Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Simone Magus posted:

True but it's still pretty dumb. At level 50 you're running into level 47 chumps and it's like, why even have a level system then

The real dumb thing is empowering of enemies 3 levels above you. As in it's not just it's hard to beat them because of their high stats; they get huge bonuses on top of that turning everyone into almost impossible challenges.

Witcher 3 did exactly the same thing and for some reason people didn't care. In Odyssey, like in Witcher 3, there's enough questing and exploring for you to never bump into level gating. But it really hurt me in Origins were sidequests were really main quests unless you want to go looking for caves you can clear out or something, cause we have 1 sidequest for your level and you have to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

literally just to gate areas until the story is ready for you to go there

Even then though I don't see how leveling is the right system for that. Earlier asscreeds put up literal walls that gated off areas until you reached the chapter that allowed you to go there (I didn't love this system, but it was still better than grinding up levels to get to the area that the story's asking you to go to)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

literally just to gate areas until the story is ready for you to go there

which they did in the earlier games with a cheesy magic animus wall in the middle of a city

personally i dont think levels are necessary but i like being able to explore the entire map from the get go. i'd rather be able to see an area and not fight the enemies than not be able to see it at all - though i think a better system would be to restrict more powerful enemies to relevant locations like big forts or the guards of some important personage instead of entire chunks of landscape

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Simone Magus posted:

It was much better when AC didn't have levels and the only way the enemies would kill you is through superior weapons or numbers rather than a dumb arbitrary system which means that random starving bandits are literally as strong as battle hardened warriors

Not just bandits but random citizens picking up swords off of dead bodies or hitting you with a broom. They should drop like flies just from the breeze off of Phobos much less getting hit in the street and instead you have to factor them in as combatants when killing people in public.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Eimi posted:

Finally watching this and the worst thing he points out is that usually everyone looks like clay. But sometimes the lighting works and people look okay. It's weird because it's a big step back from Odyssey, but I guess Odyssey being in the sunny mediterranean meant that everything was much brighter?
Characters in Odyssey looked terrible without a direct light source, like the sun or the moon. It's like none of the skin shaders worked with diffuse/ambient lighting so if the same is true in a game set in England, then oh boy.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

I said come in! posted:

Just realized last night that uPlay+ is getting Valhalla on November 17. 24 hours before Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't seem like the best decision? :thunk:
Is this confirmed somewhere? I'm not seeing anything using Google.

My plan had been to run through the game at launch using uPlay+ and then buying it in a sale with the DLC sometime down the line. If it's being delayed for a week on uPlay+, I may have to rethink that plan.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jokymi posted:

Is this confirmed somewhere? I'm not seeing anything using Google.

My plan had been to run through the game at launch using uPlay+ and then buying it in a sale with the DLC sometime down the line. If it's being delayed for a week on uPlay+, I may have to rethink that plan.

:negative:

https://store.ubi.com/us/uplayplus

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Wasn't that the original release date before they moved it up? Maybe they just forgot to do the same for uplay plus.

Playing this through plus was also my plan, rip

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Two questions:

1. Does sneaking up and stabbing result in guaranteed kills again or is it all still level based?

2. Any sign the game is visiting Miklagard?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One funny thing about the level scaling in Odyssey was that early in the game you know that the greatest and most legendary mercenary killer in the universe is some level 50 behemoth.... then by the end of the game you're running into bored villagers in the middle of nowhere who are at like level 86 who could probably disintegrate that dude with a mean look.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That's an issue in literally every game that does level scaling though, as far as I can tell.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Arbite posted:

Two questions:

1. Does sneaking up and stabbing result in guaranteed kills again or is it all still level based?

Not quite. Tougher enemies give you some sort of quick time event. So in theory you can murder anyone but as I understood it would borderline impossible to kill some enemies unless you invest into assassination skills.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Not just bandits but random citizens picking up swords off of dead bodies or hitting you with a broom. They should drop like flies just from the breeze off of Phobos much less getting hit in the street and instead you have to factor them in as combatants when killing people in public.

Removing the players ability to pick up brooms and beat up mooks with it and instead giving it to NPC's is the greatest mistep of the AC franchise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never really had a problem with the enemies feeling too grindy in Odyssey. If you commit to a specialization and wear gear to support it then you'll quickly outpace enemy defenses, even with the level scaling. And regardless of spec you can always get Rush Assassinate, the most broken skill ever made.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hroizon Zero Dawn is what I'd put above AC and Witcher regarding open-world combat and progression. I won't argue that the skill-tree isn't boring or that crafting upgrades isn't a chore, but it handles the escalation in power far better.

An enemy's "level" is static and doesnt mean anything. You'll hunt down robot t-rexes not by you having a high Attack value, but by you stripping off it's weapons and armour. Then you stack as many status-effects as you can. Your arsenal doesn't get just vertically stronger, but wider with a choice of elements and added-effects. On level-up all you get is a health-boost and a skill-point. The system is a fine mix of intrinsic and extrinsic skill.

There weren't any robot dinosaurs in Saxon England, outside of that one incident in Suffolk, but I think having a wide variety of available tactics can compensate for a less fantasic roster of enemies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The cool thing about Horizon's machine combat is that your #1 tool is knowledge. You can bring down even the hardest machines with the starter weapons if you know the right strategy. Game developers seemed to have not figured this out with human enemies yet, because people are lousy fighters + predictable in general. Just attack you with sword, who cares.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

I never really had a problem with the enemies feeling too grindy in Odyssey. If you commit to a specialization and wear gear to support it then you'll quickly outpace enemy defenses, even with the level scaling. And regardless of spec you can always get Rush Assassinate, the most broken skill ever made.

Same for me. I quite like even the postgame incremental updates in Odyssey. Really I think it's a brilliant game. But I remember coming to Origins right after playing Black Flag I think and being infuriated by the worst beef gating ever, it felt like suddenly I'm playing hardcore German RPG where open world is actually a corridor where you figure out where you're supposed to go by going the wrong way and being one-shot. It also didn't really have specialization and I never felt like I'm sculpting my character. So I can totally see someone not into RPGs coming into those new AC games and being disgusted by the fact that franchise about connecting your knife and enemy throat is now about upgrading your sword to level 34 and adding fire damage and 10% higher power attack damage to it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
God of War is another good example of really satisfying progression against tougher enemies without any scaling involved (I think). Just lots of encounters where you go "well this is way too hard for me now, I'll come back later". And then it's super satisfying when you do.

I think scaling is less about gating the player from story elements and more about making sure the player has basically the same experience wherever they go. It's part of how ubisoft open worlds can be really huge but feel basically homogeneous. Wherever you go you are never more than a couple of minutes away from a group of beatable enemies / a friendly merchant / a blacksmith etc. because they are terrified the player will get frustrated or bored.

It reminds me of how in Origins if you were swimming for more than a few seconds they would spawn an NPC boat right on top of you like "please hijack this boat!! you need a boat! please don't get bored swimming!"

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Odyssey really does suffer from the issue of having a variety of factions and enemy types that actually don't significantly effact how a combat encounter goes. It'd be easier for the gameplay to stay fresh if fighting Athenians felt properly diffrent from fighting Spartans. Hopefully they really nail down the combat in Valhalla, especially if stealth is really becoming much less of a focus.

The core combat mechanics being good enough to remain interesting throughout the entirety of the game are probably more important than wether enemies scale to your level or not.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I will maintain that the Arkham games had this nailed. A thug is always a thug. But then you encounter thugs with baseball bats. And then shields. And then shock prods. And the huge guys. And finally guns. Every combat encounter requires a mixed approach using the tools and combos available and as the game progresses the complexity of combat encounters is constantly being increased.

In contrast I never really cared what the enemy was in Origins or Odyssey. Do they have a shield? Okay then a heavy attack or parry>counter. Otherwise just mash that light attack button till they're all dead.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Arkham games don't do big open worlds. There are no beefgates and you can explore anywhere you want. Modern AC try to give you an open world that unravels step by step without being too overwhelming and without giant computer walls in the middle of a historic location. The adrenalin rush of the possibility of fighting someone you're not yet supposed to fight is an added bonus.

Odyssey has some enemy variety, especially when we're talking about mercenaries. But Spartans and Athenians are very similar. Cultists and daughters of Artemis are very different but you don't see them often.

Also what you said about shields is compensated by a higher difficulty. There shielded enemies and archers become a problem. It's still a bad design, you shouldn't raise the difficulty to feel the difference between enemy types. But I'd recommend anyone who plays Odyssey to try it at least on Hard if they're interested in combat.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 20, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The response to the new Bat-family game was piss-poor when they showed its combat hews heavily to the loot-based number-heavy reboot-AC games rather than the skill-based Arkham games. What the gently caress would Bat-girl find in the field that she'd immediately start wearing? It shas a lot similarites to the Avengers game.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arbite posted:

Two questions:

ilitarist posted:

Not quite. Tougher enemies give you some sort of quick time event. So in theory you can murder anyone but as I understood it would borderline impossible to kill some enemies unless you invest into assassination skills.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. They've added a bunch of accessibility options to the game, including "Guaranteed Assassinate."

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/5Rys9UeXZh9bAjnHBZN4pC/assassins-creed-valhalla-bringing-accessibility-to-a-viking-epic

quote:

Guaranteed Assassinate

Regardless of the difficulty setting selected, this setting enables you to always assassinate higher-level enemies. When this feature is off some higher-level enemies will only be partially damaged by assassination attempts. (Motor, Cognitive, Vision)

That sounds like one hit kills, and not quick time events, to me. But I could be wrong.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not sure that's entirely true. They've added a bunch of accessibility options to the game, including "Guaranteed Assassinate."

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/5Rys9UeXZh9bAjnHBZN4pC/assassins-creed-valhalla-bringing-accessibility-to-a-viking-epic

That sounds like one hit kills, and not quick time events, to me. But I could be wrong.

Interesting! Thank you both very much. I'm glad that's back (in some form or another).

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm probably buying the game because of the accessibility options alone. I won't use them, but that a big name company thought of it and implemented it, I just kinda want to support that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXHoXi3bQ2o&t=1079s

(timestamp)

By default, you get a quick-time event. But yeah, it seems you can customize the game so that QTE always succeeds.

What's intriguing on this page is separate difficulty settings for combat, stealth and exploration.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 20, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oh great, a sphere grid. Doesn't Path of Exile have one, then hit you over the head for making a wrong build?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Maybe it's Final Fantasy X sphere grid, who knows!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ilitarist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXHoXi3bQ2o&t=1079s

(timestamp)

By default, you get a quick-time event. But yeah, it seems you can customize the game so that QTE always succeeds.

What's intriguing on this page is separate difficulty settings for combat, stealth and exploration.

Interesting, I hadn't seen this video. Thanks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Oh great, a sphere grid. Doesn't Path of Exile have one, then hit you over the head for making a wrong build?

I highly doubt you're gonna be able to gimp your build in an AssCreed game lol

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpPfpjFjj4

2 Expansions - Ireland and France
Discovery Mode's coming back
Bunch of free content updates that'll add the usual trappings

And here's the article!

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 20, 2020

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
So down for an Ireland expansion.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpPfpjFjj4

2 Expansions - Ireland and France
Discovery Mode's coming back
Bunch of free content updates that'll add the usual trappings

And here's the article!

This all looks awesome as hell.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilitarist posted:

Odyssey has some enemy variety, especially when we're talking about mercenaries. But Spartans and Athenians are very similar. Cultists and daughters of Artemis are very different but you don't see them often.

there's also a couple islands where you get mobbed by angry bobcats

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That season pass looks like the most interesting one in the series so far. I didn't like how ungrounded the second DLCs for Origins and Odyssey were.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

https://youtu.be/jHpPfpjFjj4?t=124

2:04 if the timestamp doesn't work.

Not even "inspired by", they just said gently caress it we're doing The Witcher. I'm all for it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it'll probably be a better version of beowulf than that ray winstone one

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sinteres posted:

That season pass looks like the most interesting one in the series so far. I didn't like how ungrounded the second DLCs for Origins and Odyssey were.

origins dlc was ok. i liked both for different reasons. odysseys was a mixed bag. hidden blade was a super big mess on a bunch of levels. the romance stuff obviously but thats a well beaten(deservadly so) horse. but also its just tonally all over the place and i am not sure when its supposed to really take place and the whole "retires from adventuring only for kid to be kidnaped and wife/husband to be killed off" was so boring it wasn't funny. i didnt finish the other DLC. i dislike the ISU poo poo and the "IS ANYTHING REAL?/MEMORIES WITHIN MEMORIES" poo poo so i stopped caring. odyssey is really really fun mechanically and combat wise but i kinda sucked quest/story wise. it had good/great moments but overall its scattershot. origins is the same but it clicks better over all.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Atlantis DLC for Odyssey was good in its own right but story-wise it was barely the same game. It was like someone's sci-fi short story that they had shoehorned in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

After the First Blade I am not buying any dlc sight unseen, but I do like the idea of going to Ireland.

Holding the Beowulf mission hostage is pretty poo poo though.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 21, 2020