Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Combat Theory posted:

"we" have 3 manufacturers left that offer significant chunks of their fleet in manual, that's VW, Opel and Ford.

Uh what?

Peugeot/Citroën/DS, Renault, Fiat and Alfa Romeo offer most of their cars with manuals as standard, just off the top of my head.

And of course the Asian manufacturers offer just about everything with a manual.

Sure, if you can't fathom driving anything less than an M5 or something, yeah you're gonna get an autobox and nothing else. But to base you argument that "hardly anyone offers manuals anymore" on that is ridiculous. Your statement of "anything remotely interesting" speaks to a very snobbish view of cars.

Anyone who cannot have tons of fun in a 3-cylinder Peugeot 208 is no enthusiast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xzzy posted:

Every generation is amazed at how little the generation before them paid for gas!

I remember 79c/gal gas. :corsair:

Admittedly that was before I got my license... I think it was up to 89c by the time I started driving.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

What's the most anyone has paid for fuel?
Airplanes and ships are cheating.

I think I paid $6 and change per gallon for diesel during the price spike in 2009(?). My boss called the company to see if they could offset the cost some and I heard laughing from his phone over the sound of 5.2L of rattling mediocrity.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

madeintaipei posted:

I think I paid $6 and change per gallon for diesel during the price spike in 2009(?). My boss called the company to see if they could offset the cost some and I heard laughing from his phone over the sound of 5.2L of rattling mediocrity.

6$ per gallon is about what diesel costs here in Sweden right now, which is the lowest it's cost for I don't know how long. Pre-corona prices where about 20% higher.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

AirRaid posted:

Am I the only one who finds it weird that driving a manual is a special skill only a few have in America? Here it's weird if you can't drive a manual.

It's a chicken-and-egg problem. I've basically never had an opportunity to even try driving stick; I can't even think of more than five different cars I've been in that had anything but an automatic.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Combat Theory posted:

Trump can drive a manual. Didn't see that coming.

He's in his seventies, it would be weirder if he couldn't. Although these days I'm sure he's forgotten how to drive at all

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

madeintaipei posted:

I am prepared for this question!

Current car, $3.799/gal on 7/12/2019.
Previous car, $4.459/gal on 5/6/2011.

Premium in both.

There was a period in 2008 when I was paying over $4/gal and then under $2/gal five months later.

It's a little hard to generalize from my numbers as I usually fill up in small town USA, but also sometimes at more expensive rest stops along the interstate and rarely in Big City USA and prices can jump almost $1/gal from one to the other.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Uthor posted:

I am prepared for this question!

Current car, $3.799/gal on 7/12/2019.
Previous car, $4.459/gal on 5/6/2011.

Premium in both.

There was a period in 2008 when I was paying over $4/gal and then under $2/gal five months later.

It's a little hard to generalize from my numbers as I usually fill up in small town USA, but also sometimes at more expensive rest stops along the interstate and rarely in Big City USA and prices can jump almost $1/gal from one to the other.

Are you my father? He keeps a little notebook in his glovebox to record every fill-up and calculate his mileage.

I bet he could also find his bank statements from the 1970s in his filing cabinet. He's a maniac.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

madeintaipei posted:

I paid $5.39 for regular up near Big Sur in California two years ago, fortunately I was on my Bike so I only got a couple gallons.

I'm given to understand that there's a lawsuit about remote gas stations in CA price fixing that leads to stuff like that though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ror posted:

Are you my father? He keeps a little notebook in his glovebox to record every fill-up and calculate his mileage.

I bet he could also find his bank statements from the 1970s in his filing cabinet. He's a maniac.

Heh. I made a spreadsheet for keeping track of expenses and maintenance in general, just started adding gas fillups cause why not.

I do have other spreadsheets containing banking info going back at least a decade. I don't have a good reason to do this.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

Uh what?

Peugeot/Citroën/DS, Renault, Fiat and Alfa Romeo offer most of their cars with manuals as standard, just off the top of my head.

And of course the Asian manufacturers offer just about everything with a manual.

Sure, if you can't fathom driving anything less than an M5 or something, yeah you're gonna get an autobox and nothing else. But to base you argument that "hardly anyone offers manuals anymore" on that is ridiculous. Your statement of "anything remotely interesting" speaks to a very snobbish view of cars.

Anyone who cannot have tons of fun in a 3-cylinder Peugeot 208 is no enthusiast.

Yes that's true. I tend to generalize the EU domestic market with german manufacturers which have been a hell hole for about 15 years now. There are some very nice smaller cars made in france still although it can be very much hit an miss. I don't know for certain but to my knowing french cars don't have a significant market share in the US or Asia so I don't think they make significantly different export versions.

Totally agree on imports from asia, they are the option to take in Europe right now in my opinion, specifically hyundai and the Korean brands.

I'll stand by the statement though that the average european SUV is a boring piece of poo poo regardless of manufacturer and horsepower and we would be better off without them in every regard.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

warning: pedantic asshattery inbound

Have had a loose grille on my '16 MB C350e since I got it in December, I brought it in for its first service in August and oddly they replaced the whole grille under warranty. It took six weeks for the grille to come in - and when it was installed the warranty part had a shittier badge. Not a big deal - but I provide this as background for me being in a slightly lovely perfectionist mood and wanting to fix any minor cosmetic flaw I could. Somehow I hadn't noticed until now that the front license plate was on slightly crooked - so I decided to get the screwdriver and make the necessary adjustment.

I loosened the screws slightly and expected to be able to make a small adjustment (like straightening a hanging painting) but it wouldn't budge - so I took the plate assembly off altogether.

MOTHERFUCKER.

If I ever find the absolute shitbrained fuckstick that did this to what at the time was presumably a brand new car (it's a form-fit piece so it's obviously made for the car) I will rip off their loving head and poo poo down their neck.

What the gently caress can I do about this? Holes drilled through the whole goddamned bumper, I'd have to loving fill them with something and paint over them again, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

voting third party posted:

He's in his seventies, it would be weirder if he couldn't. Although these days I'm sure he's forgotten how to drive at all

He's extremely young

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If there was ever something in AI that deserves a trigger warning, here it is.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That sucks :(
With that said, if you lower the perfectionist level a little bit there is https://bumperplugs.com/bumperplugs/bumperplugs-for-mercedes

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy hell, had to read the text with that photo to understand. I'd be fit to be tied.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's hidden by the plate holder and isn't that how the plate holder is supposed to attach anyway?

You've got the right to be upset, for sure. Nobody will ever know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real problem here is manufactures not integrating license plate attachment points into their cars from the start.

I know front plates aren't required everywhere but those of us not living in such enlightened lands shouldn't have to take a power drill to a new car to get it legal. You all can live with a couple additional plugs like the recovery port. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xzzy posted:

The real problem here is manufactures not integrating license plate attachment points into their cars from the start.

I know front plates aren't required everywhere but those of us not living in such enlightened lands shouldn't have to take a power drill to a new car to get it legal. You all can live with a couple additional plugs like the recovery port. :colbert:

Same advice as for the op: I don't see the big deal if those are the holes you need for your plate frame. Drill baby drill. But larger, and use proper rivnuts rather than being some sort of animal throwing self tappers through there.

That's all they'd do from the factory (and in many cases that's exactly what you'll see on the back).

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

sarcastx posted:

warning: pedantic asshattery inbound

Have had a loose grille on my '16 MB C350e since I got it in December, I brought it in for its first service in August and oddly they replaced the whole grille under warranty. It took six weeks for the grille to come in - and when it was installed the warranty part had a shittier badge. Not a big deal - but I provide this as background for me being in a slightly lovely perfectionist mood and wanting to fix any minor cosmetic flaw I could. Somehow I hadn't noticed until now that the front license plate was on slightly crooked - so I decided to get the screwdriver and make the necessary adjustment.

I loosened the screws slightly and expected to be able to make a small adjustment (like straightening a hanging painting) but it wouldn't budge - so I took the plate assembly off altogether.

MOTHERFUCKER.

If I ever find the absolute shitbrained fuckstick that did this to what at the time was presumably a brand new car (it's a form-fit piece so it's obviously made for the car) I will rip off their loving head and poo poo down their neck.

What the gently caress can I do about this? Holes drilled through the whole goddamned bumper, I'd have to loving fill them with something and paint over them again, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Least intrusive option would be a paintable plug

If you match them to your exact color code they are not that noticeable especially if you can use the small versions.

Everything else ultimately involves a respray.

I think you can get away with bumper bondo or whatever it's called in English for filling the holes. I only ever fixed larger cracks and that's done with a GFRP backing and/or hot staples but I don't think that's necessary for small holes.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 18, 2020

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I remember back when the Peugeot 206 was new, one of the local car magazines discovered that the rear license plate holder was held in place with self tapping screws, straight through the rear hatch.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

StormDrain posted:

It's hidden by the plate holder and isn't that how the plate holder is supposed to attach anyway?

Apologies if it wasn't clear enough in my description - the problem is that the loving thing is a few degrees tilted (i.e. license plate is not on straight).This factory license plate frame offers zero adjustment once affixed (the screws have no recess/leeway for adjustment as the screw holes are recessed to the diameter of the head of the screw).

Presumably the loving dunce just slapped the plate bracket on the front of the car, didn't check if it was on properly, and drilled away. And then used screws for the plate into the bracket that were so long they went all the way through the bracket and punched two additional holes into the bumper. Any adjustment will require new holes - and there's already 4 holes present due to the aforementioned dumbfuckery, which are higher on the left side than the right.

But yes, It is hidden by the plate holder and it is how the plate holder is meant to attach.

xzzy posted:

:agreed:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sarcastx posted:

Apologies if it wasn't clear enough in my description - the problem is that the loving thing is a few degrees tilted (i.e. license plate is not on straight).This factory license plate frame offers zero adjustment once affixed (the screws have no recess/leeway for adjustment as the screw holes are recessed to the diameter of the head of the screw).

Presumably the loving dunce just slapped the plate bracket on the front of the car, didn't check if it was on properly, and drilled away. And then used screws for the plate into the bracket that were so long they went all the way through the bracket and punched two additional holes into the bumper. Any adjustment will require new holes - and there's already 4 holes present due to the aforementioned dumbfuckery, which are higher on the left side than the right.

But yes, It is hidden by the plate holder and it is how the plate holder is meant to attach.

Okay, so go right ahead and put rivnuts in those holes to clean them up, even though they aren't level. Or don't it doesnt matter. Here's the part that does: grind out the holes in the plate holder so you have enough adjustment. Put it back on, tilt it around in your newly oblong holes, tighten it down when straight and move on with your life.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

move on with your life.

exactly the kind of practical advice I'd expect from Ron Swanson; but I do like to think he'd find the man who did such a poor job and give him what for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Probably, but I am unfortunately not Ron Swanson, I was just gifted with the AV.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Elviscat posted:

I paid $5.39 for regular up near Big Sur in California two years ago, fortunately I was on my Bike so I only got a couple gallons.

I'm given to understand that there's a lawsuit about remote gas stations in CA price fixing that leads to stuff like that though.

If it was the Shell on 1, I hit that a couple years ago on my bike too because I needed the gas and it was over $6

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I was going to say something about how incredibly slow it must be, until I noticed that it had been repowered (Ford 351W). I notice it lost the second set of steers somewhere along the way, along with a second nose job.

$4500 is... a bit much. Unique != valuable.
No interior shots, but I'm expecting '70s shag, rotting.

Now, say. $1000 or so, and this could be a fun stupid thing to play with.

eBay posted:

I’ve chased this van for several years, now can say I owned it but time to let it go and get back to my 50’s custom cars.

"I finally found and bought it, and it's way worse than I thought or want to deal with."

Memento posted:

You should probably not be, just saying

It's impossible to make curves with pipe, you know. Guy lives in a 8-bit world or something.

Code Jockey posted:

holy jesus I made better welds than this in high school ag shop

and probably would've designed a more efficient exhaust system too

It looks like a fair amount of that is muffler paste. Looks smeared on rather than blobby weld. So, even worse than you think, is what I'm saying.

Raluek posted:

isnt there supposed to be cheap gas during covid lockdown? ive been commuting the whole time and i havent seen anything under $3 yet

Where the gently caress do you live? California?
"Regular" is under $2/gallon all over where I live (Dallas/Fort Worth mid-cities.) $2.19 is the highest Gas Buddy is coming up with. ~$1.79 is common.

Ror posted:

I used to do that, to track fuel economy, but then smartphones became a thing. Fuelly does it for me.

sarcastx posted:

:agreed:

I was wondering what the second set of holes was about. *That* is terrible (along with the crooked.)
If you put in rivnuts, they will require larger holes in the bumper, so you have a chance to tweak it a bit if you go that route. Otherwise, elongating the holes in the plate holder is the only option, made difficult by the recesses, as you said.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Do we brits get to play the fuel prices game? :shepicide:

easily over $6 per gallon in a direct currency convert

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

AirRaid posted:

"why does nobody over there daily giant 6l trucks, guys?"

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

AirRaid posted:

When I started driving it was 88p a litre. I much prefer US prices for my fullsize truck :getin:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Darchangel posted:

It's impossible to make curves with pipe, you know. Guy lives in a 8-bit world or something.

Pipes don't bend. All pipes are straight.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Memento posted:

You should probably not be, just saying

bonus points for the 1.2mm of tread left

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Exactly!

TotalLossBrain posted:

bonus points for the 1.2mm of tread left

Hardly surprising, is it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Porsche do it exactly the same way :shepface:

It's got some real "overheard a conversation about bolt-in roll cages while 3 beers down in a crowded bar and just went for it" vibes to it.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 26, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Attach that green slide next to the garage to it and you'll have a fun jungle gym.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sir, it might be time to address the rot on this car.

https://twitter.com/SketchyWolf_13/status/1320716150213210114?s=20

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

RillAkBea posted:

Porsche do it exactly the same way :shepface:

It's got some real "overheard a conversation about bolt-in roll cages while 3 beers down in a crowded bar and just went for it" vibes to it.

Bolt in isn't a huge issue, some cars are forced to use them.

However, among multiple issues with this one - the plastic nodes :lol:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Bolt in isn't a huge issue, some cars are forced to use them.

However, among multiple issues with this one - the plastic nodes :lol:

Those clamps are steel, right?
I'd be more concerned about the alloy bars. I don't think I've ever heard of a race-legal aluminum cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure "alloy" means galvanized fence post tubing here.