Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

Black Hole Units can store 2,147,483,647 of a single item. That's 2 billion.

Oh, I thought the number stored was reporting the capacity. Not how many of those units you had, Jesus

That's a lot of black holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And then there's another block from that mod that can take in 9 Black Hole Units so you can concentrate storage even further. I was having difficulties finding items to put in them when I built a storage facility deliberately to max out an AE2 controller channel.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Sage Grimm posted:

And then there's another block from that mod that can take in 9 Black Hole Units so you can concentrate storage even further. I was having difficulties finding items to put in them when I built a storage facility deliberately to max out an AE2 controller channel.

Did you have to do anything special to get AE2 to work properly with the Black Hole controller units?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Mr Scumbag posted:

Did you have to do anything special to get AE2 to work properly with the Black Hole controller units?

I don't think so; slap a storage bus on one and play around with it, just make sure the priority is higher than your disks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The last time I used AE2 like that, it was with Deep Storage Units. IF's version might have different I/O.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Completely overkill, functionally limitless, diskless storage system:

450 Black Hole Controllers each containing 12 Black Hole Units for a total of 5,400 Black Hole Units.

I've injected the contents of all my disks and the majority of the units I've checked are still empty. Which is the greatest weakness of the system: no monitoring of storage. Then again, it's not really needed unless more than 5,400 unique objects are inserted into the network, which seems unlikely.

I find it shocking that it works at all. I was expecting some kind of issue, from configuration problems, lag, a crash or even a corrupted save. But it just works.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!
What are the chill, Life in the Woods type packs anymore?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

croup coughfield posted:

What are the chill, Life in the Woods type packs anymore?

They don't really exist, as that sort of pack doesn't get streamers playing it.

DPT (current thread here, but it's outdated) rolls our own packs and we try for that a bit.

We're currently working on a new pack on 1.15 with Create and other neat, more vanilla-y sorts of things.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!

dragonshardz posted:

They don't really exist, as that sort of pack doesn't get streamers playing it.

That sucks to hear.

dragonshardz posted:

We're currently working on a new pack on 1.15 with Create and other neat, more vanilla-y sorts of things.

Looking forward to this - I used to play DPT awhile back. Please post it here when it's ready!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

croup coughfield posted:

That sucks to hear.

Looking forward to this - I used to play DPT awhile back. Please post it here when it's ready!

We're probably overdue a new thread, but the Discord link in there still works, so feel free to drop by and hang out.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Is there a current big kitchen sink disaster mod pack people would recommend? I've been thinking about maybe picking it up again and whenever I do I always just want to play the most maximalist pack possible, a minecraft that is like hell.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Varinn posted:

Is there a current big kitchen sink disaster mod pack people would recommend? I've been thinking about maybe picking it up again and whenever I do I always just want to play the most maximalist pack possible, a minecraft that is like hell.

All The Mods. There you go.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Varinn posted:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/xxl-pants-pack

Actually don't, I haven't updated it since May and it's pretty out of date

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 14, 2020

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
🤔 I heard Chisel&Bits (or was it LittleTiles?) got a test release for 1.16, has anybody given it a try? I feel like either of those coupled with Mizuno's texture pack and CIT would be, like, my ideal combo to play with.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SexyBlindfold posted:

🤔 I heard Chisel&Bits (or was it LittleTiles?) got a test release for 1.16, has anybody given it a try? I feel like either of those coupled with Mizuno's texture pack and CIT would be, like, my ideal combo to play with.

ChiselBits has a beta for 1.16 yes.

LittleTiles is not updating to 1.16 until the dev is done with some other poo poo.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What are some of the better sandboxy type modpacks?

I've got a server with some friends and we're playing All The Mods 6 but I miss things like Tinkers Construct and a few other things so I'm happy to go back to older packs.
It's been a long time since I played though.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

What are some of the better sandboxy type modpacks?

I've got a server with some friends and we're playing All The Mods 6 but I miss things like Tinkers Construct and a few other things so I'm happy to go back to older packs.
It's been a long time since I played though.

Tilt your eyes upwards slightly.

(All The Mods 3 Remix is probably what you want)

I made the aforementioned XXL Pants Pack because it didn't have all the mods I wanted though. Also so much IC2. I don't want no IC2 in my packs.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 18, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I started playing a pack called Heavens of Sorcery, which starts off in a peaceful, no-mob-spawn skyblock and expands to other dimensions while still letting you use your skyblock base as a sort of pocket dimension, which I like a lot. It skips sifting, SkyResources, Ex Nihilo, etc. and goes with some odd but relatively agreeable early resource generation and the main focus is on magic mods rather than tech mods. I'm not far into it so I'm not really sure what my opinion is yet, but it does have a lot of cool mods in it I haven't seen before, like one that adds instanced dungeons you run through to kill monsters, dodge traps, and grab loot, and then at the end there's a portal home. Another, which I'd like to see made standard, increases stack sizes to 8,192. Wizardry is a very stylish and well presented magic mod that let me down a bit because all the spell effects seem wildly unhelpful or situational, and despite pushing itself as a successor to Ars Magica I can't think of many situations I'd want to use almost any of these spells.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm playing that one too. The stack size is nice for some things but it did break one or two mods.
Yeah Wizardry kindof sucks unfortunately. Being able to walk through blocks is cool in theory but you sometimes clip through the floor which is not great. The reagents required for most spells are ridiculously expensive and most of the effects seem like they're just different ways of dealing damage.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the stack size thing felt extremely relaxing

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Patware posted:

It's right up there with the mod that makes it so breaking a block puts it directly into your inventory as a mod I want integrated into vanilla immediately. What immense quality of life.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Patware posted:

God, yeah. Stack Up (iirc) is a phenomenal mod.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Vib Rib posted:

I started playing a pack called Heavens of Sorcery, which starts off in a peaceful, no-mob-spawn skyblock and expands to other dimensions while still letting you use your skyblock base as a sort of pocket dimension, which I like a lot. It skips sifting, SkyResources, Ex Nihilo, etc. and goes with some odd but relatively agreeable early resource generation and the main focus is on magic mods rather than tech mods. I'm not far into it so I'm not really sure what my opinion is yet, but it does have a lot of cool mods in it I haven't seen before, like one that adds instanced dungeons you run through to kill monsters, dodge traps, and grab loot, and then at the end there's a portal home. Another, which I'd like to see made standard, increases stack sizes to 8,192. Wizardry is a very stylish and well presented magic mod that let me down a bit because all the spell effects seem wildly unhelpful or situational, and despite pushing itself as a successor to Ars Magica I can't think of many situations I'd want to use almost any of these spells.

I've been playing this one for a few weeks now as well. The author is the same guy who made Regrowth way back when. I probably have about 60 hours into it and have reached the current end of the quest book (though I'm sure I shaved some time off by cheating past some parts (misty world stuff mostly) that I was not enjoying.) Some things I wish I knew at the beginning of the pack in no particular order:

- Angel of Vengeance seems cool and not all that difficult to get into, I wish I had done that sooner.
- I found flight from the Wings Mod was massive QoL increase. To get the fairy dust needed, you need to goto a dimension that is hidden in one of the secondary quest chapters (you can complete a pair of wings early/mid Astral Sorcery)
- Make a hammock when you start doing astral sorcery stuff (its a reverse bed.)
- Any mob can crush berries, and you can pipe out liquid juice from the bottom of crushing tubs once you have embers pipes. I saw a really cool setup where someone used magma slimes to crush tubs.
- I wish I had automated my Botania Mana Production far earlier than I actually ended up doing it. I think I've gone through ~15 mana pools so far (I am using Botania for Armor and main weapon.)
- I wish I had used one of the automatic breaker things to setup a cobblegen when it became available, simply for making a bigger platform.
- Consider building the dungeon token forge when you are able. In addition to armor and weapons, many of the bauble artifacts work with that system as well. Getting some more move speed/jump height made moving around any dimension way easier.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bann posted:

- I wish I had used one of the automatic breaker things to setup a cobblegen when it became available, simply for making a bigger platform.
Thanks for all the tips! This one in particular stood out: I was kind of amazed how long it takes to get any decent building material in any kind of quantity. The cobblegen doesn't come with a block breaker. I did find an Embers automatic (no fuel needed) block breaker somewhere, I want to say it was a random reward for something? Maybe early dungeon loot? Anyway it made things way easier but I just realized that if I hadn't found that I'd probably still be scrounging for building materials.
Dirt's not a great material but you can get some early at least. I know you can make clay into dirt in a cauldron with mana, but is there any early way to automate that? Going through the same set of tedious clicks over and over wears on you.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I played a bit of havens of sorcery and it was really fun BUT I got to the point where you need to start exploring the misty world and couldn't figure out how to actually put filters into my mask, is that fixed/have a secret keybind I didn't know about?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

egg tats posted:

I played a bit of havens of sorcery and it was really fun BUT I got to the point where you need to start exploring the misty world and couldn't figure out how to actually put filters into my mask, is that fixed/have a secret keybind I didn't know about?

Alt right click I believe with the mask in hand it's extremely unintuitive

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

egg tats posted:

Shift right click with the mask in your hand. That's the usual button combination to access an item's internal inventory or additional functions.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

After months of arguing with Minecraft technical support about my account from months after release, I have come to the conclusion that I will need to buy Minecraft again (tech support eventually just told me to go to hell), and when I do, I will install mods. Last time I actually had Minecraft to play they didn't even have launchers, and the OP is from five years ago, so I assume most of its info is out of date - what are the hippest, coolest bigass mods or modpacks around?

edit: I notice a couple other people have asked about mods on this page, but I don't want crazy poo poo, just various flavors of Quality.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 20, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's reddit, but this is the kind of thing you're looking at when you're asking for modpacks, and this is like 0.1% of an exhaustive list of packs out there. https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/j66mlm/the_answer_to_what_pack_should_i_play_fall_2020/

Edit: holy poo poo I haven't looked at the OP in a long-rear end time, that's hilarious.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 20, 2020

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Black Pants posted:

It's reddit, but this is the kind of thing you're looking at when you're asking for modpacks, and this is like 0.1% of an exhaustive list of packs out there. https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/j66mlm/the_answer_to_what_pack_should_i_play_fall_2020/

Edit: holy poo poo I haven't looked at the OP in a long-rear end time, that's hilarious.

Looks good, although one of the subheadings talks about quality GregTech packs, which I recall by reputation are remarkably grindy and the guy who made them is nuts and put code in there to crash Minecraft if it detected a mod was changing them to be less grindy? Which makes me mildly question the quality of this person's opinions. I suppose all that could be way outdated, like all my other Minecraft knowledge, though!

related: I was talking about Minecraft with another friend recently, and I was like "I'll probably get a mod for some kind of recipe book; it sucks how you have to figure everything out, which means there's probably a lot of stuff you'll miss, and the recipes for a lot of medium-complexity stuff it just ;read the patch notes'."

He was like "uhhhh my dude Minecraft has a way to look up recipes, and even a little book to guide you gently through advancement" and my mind was blown. He booted up the game to show me. That poo poo is perfect.

edit: Oh yeah, what launcher should I be using for most of these? The post doesn't really say, so I assume there's one so prevalent that it doesn't even need to be mentioned.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 20, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

John Lee posted:

Looks good, although one of the subheadings talks about quality GregTech packs, which I recall by reputation are remarkably grindy and the guy who made them is nuts and put code in there to crash Minecraft if it detected a mod was changing them to be less grindy? Which makes me mildly question the quality of this person's opinions. I suppose all that could be way outdated, like all my other Minecraft knowledge, though!

related: I was talking about Minecraft with another friend recently, and I was like "I'll probably get a mod for some kind of recipe book; it sucks how you have to figure everything out, which means there's probably a lot of stuff you'll miss, and the recipes for a lot of medium-complexity stuff it just ;read the patch notes'."

He was like "uhhhh my dude Minecraft has a way to look up recipes, and even a little book to guide you gently through advancement" and my mind was blown. He booted up the game to show me. That poo poo is perfect.

Gregtech is like the dwarf fortress of minecraft mods. It's very crazy, nearly impenetrable, and makes no sense to anyone who isn't already neck deep in it. But if you have the brain worms that make you like that sort of poo poo it is the BEST.

Gregtech:New Horizons is my favorite modpack ever and I pop up in this thread every few months to rope a couple more crazies into investing literally hundreds of hours in crawling up from the stone age to sort of almost launching a rocket, look I still need to build a clean room for tier 5 circuits and set up nether star production via thaumcraft and make another thousand steel and aluminum and then automate tnt production for the implosion compressor but like that's only a couple more weeks. Except then I start running low on power so I work on a giant fish trap farm to supply biofuel and maybe that would be a lot easier running on enchanted solar panels instead of siphoning off my benzene fueled generators, but I need to go kill another lich in twilight forest and I've been meaning to expand my redstone farm and.....

Yeah I don't recommend it as a first dive into modded minecraft but it's the best thing out there for a very specific set of people.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i don't know about any other GT packs, but gregtech new horizons is the best modpack i've ever played, with the possible exception of blightfall, as i see that one as nearly its own game. for me personally, GTNH has made any other modpack obsolete, and I couldn't see myself playing anything similar again for a long time. it's been in active development for quite a few years now, and its mods are extremely well integrated. Yes, there's a lot of microcrafting, but the pack has a sort of internal consistency and ways of getting around potential tedium that at once feels satisfying and like you're actually accomplishing real milestones.

I know there's other people around that feel similar about gtnh, hopefully they could chime in itt. also it might not be what you're after at all because it definitely falls in the "expert" style of packs. it's definitely Quality though

e- lol

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Gregtech is like the dwarf fortress of minecraft mods. It's very crazy, nearly impenetrable, and makes no sense to anyone who isn't already neck deep in it. But if you have the brain worms that make you like that sort of poo poo it is the BEST.

Gregtech:New Horizons is my favorite modpack ever and I pop up in this thread every few months to rope a couple more crazies into investing literally hundreds of hours in crawling up from the stone age to sort of almost launching a rocket, look I still need to build a clean room for tier 5 circuits and set up nether star production via thaumcraft and make another thousand steel and aluminum and then automate tnt production for the implosion compressor but like that's only a couple more weeks. Except then I start running low on power so I work on a giant fish trap farm to supply biofuel and maybe that would be a lot easier running on enchanted solar panels instead of siphoning off my benzene fueled generators, but I need to go kill another lich in twilight forest and I've been meaning to expand my redstone farm and.....

Yeah I don't recommend it as a first dive into modded minecraft but it's the best thing out there for a very specific set of people.

I mean, I DO like Dwarf Fortress and Satisfactory a lot... Is it still helmed by the weird guy? The specific stuff I heard was that he inflated basic resource recipes so you got less for more and refused to let anybody change it, which sounds lame. I do like the sound of your description, though.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

John Lee posted:

edit: Oh yeah, what launcher should I be using for most of these? The post doesn't really say, so I assume there's one so prevalent that it doesn't even need to be mentioned.

GDLauncher.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

John Lee posted:

I mean, I DO like Dwarf Fortress and Satisfactory a lot... Is it still helmed by the weird guy? The specific stuff I heard was that he inflated basic resource recipes so you got less for more and refused to let anybody change it, which sounds lame. I do like the sound of your description, though.

Yeah you need special tools or machines to get full yield from wood or other resources, but if you like those games it may fit in your wheelhouse. Like you use a shitton of iron but ores come in huge veins with thousands of ores each.

The quest book does a good job of teaching you the basics but you absolutely need to be familiar with the use of the NEI mod, which is the item/recipe database mod. It's also important to at least read up on the mechanics behind steam and electrical power because neither is intuitive and both can cause your base to explode unless disabled in the configs.

I've posted a shitton about the mod so if you do make the colossal mistake of taking this recommendation and playing GT:NH then you can get a ton of info at various points in the thread.

Seriously though, there are so many excellent packs out there that if this one is way too overwhelming (it is), table it and play another pack rather than be turned away completely!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I'll probably gently caress around with it way to early, yeah! Does it have multiplayer support? It'd be nice to be able to play with my pals, who have just become unemployed and are sitting around with available Minecraft accounts.

quick edit: also thanks Pat, I'd never even heard of GDLauncher so I probably wouldn't have found it without delving into Google.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GDLauncher is the new hotness; I recommend staying away from the Twitch launcher as Curseforge has been sold off to Overwolf, which is a mildly sketchy "addons" provider through a standalone overlay thing for WoW and some other poo poo...

If you'd like to play a kitchen sink, DNFJ and Eox teamed up to run a Minecraft server which I don't have the details handy for, but it's a 1.12 kitchen sink with a big pile of cool poo poo.

Alternatively, DPT (yes I'm still pimping it, hush) is currently on a 1.12 pack as well, but it's more progression-ish. We're upgrading to a 1.15 pack soontm with a custom-made map.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

John Lee posted:

I'll probably gently caress around with it way to early, yeah! Does it have multiplayer support? It'd be nice to be able to play with my pals, who have just become unemployed and are sitting around with available Minecraft accounts.

quick edit: also thanks Pat, I'd never even heard of GDLauncher so I probably wouldn't have found it without delving into Google.

GT:NH has both server files and official servers hosted by the guy/team who made the pack. I think you need to get whitelisted via the discord, but I've made personal servers for the family before. I can never seem to get servers to work outside of my local network without a vpn though.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The GTNH discord is super helpful and full of knowledgeable weirdos that will respond any time of day or night
https://discord.gg/EXshrPV

for the record, I use MultiMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

GT:NH has both server files and official servers hosted by the guy/team who made the pack. I think you need to get whitelisted via the discord, but I've made personal servers for the family before. I can never seem to get servers to work outside of my local network without a vpn though.

Luckily, it'd be on a local network! (We have a half-assed commune thing going on where we all just live together sharing support)