Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Impressive that they have made a vaccine that makes you susceptible to being hit by buses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

A song about throwing Jews down wells: comedy gold from a beloved entertainer
He can kinda get away with that one in a way that he really can't with the rest though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like it might be at least like chris rock's n-word bit.

As in yes he might be making fun of it but it still just makes a lot of people repeat it "ironically" or not.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm reading the Countering Extremism report from July, and noticed that while it states that "During the COVID-19 pandemic we have seen an increased visibility of conspiracy theories ranging from anti-vaccine, anti-establishment to anti-minority and antisemitic. They are not specific to any one ideology, but are used by the Far Right, Far Left and Islamists to further their own ideological aims." I cannot find a single example of a stated Far Left conspiracy theory in the rest of the text. I can find stated examples of Far Right and Islamist conspiracy theories, and I can think of a ton of Far Left ones, from "the Tories deliberately hosed up the early Covid response so that their friends could short the markets" to "Covid is going to be used as an excuse to sell off the NHS and charge for healthcare."

I wonder why they weren't mentioned :thunk:

Also I found this funny

quote:

People’s beliefs about the causes of the pandemic are influencing their behaviour. Another analysis found that those who believed that COVID-19 was created in a lab were over twice as likely to have met up with friends during lockdown, and to believe ‘too much fuss is being made about coronavirus’.
Like, I can believe it, but surely if you believed it was a lab designed bioweapon you'd want a lot more fuss made about it and be a lot more worried about it than if you believed it was 'just the flu'.

e:

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like it might be at least like chris rock's n-word bit.

As in yes he might be making fun of it but it still just makes a lot of people repeat it "ironically" or not.
Maybe, but that's more of a "we should educate people about why Mel Brooks can do Jew jokes and rappers can do the n-word and you can't" thing than a "people shouldn't be self-referential unless they want Colin from Leeds repeating it word for word" thing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

He can kinda get away with that one in a way that he really can't with the rest though.

Even though he's Jewish, like all "ironic" comedy routines I think it comes down to merit vs harm. It's definitely on another level from "rappers saying the n-word", since he's actively encouraging people who aren't Jewish to join in.

The first Borat movie makes a valid point that through peer-pressure he's able to get a room full of people to sing an obviously antisemitic song. But is that point really clever or interesting enough that it warrants thousands and thousands of people singing that song, in schools, in public spaces, for months, with lets-charitably-say 'varying degrees' of irony? What kind of impact does that have on Jewish people?

It reminds me of a scaled-up version of Al Murray's pub landlord character. Once you realise a decent percentage of the audience isn't there for the irony, it immediately stops being funny.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe, but that's more of a "we should educate people about why Mel Brooks can do Jew jokes and rappers can do the n-word and you can't" thing than a "people shouldn't be self-referential unless they want Colin from Leeds repeating it word for word" thing.

Ideally, yes, but at the same time I think it is incumbent on performers to think about how they use their platform. Like I feel like the Chris Rock effect should be an understood phenomenon now and performers, if they are to have their platforms, should probably think about the effect their output is likely to have?

Like they probably aren't able to educate people are the importance of context but they are able to decide if they want to do a bit if they can expect it to have a detrimental effect.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1318982824825901057
Disappointed she's had to apologise, glad she's gone for the most stone-faced brief i'm-not-really-sorry apology possible.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The borat jew jokes aren't at the expense of Jews, the joke is that Arabs are all incestuous antisemites

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Imagine being a Labour voter that doesn't think that the Government should provide food to hungry children.

Their the ones who actually like starmer and his lot, they havee to exist to allow them to control the party.

It does seem that by and large the core of every party is to the right of their voters. Even with the Tory voters it's only a slim majority that want to starve the poor. (Still a majority though!)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The joke is also that much of America isn't much better, but I think that's the problem with the character, as many people will just see it as "foreign man weird" as will see it as shining a mirror on them.

e: Also Kazakhs aren't Arabs, but as to how many of the audience know that idk.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

jabby posted:

It reminds me of a scaled-up version of Al Murray's pub landlord character. Once you realise a decent percentage of the audience isn't there for the irony, it immediately stops being funny.

You can see this took Al Murray by surprise in his big mainstream breakthrough period and he hurriedly had to find ways to put those people in their place in the audience interaction sections. I think it's interesting the last big outing for the character was mocking Farages By-election run.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1318986757015298054
I do still like Angela.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It’s a huge shame there aren’t really any other comedians showing politicians and their ilk up in the same way. I’d love to see Nathan Fielder do something like that but it just isn’t him really, I don’t think.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
So is there a NEC UKMT approval list for the elections? I'm not sure I can be arsed to read that many statements to weed out the good.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Eararaldor posted:

So is there a NEC UKMT approval list for the elections? I'm not sure I can be arsed to read that many statements to weed out the good.

https://futureweneed.com/preference/

With Reg or Diana for treasurer

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I kinda feel sorry for Tory voters, they have to live with the knowledge that they voted for this shower of poo poo.

It's why they have to defend them, why they buy into thr culture war, they know they have hosed up and don't know how to backdown without losing face.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1318982824825901057
Disappointed she's had to apologise, glad she's gone for the most stone-faced brief i'm-not-really-sorry apology possible.

Should have gone with the "I'm sorry if you were offended" line just to poison that particular well for a little while.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007

notaspy posted:

https://futureweneed.com/preference/

With Reg or Diana for treasurer

It's put Laura Pidcock on my list. Isn't she one with bad views on trans rights or am I getting her mixed up with someone?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eararaldor posted:

It's put Laura Pidcock on my list. Isn't she one with bad views on trans rights or am I getting her mixed up with someone?

No we had the same conversation the other day, a number of people aren't happy about it but if the vote is split someone else might take the seat, up to you what outcome you think is preferable.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Eararaldor posted:

Pidcock has been decidedly lukewarm on trans rights, with language about "debate" etc.

Nobody would blame you for leaving her off, but it does come with the risk of letting someone else onto the NEC who is probably worse for trans rights and also a bunch of other stuff.

She was apparently a pretty controversial name to go on the Left slate, but she was eventually allowed on the basis of not splitting and having a repeat of the last time we lost the NEC.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

No we had the same conversation the other day, a number of people aren't happy about it but if the vote is split someone else might take the seat, up to you what outcome you think is preferable.

Fair enough, sorry for the repeat question.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

It’s a huge shame there aren’t really any other comedians showing politicians and their ilk up in the same way. I’d love to see Nathan Fielder do something like that but it just isn’t him really, I don’t think.

You can always just watch old Chris Morris stuff I spose.

Personally I think SBC at least targets the right people, I think his shtick is a lot more on the Brass Eye end of the spectrum than the "David Baddiel as Jason Lee" end. I'm not gonna mount an uncritical defence of him or anything, but in his recent TV show he seemed to be admirably focused on trying to destroy rightwingers lives, and his only race characterisation IIRC is playing an IDF weirdo so...

minema
May 31, 2011
My hospital now has more COVID patients than it did at the peak and with cases still rising in the region I don't think that'll change for the next few weeks

also apparently NHS staff get free Headspace plus now if anyone else wants to take advantage of it.

minema fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 21, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

That's not all though Angela, as Labour abstained on letting UK citizens live with their EU spouses and children. https://twitter.com/natalieben/status/1318932823424815105?s=20

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can always just watch old Chris Morris stuff I spose.

Personally I think SBC at least targets the right people, I think his shtick is a lot more on the Brass Eye end of the spectrum than the "David Baddiel as Jason Lee" end. I'm not gonna mount an uncritical defence of him or anything, but in his recent TV show he seemed to be admirably focused on trying to destroy rightwingers lives, and his only race characterisation IIRC is playing an IDF weirdo so...

Didn't he spend a significant amount of time actively loving with Kazakhstan as borat? I feel like that puts it firmly in the Jason lee category.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lungboy posted:

That's not all though Angela, as Labour abstained on letting UK citizens live with their EU spouses and children. https://twitter.com/natalieben/status/1318932823424815105?s=20

I want to say one word to you.

Just one word: Brexit.

e: It's even a boomer-vintage quote.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 21, 2020

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/MusedViews/status/1318956858942566402?s=19

can someone explain this to me, i don't really understand this currency asset lark

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

gh0stpinballa posted:

https://twitter.com/MusedViews/status/1318956858942566402?s=19

can someone explain this to me, i don't really understand this currency asset lark

If you have X in Euros or CHF (and probably even USD which rarely seem to tank) it's worth £P1 right now.

On 1st Jan, prediction is the £ will tank so your X in Euros/CHF will now be worth £P2 where P2 is a lot bigger than P1 so you can buy a lot more stuff priced in £ for the same amount of Euros/CHF OR spend less Euros/CHF buying £P1 worth of stuff.

Eg: using Egyptian money as that's what I'm very familiar with: Egyptian pound was extremely devalued against the USD in 2016 (and other conversion currencies are via a USD conversion).

In 2007, to buy something costing 10EGP you needed 92p sterling. Now, to buy something costing 10EGP you only need 50p sterling.

Alternatively, if you are Egyptian and paying to submit a visa application of £300 you needed 3255 EGP. Now you need 6000 EGP. (ignoring the fact that the application costs - non refundable if you don't get the visa which is about 99% of the time - have increased to about £500 I think.).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 21, 2020

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Guavanaut posted:

Imagine being a Conservative voter.

>Defund the NHS

You sure? This will kill your grandma.

> Defund the NHS

Your grandma is dead.

> Collect insurance

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

If someone was expecting a reasonably sized chunk of cash, say from being made redundant after fifteen years, would it be wise to convert it to euros? Or am I too poor to worry about such things?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
New Praxiscast is the funniest yet by a way "Elon Musk there calling everyone pedophiles and actually being correct" lmao

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanford posted:

If someone was expecting a reasonably sized chunk of cash, say from being made redundant after fifteen years, would it be wise to convert it to euros? Or am I too poor to worry about such things?

It's a risk and don't forget you have to pay commission and where will you keep it?
I've a pile of USD from when I left Egypt (was the only currency I could get when I left that wasn't EGP) that live in a box because I can't pay them in anywhere (and keep as USD) so somewhat defeating the object! (I even looked into those currency cards but you have to buy them in sterling and convert to USD t whatever lovely rate they are offering). Also, nowhere in my town is doing any foreign money at the moment.
Bank conversion rates are bloody terrible so you won't gain that way if you convert to euros. The buy and sell conversion rates difference is huge in the UK.
Why not 'play' with the numbers for a week or two and see what you would get and then back again putting in dummy conversion rates.

These figs are not what you would get but they're bank rates. But give you some figures to play with.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=5Y

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 21, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rincewinds posted:

>Defund the NHS

> Defund the NHS

Your grandma is dead.

> Collect insurance

A lot of people genuinely care more about their inheritance than their older relatives surviving winter. They just need to hope their kids and grandkids don't have the same attitude (they will).

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

>Defund the NHS

> Defund the NHS

Your grandma is dead.

> Collect insurance

Someone criticises you for defunding the NHS

> acccuse them of playing politics with your dead grandma

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you have X in Euros or CHF (and probably even USD which rarely seem to tank) it's worth £P1 right now.

On 1st Jan, prediction is the £ will tank so your X in Euros/CHF will now be worth £P2 where P2 is a lot bigger than P1 so you can buy a lot more stuff priced in £ for the same amount of Euros/CHF OR spend less Euros/CHF buying £P1 worth of stuff.

Eg: using Egyptian money as that's what I'm very familiar with: Egyptian pound was extremely devalued against the USD in 2016 (and other conversion currencies are via a USD conversion).

In 2007, to buy something costing 10EGP you needed 92p sterling. Now, to buy something costing 10EGP you only need 50p sterling.

Alternatively, if you are Egyptian and paying to submit a visa application of £300 you needed 3255 EGP. Now you need 6000 EGP. (ignoring the fact that the application costs - non refundable if you don't get the visa which is about 99% of the time - have increased to about £500 I think.).

thank you.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I like how the Tories have all decided to turn off replies as standard on Twitter now, and all its resulted in is thousands of people quoting them calling them scum instead. Which is undoubtedly seen by far more people than a reply would be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose the next step is crying MODS? at twitter to get any tweets speaking ill of them banned.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Sanford posted:

Any currency movements that were definitely going to happen are always already baked into the market by traders before the likes of us know about them. So trying to play the market for profit is a gamble, you might win or you might lose. If you're after security for your cash I don't think it's really that useful.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1319013143004303361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If you were extremely confident of long term decline in a currency compared to another but equally confident that the currency won't disappear, would have no need for that money in the short to medium term and could guarantee a reliable form of exchange at that future point then you could protect your purchasing power and potentially increase it comparatively.

That's a hard set of criteria to fulfill though.