Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Det_no posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrandAllianceEN/status/1308843605885440002

That's weird. I thought this game was based on historical events.

I was looking for that girl's arms for a solid minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I am very confused.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Rimusutera posted:

I am very confused.

tits

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The replies to that tweet sure are something :barf:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The OpenDev thing is over. They're taking on board a lot of player feedback, mostly UI stuff, but also

Many players have voiced concerns about the pacing and duration of combat. We’re working on a system in which you no longer need to wait for animations to finish before issuing the next order, drastically increasing the speed at which you can take your combat turns. We are also continuing to work on an Instant Resolution feature for players who want to "skip" a battle.

and

In our ongoing effort to balance the combat, we are examining the balance of ranged and melee units, considering a further division of unit classes to make unit roles more easily identifiable in battle through different icons, and refining unit abilities to better match the behavior many testers expected.

https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/blogs/742-opendev-feedback-and-plans

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I dunno what it was but like clicking around felt “mushy”?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cythereal posted:

British Empire... without naval bonuses? Da gently caress?

I was just thinking, Ship of the Line or Dreadnaught makes way more sense than Redcoats for their special unit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Assuming that Redcoats have some sort of bonus when fighting away from your home continent, I think it's a pretty decent choice for Victorian era Britain.

Sure, dreadnoughts were important in a developmental sense, but they were copied worldwide pretty quickly. And of course there was only one real dreadnought v dreadnought battle, which naturally ended in a draw :v:

I guess they've got something else lined up as a naval civ for the industrial era, since the British are listed as Expansionist.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

obv France is the land warfare power and Imperial Germany is the bote power

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Expansionist itself doesn't mean the British aren't naval.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Sacre Bleu!

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1310973050943397888

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Ugh the French should have artillery. They won with artillery and levee en masse christ. Bleeding heavy cavalry

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Napoleon heavily relied on and expanded heavy cavalry regiments. What.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Not as much as he relied on cannons and infantrymen. Cavalry were niche use in that time period. And heavy cavalry were decidedly old hat. Not to say they didn't have battlefield roles, but they are not what I think of when I think neapoleonic. It's not columns of 50000 men or grand batteries.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Cavalry were still a big deal in Napoleonic Warfare, but this is the emblematic unit for the French culture we're talking about, not what's emblematic of the warfare of the period in general terms. That's what the standard units are for.

Napoleon readopted and expanded on previously declining heavy cavalry regiments to a new military environment relying strategically on them in his campaigns, contrary to them being 'old hat' and cavalry charges were pivotal in countless battles. In turn even after Napoleon, France fielded heavy cavalry regiments. Its a fitting Emblematic Unit for the culture in question.

What would they get for an artillery unit even? They get a particular caliber of gun for some reason?

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 29, 2020

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Cheaper infantry to represent levee en masse? Superior artillery or cheaper artillery? The whole point of the revolution was the common man so cheaper and more of it is a better idea. You know revolutionary armies of citizens going to war against smaller professional armies with harsh discipline. You could make a cheap infantry unit with higher morale or whatever.

More heavy cavalry is boring. If it was light cavalry that would make more sense imo.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
We're talking France between 1700-1920, not just the French Revolution. For that matter Napoleon or French Kings before him weren't just throwing massed infantry into the meat grinder, they were presiding over one of the best managed, organized and trained armies in Europe consistently through several centuries.

Everything you listed is just part and parcel of the development of modern armies and warfare during the period, nothing distinctively French. The period of revolutionary fervor leading to massed French troops winning out and the meritocratic rise of new generals over turning an established Aristocracy and all that was a brief period that they've gone against focus'ing on in favour of a broader, Scientific progress orientation.

You're just listing "generic things, but cheaper" for their emblematic unit, and light cavalry makes no sense here because the thing that's distinctive here is heavy cavalry being prominent. This is over all way fresher and interesting than just focusing on Napoleon or the French Revolution being portrayed as Zerg Rushing.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 29, 2020

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

What would they get for an artillery unit even? They get a particular caliber of gun for some reason?

They don't call it the French 75 for nothing :v:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Guess I'm the one person doing the update on these things. Is it annoying/unnecessary or should I just keep going?

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1313509952577732608/photo/1

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Keep going for sure. I’m checking into the thread when there are posts, but I don’t follow their ad campaign otherwise.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah I get all my info about humankind from this thread so I'm always happy to see your posts.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Same. I'm interested but with the delays and it being so far off my feeling is more of a "ok, guess it's still slowly coming" feeling to it.

I still keep up to tabs though!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I'm gonna double back through the rest of the thread and see what leak details / additional confirmation stuff I can compile outside of the weekly culture reveals too if thats the case. I'm in the Amplitude community discord so I've got a regular stream of this info but its also often small stuff like VIPs hinting at abilities and other hints.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Cocaine factories seem like a odd unique building for Germany.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kassad posted:

meth was the cornerstone of the german army in the second world war

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rimusutera posted:

I'm gonna double back through the rest of the thread and see what leak details / additional confirmation stuff I can compile outside of the weekly culture reveals too if thats the case. I'm in the Amplitude community discord so I've got a regular stream of this info but its also often small stuff like VIPs hinting at abilities and other hints.

Do you know if it's been confirmed/hinted at that we might be getting an earth map (as in, the actual IRL earth) like in the civilization games? Sometimes I just want to play on our planet and see Sumerians in South America.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Kassad posted:

I mean, the timing and nation is almost spot on for it ;)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:tipshat: to those posting updates and info. I'd do so myself but have been horrifically busy as of late

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I ended up deciding I don't like this game so far, but I feel like it's for the best you keep giving updates for the fans.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
So after a quick glance all the big juicy details I can remember thus far have been posted in the thread. I've got a couple of the blurry, zoomed in studio office maps that people have used to predict/speculate cultures type stuff but I know thats not the most exciting and is pulled from the existing videos out, if I remember correctly. Can throw stuff like that onto imgur and post it tomorrow though if anyone else cares.

Other than that:

Deltasquid posted:

Do you know if it's been confirmed/hinted at that we might be getting an earth map (as in, the actual IRL earth) like in the civilization games? Sometimes I just want to play on our planet and see Sumerians in South America.

To my knowledge so far, not really. Ive heard they're planning about making the game more modding accessible though, compared to all their past games, so we can probably expect something like that to be whipped together pretty quickly by modders.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Double post cos I have VIP details on some actual culture abilities (their legacy trait, which sticks around in the later eras too) for a few of the Medieval and Early Modern and Industrial ones so far, which I'm gonna wager is more intriguing, dunno if these have been directly revealed here.

English: +3 Industry on Farm Quarters
Franks:+ +50% Population Growth when in Growth and Super Growth modes
Aztecs: -25% unit production costs.
Norse: +3 Naval strength, +2 naval movement
Teutons: get bonus combat strength against a faction following other religions. something like that

Dutch: +2 Gold per pop assigned to trader jobs
Joseon: +3 Science on exploited Coastal and Lake tiles

Germans: +3 Combat Strength on Artillery apparently.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Rimusutera posted:

Guess I'm the one person doing the update on these things. Is it annoying/unnecessary or should I just keep going?

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1313509952577732608/photo/1

It's useful. I'll admit that I've kind of phased out of caring about the game right now, but that's just because I think they've hosed up and front loaded their PR way too long before the game actually releases.

It's hard for me, anymore, to care about a game that literally isn't coming out for probably at least half a year, maybe more. And they've already been going pretty hard with the PR for months and months.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Italy!

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1316068712982732800/photo/1

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 14, 2020

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1318583440116207616

¡Viva la México!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Interesting choice. Can't wait to pick Mexico and kick the USA out of California.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the porfiriato is a cool choice that would probably never make it to a civ

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Deltasquid posted:

Interesting choice. Can't wait to pick Mexico and kick the Koreans out of Catalonia.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Can't wait to pick Mexico as Ming and fight off the Franco-Mughal interventions to seize the ancient Celto-Olmec heartland.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Franco-Prussian War, which is of course what we call that time the Franco-Prussians invaded us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Krazyface posted:

The Franco-Prussian War, which is of course what we call that time the Franco-Prussians invaded us

I know you're meme'ing but this reminds me that Berlin used to be a heavily French city, as a result of French Protestants migrating as refugees. Something like 30+% of the population at one point.

Like all the jokes aside this game reflects something that's really historically prevalent, a blending of cultural influences that are overlooked or not talked about or forgotten, and its what I'm excited about.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 20, 2020