Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perc2
May 16, 2020

foutre posted:

I'm a fan, I kind of want to try this now. What are you making it with?

Thanks! It's C#, so literally just calls to Console.SetCursor() and Console.Write(), but I use a nice lil library called Pastel to color the output. Very crude but I just don't have the energy to learn an engine and spend time on graphics, just want to implement features.... Work still ongoing, civs now declare war/peace on each other and attack based on army strength and each ruler's agressiveness... army strength just a number at the moment but there will be proper troop types and combat. Get the core of the game done, then I can mess around with lots of cool poo poo like upgrading your castle, events, locations to visit, etc. When there's a win state I'll put it out on itch and go from there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Really cool! Imo a great solution, excited to see how it processes.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I know it's not a :airquote:project:airquote: and it's the 2015 edition but...

I'm halfway there to complete my first year of Advent of Code! :toot:

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009
I ended up digging some dormant side project from my project graveyard and do something about them.

First of all I had Raspberry Pi laying around, which I intended to use to build a weather station. I finally ended up actually doing this:

(Although I probably need to revisit my weatherproofing solution...)

I set up a server on AWS, which is running PostgreSQL. The Raspberry Pi reads the sensor data (currently only temperature and humidity) every 5 minutes and pushes it to the database. I also have a webapp that then provides this data for some graph library that draws some fancy graphs for me. The site and data can be seen here, although the site is in Finnish and I'm too lazy to localize it in any way (also serves a proof in general that front-end development isn't my strong suit):

I also ended up resurrecting my compiler project. I implemented, among other things, function calls, integer and boolean arrays and external function support. This allows me to actually use functions, and link the program against a C program, as I follow the system C calling conventions. This is super useful, as I can piggyback on the C libraries to do things like IO. Optimizer is currently on backburner, as keeping that up-to-date with features slowed down feature implementation too much. The generated assembly is pretty :gonk: as a result though. At least it works.

I got arrays working as reference parameters today, so I can finally implement Quicksort:

the int_printer external function here is implemented in C and is just a wrapper around printf.

I also wrote a e2e-test framework for the compiler. I have bunch of test cases defined in .yaml files (program, metadata for linking, expected stdout and stderr etc). The test runner discovers these tests, and compiles and run the program, and then asserts that expected and actual output matches. This has been pretty handy with preventing regressions from creeping in.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I opened up my plex server to a few friends, which of course means I had to set up a discord notification bot for new content. After realizing that tautulli's built in webhooks notifier was really limited, I decided to write my own in python instead, so tautulli could just run a script.

The killer feature tautulli couldn't provide is that it fills out randomly selected madlibs to go with every announcement instead of constantly repeating the same bland announcement.

code:
Greetings, my {adjective} humans!

Today I bring you a special gift, {superlative}.

You'll {verb}, you'll {verb}, you'll {verb} your {nouns} with glee!

Presenting: {title}!
Becomes:

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 26, 2020

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

corgski posted:

I opened up my plex server to a few friends, which of course means I had to set up a discord notification bot for new content. After realizing that tautulli's built in webhooks notifier was really limited, I decided to write my own in python instead, so tautulli could just run a script.

The killer feature tautulli couldn't provide is that it fills out randomly selected madlibs to go with every announcement instead of constantly repeating the same bland announcement.

code:
Greetings, my {adjective} humans!

Today I bring you a special gift, {superlative}.

You'll {verb}, you'll {verb}, you'll {verb} your {nouns} with glee!

Presenting: {title}!
Becomes:

That's pretty great. One suggestion might be to stop it from reusing the same verb though!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Woebin posted:

That's pretty great. One suggestion might be to stop it from reusing the same verb though!

Yeah, that's a combination of working with a dictionary of only like 20 words while I was testing it (so duplicates were extremely likely) and the fact that it's just a dumb loop that replaces anything that matches the regex with a random selection until it runs out of matches. I have plans to improve it though!

E: another thing I need to do, now that I downloaded a "list of verbs" etc, is prune verbs from that list that don't make sense in the places where I'm using substitutions, otherwise you get this nonsense.

corgski fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 28, 2020

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

This is extremely clunky right now but check out my favorite twitch stream

(edit: if this doesn't show tomorrow it's because my app softlocked, rip)

(edit 2: killing this because my vps just used 451GB of its 500GB bandwidth quota, apparently in 3 days. it was an infinite mjpeg transcoded live from twitch.)

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 1, 2023

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Vanadium posted:

This is extremely clunky right now but check out my favorite twitch stream

(edit: if this doesn't show tomorrow it's because my app softlocked, rip)

Firefox is reporting this as JPEG. Is it actually a JPEG? I know that you can do streaming shenanigans with GIFs but JPEG is new to me.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

It's "mjpeg", that's how webcams etc used to work. It's really just a whole lot of jpegs, one per frame, served as some kind of multipart http response that I had never heard of until like two days ago. The first version was using gifs but that looked worse, and also I want to do a thing where multiple clients can watch the same stream without me fetching+decoding it multiple times (or i guess without having ffmpeg do that, it's doing all the heavy lifting), so I was trying to tease apart the individual frames of the ffmpeg-generated really long gif and that got really fiddly.

The goal was to annoy people at work by posting streams in our stupid work chat that allows hotlinking images for some reason, I'm mostly using hungry in the URL here because it's conveniently always-online.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 28, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
that is awesome, i want to post it everywhere

amazing trick

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Heh, right now it's running on a tiny VPS and I think it's already running out of memory right now, I'm gonna need to scale that up before posting it more widely I guess.
Edit: I did he obvious optimization and it may be a bit more robust now, may set up a bigger vps tomorrow if it still does badly.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 28, 2020

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

corgski posted:

Yeah, that's a combination of working with a dictionary of only like 20 words while I was testing it (so duplicates were extremely likely) and the fact that it's just a dumb loop that replaces anything that matches the regex with a random selection until it runs out of matches. I have plans to improve it though!

E: another thing I need to do, now that I downloaded a "list of verbs" etc, is prune verbs from that list that don't make sense in the places where I'm using substitutions, otherwise you get this nonsense.

Looks like you want intransitive verbs for the first two and transitive verbs for the last one.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Slightly different projects,

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm making a game where you play a drunkard robot trying to steal booze. It was original;y "Goon Dalek" , just something to pass around friends where you are a Dalek trying to steal Dr Who's Goon Bag (Goon is Australian slang for cask wine). But everyone seems so excited by it that I figured theres a possibility of it being bigger than something for my friends to play, and well don't wanna get sued by the BBC. So now its "GoonBot 3000".

The bird like heads a reference to "Drinky Crow" from the Maakies

duck monster fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 5, 2020

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I had a really stupid idea, I decided I was going to make an arcade-style sidescrolling space shooter similar to Galaxian, but using ncurses.

All I've done so far is a parallax star effect, a ship you can poorly move, and a pause menu.

https://i.imgur.com/OVvuob2.gifv

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I forked the "will-o-the-wisps" factorio mod to change a bunch of behavior so it would mesh better with the other mods I'm using on my server and somehow now I'm refactoring the entire thing and haven't even gotten to adding the features I want yet. :negative:

On the plus side now I can add new console commands without hating myself.

E: spot the error

corgski fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 24, 2020

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Missing comma after create?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Yup.

I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of long if...elseif chains and generally streamline how it's working so it's not doing things like first creating entities and then checking if it should have done that and this is only my second time doing anything in lua.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Unlike JSON, Lua permits a trailing comma after the last element in a table def, so you should just always put a trailing comma.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Oh poo poo, good to know.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Way too much effort,

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

MrMoo posted:

Way too much effort,

I really appreciate how you seem to be increasingly responsible for all scoreboards in NY.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/DrHendersa/status/1304272213160460290
I released the source for this (as well as a pre-compiled ROM), which you can get from here: https://github.com/hendersa/BeagleSatellaviewTestRom

This won't be useful to you unless you happen to have a Satellaview, Super Famicom, and flash cartridge sitting around. But hey... you never know! Someone might be interested in looking at the makefile and some working code that runs native on real SNES hardware. :mario:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

hendersa posted:

https://twitter.com/DrHendersa/status/1304272213160460290
I released the source for this (as well as a pre-compiled ROM), which you can get from here: https://github.com/hendersa/BeagleSatellaviewTestRom

This won't be useful to you unless you happen to have a Satellaview, Super Famicom, and flash cartridge sitting around. But hey... you never know! Someone might be interested in looking at the makefile and some working code that runs native on real SNES hardware. :mario:

This is sweet.

How long have you been working on and posting Beagle stuff here? Feels like I first read about your Beagle adventures forever ago.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

This is sweet.

How long have you been working on and posting Beagle stuff here? Feels like I first read about your Beagle adventures forever ago.
I didn't really know how long I have been posting my projects here, so I took a look back through the thread to find out. It has been, no joke, over 7.5 years since I first posted in this thread about a BeagleBoard project of mine.

:drat:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A while back I stumbled on some goofy github project for a raycaster that renders in the console. I couldn't help myself and made an editor for it. I set it aside for a while then got The Urge again tonight (which may or may not be related to living within walking distance of a liquor store) and now I'm hooking it up to a roguelikeish dungeon generator I wrote at some other point in the past.

Chances of this turning into something playable are slim to none but I'm enjoying myself.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I really appreciate how you seem to be increasingly responsible for all scoreboards in NY.

Thanks, still waiting to start with the NBA, they delayed and the design house probably wants to scale up their work to include their NYC store which is a bit lame now.

The MLB store is starting to look pretty nice,

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

MrMoo posted:

Way too much effort,

Traveling back in time to add a run in the second inning doesn't strike me as something that should have been easy in the first place.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I've been working on this thing from a couple months ago when the Switch shortage was in full swing and I suddenly wanted to be able to play old video games while lying down. I bought a Raspberry Pi and now I'm trying to turn it into a portable gaming device:

It started with just a tiny 1.8" LCD screen:

Then I moved on to speakers:

Here I'm putting in a simple LM386 amp circuit I found on the internet.

The screen and speakers working. This was before I dropped in an I2S stereo decoder.

Here's a short video with the sound. The stereo decoder (I was using PWM output directly from the raspberry pi before) is leagues ahead in clarity and volume. It's hard to hear in this video though..

And last week I made a controller using an arduino pro micro and some crappy push switches. It connects to the raspberry pi through USB.

https://imgur.com/P1eOwXz
Here's the whole thing in action so far. Needs better buttons, thumbsticks, and a battery. After that it's time to put it on a single PCB. And then after that I'll need to get myself a 3d printer I guess.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
This is kind of a trifle, but Voronoi tessellation chat in the gamedev thread made me dust off an old shadertoy last night and spend an hour to see if I could get Voronoi tile borders working in a stateless shader by just naively looking relative center distances.

It doesn't work well at all for any sort of consistent width borders, but it looks pretty cool:

(click for live shader)

I should be able to do correct borders by using the distance gradients. Or by processing a generated texture, but clearly that's cheating.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

With the Windows port done, the mobile port is under way. :catstare:

Still struggling with a good touchscreen control setup though. Biggest problem is the rubber band and battery inputs are bad if you need to input movement on the same side of the screen, but using screen edge touch for movement feels way better than anything else I've tried. Sigh.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I've been working on this thing from a couple months ago when the Switch shortage was in full swing and I suddenly wanted to be able to play old video games while lying down. I bought a Raspberry Pi and now I'm trying to turn it into a portable gaming device:

And last week I made a controller using an arduino pro micro and some crappy push switches. It connects to the raspberry pi through USB.

Very nice! But can't you just use the Raspberry Pis GPIO ports and skip the Arduino? Or is it easier if the input all comes in the USB port?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Yeah it probably would be easier. I tried going to modular and "semantic" route because if I went directly into the GPIO I'd have to use a driver to bind the buttons to keystrokes. I figured that it would be simpler at the user end if I could just get my buttons recognized as one gamepad. That's turning out to be not entirely true, so basically I'm just using this as an excuse to over engineer everything :shobon:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've been working on a computer game for what feels like a year. I've gotten myself trapped learning how to make and animate a character model to any degree of comprehensibility. I've been stuck at this stage for a little while, and I have this just sitting on the back burner waiting for me to work on it again.

It's got a whole building system with blueprints, character ai, stuff like that.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Cory Parsnipson posted:

[...]basically I'm just using this as an excuse to over engineer everything :shobon:

I'll allow it!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Go home Benoît, you're drunk.

It took me a week of on-and-off evening hobby coding to from a basic vulkan sample to something I can work with. I've started this project -- it's supposed to end up as a nice, flexible SDF ray marcher -- twice before and fizzled out just because I couldn't be arsed to go from "I have fiddled with the fragment shader in this sample app and made a bad shadertoy" to "I have compute and graphics pipelines that I understand and control".

My test compute pipeline may have some issues with the subsample offsets.

The process thus far has involved writing a lot of exciting wrapper code like
C++ code:
VkFence Device::createFence(const VkFenceCreateInfo& info) {
  VkFence fence;
  HM_CHECKVK(vkCreateFence(m_device, &info, m_allocator, &fence));
  return fence;
}
just so I can get a fence handle by writing auto fence = device.createFence(info) elsewhere. Apparently I find that very necessary.

E: I can accumulate arbitrarily many* subsamples now, so at least the renders can look quite good:

* Okay, it'll hit precision issues after a few million.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 31, 2020

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Working on a thing to visualize football games. He's the first quarter of the week 9 Carolina/Kansas City game

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
that's a really cool idea! i like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
My very lovely markdown renderer has failed me tonight:

These loving tables.