Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Mr. Squishy posted:

cards played.

But note that if you lose a card you played the elements also go away for that turn - for example by forgetting it or discarding it from an event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I've played a couple 6p games of TI 3rd ed, they were all full day/late night affairs. But one guy who played it like several times a month with a group said they got the time down to less than 3 hours. So with a little experience I imagine 4th ed could be pretty fast.

As a student we'd play 3-5 player games of TI3 a few times a week. We were regularly around the three hour mark. A few times we even got two games in of an evening.

Once you get over needing somebody to marshal the game with what action it is and who is doing what it's very fast

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Bee posted:

For those who played the Lord of the rings LCG, what are some good places to jump in, and places to look up decks? I’ve played hundreds of hours of Arkham and I’m not worried about something being hard if it’s fair.

I've played a lot of this on the Switch. You might want to consider the digital version, its about a billion times cheaper than buying all the physical sets.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Anyone played the game Campaign Trail from Grey Fox games?

I have not, but if you want a solid 2 player election game check out the always super cheap Campaign Manager 2008 - it plays in 45-60 minutes and has optional pre-game deck building so you can play different strategies each time.

the only negative I can find is that cards that let you draw their replacements are so overpowered that if both players don't know this, the one that does will cruise to a win. Not an issue with the initial player decks

also a really good game to introduce area majority to a new board game player.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I have a soft spot for Catan, as that was one of the first proper games I ever played. Despite it being a very simple and luck-driven game, I haven't managed to find other - better - games that scratch a similar itch. By that I mean a game where everybodys engine is built on a shared map, with physical components representing the different pieces of the engine. And placement of components directly affect other players. Most engine builder have people playing solitaire with their own tableau. Any suggestions for game that work like this?

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 18, 2020

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

uncle blog posted:

I have a soft spot for Cata, as that was one of the first proper games I ever played. Despite it being a very simple and luck-driven game, I haven't managed to find other - better - games that scratch a similar itch. By that I mean a game where everybodys engine is built on a shared map, with physical components representing the different pieces of the engine. And placement of components directly affect other players. Most engine builder have people playing solitaire with their own tableau. Any suggestions for game that work like this?

Most of the Splotter Spellen games are like this, though they're not exactly engine builders, probably the most engine buildery one is Food Chain Magnate. Neuland is another logistics game where everything is built on a shared hex grid, though it's also not exactly an engine builder since buildings don't belong to a player (similar to the Splotter game Roads and Boats) . The old Tom Lehmann roll and move game Fast Food Franchise is a fairly clever take on Monopoly that uses a shared square grid that all players build on.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

uncle blog posted:

I have a soft spot for Catan, as that was one of the first proper games I ever played. Despite it being a very simple and luck-driven game, I haven't managed to find other - better - games that scratch a similar itch. By that I mean a game where everybodys engine is built on a shared map, with physical components representing the different pieces of the engine. And placement of components directly affect other players. Most engine builder have people playing solitaire with their own tableau. Any suggestions for game that work like this?

Keyflower

The board may not be "shared" per se, but people use each other's boards at very little cost so it might as well be.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I feel like Terra Mystica would be a fairly reasonable progression from Catan.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Got to play The 7th Continent with my friend a couple days ago. We had planned to stick with it for a couple hours before moving on to other stuff, but we ended up spending our whole night on it. I like it a lot, though I can see some problems with it that could sour me on it over time. The rulebook sucks! I've never had to go through looking for a rules clarification and not find an answer half as often as I do with this game. I'm still not sure how to save. The game can be frustrating at times when it isn't clear where you should go or what you should do, but that's just what you get with open exploration. Still, I'm excited to play more of it next week.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
something that makes it difficult to recommend games as "Catan replacements" or "the next step up from Catan" or what have you is that a lot of people play Catan in weird ways, most notably with trading. the way trading works (or, heheheheheheh, doesn't,) in Catan really excites people i talk to since they often don't take a step back to see what their trades are accomplishing for their opponents or the rest of the table. lots of good euro games realized that Catan's trading is broken and simply removed the feature entirely but it's still a feature that many people liked.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How's Underwater Cities? I got it as a gift last December. Never opened it. From what I read it sounded like it's a good, but not great, middle weight euro? Trying to see if it's worth cracking open or if I should just trade it still in shrink

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Bohnanza is my usual recommendation as a better version of Catan resource trading.

But yeah, nothing built more directly on Catan because fundamentally Catan isn't very good. The way those different pieces combine isn't very fun a lot of the time, and you don't set out to build an unfun game on purpose. Nobody has figured out a way to improve it without removing key pieces.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Megasabin posted:

How's Underwater Cities? I got it as a gift last December. Never opened it. From what I read it sounded like it's a good, but not great, middle weight euro? Trying to see if it's worth cracking open or if I should just trade it still in shrink

I played it once and would play it again, but I'm not super excited about it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Countblanc posted:

something that makes it difficult to recommend games as "Catan replacements" or "the next step up from Catan" or what have you is that a lot of people play Catan in weird ways, most notably with trading. the way trading works (or, heheheheheheh, doesn't,) in Catan really excites people i talk to since they often don't take a step back to see what their trades are accomplishing for their opponents or the rest of the table. lots of good euro games realized that Catan's trading is broken and simply removed the feature entirely but it's still a feature that many people liked.

Alternatively, house rule free trading into all euro games for the ultimate experience. The ratios on the board are bullshit, I want to trade my cubes with the guy next to me :colbert:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

in Catan really excites people i talk to since they often don't take a step back to see what their trades are accomplishing for their opponents or the rest of the table. lots of good euro games realized that Catan's trading is broken and simply removed the feature entirely but it's still a feature that many people liked.

It's funny - the problem I see more commonly in Catan (or other games with positive political options) is that people don't trade nearly enough - and that people see this as correct "tight" play. They only trade if they're sure they're getting more benefit than their trading partner, and in practice that means trades are very rare.

If a "promiscuous trader" (someone who trades whenever it benefits them, regardless of how it helps the other party) enters this metagame, they will usually dominate simply because they're taking part in so many beneficial exchanges. I've had a few nights where people scowled at me for doing so many bad trades that helped my opponents more than me... and then I won easy (despite not playing the game much). This pattern even comes up in games where deals aren't binding - stuff like Sherriff of Nottingham or Dominant Species Card Game. People are always avoiding (or breaking) deals, when just being a reliable trade partner is very lucrative.

But yeah, open trading is a very political action in most designs - so most modern boardgames tamp it down to avoid having those politics overshadow the rest of the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

or do games like sidreal confluence or to a lesser extent john company where it's the entire point

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Gumdrop Larry posted:

i agree with this - Terra mystica scratches a lot of the same itches as Catan does for me. Using stuff to build and upgrade buildings that give you more stuff, blocking other players, a spatial component, hexes with different colours, etc.

Dancer posted:

Keyflower

The board may not be "shared" per se, but people use each other's boards at very little cost so it might as well be.

also a good suggestion I think, but I think the spatial component of keyflower is not as interesting or fun as TM or even Catan

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bohnanza, Concordia and Space Base are all replacements for Catan depending on which element you like (trading, expanding on a map, rolling dice for stuff) but it's hard to find a game that has all of Catan but good.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Apparently the reprint of Tigris and Euphrates has an alternate map and some new pieces? Do they add anything substantial to the game?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cross posting The Challenge

Infinitum posted:

:siren::boonie::australia: OPEN CHALLENGE :australia::boonie::siren:
:siren::spooky: TIME TO GET SPOOKY MOTHER FUCKERS :spooky::siren:

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to form a team of Goons to fight me 4 vs 1 in Fury of Dracula; wherein I will proceed to murder the gently caress out of you all as the titular namesake.
You would be incorrect in assuming that this is somehow an unfair fight for me in any way shape or form, as I can assure you Dracula will punch a hole clean through your chest if you are not prepared.

:getin:

Requirements:
- A team of 4 players (I will not help you form the squad!) :siren:
- A copy of Tabletop Simulator
- This Fury of Dracula workshop module

Starting Time
Due to ~time zone nonsense~ It will be in the morning for me, as this time generally works out 'best' globally.
- 10 or 11am AEST (Australian Eastern Standard) November 1st :siren:
- 8 or 9pm EDT
- 5 or 6pm PDT
- 1 or 2am BST
(We can talk about what time works best for people)

Most games will take 2-3+ hours to play, please set aside time for this! :siren:

Streaming
- If someone could stream the event that would be great, as I am lazy and don't want to setup twitch again :v:

How to Play
Here is the first of a 2 part episode of Fury of Dracula being played, and what inspired me to pick it up in the first place
I strongly recommend you watch the first episode at the very least to get an understanding of the basics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kU__uZDYTI&t=86s
(:rip: Grant Imahara)

Here is a pretty good overview of mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwtvXzSzgE

:siren::spooky: Fight me cowards! :spooky::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHkzENGzjN8

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 19, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Original GW Fury of Dracula is the only version worth playing. :colbert:

I mentioned it in the Discord, but if anyone wants to try Dirty Money I have access to playtest tables on Tabletopia. 2-5 player tableau builder where players are criminals trying to launder their ill gotten gains. Should run no more than an hour.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

Is that the one where you could lay infinite traps as Dracula?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

True OG gamers play the 1983 edition of Scotland Yard :colbert:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Nobody mentioned Chinatown as an alternative to Catan? It seems to tick all the boxes asked about. It's a trading game that uses a board where trades have a visual impact on the board state with random elements affecting resources available to trade. It doesn't have the same sort of resource breakdown as Catan but I think it fits the bill well enough.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

That’s a pretty huge jump in complexity.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Wife and I did a learning game of Bee Lives over the weekend (well, part of one. We got throuhg I think 5 rounds). It was a little rough getting started, but after a few rounds I think we got the hang of it. It's all about resource management and deciding when to slap down neighboring hives to keep them from raiding you. I don't think I've quite grasped the strategy yet, but I wasn't really expecting to after half a game.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Crackbone posted:

That’s a pretty huge jump in complexity.

Yeah, I like Terra Mystica but it's incredibly painful to learn and teach and isn't helped by having multiple factions being huge traps. If you're gonna play a game with Catan like pieces to draw people into the hobby, gotta vote for Concordia.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I played it once and would play it again, but I'm not super excited about it.

Contrary opinion: It was the biggest hit in my game group of last year's releases and is one that I can regularly pull out happily with all weights of gamers, from my folks back home at Texas to my heavy-gamer crowd in Seattle.

It's actually really good and the expansion makes it great.

edit: This is a late reply to Megasabin's question about Underwater Cities.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Availability is going to be your main limiting factor.

FYI since it hit me by surprise: a few months back, FFG put all of LotR:LCG back into print, orderable via their website. Some of their stuff currently shows as out-of-stock again, but I think that's because a lot of it got bought up by people like me trying to backfill their collections. At any rate, older expansions and decks have had a fresh pile of inventory come out so some stores, ebay, amazon sellers etc. likely have more stock than before.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I'm thinking of finally picking up A Feast for Odin, for something to play with my SO this winter, and I'm curious if anyone's got a playthrough/review video they like. I don't think I want to sit through a Rahdo video on it.

AFFO seems to be somewhere between Caverna and Agricola in terms of tension, it that about right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

manero posted:

AFFO seems to be somewhere between Caverna and Agricola in terms of tension, it that about right?

That's reasonably close yeah. The expansion makes things much tighter, especially at 2, by having Agricola style modular boards for the action selection (and removing a lot of spots for 2p). It's still less tense than Agricola because you don't have to do a little of everything to avoid negative points, you can just go hard in any one direction or mix things together however you'd like.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6yxQ5bORnY

This is my go to for teaching new players.
The first 30min is rules explanation, and the rest of it is a pretty good playthrough.

It's for The Norwegians, but I would put it to you that you should pick it up as well

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Redundant posted:

Nobody mentioned Chinatown as an alternative to Catan? It seems to tick all the boxes asked about. It's a trading game that uses a board where trades have a visual impact on the board state with random elements affecting resources available to trade. It doesn't have the same sort of resource breakdown as Catan but I think it fits the bill well enough.

Yeah Chinatown is the superior Catan. Focuses on networking aligned property, has trading, random inputs, and is easy to teach. Even has random event cards if you decided you needed more variance like the event cards in Catan.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

manero posted:

I'm thinking of finally picking up A Feast for Odin, for something to play with my SO this winter, and I'm curious if anyone's got a playthrough/review video they like. I don't think I want to sit through a Rahdo video on it.

Feast doesn't feel as tense as Agricola, because the feeding phase is so easy to accomplish. But in the end it will still punish a new player just as much as Agricola, any experienced player will beat a newbie hands down. Its just at the end of the game of Feast a newbie should have a fully filled out board, rather than a depressing poverty farm like they would in Agricola.

It mostly comes down to reproduction happening automatically. It's always the most powerful move, so it dominates the strategy of Agricola. You just new men for free in Feast, so there is a larger space for fooling around and collecting points.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Infinitum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6yxQ5bORnY

This is my go to for teaching new players.
The first 30min is rules explanation, and the rest of it is a pretty good playthrough.

It's for The Norwegians, but I would put it to you that you should pick it up as well

Awesome, thanks!

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah Chinatown is the superior Catan. Focuses on networking aligned property, has trading, random inputs, and is easy to teach. Even has random event cards if you decided you needed more variance like the event cards in Catan.

Is this actually a thing? First I've ever heard of it

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I feel like Chinatown has a few too many building types. I have definitely had rounds where I drew nothing good so I had no bargaining chips. Wish there was a way to clean that up easily.

Also really surprised at how good it and Bohnanza are as Catan replacements. In my experience, people who enjoy Catan either would enjoy anything and they just don't know what is out there or they love the social and trading aspect of it. The pure negotiation games probably nail that well.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My family likes Las Vegas a lot. Has anyone tried the Boulevard expansion? It looks like Las Vegas Royale is a rerelease that includes the expansion, so I'd like to pick it up if it's any good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Street Horrrsing posted:

Is this actually a thing? First I've ever heard of it

The draw bag counts as random yeah? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My family likes Las Vegas a lot. Has anyone tried the Boulevard expansion? It looks like Las Vegas Royale is a rerelease that includes the expansion, so I'd like to pick it up if it's any good.

My favorite part of the expansion, the double die, is easily proxied if you wanna go that route. The other stuff is cool, but when I looked last was pricey AF.