Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Luck Needed posted:

goons are probably right again

Oh yeah, you can totally see the metal temple thingie in the black and white photo posted above, so yeah it was a test photo for the Jack Crusher flashback. I was on my phone when I looked at it initially so I couldn't see it, but on a bigger screen it's clearly visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seemlar posted:

Jadzia was DS9's dedicated science officer and I for the life of me could not name a "Jadzia does science" episode

It's all Dax's past lives, Jadzia being a Klingonophile, or her (not interesting) romance with Worf which also falls under the former

I think she spends more time piloting the Defiant than being a science officer

She probably spends more (on screen) time commanding the Defiant than Worf, who is supposed to be the Defiant’s commander when Sisko (or, let’s be honest, Kira) isn’t around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

She probably spends more (on screen) time commanding the Defiant than Worf, who is supposed to be the Defiant’s commander when Sisko (or, let’s be honest, Kira) isn’t around.

Hang on are you sure about that? I thought Dax was above Worf in the chain.

And it's weird and complicated but they establish that Kira isn't in command of Defiant when Sisko's not around unless Sisko has actively made her his first officer on a given mission - there's a bit where Sisko and Dax are gone and Worf wants to take the Defiant out to look for them and Kira doesn't, and Worf points out that the ship is his, not hers.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MikeJF posted:

And it's weird and complicated but they establish that Kira isn't in command of Defiant when Sisko's not around unless Sisko has actively made her his first officer on a given mission - there's a bit where Sisko and Dax are gone and Worf wants to take the Defiant out to look for them and Kira doesn't, and Worf points out that the ship is his, not hers.

Just a guess, but while DS9 is a Bajoran station, the Defiant is a Federation ship, and Kira has no rank in Starfleet, That could be why.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oxyclean posted:

What do people not like about Move Along Home? It feels like it makes for a good weird episode, plus, Quark groveling is funny.

Apparently people think its stupid and inane and terrible. I'm with you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bilirubin posted:

It’s also one of the first episodes that establishes Quark actually has some depth and cares about his Starfleet buds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Epicurius posted:

Just a guess, but while DS9 is a Bajoran station, the Defiant is a Federation ship, and Kira has no rank in Starfleet, That could be why.

Yeah that's the reason, it can just be confusing because 99% of the time Sisko makes Kira his first officer on Defiant missions anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bilirubin posted:

It's incredibly stupid, whether or not you consider that a bad thing is up for debate.

The best part is for sure when they're like "of course they weren't in danger, it's just a game, dumbass".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MikeJF posted:

Worf is brought on specifically to command the Defiant.

Kira probably shouldn’t be allowed to command the Defiant since she’s an allied officer and doesn’t seem to have any starship command training. But in the event she does fine at it, as far as I can remember.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

There’s some episode that establishes Worf as the nominal commander of the Defiant and he gets command Red so presumably that puts him above science Blue. It’s not like he can take it out whenever he wants or anything but the idea is like in that Klingon lawyer episode where Sisko needs the Defiant to do a thing that doesn’t require his presence so Worf goes out.

Kira gets to be in charge because Worf isn’t saying no to her.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Mike and Rich from RLM are doing another TNG top 5 list thing and put part 1 up today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs13fJuP0F4

Episodes:
Booby Trap (Rich)
The Game (Mike)
First Contact (Rich)
Darmok (Mike)
The Next Phase (Rich)

Kind of a weird batch, aside from Darmok, to have in your top 10/5/whatever. Especially Rich's choices, all of which are fine but just kinda middling.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching that right now. I love how nuts the list is. The Game? The Game?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

it's more like a "top whatever episodes we want to talk about" than a real ranking.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Meh my top 5 includes both Frame of Mind and loving Masks so that seems like a solid list

Unmature
May 9, 2008

piratepilates posted:

it's more like a "top whatever episodes we want to talk about" than a real ranking.

The Game

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

HD DAD posted:

Meh my top 5 includes both Frame of Mind and loving Masks so that seems like a solid list

both of those episodes are great fun

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
RIker gets a ton of great TNG episodes

season 2 "matter of honor" is a highlight of that season

season 6 "schisms" is one of those great dark episodes of trek

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Mike and Rich from RLM are doing another TNG top 5 list thing and put part 1 up today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs13fJuP0F4

Episodes:
Booby Trap (Rich)
The Game (Mike)
First Contact (Rich)
Darmok (Mike)
The Next Phase (Rich)

Kind of a weird batch, aside from Darmok, to have in your top 10/5/whatever. Especially Rich's choices, all of which are fine but just kinda middling.

talk about ds9 you old fucks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SlothfulCobra posted:

I assume they didn't tell him because they didn't write it yet. It really seemed like a thing that they made up because they wanted to find something for him to do other than being a horny doctor.

Exactly so. Which would also seem to apply to the Bashir/Changeling thing as that meant the changeling performed major brain surgery.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Verviticus posted:

talk about ds9 you old fucks

DS9 scares the poo poo out of Mike :ssh:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So I've got to The Drumhead last night and given its reputation I was ... underwhelmed? The ending just kind of comes out of nowhere, Picard is barely even on the ropes before he gives a corny democracy speech and Sadie just falls to pieces immediately, really felt to me like it either should have been a two partner or Sadie should have switched into full bastard mode and turned on Picard much earlier in the script, as it is it just seems like the show ran out of time and had to give a tl;dr of its third act.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

multijoe posted:

So I've got to The Drumhead last night and given its reputation I was ... underwhelmed? The ending just kind of comes out of nowhere, Picard is barely even on the ropes before he gives a corny democracy speech and Sadie just falls to pieces immediately, really felt to me like it either should have been a two partner or Sadie should have switched into full bastard mode and turned on Picard much earlier in the script, as it is it just seems like the show ran out of time and had to give a tl;dr of its third act.

Ronald D. Moore probably took one look at that script and thought to himself "I can do better" and when he got the chance in BSG, he did just that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Ron Moore has the story credit on that one, with Jeri Taylor having the screenplay credit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ron Moore has the story credit on that one, with Jeri Taylor having the screenplay credit.

Did he? It didn't turn up when I did a quick search of the writing credits.

It doesn't surprise me though. I'd assumed Moore wrote the first one since BSG does the EXACT SAME story, just with cylons instead of romulans.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Verviticus posted:

i think dax is probably the weakest character of the ds9 group because she only develops a personality around s3 and all of the episodes around her are either an annoying romance or poorly executed episode about being a trill

Yeah and in a lot of the episodes dedicated to exploring her character, she doesn't even do anything. In "Dax" she's reluctant to say anything at the trial because she's hiding Kurzon's affair. And then in "Invasive Procedures" she's sidelined even more by being in a medically induced coma. Her character is always reduced to other people talking about her, or her talking about other people.

I've said this before, but I think such a complex idea for a character really only would've worked if she were the main character of the show and they could dive really deep into what makes her tick.

Seemlar posted:

Jadzia was DS9's dedicated science officer and I for the life of me could not name a "Jadzia does science" episode

Having watched season 1 recently, she did a lot of this, by which I mean reciting a lot of technobabble. It never felt natural on either the writing or acting end, so they thankfully stopped doing it.

Oxyclean posted:

What do people not like about Move Along Home? It feels like it makes for a good weird episode, plus, Quark groveling is funny.

It's much more fun to think about than to actually watch. It really lacks momentum and the characters aren't nearly developed enough yet to properly react to the weirdness.

multijoe posted:

Like a lot of TNG I think it is a little more dated than we usually like to admit. It's a solid episode with some great speeches, but if you're used to prestige TV where things don't always go back to normal at the end of the episode, it's a little anticlimactic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Seemlar posted:

It's all Dax's past lives, Jadzia being a Klingonophile, or her (not interesting) romance with Worf which also falls under the former

I think she spends more time piloting the Defiant than being a science officer

She also spends a lot of time doing traffic control for some reason. It's all 'Nausicaan freighter requesting permission to dock'. Girl, that's not your job!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DS9 makes no sense right down to its freaking name. You'd think that calling a station by a homeworld of formerly oppressed people "deep space something" would be a bit of an insult. Also deep space would mean like... interstellar space with nothing else around to name something after?

Then like... why does the command crew of the station also drive around the ship? By that logic Picard should also command a starbase for when he's not captaining the ship?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I always kept forgetting that DS9 was in orbit around the Bajoran sun. Which would also make the wormhole in orbit too? The physics really don’t make sense.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I believe in the pilot of the show the station is initially farther out from bajor, the sun, and the wormhole, thus being in deep space.

As a consequence of the plot of the pilot (i.e. the wormhole being discovered), they piloted the station closer to the warm hole/bajor.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

piratepilates posted:

I believe in the pilot of the show the station is initially farther out from bajor, the sun, and the wormhole, thus being in deep space.

As a consequence of the plot of the pilot (i.e. the wormhole being discovered), they piloted the station closer to the warm hole/bajor.

Other way around. The Cardies had the station in Bajor orbit. In the pilot they find the wormhole out in the Denorios Belt and move the station out there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skasion posted:

Other way around. The Cardies had the station in Bajor orbit. In the pilot they find the wormhole out in the Denorios Belt and move the station out there.
Yes it was this

It was originally in orbit so that the Cardassians could mine Bajor

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Didn't they only call it Derp Space 9 after they moved it to the wormhole?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Didn't Kira call someone (Bashir?) on the whole "deep space" thing in an early episode? As in, for the Bajorans it's anything but deep space.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Didn't they only call it Derp Space 9 after they moved it to the wormhole?

That was when the Pakleds briefly took it over.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Payndz posted:

Didn't Kira call someone (Bashir?) on the whole "deep space" thing in an early episode? As in, for the Bajorans it's anything but deep space.

Yeah, Bashir was all excitedly telling her about his chance to do 'frontier medicine'

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Payndz posted:

Kira calls out Bashir in an early episode for saying he requested this assignment because he wanted a job "the farthest reaches of the galaxy, one of the most remote outposts available. This is where the adventure is. This is where heroes are made. Right here - in the wilderness." and she took offense at that.

I think the idea is that Starfleet uses the "Deep Space" designation for starbases that are on or outside their borders, as opposed to "starbase", which is used to refer to bases inside the Federation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epicurius posted:

I think the idea is that Starfleet uses the "Deep Space" designation for starbases that are on or outside their borders, as opposed to "starbase", which is used to refer to bases inside the Federation.
Yes they are basically outposts or border stations a lot of the time

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah I probably wouldn't get mad at the huge diplomatic organization calling their outpost in my area "Way The gently caress Out There Point" but if someone working that outpust jerked off about their assignment to the hinterland, where all the hicks are constantly in turmoil, I'd be a bit miffed

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe Terok is Cardassian for Deep Space and Nor is Cardassian for 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I probably wouldn't get mad at the huge diplomatic organization calling their outpost in my area "Way The gently caress Out There Point" but if someone working that outpust jerked off about their assignment to the hinterland, where all the hicks are constantly in turmoil, I'd be a bit miffed

Just tell the bajoran populace they like being part of the hinterland and it's an important part of their identity, and they'll believe you and be fine with it.