Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

bike tory posted:

The Atlantis DLC for Odyssey was good in its own right but story-wise it was barely the same game. It was like someone's sci-fi short story that they had shoehorned in.

I quite liked it visually but gameplay-wise there were a lot of flashy but not very interesting abilities. And the story was all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It felt good to see what the level designers could do when they were let off the leash of 'everything must be one of three kinds of virtually identical camp'. Verticality came back, we got areas that you couldn't plausibly get in Ancient Greece or anywhere 'real'.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm about halfway through Black Flag and while I am having a grand time, gently caress eavesdropping missions and forced stealth forever. I do enjoy being a ninja pirate assassin murderman, but sometimes I just wanna plow through mobs of regular enemies... and the "stickiness" when parkouring is still as bad as I remembered, yeah sure I wanted to jump up and statically hang from a beam when I'm being chased by ten angry soldiers.

The old combat system though is still holding up very well for me (not a fan of action-heavy games, even though I enjoyed the combat in odyssey but I played that as a straight-up warrior with minimal stealth), it makes me feel powerful without being too frustrating

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

For me the problem with old combat system is that it's simple and easy. I think the intent is to not overcomplicate it and allow you to enjoy other parts of the game like stealth, exploration, feather gathering, ship combat, board games and estate economy.

However it lead to an issue that you can solve every problem with a fighting. See that fort? You can sneak around it for minutes trying to be clever or you can kill everyone inside in 20 seconds using guns, swords, berserk darts and so on. So to make you appretiate sneaking and fleeing they design missions with infuriating requirements like no alarms or even don't ever be spotted.

New AC games feature very few of missions like that. Odyssey has quests where being spotted results in a bad quest ending but it's never a game over screen IIRC. And while the combat is more complex you are interested in stealth and running away because you can't take on the whole enemy fort on your own even on normal difficulty. But of course it also means that combat is in the center of the game, even if you fully focus on stealth you're evading the most complex part of the game designers clearly want you to engage with.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 21, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TorakFade posted:

I'm about halfway through Black Flag and while I am having a grand time, gently caress eavesdropping missions and forced stealth forever. I do enjoy being a ninja pirate assassin murderman, but sometimes I just wanna plow through mobs of regular enemies... and the "stickiness" when parkouring is still as bad as I remembered, yeah sure I wanted to jump up and statically hang from a beam when I'm being chased by ten angry soldiers.

Yeah, I was doing the same, playing through Black Flag again, and honestly, I might not make it through, because there are way more eavesdropping missions than I remembered. Like, on an initial playthrough, fine, I powered through it. But on a replay, I'm not sure why I'm putting myself through this again. Every time another one comes up, I say to myself, "Did they think people enjoyed these missions?"

My good feelings on Black Flag are dropping considerably on this replay. I just wanna pirate, dammit! Let me pirate!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I picked up syndicate for 9 bucks because I never really got past the first act before and I forgot how drat good it is. It also made me remember that Shaun and rebecca are still alive and lol at the fact that ubisoft stopped using the only two likeable modern day characters

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I was doing the same, playing through Black Flag again, and honestly, I might not make it through, because there are way more eavesdropping missions than I remembered. Like, on an initial playthrough, fine, I powered through it. But on a replay, I'm not sure why I'm putting myself through this again. Every time another one comes up, I say to myself, "Did they think people enjoyed these missions?"

My good feelings on Black Flag are dropping considerably on this replay. I just wanna pirate, dammit! Let me pirate!

Wait until you have to eavesdrop with your boat.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Simone Magus posted:

I picked up syndicate for 9 bucks because I never really got past the first act before and I forgot how drat good it is.

The best thing about it was the music and architecture. So they made sure you don't see that in gameplay as with bat hook there's a little reason to see any part of a building that is not a roof. And original songs about the events of the game are sang inside of taverns but you only visit like one tavern in a Dickens sidequest so you probably won't ever hear those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkC0r3P9z_k

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The best thing was kicking goons off a train roof, though. Man that train was cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I was annoyed that all the cool train missions had to be done with lunkhead Jacob.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Only Jacob's labrador heart was big enough for the choo choo, Evie would be like uh, maybe it would be more practical to set up shop in uh something lame like uh a house brother.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I never bothered actually doing the Atlantis DLC I paid for, because I was so put off by the First Blade and didn't even want to slog through another fifteen minutes of jogging around caves to do the unlock mission. Oh well.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

One thing that's disappointing with AssCreed: Odyssey is that it doesn't seem to matter which faction you fight for. If you fight for the spartans for example people will still aggro if you stroll into a spartan camp or fort.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Kuiperdolin posted:

Only Jacob's labrador heart was big enough for the choo choo, Evie would be like uh, maybe it would be more practical to set up shop in uh something lame like uh a house brother.

I absolutely love the dynamic between Goofus Jacob and Ninja Evie. In the opening when your assassin bro hands you guns and says "You might be able to use these" and Jacob goes :haw: I should hope so

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

I absolutely love the dynamic between Goofus Jacob and Ninja Evie. In the opening when your assassin bro hands you guns and says "You might be able to use these" and Jacob goes :haw: I should hope so

I honestly thought the goofy male protagonist/sensible competent female protagonist was pretty stale. I'm glad that Kassandra actually gets to enjoy herself and have fun in Odyssey.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

exquisite tea posted:

Wait until you have to eavesdrop with your boat.
That's the least frustrating tailing mission in the game by far. I don't mean it's good, just that there's a lot less bullshit you need to keep track of. Instead of having to stay in the eavesdropping circle (:argh:) while dodging eight million rooftop snipers and getting stuck on every piece of geometry you come across, you basically just need to kinda keep up with the other ship and not spend too much time inside the red circles on the minimap.

The most ridiculous part of the ship tailing mission in the swamp is the full sync objective during the on-foot part, which asks you to kill and skin a crocodile while you're tailing the dude. Apparently, Edward was really good at multitasking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alhazred posted:

I honestly thought the goofy male protagonist/sensible competent female protagonist was pretty stale. I'm glad that Kassandra actually gets to enjoy herself and have fun in Odyssey.

it is a cliche and I am glad Kassandra got to be a big dumb jock lesbian disaster but Syndicate was saved for me by Jacob and Evie's VAs being real good. They both nailed 'I'm the dumb impulsive one who solves things by throwing them off trains' and 'I'm the one who actually does Assassin things while the himbo is excited to play with his gang friends' so it was fun to have them play off each other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

it is a cliche and I am glad Kassandra got to be a big dumb jock lesbian disaster but Syndicate was saved for me by Jacob and Evie's VAs being real good. They both nailed 'I'm the dumb impulsive one who solves things by throwing them off trains' and 'I'm the one who actually does Assassin things while the himbo is excited to play with his gang friends' so it was fun to have them play off each other.

i do like that the DLC shows that jacobs whole gang and ideas just backfired even worse than you can possibly imagine.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i do like that the DLC shows that jacobs whole gang and ideas just backfired even worse than you can possibly imagine.

Please explain!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Please explain!

Oh it's just that Jacob disappears and then it's a gang what do you expect so Evie has to clean up the map and the enemies populating the areas are your old gang.

The problem with Syndicate's story is that it's incredibly disjointed (some assassination targets appear for the first time in the mission where you kill them), and because you can switch between Jacob and Evie instantly and at any point they clearly found it really difficult to develop a narrative between the two because there's no 'canon' answer to what each of them are up to. The main plot beats are 'Jacob does an assassination and fucks things up, Evie quietly tidies up behind him'. They get angry at each other for unclear reasons and then reconcile for equally unclear reasons.

They also aren't on any sort of actual mission, they get on a train to London at the start of the game as a lark.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The impetus for the plot is:

"We should take on London because the Templars are there."
"Okay."

Then we quickly go through the motions as we re-introduce the mechanics since this the seventh sequel since AC2. Ned is a complete nobody who just walks on to the train you hijacked five minutes ago and asks you to assassinate some dudes.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 22, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I was irritated by the main plot weakness. You have an evil... capitalist, I guess? He's a Templar and he does evil things, like bribing or blackmailing politicians and controlling transportation. It's all extremely basic, it's a villain you put in a superhero origin story cause you don't have a screen time for a non-generic villain. But it's there in the AC game that happens very late in a timeline but barely has any connections to the greater story or to the historical setting it's in. You have historical characters like Dickens or Marx or freaking child Arthur Conan Doyle (not joking) but it's all superfluous Saturday Morning Cartoon encounters. It probably goes for a cynical feel of Guy Ritchie movie but for that, it's not wacky and intense enough.

The only time it comes close to talking about some historical reality of a setting beyond stereotypical orphans is when you talk to a Rajah trying to sue for his land rights back in India. I think it's expanded in DLC but I haven't played it.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Those dastardly Templars, trying to create a monopoly on bus companies again!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

I was irritated by the main plot weakness. You have an evil... capitalist, I guess? He's a Templar and he does evil things, like bribing or blackmailing politicians and controlling transportation. It's all extremely basic, it's a villain you put in a superhero origin story cause you don't have a screen time for a non-generic villain. But it's there in the AC game that happens very late in a timeline but barely has any connections to the greater story or to the historical setting it's in. You have historical characters like Dickens or Marx or freaking child Arthur Conan Doyle (not joking) but it's all superfluous Saturday Morning Cartoon encounters. It probably goes for a cynical feel of Guy Ritchie movie but for that, it's not wacky and intense enough.

The only time it comes close to talking about some historical reality of a setting beyond stereotypical orphans is when you talk to a Rajah trying to sue for his land rights back in India. I think it's expanded in DLC but I haven't played it.

yeah. but i weirdly didnt hate starrick as a villian. he is basically some peter theil/ koch brother type rear end in a top hat but in the gilded age. the issue is syndicate is all over the place with tone and the main story is weaker than odyssey. i guess my problem is the templar plans are boring. like with the ezio games. sure most of them are mustache twirly or openly dicks but you get that is ezio falling into various templar plots/political jobs and foiling them. same with origins and odyssey. the issue is syndicate never has any good connective tissue and such like those games do. its just foiling one random plot after another with no real fanfare.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

My issue is that it's the only AC game about a setting instead of a historical process. AC2 is not just about Italy, it's about Italian wars and Renaissance. You expect Black Flag to just be about pirates but it's about the end of pirate era and the erasure of blank spots on the map. You'd think Origins would just be about pyramids but it's about Egyptian culture being under Greek influence for a long time and witnessing Greeks themselves being replaced by Romans. Syndicate is like a victorian episode of Doctor Who. Starrick says some things about globalization but then the game just throws tropes at you.

As you've said, there's no connective tissue. Today we help Marx spread the Good Revolution, tomorrow we work for Queen Victoria to stop the Bad Revolution. I've already said about songs being good and it's because they are deeper than the game's own writing. They reference class struggle in a more mature way than evil capitalist proclaiming that wounded worker would have to take a non-paid leave.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilitarist posted:

My issue is that it's the only AC game about a setting instead of a historical process. AC2 is not just about Italy, it's about Italian wars and Renaissance. You expect Black Flag to just be about pirates but it's about the end of pirate era and the erasure of blank spots on the map. You'd think Origins would just be about pyramids but it's about Egyptian culture being under Greek influence for a long time and witnessing Greeks themselves being replaced by Romans.

Odyssey is about the historical process of every province and island of Greece eternally switching between Athenian and Spartan control every 20 minutes - cultures notably identical in every way but for their preferences for red vs. blue sails, shields, and togas

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've just started a first time playthrough of Unity. I'm still in hour 1 so not much to say about the gameplay but I like the fact that thus far this game cares about the fact that its trying to sell you a story, and I absolutely love revolutionary Paris.

Its the perfect AC environment as far as I'm concerned. Dense and urban, but pre industrial so you arent pushing out of the space where guys with swords can plausibly be running around. Give me a city to parkour around any day.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One thing I thought Syndicate did very well was make London feel like a dirty, grime-covered shithole. Just thousands of people covered in a smelly, solid layer of filth.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

One thing I thought Syndicate did very well was make London feel like a dirty, grime-covered shithole. Just thousands of people covered in a smelly, solid layer of filth.

Yeah I enjoyed that. The Thames looked absolutely horrible (in the sense that I am praising the game for its depiction of it as such)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Alchenar posted:

I've just started a first time playthrough of Unity. I'm still in hour 1 so not much to say about the gameplay but I like the fact that thus far this game cares about the fact that its trying to sell you a story, and I absolutely love revolutionary Paris.

Its the perfect AC environment as far as I'm concerned. Dense and urban, but pre industrial so you arent pushing out of the space where guys with swords can plausibly be running around. Give me a city to parkour around any day.
I think Paris is my favorite city in any AC game. As much as I enjoy Odyssey and Origins, I hope at least one of the next gen games in the series goes back to the big city model after they get tired of the current style of open world.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Alhazred posted:

One thing that's disappointing with AssCreed: Odyssey is that it doesn't seem to matter which faction you fight for. If you fight for the spartans for example people will still aggro if you stroll into a spartan camp or fort.

It's bonus Spartans to kill :q:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The impetus for the plot is:

"We should take on London because the Templars are there."
"Okay."

Then we quickly go through the motions as we re-introduce the mechanics since this the seventh sequel since AC2. Ned is a complete nobody who just walks on to the train you hijacked five minutes ago and asks you to assassinate some dudes.

Which is a shame, I thought Ned was cool :(

Edit:

exquisite tea posted:

Diving in the Thames should've caused an immediate desynchronization. Touch the water, contract a laundry list of diseases, die immediately

Beeb fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 22, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Earwicker posted:

Odyssey is about the historical process of every province and island of Greece eternally switching between Athenian and Spartan control every 20 minutes - cultures notably identical in every way but for their preferences for red vs. blue sails, shields, and togas

You jest, but it does talk about the chaos of war and ancient world globalization. There are no more city-states, you are with us or against us. And the world changes story-wise too, both powers change leadership through the game and you get glimpses of the future with Alcibiades and Athenian populism.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 23, 2020

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

I think Paris is my favorite city in any AC game. As much as I enjoy Odyssey and Origins, I hope at least one of the next gen games in the series goes back to the big city model after they get tired of the current style of open world.

Agreed, my favourite part of the AC games has always been the cities, and Paris is the best they've ever done, with the AC2 cities coming second. I never finished Unity however, tempted to go back and try it again but there's too much else to play.

I like the new open world iteration, but I feel like it might get old soon. I think Origins had a better world than Odyssey, having all the Greek Islands be there but shrunk down so much in scale gave the world a real theme park feel, whereas the vast desert in Origin felt more real.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ilitarist posted:

You jest, but it does talk about the chaos of war and ancient world globalization. There are no more city-states, you are with us or against us. And the world changes story-wise too, both powers change leadership through the game and you get glimpses of the future with Alcibiades and Athenian populism.
You also see how the war impact the population too. There's one quest where you have to protect a town where all the men has gone to war and soldiers from the last war (the war with the persians) try take advantage of it.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 23, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's also not exactly weird that Athens and Sparta are very similar to one another, they're cities that are 200 kilometers from one another overland. Even in the 5th century BC, that's not a huge distance.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

My issue is that it's the only AC game about a setting instead of a historical process. AC2 is not just about Italy, it's about Italian wars and Renaissance. You expect Black Flag to just be about pirates but it's about the end of pirate era and the erasure of blank spots on the map. You'd think Origins would just be about pyramids but it's about Egyptian culture being under Greek influence for a long time and witnessing Greeks themselves being replaced by Romans. Syndicate is like a victorian episode of Doctor Who. Starrick says some things about globalization but then the game just throws tropes at you.

As you've said, there's no connective tissue. Today we help Marx spread the Good Revolution, tomorrow we work for Queen Victoria to stop the Bad Revolution. I've already said about songs being good and it's because they are deeper than the game's own writing. They reference class struggle in a more mature way than evil capitalist proclaiming that wounded worker would have to take a non-paid leave.

exactly. all the AC games settings tie in with themes and stories and poo poo. though AC 3 and unity are sorta weak on that front, syndicate as much as a love the setting is the weakest.

also i will say that every AC main character outside 1 has a distinctives fighting style. ezio goes from upper class failson who can sorta brawl other rich failsons to some harderned warrior in his 50s. conner has a mix of technices from all over the place and is big on gurrila style while his dad and arno are more the "highly trained rich guy killing conscripts because he was trained for years by dueling masters" shay and edward are dirty figters who much like conner use hodgepodge tactics. jacob and evie are brawlers with evie being super Doom slayer with brutal utility type poo poo. bayek is the jedi shield knight dude. and kassandra is a loving hero unit from and RTS.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
You guys are forgetting that Syndicate has Female Aleister Crowley and she pretty much owns as a villain

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone check out that huge swath of Immortals Fenyx Rising previews that came out yesterday? I'm honestly more excited for that game than I am for Valhalla. It looks like it just oozes personality and has this weird Fable-like whimsy to it that I like.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Pc gamer has a preview up, basically says it's joining Genhsin Impact in the burgeoning genre of highly capable Breath of the Wild clones. Personally, the weapon aesthetics were just a bit much for me, but it does look promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
And also lol if you don't respect the plot of "we have a train, somehow, now what? Take over the whole city, I guess. Cheerio!"