Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Jabor posted:

The zebra markings indicate a pedestrian crossing, so it seems like one of those raised tables that are sometimes used for crossings to help with pedestrian visibility.

Except that this one only covers the cycle lane. Which makes it rather pointless. Maybe there's a plan for a crossing there, and they'll fill in the rest when they can close the road?

There is a yellow line on the road too. Perhaps a bus stop? Those often have the pavement raised more to allow for wheelchair access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lol, how many of these are there?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Anonymouse Mook posted:

There is a yellow line on the road too. Perhaps a bus stop? Those often have the pavement raised more to allow for wheelchair access.

That seems very plausible. It would also explain why it's newly-added with the cycle lane - if buses used to be able to pull right up to the original curb, but aren't able to pull up over the cycle lane any more.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

betrunken mit macht

that you, tovarisch Gorbachev?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ghost Rider 3 looking ... about what I'd expect.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Jb9AuoP.mp4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

extremely poorly edited yes and i also can't stand the person
podcasts.txt

KernelFailure
Apr 5, 2004
What?
sure hope that plastic handle is rated for someones full body weight

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KernelFailure posted:

plus dynamic loading

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qibay4WCYq1s1ddrj.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qid8d9Kg2v1s1ddrj.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 18, 2020

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

KernelFailure posted:

Those plastic handles are only held in by two bolts threaded into the A-pillar and are certainly not rated for that type of dynamic load. Failure is imminent with that sort of behavior.

Source: i work at a Ford deslership

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Log082 posted:

I enjoyed the content of WTYP but I had to stop listening because Alice is extremely terrible, and the rest of the WYTP cast doubled down on it when people called her out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3853977&pagenumber=1235&perpage=40#post504381980

It's not that they're terrible just that their volume is higher than anyone else and they talk over people (a lot), but sometimes has good things to say. The one that actually reads the disaster writeup has the middle volume mic, then the third person sounds like they're calling on a cup and string and can barely be heard.

It just sucks to have good content hobbled by production problems.

Good lord this whole thread complaining about WTYP, guess my plan to nicely tell the podcasters about their editing problems has already been addressed into the ground lol.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 18, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Florida man speeds about in leaf blower-powered vehicle

I think this fits in here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

*On edge of seat, waiting for copycat attempts*

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Log082 posted:

I enjoyed the content of WTYP but I had to stop listening because Alice is extremely terrible, and the rest of the WYTP cast doubled down on it when people called her out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3853977&pagenumber=1235&perpage=40#post504381980

I already thought that Alice was terminally unfunny and came off as a huge piece of poo poo, good to know that my gut feelings were spot-on.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

coupedeville posted:

OSHA IV: Failure is imminent with that sort of behavior.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VillainousWigglyBelugawhale-mobile.mp4

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Does someone accidentally bump the wave dial up to 11 or how the gently caress does this happen? I've seen it happen in other wave pools

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Oh yeah!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I love them freezing like no one will see if they don't move.

https://twitter.com/cursedearthlol/status/1317847742241177602?s=20

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

That wasn't the car pool lane.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Yeah it's for a bus stop

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

but at least the pizza was delivered in time

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

but at least the pizza was delivered in time

Even though I gave up on that book after reading the hero protagonist's name I appreciate this reference.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Even though I gave up on that book after reading the hero protagonist's name I appreciate this reference.

That's honestly a weird point to quit the book at. The names being cheesy is the whole point.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I liked the idea of the nearly-magical language stuff and the basically b-movie vibe of the setting was fun, but I noped the gently caress out of the book when it got to the skeevy underage(?) rape. Crypto had some ok ideas, but it was padded out to like 5x beyond what was needed and had something like a whole chapter unrelated to anything else devoted to the protagonist rubbing one out. Seriously, why do his books get recommended so much?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

lmao

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Antigravitas posted:

That's honestly a weird point to quit the book at. The names being cheesy is the whole point.

I mean, if you don't appreciate the humor in that then you probably won't enjoy the rest of the book.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What book?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

I enjoyed his stuff back in the 90s, haven't read any since. From what I remember about the book, it was extremely 90s.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sentient Data posted:

Seriously, why do his books get recommended so much?

Woof, I could write a whole drat essay on the thing in the PYF terrible book thread. But in a nutshell, he writes geek fantasy where a small group of plucky individuals save the world since they're so goddamn smart. His worldbuilding creates interesting places (a necessity for fantasy!), and it's easier to remember the cool poo poo than it is the statutory rape that gets glossed over. His more recent works tick all the boxes on why his older stuff was good/popular, yet somehow are terrible works and shine a uncomfortable light on his own patterns and make you question your own taste retroactively. My excuse is that I was young and in Uni and was edgy, because I'm sure as heck not gonna defend those old works anymore.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
If you read "the two cyberpunk novels everyone recommends" as a teenager you'll probably dislike Neuromancer and love Snow Crash. If you read them as an adult you'll love Neuromancer and hate Snow Crash.

Also Stephenson raised over half a million dollars on Kickstarter to make a "realistic medieval combat game" and then canceled it like a year and a half later and never refunded anyone.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Stephenson is good because he lights off a big ol firework of wacky poo poo and that's fun if you're into that kinda thing. There's plenty folks who are not into that kinda thing and that's also fine.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's a lot of good cyberpunk and lampooning of libertarian capitalism with a fair amount of humor thrown in. Yes, there are also problematic things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Snow Crash in particular is an exaggerated parody of 90s sci fi tropes, more so than his other stuff. The protagonist (literally named Protagonist) crashes the high-tech supercar he uses to deliver pizza for the local Mafia franchise into a swimming pool because he's trying to get rid of the skateboard courier who literally harpooned him with a grappling hook and is riding him down the highway. This man is also the greatest hacker in the world and the undefeated master of the VR swordfighting game he created which was adopted by all of cyberspace to settle petty disputes. Later on he encounters a robot guard dog that can break the sound barrier and a cyborg whose body is a heavily armed monster truck, who band together to fight a megalomaniac rich guy who plans to take over the planet by breaking everyone's brains with a magic formula he unearthed from ancient Sumeria. If all of this sounds completely insane, that's kinda the point

I read both this and Neuromancer as a teenager and like them both for different reasons

haveblue fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 18, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
And then there's the Aleut riding a motorcycle with a nuclear bomb in his sidecar with a dead-man's switch connected to his heartbeat. Gotta have insurance.

I love the book because Stephenson nails the tone shift as he describes people daydreaming. The entire opening chapter is Hiro bullshitting himself about what a badass guy he is and it's beautiful.

I also like Neuromancer, and despite all its :can:, Diamond Age as post-cyberpunk.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I mean, if you don't appreciate the humor in that then you probably won't enjoy the rest of the book.

That's completely fair, true.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

C.M. Kruger posted:

If you read "the two cyberpunk novels everyone recommends" as a teenager you'll probably dislike Neuromancer and love Snow Crash. If you read them as an adult you'll love Neuromancer and hate Snow Crash.

i watched johnny mnemonic and learned that it was based on a william gibson short story, so i checked out neuromancer. that was good poo poo man!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The White Dragon posted:

i watched johnny mnemonic and learned that it was based on a william gibson short story, so i checked out neuromancer. that was good poo poo man!

Highly recommend The Peripheral if you like Gibson's stuff (or this genre in general)

Apparently it's getting an Amazon adaptation, for whatever that's worth - honestly would work pretty well as a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gibson is good, but this seems like a bit of a weird derail for the OSHA thread.