Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

The Moon Monster posted:

This whole project gives a very "tons of enthusiasm and no idea what they're doing" vibe.

These are easily my favorite kickstarters to follow and I have a bunch bookmarked that have insane amounts of ongoing drama because, for example, someone with some 3D design skills thought he could start a game company and spin-casting operation from scratch on $12k. The amounts of sick relatives he's had in the last year has been worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

These are easily my favorite kickstarters to follow and I have a bunch bookmarked that have insane amounts of ongoing drama because, for example, someone with some 3D design skills thought he could start a game company and spin-casting operation from scratch on $12k. The amounts of sick relatives he's had in the last year has been worrying.

A master spin mould is £50, a production moulds is £70. If you're not expecting massive volumes you can have 10 different 28mm figures in production moulds for under £200 sans design fees.

Don't start up your own spin operation, subcontract it to the professionals who will do a far better job since spincasting (any casting really) is an art. Metal casting is really, really cheap. There's virtually no material wastage and your biggest cost is going to be the machines and warehouse space.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Bucnasti posted:

Why do all these prototypes look like they’ve been lightly salted?
They didn't clean the tank when something failed and grenaded the resin. All that debris is just floating around and collecting on the next prints.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Z the IVth posted:

A master spin mould is £50, a production moulds is £70. If you're not expecting massive volumes you can have 10 different 28mm figures in production moulds for under £200 sans design fees.

Don't start up your own spin operation, subcontract it to the professionals who will do a far better job since spincasting (any casting really) is an art. Metal casting is really, really cheap. There's virtually no material wastage and your biggest cost is going to be the machines and warehouse space.

It's amazing how many people don't realize that 90% of casting is getting a model that can be cast to the forge. The person I am talking about had a full line of chaos dwarfs for 10mm and 28mm all designed up and decided to do everything and just whiffed it. He's doing it but just barely. Conversely, Black Gate Miniatures, Cromarty Forge and several others on there have done it the smart way you described and had amazing turn around times.The various losses of startup miniature companies is, apparently, eventually Scotia Grendel's gain.

For my contribution to the thread, a spooky Legion of the Damned from 1996 done like the one from the second ed box set book.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

The super thin swords are probably going to be transparent if this is resin cast.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You probably need gunpla mixed plastics tech.

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Why do all these prototypes look like they’ve been lightly salted?

Those are definitely supports that haven't been properly clipped/filed down. You can see it pretty clearly on this guy where they didn't even bother to remove all of them:

I have a feeling they're probably using a some slicing program's autosupport feature (my guess is Chitubox) and firing the file off to the printer without double checking where the program has decided to actually place the supports, hence the segments that are clearly intersecting parts of the model in ways that will cause damage to the final project. This is fine if you're just trying to bootleg some space marines in your garage, but bodes pretty poorly if it's a prototype for your soon to be launched Kickstarter board game.

Edit: pretty sure the bit under the lion's head on his belt buckle is meant to come down like a circular door knocker, but got pancaked due to not having any support for several layers. This is something that autosupport misses all the time but would be really easy for a human being to spot.

forkis fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 19, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ugleb posted:

The super thin swords are probably going to be transparent if this is resin cast.

Oh boy I can't wait to own a model that will literally explode into dust if someone so much as talks loudly around it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I've been printing stuff like that on a resin printer. Fragile as hell sometimes but the details pretty reasonable for one of those things

If they're trying to flip this as a Kickstarter at scale though with shipped minis, good fuckin luck

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 19, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oh boy I can't wait to own a model that will literally explode into dust if someone so much as talks loudly around it.

Ah, a Malifaux fan.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

It's amazing how many people don't realize that 90% of casting is getting a model that can be cast to the forge. The person I am talking about had a full line of chaos dwarfs for 10mm and 28mm all designed up and decided to do everything and just whiffed it. He's doing it but just barely. Conversely, Black Gate Miniatures, Cromarty Forge and several others on there have done it the smart way you described and had amazing turn around times.The various losses of startup miniature companies is, apparently, eventually Scotia Grendel's gain.

I managed to get my own line of stuff produced while I was in Uni (to fund even more miniatures :getin:). It's really not difficult or expensive and I basically blundered into it. The UK miniatures scene is fantastic and I really owe it to all the guys that showed me the ropes back then.

Don't start your own spincasting service unless you plan on missing the sensation in your fingertips.

Edit - Also yeah, the spincasters do have a habit of buying up failed companies lines. 99% of the hard work is already done by that point so what's the loss?

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 19, 2020

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

"Argonauts Kickstarter toys" apparently. It has charm.

And probably doesn't explode to dust when looked at.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

"Argonauts Kickstarter toys" apparently. It has charm.

And probably doesn't explode to dust when looked at.

Is that from Crooked Dice? Fantastic company with great variety of minis.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

Z the IVth posted:

My impression is people who do their own miniatures kickstarters are rarely stellar at the business part of running a business.

I’ve two friends who’ve done their own miniatures. One spent tons of money on trying to get his own caster up and running before realizing he was taking money away from his own project.

The other took orders at a loss. He told me he’d make it up on volume.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Most of the guys I know in the garage-kit industry try to warn people off of starting a casting business. The vast majority lose money at it, but do it because they have a day job to support it, and love turning out unique kits. Only a few turn a profit, and only then because they sell of lot kits of well known characters that will sell well year after year. If you want to do completely original sculpts, forget it, you won't get enough buyers unless you win the proverbial lottery and hit on a property that gains a true fanbase.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

Is that from Crooked Dice? Fantastic company with great variety of minis.

Apparently so, part of 7tv which makes sense. Or it makes the nonsense make sense. If that makes sense?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

every other thread is talking about this but it truly belongs here

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cat Face Joe posted:

Flared base, LOL.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Most of the guys I know in the garage-kit industry try to warn people off of starting a casting business. The vast majority lose money at it, but do it because they have a day job to support it, and love turning out unique kits. Only a few turn a profit, and only then because they sell of lot kits of well known characters that will sell well year after year. If you want to do completely original sculpts, forget it, you won't get enough buyers unless you win the proverbial lottery and hit on a property that gains a true fanbase.

Or be like Griffin and ScotiaGrendel and become a contract caster. The other guys who do well are people like GZG and Brigade who have absolutely enormous catalogues rivalling GW in numbers of unique SKUs which they can spincast for pennies on demand.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Cat Face Joe posted:

Top heavier...

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Two Beans posted:

Top heavier...

Coming soon: the Citadel Painting Handle Balancing Attachment

Literally 2 steel washers and a single use tube of superglue, except the washers have an aquila printed on them

Msrp $27.99

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

I want one

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
...inside you?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Cat Face Joe posted:

But it's not April 1st?!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Should be a ball vice or something. Needs positioning off the vertical for better access and surface presentation.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I did resin terrain for a bunch of years, starting when I was in uni. I pretty much ran it at zero win-loss ratio. And that's valuing my work time at nothing.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Cat Face Joe posted:

Other than its looks, what is this doing 'better' than the one they released last year? Because I was not expecting them to redesign it less than a year after release. Editions of 40k last longer than that!

I considered buying a set (because I rarely paint one model at a time) but heard that they are made for GW bases and don't take other manufacturers sizes very well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Good Ol' GW charging $30 for something you can achieve with an old prescription bottle and some blue tack.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Iron Crowned posted:

Good Ol' GW charging $30 for something you can achieve with an old prescription bottle and some blue tack.

its even less useful than that apparently:

Ugleb posted:

Other than its looks, what is this doing 'better' than the one they released last year? Because I was not expecting them to redesign it less than a year after release. Editions of 40k last longer than that!

I considered buying a set (because I rarely paint one model at a time) but heard that they are made for GW bases and don't take other manufacturers sizes very well.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The cheapest way to fill out your NPC collection apparently. They may be right.

There are many more!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Eh. £15 for 8 orcs or 8 gnolls.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
You can get 20 mantic orcs for the same amount.....

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

They SAY it's halfling skeletons, but they are awfully scrunty.

Also I want them.

E:

Halfling Wraith Lord

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugleb posted:

There are many more!

I was GISing "mage knight miniatures" to see how these stacked up and found this thing, which owns pretty hard.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Ugleb posted:

There are many more!

I love this buttplug demon with bright red dildo and unpainted head

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I love this buttplug demon with bright red dildo and unpainted head

Dildo seller I'm going into battle and need your strongest dildos,

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Der Shovel posted:

They SAY it's halfling skeletons, but they are awfully scrunty.

Also I want them.

E:

Halfling Wraith Lord

Oz-themed undead munchkin army led by the wicked witch of the west lets goooo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Dildo seller I'm going into battle and need your strongest dildos,

The Oglaf RPG. Still too awkward for anyone to ever play.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

There are many more!

This is some astoundingly poor dreck. You could get failed kickstarter minis shipped from China for the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I think they just hosed up and 1:1'd the conversions into foreign currency, those same 8-packs are $14.99 US. Even that's still awful since the creator sells all 56 of their monster minis as a big pack for $40.