Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shammypants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqnVQWePtrs

Watched this review today and oof..

Not the best look. NPCs doing flying butt attacks that don't make contact but do damage. Music and voiceovers missing in numerous areas. Weather effects not functioning or not implemented. Redundant quests. Most concerning is there are far more things you can't use sneak attacks on or assassinate.

Watched this and I really don't understand his complaints, they don't line up at all with the footage that is shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Watched this and I really don't understand his complaints, they don't line up at all with the footage that is shown.

The casual voice over during the intense duel really stands out. So does the flat direction in voice acting and cut scenes. But yeah, a lot of what he says seems wildly overblown when you're actually watching the footage of what are supposed to be glaringly bad issues.

I liked Origins and Odyssey so unless this is terrible I'm sure I'll grab it at some point. I think I got Odyssey shortly after it came out when Target did a buy 2 games get 1 free deal. I might try to do the same thing this year.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like flat voice acting is a pretty fair complaint for most of odyssey too though (the minor/side characters I mean, both protags are good) and I liked that game a lot. Considering that origins and odyssey were both fun to play, I feel like Ubisoft is going to have to work very hard to truly screw this one up in ways that can’t be fixed with early patches, so I’m not terribly worried.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shammypants posted:

Weather effects not functioning or not implemented.

with the exception of the storms in AC4, Ive always thought the series had really lovely weather effects for an open world game. was playing Odyssey a bit last night and noticed how lazy the rain was, just some lines drawn over the screen and a bit of sound design with no other visible effect on the world, surfaces, your character, etc

was hoping they'd put a bit more effort into it this time since, you know, its in England so it should be raining more often than not. but its not a dealbreaker

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 16, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Earwicker posted:

with the exception of the storms in AC4, Ive always thought the series had really lovely weather effects for an open world game. was playing Odyssey a bit last night and noticed how lazy the rain was, just some lines drawn over the screen and a bit of sound design with no other visible effect on the world, surfaces, your character, etc

was hoping they'd put a bit more effort into it this time since, you know, its in England so it should be raining more often than not. but its not a dealbreaker

The one thing the weather does for me in Odyssey is make me worry I won't be able to climb and then I realize this is not BotW and I can climb most anything wet. Except a tree or Isu artifact or certain walls or rock geometry that doesn't work.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's a bit nitpicky but the fact that they still haven't had weather affect the environment and character is bananas to me. After RDR2 and Tsushima, it's like a must. Those little things add so much to the fidelity and mood.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
His weakest complaints are that it is the wrong kind of game, as in his repeated references to the title. Unfortunately he has other, much stronger, criticisms; the bad looking animations, both in combat and dialogue, the sloppy stealth. Also, I don't think he brought this up but the lighting in that tent interior are awful; flat and lifeless.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Alchenar posted:

Cyberpunk first and then I can pick this up on sale.

I'm still deciding between ACV and Watch Dogs 2, one of which I'll buy at release and one I'll hold off on until a sale.

Both currently look flawed-but-good, and I'm looking forward to endlessly dicking around in both of them. I wanna wreck up England in the past AND near future!

(Does Watch Dogs really not even have an SA thread yet? wth)

edit: errrrr Legion, obvs

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 17, 2020

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

watch dogs 2 came out 4 years ago

I never pick up anything day one anymore so I'll be waiting for reviews regardless, but I'm excited for AC:V and WD:L. Is the full-game coop for WD:L day one or is that one of the DLC coming out post-launch?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Babe Magnet posted:

watch dogs 2 came out 4 years ago

You rascal, read what I meant, not what I typed!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Non-regenerative health is ok but you need tight level and encounter design. Why make me gather herbs everywhere to heal ugh this was awful in Horizon

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

Non-regenerative health is ok but you need tight level and encounter design. Why make me gather herbs everywhere to heal ugh this was awful in Horizon

Yeah worst part of HZD was having to constantly stop and pick stuff. Ugh if this game is going to be the same

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jimbot posted:

It's a bit nitpicky but the fact that they still haven't had weather affect the environment and character is bananas to me. After RDR2 and Tsushima, it's like a must. Those little things add so much to the fidelity and mood.

yeah it didnt matter as much in earlier games when the graphics weren't as good but now it just looks jarring to be walking around on very well rendered dry sand in the middle of a "rainstorm"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Shammypants posted:

Not the best look. NPCs doing flying butt attacks that don't make contact but do damage. Music and voiceovers missing in numerous areas. Weather effects not functioning or not implemented. Redundant quests. Most concerning is there are far more things you can't use sneak attacks on or assassinate.

I assumed we all knew by now to wait for a sale a few months later when the game is $40 and has had a bunch of random QoL improvements added? At least for the last few years Ubisoft has released the basic structure of a game and then filled it in with content afterwards. Odyssey didn't even have the cosmetic toggle for like six months and just stopped adding new quests like a year ago. Valhalla definitely feels like a January 2021 'the shine has worn off of Cyberpunk 2077 and I survived the hell of the previous year' purchase.

...he said, having preordered Watch Dogs Legion, a game that looks even jankier than the worst radiant quests in Odyssey. But it was on sale for $39 when I did it! Don't judge me!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Odyssey added transmog in November 2018, one month after release.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Trustworthy posted:

You rascal, read what I meant, not what I typed!

never!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
There were some QoL additions for Odyssey month after release and you had to wait for big additions till after the first expansion, I think. But then it mostly concerned post-game content most people wouldn't get into anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Shammypants posted:

Finally watching this and the worst thing he points out is that usually everyone looks like clay. But sometimes the lighting works and people look okay. It's weird because it's a big step back from Odyssey, but I guess Odyssey being in the sunny mediterranean meant that everything was much brighter?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alchenar posted:

https://youtu.be/aqnVQWePtrs?t=330

Oh wow. It's not even like he's combing the game for stuff this bad, he's just picking stuff he came across in an afternoon of playing.

e: also I really like this guy, thanks for linking to him. He's making a lot of subjective judgements about the game but linking them really effectively to game footage so that for every opinion I'm there nodding and thinking 'yep, I can absolutely see what you are describing'.

ehh. he has always been kinda of a big contrarian type who blows poo poo out of proportion for clicks so i take his points with a massive grain of salt. i am still getting regular edition day 1.

on watch dogs legion. it looks ok. playing as any rando sounds like dumb fun that could work well enough and the gold edition comes with an assassins and Grumpy McIconichat (who i will dress up in awful looking tourist clothing and poo poo.) it looks like a fun "listen to a book and podcast game".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

At least for the last few years Ubisoft has released the basic structure of a game and then filled it in with content afterwards.

odyssey had a pretty huge amount of content at launch tho. thats definitely not how i would describe that game

watch dogs legion looks good, im going to wait for a for reviews to come out before grabbing it for sure, but i enjoyed the second one and still play it sometimes, the multiplayer is a lot of fun and as someone who grew up in the bay area, they did a great job with the world design

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

For the PS5 version of the game, I know if you get the PS4 version you can auto-upgrade to the PS5 one but will your save transfer over?

I plan on getting ps5 day one but unsure if I should play the few days extra early or just wait.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Evil Canadian posted:

For the PS5 version of the game, I know if you get the PS4 version you can auto-upgrade to the PS5 one but will your save transfer over?

I plan on getting ps5 day one but unsure if I should play the few days extra early or just wait.

yes it does a save transfer. at least i assume it does.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yes it does a save transfer. at least i assume it does.

I've seen mixed messages from Ubisoft on Twitter about this. Initially they told someone that PS4 version save files do carry over to the upgraded PS5 version, then they kind of walked it back.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia0vVQnNGcc

LoFi beats to Raid/Chill with

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just realized last night that uPlay+ is getting Valhalla on November 17. 24 hours before Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't seem like the best decision? :thunk:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Just realized last night that uPlay+ is getting Valhalla on November 17. 24 hours before Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't seem like the best decision? :thunk:

I mean, it's better than 24 hours after

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The vikings actually brought skalds with them. One of the most famous were Tormod Kolbrunarskald. He died in a battle in 1030 when an arrow pierced his heart. He was offered onion porridge (if a wounded ate it and the healer could smell the onion in the wounds then the internal organs were damaged) but refused it by saying that he wasn't hungry for porridge. He then pulled out the arrow and saw that pieces of his heart was stuck in the arrow. His last words were "well did the king feed me, the roots of my heart is still thick".

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've not really taken in the gameplay videos yet but is the core mechanic of all enemies scaling to your level going to be like Odyssey or Origins?

In Origins it was fine because you basically outlevelled an area naturally and moved on, but in Odyssey it became a loving chore and made the 10,000th battle a bloody chore.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

I like the fact they're finally ditching stealth as the big focus, after "strong Spartan that you have to play as a ninja"

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Kin posted:

I've not really taken in the gameplay videos yet but is the core mechanic of all enemies scaling to your level going to be like Odyssey or Origins?

In Origins it was fine because you basically outlevelled an area naturally and moved on, but in Odyssey it became a loving chore and made the 10,000th battle a bloody chore.

Eh, I don't know. For me it was a chore in Origins meeting all those enemies I was supposed to fight 5 levels ago and now they're just boring meat shield on my way giving me no challenge and no rewards.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ilitarist posted:

Eh, I don't know. For me it was a chore in Origins meeting all those enemies I was supposed to fight 5 levels ago and now they're just boring meat shield on my way giving me no challenge and no rewards.

Better a sense of progression than a sense of tedium.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Kin posted:

I think they'll probably still scale but they've also made a big deal of having way more enemy types this time, so hopefully part of the difficulty increase will be in fighting harder enemy types and not just "same basic swordsman but level 50 instead of level 5"

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Kin posted:

Better a sense of progression than a sense of tedium.

Nah

Killing low level dudes that get one shot feels even more tedious.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It was much better when AC didn't have levels and the only way the enemies would kill you is through superior weapons or numbers rather than a dumb arbitrary system which means that random starving bandits are literally as strong as battle hardened warriors

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Actually in Odyssey they've already adressed this. Unless you play on highest difficulty level autoscaling never brings enemies to your level, they're always weaker than you but not enough to be pushovers.

And yeah, I'm not sure why AC really needs levels. Or rather open world like that. I like the whole progression system and it gives you some additional goals when you explore a huge open world. Guess they've decided their budget calls for games too big to be enjoyed without adding World of Warcraft on top of it.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 19, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

a dumb arbitrary system which means that random starving bandits are literally as strong as battle hardened warriors

Or chickens.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blackajack posted:

I like the fact they're finally ditching stealth as the big focus, after "strong Spartan that you have to play as a ninja"

I could never play stealth because it felt so weird seeing Kassandra try and sneak around when she's built like she can just crush someone's head with her bare hands instead of needing to quietly stab someone.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ilitarist posted:

Actually in Odyssey they've already adressed this. Unless you play on highest difficulty level autoscaling never brings enemies to your level, they're always weaker than you but not enough to be pushovers

True but it's still pretty dumb. At level 50 you're running into level 47 chumps and it's like, why even have a level system then

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alhazred posted:

Or chickens.

Having played Ocarina of Time, I find nothing weird about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

True but it's still pretty dumb. At level 50 you're running into level 47 chumps and it's like, why even have a level system then
literally just to gate areas until the story is ready for you to go there