Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TulliusCicero posted:

This is also an incredibly bad lie

Like seriously, why believe anything that comes out of that campaign?

If they were going to lie, they'd make up better numbers than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Grondoth posted:

One of the reasons I keep wondering about what will happen to the GOP is because Trump is both clearly an electoral problem but is their base. The party never wanted him in charge, but he embodies who actually votes for them so it didn't matter what they wanted. Our dumbfuck electoral college let him become president even though he lost the popular vote by a lot, but the midterms really went bad for them and it at least looks like 2020 will be too. The smart thing would be to memory hole him and move on, but he will absolutely not let them and has more or less control over their voting base. So what the gently caress do they even do? Stick with him until he dies? Distance themselves until he gets angry and splits the party? There's not really a good option here.

There are plenty of intelligent Republican leaders who understand that the party is headed for an electoral ditch as a southern regional party. They have wanted to focus less on cultural issues and more on their evil FYGM policies for a decade, but they keep getting blocked by their raving mad bloc of racists and ultrareligious nuts. Their long-term future has to be to become Libertarians.

Trump winning set them back badly, if the much feared horrifying villain Hillary had won, that may have shocked the GOP base into really looking seriously at what they need to change in order to win, but racism defeated a horribly unpopular candidate who depressed Dem turnout, barely, and that shocking victory is probably going to cause the racists and religious nutjobs to insist on rerunning the same play into a brick wall until the leaders finally get their party back under control.

Trump's horrifically bad presidency has handed the Dems an opportunity to make a hell of a lot of progress, beginning with HR1 which would make it much more difficult to win with a gerrymandered minority.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 16, 2020

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

For comparison, Trump won Alaska by around 15% in 2016. If that raw margin holds, that's a backslide of about 9%.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FMguru posted:

Alas, the poll is of "adults", not "citizens" or "registered voters" or "likely voters" so it really isn't measuring anything electorally useful.

If Trump plunges through his 43% favorable floor with republicans he’s in danger, the party is in danger, of more than just losing his election.

If what’s left of ‘mainstream’ conservatives turn on him he could lose ACB as the party tries to wildly course correct.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wonder how long hatred of Trump, whether he wins or not, is going to have an effect. Will it matter in 2024 if a Republican senator up for re-election has photos of him and Donald Trump hanging out?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That AP poll always has Trumps approval way lower than everyone else.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Murgos posted:

If what’s left of ‘mainstream’ conservatives turn on him he could lose ACB as the party tries to wildly course correct.

There's zero chance that Senate Republicans will back down from this confirmation, regardless of polling. 40 years of ACB on the court is worth even 10 years of electoral defeats to them.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

No way he will lose ACB. The republicans absolutely will not let that go and doing so would lose their religious base.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

twice burned ice posted:

There's zero chance that Senate Republicans will back down from this confirmation, regardless of polling. 40 years of ACB on the court is worth even 10 years of electoral defeats to them.

And even if the GOP believed the implied threat that confirming ACB will lead to court-packing, they would probably assume we're talking about 11 and not 13, and backing down would be the same as the Dems proving they weren't bluffing, so there is no benefit to giving in. (Dems filling the seat, vs getting ACB in exchange for 2 new Dem judges) So, they may as well call the bluff and see if the Dems actually will expand the court. They still have reason to hope that Feinstein and a couple others might decorum their way into a self-own.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grondoth posted:

One of the reasons I keep wondering about what will happen to the GOP is because Trump is both clearly an electoral problem but is their base. The party never wanted him in charge, but he embodies who actually votes for them so it didn't matter what they wanted. Our dumbfuck electoral college let him become president even though he lost the popular vote by a lot, but the midterms really went bad for them and it at least looks like 2020 will be too. The smart thing would be to memory hole him and move on, but he will absolutely not let them and has more or less control over their voting base. So what the gently caress do they even do? Stick with him until he dies? Distance themselves until he gets angry and splits the party? There's not really a good option here.

I think its why they're really embracing being a minority party and trying so hard to entrench minority rule. That's a time-honored american tradition, after all. If you don't actually have the majority of the country, just change the rules so that the people you've got make all the decisions. I also think that's why you're seeing a much more militant and motivated democratic electorate, I think they know. "Hillary won the popular vote" is still a rallying cry for people, and there is a sense that the country actually doesn't want this but is being dragged along because of archaic systems.

its also much different time than 2010 was. alot of the conservative dems got pushed out of power and people have had 10 years of openly awful bad faith GOP bullshit(more than that but online poo poo has helped alot) alot of the dem base wants mitch and co put in their place and such.

Pick posted:

I wonder how long hatred of Trump, whether he wins or not, is going to have an effect. Will it matter in 2024 if a Republican senator up for re-election has photos of him and Donald Trump hanging out?

trumps not gonna go away fully. there will be big drama poo poo shows about him untill he dies and while i suspect some in the GOP will try to memory hole him. it won't work.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Paul Volcker slashed the interest rates in 1983, ending the recession that he caused.

He raised rates in 1983. He cut rates in 1982.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

If they were going to lie, they'd make up better numbers than that

I’m going to go with some from column A and some from column B.

It’s probably a questionable aggregate of things you wouldn’t normally call a specific candidates fundraising. I don’t think the real deal numbers are required to be reported for months yet. Plenty of time to issue a retraction or amended totals.

If they had $250M on hand and expected another $200M+ in October they wouldn’t be cutting ad buys to the bone.

Well, they could if Trump was like, “Don’t you loving spend my money on that poo poo! That’s MY money.” Like he did with his transition funds.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Theres an interesting question. Presidential campaigns never end in the black, they usually have to ask donors to help retire the campaign debt, but what if Trump's campaign has a pile of money left over? Can Trump take it?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

This is also an incredibly bad lie

Like seriously, why believe anything that comes out of that campaign?

They're mashing the RNC's total numbers in there as well which is supposed to be sending money to all sorts of tight races. So it might be an extra million that Trump's pissing down the drain in DC but it's not going to Tillis or Ernst any more.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

. alot of the conservative dems got pushed out of power

Good riddance, Lipinski!

At least there was one spot on my ballot I was actually happy to fill out this year.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Murgos posted:

If Trump plunges through his 43% favorable floor with republicans he’s in danger, the party is in danger, of more than just losing his election.

Trump could spend from here to the election communicating entirely in all-caps tweeted racial slurs - causing him to drop to 37% in the polls - and ACB would still be confirmed. He is now entirely irrevelant to the confirmation process, which itself is the culmination of the GOP's decades-long attempt to cement minority rule. If there are 50 living R senators on October 26th, ACB is getting confirmed.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

twice burned ice posted:

There are other slightly less horrible but still really horrible candidates that they can fall back to in an attempt to distance themselves a bit.

It’s not giving up the seat, just that particular person.

edit: I think a lot of people would accept another Gorsuch or even Kavanaugh to remove the specter of Barrett from ruling out of the 11th century.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 16, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

exquisite tea posted:

I think the most likely reason is that support for Trump is dropping off bigly in states that were already favorable to Biden. That would somewhat explain this shift to Biden leading by 10 nationally even while the state-level polls remain mostly the same as they were through September, gaining only maybe a point here and there.

It's also possible that the state-level polling methodology has overcorrected to be too Trump friendly and he really is going to get hosed.

I think it's also because that, believe it or not, there's a significant amount of people that legit hardly pay any attention whatsoever to politics until every 4th October. For people as terminally online and engaged as SA Goons in D&D, it's hard to comprehend that these types exist but they do and have very recently gotten a really unfiltered load of Donald's entire act and have been like "yeah, gently caress that guy". These folks by and large just want a normal, boring person and Biden fills that role in spades.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

There are other slightly less horrible but still really horrible candidates that they can fall back to in an attempt to distance themselves a bit.

It’s not giving up the seat, just that particular person.

They need Trump to nominate that person. Mitch can't just confirm whomever they want. Any other nominee would have the same Trump stink, plus the added stink of likely coming during Trump's lame duck session at this point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

Theres an interesting question. Presidential campaigns never end in the black, they usually have to ask donors to help retire the campaign debt, but what if Trump's campaign has a pile of money left over? Can Trump take it?

Legally, not really. It can get donated to charity or to other political campaigns. It can be socked away to be spent on a future campaign, which is the closest thing to just being able to pocket it.

This has 0% chance of actually stopping him from taking the money for himself though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

There have definitely been predictions that as many as 80 million people could vote by mail or vote early ahead of Nov 4th. This seems pretty in line with that.

It also makes sense that we should expect 1 or 2 more inflection points as incoming ballots accelerate over the next 2 and a half weeks which could push it north of 80 million.

edit:

Have some MS Paint:

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 16, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

They need Trump to nominate that person. Mitch can't just confirm whomever they want. Any other nominee would have the same Trump stink, plus the added stink of likely coming during Trump's lame duck session at this point.

After the election though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1317152022169268224

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nice. i switched back and forth and the trump one was just pathetic and dumb. bidens while i didnt agree with everything/thought he messed up the wording a good answer or two, was actually very watchable and calming.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

brugroffil posted:

Good riddance, Lipinski!

At least there was one spot on my ballot I was actually happy to fill out this year.
Speaking of having conservatives listed on the Dem side of the ballot...
In my area, my (mail-in) ballot had a bunch of local judges running on all party lines, unopposed. Like the same name was listed on both Democratic and Republican lines. When I looked into them, half of them were affiliated Dem or Rep, but it was pretty drat hard to find out that info. Apparently the two parties agreed on a set of judges and endorsed them all, which I felt is bullshit. I ended up taking like 2 hrs to do extensive internet research just so that I wasn't secretly voting for a conservative judge (even though they're guaranteed the win due to running unopposed). Ended up with like half of my bubbles blank.

Anyone else have to deal with those kind of shenanigans?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 16, 2020

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Murgos posted:

I think we could see a split that doesn’t cost Mitch his majority. Republicans voting for Biden most likely won’t vote for dem senators regardless what Lincoln project is pushing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rigel posted:

There are plenty of intelligent Republican leaders who understand that the party is headed for an electoral ditch as a southern regional party. They have wanted to focus less on cultural issues and more on their evil FYGM policies for a decade, but they keep getting blocked by their raving mad bloc of racists and ultrareligious nuts. Their long-term future has to be to become Libertarians.

Trump winning set them back badly, if the much feared horrifying villain Hillary had won, that may have shocked the GOP base into really looking seriously at what they need to change in order to win, but racism defeated a horribly unpopular candidate who depressed Dem turnout, barely, and that shocking victory is probably going to cause the racists and religious nutjobs to insist on rerunning the same play into a brick wall until the leaders finally get their party back under control.

Trump's horrifically bad presidency has handed the Dems an opportunity to make a hell of a lot of progress, beginning with HR1 which would make it much more difficult to win with a gerrymandered minority.

This is well put and I think you're right.

Decades of these leaders feeding their rubes mountains of horse poo poo as "information" through radio, FOX, books, pundits, churches and such didn't bother the ones benefiting from it who never believed in it to start with so long as they got votes. But now the true believers have taken over as the base, are holding office in several places and are too big to ignore. The old money/corporate greed arm of the GOP never cared about church or abortion and poo poo, thought that democrats ate babies and probably laugh out loud at crap like Qanon but the monster has broken free of its chains and now they can't win without placating or feeding it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Alaska is such a weird state, but I think this likely shuts the door on a surprise Senate win there. Down 8 with the 3rd party getting another 8 is going to be hard to get, you'd need almost all of them to come to your side.

Appreciate that NYTimes polled it though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alaska is uniquely unfavorable to Democrats because it has the highest percentage of dudes per capita of any state in the union. Wyoming is second.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

axeil posted:

Alaska is such a weird state, but I think this likely shuts the door on a surprise Senate win there. Down 8 with the 3rd party getting another 8 is going to be hard to get, you'd need almost all of them to come to your side.

Appreciate that NYTimes polled it though.

check out these polls from 2008 (2012 and 2016 had like one poll apiece so I didn't use them)

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/ak/alaska_mccain_vs_obama-640.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/senate/ak/alaska_senate-562.html

you have swings of sometimes ten points from any given poll to the final result. in this case, the polling understated the republican's margin, and that may be the case this time too. but my point here is that the final result could very well be 8+ points off from the polls

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

exquisite tea posted:

Alaska is uniquely unfavorable to Democrats because it has the highest percentage of dudes per capita of any state in the union. Wyoming is second.

True but Gross is technically running as an independent

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1317121796001419265?s=20

quote:

In reporting out this story, Axios learned that Stepien has described to some colleagues that he sees at least three pathways to 270 electoral votes.

• Stepien tells them the "easy part” is winning Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Iowa and Maine’s second congressional district. From there, the first pathway, and the one he views as most likely, is for Trump to win Arizona, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania.

• His second pathway would be for Trump to win Arizona, North Carolina and Michigan.

• And pathway three — the one Stepien views as least likely of the options — does not include Arizona but involves Trump winning North Carolina, Michigan and Nevada.

• Those states are where Trump will be spending the vast bulk of his time between now and Nov. 3, and where the Trump campaign is spending most of its money.

• The states in none of Stepien's three scenarios: Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah the first one is the one that keeps me up and the most likely by far.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So this is happening

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1317165578050744322

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I know it's Trafalgar, but still
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1317133006495244291

Edit: I went looking through all MI polls to find another one with a Trump lead. It was September 24th, also by Trafalgar.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/michigan/

canyonero fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 16, 2020

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

There is no "but still," Trafalgar sucks

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

canyonero posted:

I know it's Trafalgar, but still
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1317133006495244291

Edit: I went looking through all MI polls to find another one with a Trump lead. It was September 24th, also by Trafalgar.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/michigan/

So Biden is like plus 9-10 in MI right?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Yeah the first one is the one that keeps me up and the most likely by far.

That first one is the most likely, but even that "easy part" of that scenario seems pretty hard since it's 3 tossups and a long odds state.

I don't think there is any path to campaign his way to 270, he pretty much needs all the polls to be wrong by a larger factor than 2016 to win.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

So Biden is like plus 9-10 in MI right?

Michigan does not look competitive. To the extent that Trump has a reasonable path (I don't, but if I have to point at the least-unreasonable), it would be Arizona being just a big fat mirage along with the Pennsylvania secrecy ballot issue in mail in ballots being a far bigger problem than we expect to disqualify a hell of a lot of votes to get Trump to win there. After that, if Trump gets Florida then he's pretty close.

wilderthanmild posted:

That first one is the most likely, but even that "easy part" of that scenario seems pretty hard since it's 3 tossups and a long odds state.

I don't think there is any path to campaign his way to 270, he pretty much needs all the polls to be wrong by a larger factor than 2016 to win.

I'd be cautious with this, one thing 2016 showed us is that if there's a big polling miss, it wont be confined to one state. We don't believe there is, and the warning flags we ignored (swing state polls outperforming nationals) aren't there this time, but once we start just willy-nilly handing Trump battleground states in these hypotheticals, then that "easy part" really does get easy.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

this is one way to gently caress with voting

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1317173478634721284