Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The state of gaming in 2020 is why I keep playing State of Decay 2.

It's got its' problems, but they update it pretty much monthly and poo poo tends to get fixed, new or rotating poo poo at the bounty broker gets added, that kinda thing. I don't usually give a gently caress about anything zombie related, but SoD2 got me with its' loot and build bullshit, not blood juggs or plague hordes, which are still fun to kill.

Gonna jump into nightmare zone this week. I've been playing green zone scavenging sessions to gather supplies and people before going into nightmare zone again. Got completely wrecked last time with like, 8 survivors that got whittled down to 2 as I ran out of everything around me before packing it in and going back to a standard zone. Annoyingly brutal, and they have another, more difficult mode coming out next month.

Oh nice I just started playing this. Is there any point sticking around an area when you've cleared the Plague Hearts and maxed out your base? Like the leader keeps asking me to change/build poo poo in the base but it seems pointless and there's nowhere bigger to move...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not really, if you want to keep building up for a nightmare zone run.

Part of the story after plague hearts is building whatever the leaders need (I have a builder and I think he requires a guard tower). After that the game will start walking you towards a conflict with other survivor groups, where it's pretty much you against whoever remains that you've ignored or pissed off and that's endgame. Nightmare zone, survivor enemies are the most dangerous part of the game and won't hesitate to ruin you.

My current game is at 100 days, I've drug the same 10 people through like, maybe 8 different green and standard zones, and never do anything the game wants after plague hearts until I'm ready to tackle nightmare with my several thousand rounds of mixed ammo. Tons of ammo, tons of plague cure, tons of tool boxes.

I purged a bunch of my storage cars the other day, dumped everything into inventory. poo poo's still slowly depleting days later.

There's an achievement for 100 days in the nightmare or dread zones, and achievements for finishing at least one time in nightmare, so my plan is to have enough poo poo to last 100 days in a nightmare zone and kill both birds.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 12, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
gahddang I thought I was doing alright with like, 30ish of each resource :downs:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
35 or so is good. I usually keep banks of vehicles outside base (baseball field on Meagher Valley now, that was in the last map). That poo poo depletes in inventory, but slowest on green zone. I couldn't take all the poo poo from every car with me (take converted vans for 9 spaces, convert with kits from the mechanics shop). Find an ammo press and start making useful ammo before it depletes, make plague cure so you eat overstocked medical supplies, you'll need them in dread zone and up.

Oh, the prep area that takes up a large area, totally worth it. Maintenance poo poo is nil so you can build a bountiful piles of parts/screws pretty quickly with that.

I'm two joints into my night and walking Frank, terminology is failing me.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 12, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Finally ended up picking up Frostpunk again since deciding in March that I wasn't in a "good enough mental state" to play it, because goddamn, it is ever so rough emotionally.
The scenarios, events, and imagery really make you empathize with your survivors, but then the game all but forces you to compound their misery and hardship as a necessary evil.

Played about 18 hours of it over what was essentially a four-day weekend since Thursday, and ended up beating it without sacrificing too much of my humanity.

I think the key to my "success" was to start with two workshops right off the bat and get research rolling WAY before securing a steady resource and food income (which was, apparently, my mistake on the first run that ended on day 17).
This game constantly gives you "oh my sweet summer child" moments, because you keep telling yourself "things will get better if we get through just this one more set of rough days" despite seeing a clear trend that conditions will keep going downhill.

At some point, I think I actually laughed out loud at myself when I made it through a 3-day dip to -60°C, thinking it was smooth sailing ahead due to my finally secured food and coal income, and then another loving 30 degree drop pops up on the forecast bar.

Towards the end of the game, poo poo got reeeeally frantic again due to an unfortunate bug. As I started to hit the phase where you notice that poo poo is going to get really bad and you need to start stockpiling right the gently caress now, I figured I'd be fine with just moving my resource outpost team to a location on the map that would supply 1 steam core per day (so I could build 5 automata to crew the coal/steel/wood facilities on my non-heated outskirts, which would free up enough coal flow to keep my generator running at max without depleting my reserves).

Turns out that location was bugged, and I get ZERO cores per day and oh god, now I need to build steam hubs in those locations to keep the workers from freezing to death, oh god they need to work emergency shifts with foremen AND I need charcoal kilns to produce enough coal to keep the generator running full-time on max level, oh god the mining facilities are not insulated well enough so they still get sick despite steam hubs oh god I don't have enough infirmary capacity to deal with the amount of gravely ill from the cold OH GOD, MY KILNS DEPLETED MY WOOD SUPPLY I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO BUILD MORE MEDICAL OUTPOSTS I NEED TO BURN RATIONS FOR FOREMEN ON MY WOOD FACILITIES OH GOD NOW MY FOOD RATIONS WON'T LAST THROUGH THE STORM OH GOD WHY ARE THEY RAIDING THE WOOD STOCKS BANISH THOSE FUCKERS, OH GOD SOME OF THE BANISHED WERE ENGINEERS AND NOW MY INFIRMARY IS UNDERSTAFFED I NEED TO MOVE ONE OF MY AUTOMATA OH GOD CAN THE AUTOMATA PLEASE STOP CRIPPLING WORKERS MY FACTORY IS OUTSIDE THE HEATED ZONE AND I CAN NO LONGER BUILD PROSTHETICS, OH GOD I CAN'T RAISE HOPE WITH THE PROPAGANDA CENTER BECAUSE THE WOOD STOCKS ARE DEPLETED AGAIN WHY IS IT STILL loving GETTING COLDER, STOP ABANDONING YOUR WORK PLACES DEAR JESUS MY GENERATOR IS AT 95% PRESSURE FROM OVERDRIVE OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Holy poo poo, that may have been the most mentally exhausting finish to a game because of one dumb bug. Mind you, the game would still have been decently hard without it, but yeeeeeesh.

Overall, really well-done game, 8/10 would age 10 years in 18 hours again

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

now try it without child labor

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Because I'm a loving idiot who can't keep his word I made a whole new Subnautica save and got 20 hours in before it loving happened to me again

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

now try it without child labor

I did it without child labor, sawdust rations, AND radical measures :smug:

The "benefit" of child labor seems big in the early game, but every single one of my previous runs had been ended by the people banishing me on hope-based failures.

The child shelters don't cost a lot, provide a permanent hope bonus AND prevent kids from being crippled by automata. add that to the fact that I never had a shortage of workers after the mid-game (up until everything went to poo poo in the storm), I feel like it was a much better choice for the route I went down.

I did have to turn away the sick and gravely ill in the last Frostland refugee wave, though
:smith:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Frostpunk is great. Really interesting how well they used scripted events to tell stories in a way you never see in city building games.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think that's on gamepass. I'll have to give that a spin soon.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I did it without child labor, sawdust rations, AND radical measures :smug:

The "benefit" of child labor seems big in the early game, but every single one of my previous runs had been ended by the people banishing me on hope-based failures.

The child shelters don't cost a lot, provide a permanent hope bonus AND prevent kids from being crippled by automata. add that to the fact that I never had a shortage of workers after the mid-game (up until everything went to poo poo in the storm), I feel like it was a much better choice for the route I went down.

I did have to turn away the sick and gravely ill in the last Frostland refugee wave, though
:smith:

Noice dude. I've always played the same way.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fallom posted:

Frostpunk is great. Really interesting how well they used scripted events to tell stories in a way you never see in city building games.

The odd thing is that they've done this so drat well, it was actually a double-edged sword for me, because you develop so visceral emotional reactions to those events or bonds with the style you're playing.
I was in a fairly lovely emotional state in March OF LAST loving YEAR (holy poo poo, the past two years have gone by so fast I thought I bought Frostpunk early THIS YEAR), and found that I just couldn't continue playing because some of the forced choices I had to make that didn't have everyone doing better were simply too hard on me emotionally, to the point where it was defeating the purpose of playing a game.

And that effect got compacted for me by the fact that I was bound to do worse as a beginner in the game.

Now that a) I'm no longer in a really lovely emotional state, and b) I've adopted a more ham-fisted "I know what's good for you, just bite down and we'll get through this poo poo" attitude in the game, I've started to appreciate how incredibly good it is.
I'm looking forward to playing one of the endless scenarios with a lot of expansion space, but other challenges, like the open flats one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Its a wonderful game. Surviving Mars is also excellent.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RIP mobo.

2011-2020.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

Because I'm a loving idiot who can't keep his word I made a whole new Subnautica save and got 20 hours in before it loving happened to me again

I’m playing a hilariously modded save where I can’t go above water, can only refill tanks at a fabricator station, and had to have a base up and running before the Aurora exploded. Also, no vehicles.

:negative:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m playing a hilariously modded save where I can’t go above water, can only refill tanks at a fabricator station, and had to have a base up and running before the Aurora exploded. Also, no vehicles.

My Etsy page is running a 2-for-1 special on custom ball gags

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

YOUR UBER EATS ORDER HAS BEEN DELIVERED

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

I did manage to stop the laser stuff before the Sunbeam landed, and hilariously enough, they still don't pick you up. Instead of getting shot down, they just go BUHHH DEBRIS, GOOD LUCK KID

e- wait, so in this mod does the explosion wipe out the escape capsule or something

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

I did manage to stop the laser stuff before the Sunbeam landed, and hilariously enough, they still don't pick you up. Instead of getting shot down, they just go BUHHH DEBRIS, GOOD LUCK KID

e- wait, so in this mod does the explosion wipe out the escape capsule or something

I think so, I was playing by those rules but didn’t actually download it. The air goes radioactive (so you can’t surface), pod has to be repaired (but can only be used for items, not food or water), can’t eat things found on the islands (but you can take the seeds and grow your own).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Considering their last PS4 patch was like a week ago, I'm just putting the game away and I'll come back to it later once they fix the fucker.

I realized I never finished that South Park RPG so I figured I'd start it over and laugh at some dumb poo poo. I forgot that the game literally sets its difficulty by how dark your character's skin was.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 14, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

free copy of NiGHTS into Dreams on Steam for Sega's 60th

https://slickdeals.net/f/14438258-nights-into-dreams-pc-steam-free

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

God I used to get so baked and play that, drooling, for hours

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

GD_American posted:

God I used to get so baked and play that, drooling, for hours

with the 3d controller or the standard saturn pad

saturn pad is dope for fighting games but NiGHTS would kill my thumb after a while on it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GD_American posted:

Considering their last PS4 patch was like a week ago, I'm just putting the game away and I'll come back to it later once they fix the fucker.

I realized I never finished that South Park RPG so I figured I'd start it over and laugh at some dumb poo poo. I forgot that the game literally sets its difficulty by how dark your character's skin was.

It would've been some prime social commentary but the game is too easy on every setting

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

with the 3d controller or the standard saturn pad

saturn pad is dope for fighting games but NiGHTS would kill my thumb after a while on it

some knockoff Mad Catz style one with shittier buttons but a much better d-pad

e- no wait, it was the one with the weird thumb controller above the d-pad

GD_American fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 15, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
SoD2. Halfway through the plague hearts in my nightmare run. Tons of ammo, tons of explosives, knocked out 9 of the loving plague hearts in two in-game days. Not leaving the base at night for poo poo.

Blood juggs are no threat when you have a 12 round magazine fed 40mm grenade launcher, there's just so loving many. Only 400 more grenades in my inventory though. Lol.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I'm playing through heartland now, it's cool having a bit more story to go through. And the dino-fort ownnnns.
I feel like i might have to stop though cos this game reaaaaally nails my "just one more run" button and I start to play it way too much...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
God I love that dino-fort. I need to run through Heartland again.

There's an xbox speed run competition for killing plague hearts, runs a few days. Basically kill all the plague hearts on a fresh map as fast as possible. It's supposed to be a promo for the new consoles.

I've played more SoD2 than probably anything besides Long Dark in recent years (they have an October event running right now). Really scratches that satisfaction itch for some reason.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I go through phases where my interest in SOD2 runs super high for a few days or weeks, then falls off, then picks up again. It’s exactly how I was with the original SOD and I’m cool with that. For whatever reason, it does scratch a very satisfying itch. I do need to get around to doing a nightmare run and packing a bunch of Red Talon folks with C4, ammo and blood plague cure- my first attempt did not go well.

For the third game, I hope they find a way to make good, procedurally generated maps so that you never play the same location twice. Especially for a Breakdown mode.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Once the plague hearts are gone in nightmare, the hordes wandering around are cut down substantially. I cleared the rest out on my nightmare run yesterday, only 95 more days of dicking around in the zone to get an achievement. Lots of time to throw firecrackers at the other groups of survivors so zombies can gently caress them up for me.

I would love for them to make dynamic maps, but what I really want is to be able to build a base wherever the hell I please instead of having to run off to the same places in each map. Getting a little bored with the lumber mill and the ball diamond and I'd love to be able to just expand a base as my group grows than move and rebuild poo poo all the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just uninstalled GTA5. God it feels loving GREAT. Like a terrible burden has been lifted. I've never played anything that felt so much like god drat work

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just uninstalled GTA5. God it feels loving GREAT. Like a terrible burden has been lifted. I've never played anything that felt so much like god drat work

Don't play Eve then

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I like hearing about Eve-related shenanigans, but actually playing it sounds like Spreadsheets: The Game.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Actually playing it is Zoom Conference: The Game, now with spreadsheets

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

Red Dead Online is p fun with other gippers

brains
May 12, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

it's a garbage dump of a game. trying to do anything feels like such a slog; trying to play with other people on purpose is like an exercise in sadism.

i scrolled through and kept misreading this as SoF2 and i was like drat, bringing back the old school gibfest huh

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The only good thing about gta5 anymore is pissing off people who are taking it way too seriously. It's been out for 7 years now, there's no fresh take left to be done that doesn't involve grinding for hours to buy a business that gives you just enough money to piss you off but not afford whatever flavor of the week car they're promoting.

I miss the old days of the garage duplication cheat.

I haven't played a SoF game since probably 2003, probably played Blackhawk Down more.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 19, 2020

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My one bit of fun with GTA 5 was when I was tearing around the backwoods in a fast car, went too fast and sideswiped a player on a motorcycle and knocked him off.

He spent the next 25 minutes chasing me around screaming abuse while I laughed my rear end off.

And after that it was poo poo.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

not caring here posted:

My one bit of fun with GTA 5 was when I was tearing around the backwoods in a fast car, went too fast and sideswiped a player on a motorcycle and knocked him off.

He spent the next 25 minutes chasing me around screaming abuse while I laughed my rear end off.

And after that it was poo poo.

R*, I have a great idea how to maximize profits for the upcoming console launch - instead of GTA6, let's re-launch GTA5 so our base can continue GTA Online and not actually put out new content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's actually the plan for now. They've already announced it will be on PS5 and the new Xbones.