Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dangersim posted:

Its very simple how it works, judges are just terrible and corrupt.

well yes, boxing scoring is easy but boxing scoring criteria is arcane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

lopez landed 50 in the last round, that's wild, loma really was pressing the issue

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I mean...that’s good defense at the same time. Those totals for Lopez would be limp in most fights, and it’s easy to see why lomachenko didn’t feel worried because he wasn’t really getting hit but...uh, he forgot the other thing

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thats not even from tonight wtf

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah but he kind of never has? I wouldn’t t exactly say he’s scared of power but he’s not confident he can win if he’s getting hit a lot. This fight he took that to an extreme that’s hard to understand from outside though. He looked completely confident for six rounds while losing at least 5 of them

He underestimated Lopez's range and speed and took too long to realize it.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I had it 7-5 Lopez, but I think that's the closest that you really could have scored the fight. Lomachenko is a natural featherweight and had a 14 month layoff, but it was still jarring to see him clearly get outboxed. Lopez even bit down and clearly won the twelfth, so I don't think that you could even argue that Lomachenko deserved a draw. Lopez won the fight.

Lomachenko should move back down to 130. There are good fights there for him: Oscar Valdez, Miguel Berchelt, Joseph Diaz. He's a small lightweight and he will continue to have tougher than expected fights at 135 as he gets into his mid 30s and slows down a bit. At 130 I think he could still recapture his old magic.

I hope Lopez doesn't immediately jump to 140. Lightweight still has Devin Haney and Gervonta Davis; two relatively big fights that would continue to build Lopez's mainstream profile.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

JOHN CENA posted:

thats not even from tonight wtf

Edit: It's from fight this afternoon that had an actually egregious result so Teddy's point stands even if he got a fairly minor detail wrong. Not you, but it's kind of pissing me off to see everyone in his Twitter replies loving rules lawyering him and missing the whole point

https://www.badlefthook.com/2020/10/17/21521022/ritson-vs-vazquez-results-robbery-scores-matchroom-boxing-news-2020

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 18, 2020

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Ninth Layer posted:

He underestimated Lopez's range and speed and took too long to realize it.

Absolutely. It’s just interesting to think how he didn’t realize it so to speak. Because he wasn’t getting hit he didn’t process quite how he had no route to landing. He was sure Lopez would slow down and he could start generating misses and punishing them until it was way too late. The rounds just went too fast for him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I had it 7-5 Lopez, but I think that's the closest that you really could have scored the fight. Lomachenko is a natural featherweight and had a 14 month layoff, but it was still jarring to see him clearly get outboxed. Lopez even bit down and clearly won the twelfth, so I don't think that you could even argue that Lomachenko deserved a draw. Lopez won the fight.

Lomachenko should move back down to 130. There are good fights there for him: Oscar Valdez, Miguel Berchelt, Joseph Diaz. He's a small lightweight and he will continue to have tougher than expected fights at 135 as he gets into his mid 30s and slows down a bit. At 130 I think he could still recapture his old magic.

I hope Lopez doesn't immediately jump to 140. Lightweight still has Devin Haney and Gervonta Davis; two relatively big fights that would continue to build Lopez's mainstream profile.

haney wanted loma real bad and there was no rematch clause for this bout so i imagine haney tries to schedule a fight with lopez and then loma

for what it's worth lopez seems to want to fight ryan garcia and gervonta davis so he's probably gonna stick around at lightweight for at least another year or two

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

His corner did a disservice by telling him to be patient at the end of (I think) round 4.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lopez just didn't let Lomachenko find range for the first half of that fight. He presented too big of a puzzle for lomachenko to get in and was able to exploit the low activity as the bigger and stronger guy. Loma came on harder in the second half but Lopez was still able to dig down and unload on him in the 12th

sort of the same analysis everybody is giving but its what happened

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/SIChrisMannix/status/1317700159309025281?s=19

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That poo poo absolutely rocked for every second of it. Teofimo is the man

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The Ninth Layer posted:

His corner did a disservice by telling him to be patient at the end of (I think) round 4.

The fight kind of reminded me of Hopkins/Taylor I, which had an almost identical narrative of the older champion giving away all of the early rounds before turning it on and winning the second half of the fight. The difference here is that Lopez turned things back around in the 12th and left little doubt as to who won the fight.

I don't think Lomachenko stepping on the gas earlier would have necessarily benefited him. His face at the end was very marked up as it is. He got beat up pretty good. If he had forced the fight earlier, he would have gotten hit even more. Ultimately Lomachenko was just too small. Lopez was able to keep him at his preferred range most of the night, and had too much power and speed for Lomachenko to consistently land his shots without taking punishment. There were more than a few times that Lopez would land not quite flush and it still hurt Lomachenko and/or moved him back. Lopez was just too big and too good.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The fight kind of reminded me of Hopkins/Taylor I, which had an almost identical narrative of the older champion giving away all of the early rounds before turning it on and winning the second half of the fight. The difference here is that Lopez turned things back around in the 12th and left little doubt as to who won the fight.

I don't think Lomachenko stepping on the gas earlier would have necessarily benefited him. His face at the end was very marked up as it is. He got beat up pretty good. If he had forced the fight earlier, he would have gotten hit even more. Ultimately Lomachenko was just too small. Lopez was able to keep him at his preferred range most of the night, and had too much power and speed for Lomachenko to consistently land his shots without taking punishment. There were more than a few times that Lopez would land not quite flush and it still hurt Lomachenko and/or moved him back. Lopez was just too big and too good.

Creating an uncertain fight (and potential knockout loss!) is something that many defense-first fighters will not do early on, and Lomachenko certainly fits that bill. However, even as early as round 2, it is clear that Lomachenko is a gifted offensive fighter as well and could have given Lopez enough to think about so there would be more opportunities earlier while taking the same amount of early body shots. I mean, there's a difference between landing single digit shots in a round, and THROWING single digit shots, holy poo poo was that bad by Loma. Who would have thought that using a hard jab, staying in the proper range, and having a power advantage would make a p4p fighter look ordinary? Lomachenko was looking for perfect untouchable windows, and there were none. He's going to have to accept that, especially as he gets older. Boxing is not very kind to those who try to move back down in weight as they age (I have no source on this as a consistent thing, just each fighter that I've seen try it doesn't look so hot).

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Older fighters do typically fare poorly moving back down in weight, but considering that Lomachenko is only 32 years old and he's more of a natural featherweight as it is, I don't see him struggling if he moves down from 135 to 130.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

This is pretty much how I read it. Lomachenko needed to open up more and have a riskier fight to win rounds, but its not entirely clear to me that he wins that fight either. Especially with the way Teo came forward in round 12. Technically Teo didn't need that last round to win on the cards, but without the narrative is a lot muddier, you'd have lots of guys with draw cards talking about how Lomachenko won the last 5 rounds clearly and how he'd dominate a rematch etc. Whereas now there's no doubt that Teo won.

balancedbias posted:

Creating an uncertain fight (and potential knockout loss!) is something that many defense-first fighters will not do early on, and Lomachenko certainly fits that bill. However, even as early as round 2, it is clear that Lomachenko is a gifted offensive fighter

I mean, Lomachenko's defence is good, but I really don't typically think of him as defence-first, his offensive genius is sort of his whole thing even if he's a pretty well rounded fighter.

Regarding moving down in weight, Loma is pretty clearly fighting above his natural weight and can probably move down fairly easily, in the vein of Nonito Donaire

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just watching the fight again, crazy that Lopez came in with the plan to say at range and outbox Lopez and actually executed it perfectly.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thinking about the P4P list following this fight. Here's the Ring list:

• Alvarez
  • Lomachenko
  • Inoue
  • Crawford
  • Usyk
  • Spence
  • Golovkin
  • Estrada
  • Beterbiev
  • Pacquiao

Which is probably fairly close to most people's P4P list after rearranging the top 6 and maybe replacing a fighter or two in the 7-10 range with some guy like Fury, Berchelt, LSC, Josh Taylor, etc. I'll kind of treat it like a definitive list for now,

So where do we go from here? Canelo is clearly at the top now, before you could have credibly placed Loma at the top but obviously he's dropping off after this loss. How far though? I don't know if its quite right to drop him off entirely, even though I'm sure lots of people will do that. I'm also not sure where to put Lopez. I'm a big believer in accomplishments in multiple weight classes for P4P legacy so sometimes I'm a bit harsh on guys who do everything in one division. Another thing making ranking Lopez difficult is that this is an amazing win for him, but he is the bigger man beating a guy moving up in weight, so it's not like he's leapfrogging up to the number one spot.

My opinion is that it's going to be hard to come up with a good ranking until the end of the year. Virtually everybody has had a long layoff because of the pandemic and a lot of the guys on that list or just off of it have fights coming up.

I'll list them for fun:

• Inoue vs Moloney (October 31)
  • Crawford vs Brook (November 14)
  • Usyk vs Chisora (October 31)
  • Spence vs Garcia (December 5)
  • Golovkin vs Szeremeta (November 21...? The date keeps getting batted around)
  • Estrada vs Cuadras (October 23) [Cuadras has recently pulled out because of Covid-19] This has since been rescinded somehow
  • Beterbiev vs Deines (postponed)
  • Pacquiao vs McGregor (2021)

In addition, Berchelt vs Valdez (December 12) and Davis vs Santa Cruz (October 31) could have P4P implications too.

These fights range all over the map from extremely competitive to complete can crushes but nearly all of them have some significance, as a ring rust indicator if nothing else. After all of these, we'll probably have a better idea of where everybody on this list is looking. In particular, we're looking to see if Spence is still in his best form after his accident, if Usyk can hang at heavyweight and how much Golovkin really has left in the tank. Inoue and Crawford are both in fights against what are on paper somewhat serious opponents, but I can't really think of any reason they'd lose. An upset in either of those would change the list up. Estrada's fight against Cuadras was is an interesting fight for both of them, as a rematch of a fight that was pretty close a few years ago before their fortunes diverged, coupled with a Gonzalez fight on the undercard and the implication of a rematch available there. Covid interfering in that matchup sets things back a bit while Estrada will be treading water. Nice to keep him on the mind if nothing else. Estrada should beat Cuadras here, but this division is sometimes unpredictable. Could be a fun fight. Beterbiev was in similar situation in his fight against Deines, although he chose that opponent. He didn't choose to get injured though, and that's made us wait even longer before Beterbiev can come back to fight this guy, who's really just a stay busy fight for fighting Fenlong as a mandatory, who is also kind of a nobody for him to fight before getting an actually good fight. It doesn't look like we're going to see anything interesting for Beterbiev soon. Pacquiao's fight is obviously insignificant to the boxing world and won't even happen until 2021, but I'm leaving it up an as an indicator of what his intentions are. With more than a year past his last fight and no announced intentions of defending his belt against a serious challenger, its pretty easy to see him falling out of P4P favour. I noted Berchelt and LSC here because I think either of those guys winning, coupled with somebody else falling would give them a spot on everybody's list. In the same vein, the Taylor-Ramirez unification in 2021 will likely get the winner up here, but that's not for a bit.

The point being, there's a lot of questions that need to get answered before we can get a good grip on what the status of boxing is in a post pandemic world. I'm kind of expecting Pac and Beterbiev to fall off while Lopez and somebody else go on, perhaps Berchelt or LSC. Lopez is probably going to go smack in the middle there right around Spence, while Lomachneko gets dropped to a dubious 7th or something now. Inoue makes a good showing to clinch the #2 shot while Usyk and Crawford hope to look impressive in a bid for 3rd or fall off to a lower rank.

Based on all that, I'm throwing together a provisionary list until these guys win some fights and move around. Lopez and Loma can go smack in the middle there and if the guys below them win their fights in an impressive way they'll hop up the list. Conversely, if the guys above them look bad, it might be worth dropping them below the new kid on the block.

Anyway, here's my list at the moment:
  • Canelo
  • Inoue
  • Crawford
  • Usyk
  • Spence
  • Lopez
  • Lomachenko
  • Golovkin
  • Estrada
  • Beterbiev

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 21, 2020

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Idk why Tyson Fury wouldn’t be on a P4P list. He’s an excellent boxer.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

IDK, that's fair, traditionally we don't see a lot of heavyweights on the list. I was mostly keying off of the Ring list, who don't have Fury listed. I think he could easily be on there, I sort of forgot about him beyond the cursory mention early on. He's likely to fight Agit Kabayel in what should be a showcase fight. There's lots of talk about Fury-Joshua in 2021, and I think the winner of that one gets on most people's list if they aren't already there.

I could easily see myself doing something like swapping Golovkin for Fury soon. I think the whole list is in flux until the end of the year regardless.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

straight up brolic posted:

Heavyweights on P4P lists are always weird just because, at least to me, the idea of making a list which is based on 'who beats who if they could all magically be the same size' means you're by definition going to be weighing it in favor of lighter weight classes (really anything middleweight and below). Also so much of what heavyweight boxing is based on physical attributes that the idea of pound for pound attempts to imagine away, so to speak. For a heavyweight to be recognized pound for pound stalwart they usually have incredibly dominant over the division like Wlad from 2010-2015 and Tyson Fury is close but not quite there yet.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I don't really agree with heavyweights being on pound for pound lists, as the idea of "pound for pound" was popularized during Sugar Ray Robinson's career as a way of describing him as the best non-heavyweight boxer. Plus, if anything, heavyweights are the least skilled and rely on their size the most out of any other division. One of the main reasons that Tyson Fury is good is because he's the biggest good fighter in the division.

As for pound for pound lists, I considered Lomachenko pound for pound #1 before he lost to Lopez, as Canelo has been on the positive end of too many decisions that could have gone either way, but with Lomachenko losing, and considering that Canelo moved up to light-heavyweight and knocked out an elite champ there, I would move him to my top spot now. I have Usyk on the list despite him being a heavyweight now due to his cruiserweight career as well as the fact that he is a small heavyweight by today's standards:

1. Canelo Alvarez
2. Terence Crawford
3. Naoya Inoue
4. Oleksandr Usyk
5. Teofimo Lopez
6. Vasyl Lomachenko
7. Errol Spence Jr.
8. Gennady Golovkin
9. Artur Beterbiev
10. Josh Taylor

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 20, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i would have inuoue at my #1 p4p just because i think inuoue looks more dominant than alvarez at his natural weight class and i prefer giving lighter fighters their props for p4p but it’s 1 and 1a for me

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jump King posted:

Anyway, here's my list at the moment:
  • Canelo
  • Inoue
  • Crawford
  • Usyk
  • Spence
  • Lopez
  • Lomachenko
  • Golovkin
  • Estrada
  • Beterbiev

Ring Magazine has updated their P4P list and it's exactly this

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

reasonable; i think ggg will end up rising on the list if he doesn't look rusty (but he's also 38 so this might be the beginning of the end; i don't think he beats canelo if they end up fighting again)

unrelated but here's a great clip of danny williams vs mark potter that i saw on reddit earlier today, if you haven't seen it i won't spoil it for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY1jzjTjIhY

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

war estrada

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

war estrada

I forgot this was happening and tuned in just in time to hear Todd Grisham signing off :(

At least I heard Gallo-Cuadras was good so i have the replay to look forward to

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

turns out lomachenko hosed up his shoulder in the lopez fight, aggravating a preexisting injury in the second round

bummer that they didn’t include a rematch clause

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I mean no one here is actually buying Tank - LSC right?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

I mean no one here is actually buying Tank - LSC right?

i usually went to bars in the before times for the big ppv matches :smith:

it’ll either be really short (first five rounds) or it’ll go the distance and be crazy ugly, so it’s hard to imagine it’ll be worth it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The fight card tonight is really fun. In some ways I think it might be the best card of the weekend

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Conlan-Dogboe is off due to injury

https://twitter.com/mickconlan11/status/1322147345832824834?s=21

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Huge loss for Americans who say they’re Irish

Jump King fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 30, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Urbina got robbed