certainly got A Look: https://www.moddb.com/mods/he-came-from-beyond

quote:

A Lovecraftian first person adventure set within a diary of a madman. Made using the original Doom engine, with every texture, sprite and letter hand-drawn on post-its.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mordja posted:

Found a Lovecraft Doom mod that's certainly got A Look: https://www.moddb.com/mods/he-came-from-beyond

That looks loving rad as hell. How does it play?

EDIT: Ah, it’s not out yet.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 17, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Return of the Obra Doom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

gently caress that looks good.