Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Electric Wrigglies posted:

There was a post a few pages ago bemoaning that Australia is lucky/successful despite being a strong "she'll be right" culture. After spending 10 years overseas, I honestly think it is harder to find a country that is more opposite of it than Australia. The best example I can think of is sitting in a car with an Aussie driver overseas - it is a constant stream of the Aussie driver obviously frustrated with the queue jumpers, the speeders, the overloaded cars or bikes, in-proper parking, or many other things that more relaxed cultures don't worry about. People just let in the taxi/SUV that wants to drive up past 25 cars in a line and cut in, keep out of the road of guys in a hurry, not worry about the lady with seven kids on the back seat etc.

Into The Mild posted:

I've been in Norway for over a decade now, and honestly you just described this country.. Like the craziest poo poo could happen here and the locals will just shrug it off, and tell me it will work itself out... Us aussies seem to think we're super laid back, but if someone cuts a line or takes their kid outside of the covid bubble, then OH MY GOD loving HELL

Also Aussie drivers are just the loving worst at road rage.

bell jar posted:

Can't find the tweet 'cos the guy's account's locked, but the most real tweet about Australia mindset went something like

"I'm an Australian, this means in my head there is a list of rules that are fine for me to break, and a list of rules that other people should be ultramurdered for breaking. There is some overlap in the two lists."

This is all correct, and simply demonstrates that Australia is still a deeply English nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Recoome posted:

Have you heard about this thing called Coronavirus? It's pretty bad!!

A curfew didn't stop anyone getting COVID. Hope that helps.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

This seems almost impossible to prove

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Breakfast Burrito posted:

This seems almost impossible to prove

None of the measures taken actually helped, the number of cases just magically went down on its own

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

None of the measures taken actually helped, the number of cases just magically went down on its own

The curfew was not based on medical advice. It was designed to make it easier for police. This was confirmed by the premier.

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs

CelestialScribe posted:

Amazing to see thoughts from someone who never developed object permanence as an infant.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

The curfew was not based on medical advice. It was designed to make it easier for police. This was confirmed by the premier.

Make it easier for police to do what?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I just want to check.

CelestialScribe, are you for real? I just wanna know if I should treat you as a for real person or someone who enjoys taking these leftist goons for a ride.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
New Zealand is the country Australia imagines itself to be.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

As a side note it's really fuckin weird that this thread which advocates abolishing the police is in favour of so many of these measures that exist purely to make policing easier.

As a side note, noone is advocating for this. Defunding the police is not abolishing the police. I am completely unsuprised you are unable to grasp this nuance, and have fallen for the right wing bullshit about the movement.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

As a side note, noone is advocating for this. Defunding the police is not abolishing the police. I am completely unsuprised you are unable to grasp this nuance, and have fallen for the right wing bullshit about the movement.

Nice dodge, but the phrase "abolish the police" was in fact used by groups attending BLM protests in Melbourne, whether or not they actually meant "abolish" or "defund" is a different story. Also, like, five seconds of Googling tells me you're fuckin wrong: https://arena.org.au/abolishing-the-police-is-the-first-step-to-a-new-society/

My point is that protests which targeted over-policing in some form or another, were then more than happy to turn around and accept a curfew that was not based on any health advice, but designed to make police jobs easier.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

the phrase "abolish the police" was in fact used by groups attending BLM protests in Melbourne

CelestialScribe posted:

this thread which advocates abolishing the police

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Really proud of all you Victorians. Outside the SkyNews/Newscorp/Coalition contaminated folk I know there are a lot of us around Australia really grateful for what you've done to bring those numbers down. If not for the last couple of months not only would you be swamped, but it's likely other states would have seen outbreaks as well.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Really proud of all you Victorians. Outside the SkyNews/Newscorp/Coalition contaminated folk I know there are a lot of us around Australia really grateful for what you've done to bring those numbers down. If not for the last couple of months not only would you be swamped, but it's likely other states would have seen outbreaks as well.

dunno about anyone else but as a VIC this attitude is really annoying. no one needs your thanks.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

CelestialScribe posted:

dunno about anyone else but as a VIC this attitude is really annoying. no one needs your thanks.

Yeah I bet more people in Victoria wishes there was more Coronavirus

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Did I say thanks?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Did I say thanks?

Sorry. Well wishes. Whatever you want to call it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Most Ignored Users

Users ranked by number of people that ignore them.

66 Lugnut Seatcushion 393
67 CelestialScribe 391
68 Deceitful Penguin 390
69 Hardcore Sax 381

https://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Interesting time for the smallpox episode of ER to be rerun on TV I guess

CelestialScribe posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Poor image quality grabbed from a news story but... why?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sydney-university-temporarily-removes-hong-kong-police-job-ad-20201013-p564ko.html

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Senor Tron posted:

Cheers! I'm sure as hell looking forward to deleting some beers at some pubs in other states over the summer when borders loosen up.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CelestialScribe posted:

No way man don't be humble 100% you boys did everyone proud enduring such a miserable period of time with no hard guarantee it was going to end anytime soon, but you did it and you should all be really satisfied with what you achieved when so many people were telling you that you were fools for doing it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

My point is that protests which targeted over-policing in some form or another, were then more than happy to turn around and accept a curfew that was not based on any health advice, but designed to make police jobs easier.

Again: make police's jobs easier to do what? What has been one of the primary functions of police during Victoria's lockdown? Come on now, follow your thoughts through.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm glad this thread exists as a place for a singularly oppressed suburban cretin to finally feel like someone is listening.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

Again: make police's jobs easier to do what? What has been one of the primary functions of police during Victoria's lockdown? Come on now, follow your thoughts through.

Make the point you want to make.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

JBP posted:

I'm glad this thread exists as a place for a singularly oppressed suburban cretin to finally feel like someone is listening.

The makings of a fine thread title.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
CelestialScribe I command you to stop posting so this thread can actually talk about other topics besides yourself.

Take a break. Yeah?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

CelestialScribe I command you to stop posting so this thread can actually talk about other topics besides yourself.

Take a break. Yeah?

King Canute over here commanding the tide of shitposts to stop

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

realbez posted:

Shut the gently caress up. Log off please.
no u

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

Make the point you want to make.

You are saying curfew only existed to make police's jobs easier, as though that is entirely unrelated to the enforcement of public health ordinances during a pandemic.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

bell jar posted:

King Canute over here commanding the tide of shitposts to stop

Does that make CelestialScribe God in this analogy? Because that's worrying but would also explain a lot.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
How good is Grant Hehir?

https://www.anao.gov.au/

He seems determined to succeed where all else have failed and actually hand this incompetent clown car government its arse. Completely by the rules. Can I get three cheers?

(also CS is a rank amateur at getting ignored compared to say Amethyst at #7 and 1149 ignorers).

GAM had been in prison for 32 years at the time of his death from a heart attack in November 2012. The coroner said there were failings with his healthcare. The prison was not equipped with some of the drugs he needed and as a result he missed out on treatment and was given old medication. GAM was also not listed for medical observations, despite his condition. GAM was revered by the other Indigenous prisoners, and would talk to them about putting their lives back on track. His family sought assistance from Queensland Corrective Services to help with funeral costs to bury him in his homeland, but the request was refused.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

In non COVID, non CelestialScribe being an arsehole news regarding Australian political figures:
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/clive-palmer-bad-for-my-image-twisted-sister-frontman-tells-court-20201020-p566qo.html

Clive Palmer vs Twisted Sister has finally made it to court. And it looks like Clive was intentionally violating copyright, (he asked for the license to use the song, baulked at the price, claimed "fair use, parody" got told to gently caress off, but realised they couldnt get the ads off the air in time, so continued to use the song."

So it looks like he will lose, but in true Palmer fashion won't pay a cent coz he is a fat fuckhead.

Also unrelated to this court case. But Dee Snyder is apparently a Trump supporter, so gently caress him as well.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
My favourite campaign song use is that Trump CONSTANTLY uses Memories from Cats

I looked up to see if Weber was down and he is not, he's sent a bunch of cease and desists but Trump won't stop, he loves Memories

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 20, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We need a shitposting lockdown.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

can't believe Dandrews would do this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

i will break this curfew

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

dictator dav

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So the body count at my university is huge, all the schools in the administrative group I am in are being amalgamated, something 400+ jobs are still to be lost, with people only finding out within the next few weeks, we lost a whole subsection of the school, academics and postgrads punching out, it's all extremely wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Les Affaires posted:

I live in WA and would be fine with the border being closed for another year.

same

the amount of Vic ex-pats I have on my socials going "oh this is so bad I'd even consider moving back to *Perth* if I could" in one breath and then demanding that we give a poo poo about their feelings in the next is hilarious

if it were any other state they'd still be smug shitlords about where they live and going "well this could never happen in Victoria, where the streets are paved with gold and it rains craft beers and farts smell like candy!"

(I say this as the absolute worst kind of West Australian, one who did live in Melbourne for a couple of years)

e: stolen from the discord because lmao https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/jdtm6g/dan_andrews_press_conferences_are_going_off_in/