Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Isn't he a white supremacist?

He's said stuff as an attempt at a gimmick that gives the impression he might be.

Jesus wep is right though, Dijak is quite talented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

ItohRespectArmy posted:

none of these come close to orlando jordans TNA gimmick when they found out he was bisexual.

I am reasonably certain most of the TNA stuff was Orlando's idea. He wanted to use his sexuality in WWE for an awful gimmick, and he was finally free to do so in TNA.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Isn't he a white supremacist?
Dont see how that makes him any less cut out for wrestling tbh

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shard posted:

Did you live through the Beaver Cleavage act or Eugene or Shelton Benjamins Mama or Muhammad Hassan

Eugene was good for exactly one segment. Shelton Benjamin's mama at least gave levity to a dude who was a charisma flatline and Muhammad Hassan's problem (at first) was that it had a nuance that neither WWE or its fans could deal with. So they went with terrorists. Which was bad. There was absolutely nothing redeemable about Beaver Cleavage except they gave up on it immediately.

For my contribution Spirit Squad was a dumb as gently caress gimmick that was heavily focused on in shows because DX needed people to clown on and only existed in the first place because somebody decided 'hey I bet cheerleading routines could make for great wrestling spots'. And they were kinda right TBH so it wasn't a total loss. But the bad outweighed the good by several orders of magnitude.

Retribution. A gimmick of outsiders will die on the vine if it's clear that they're not actually outsiders. Vince needs to control every loving thing so they could only do brand-approved chaos. It was already dead before the masks or the Twitter. The real secret to NWO's success (other than how mindblowing a Hogan heel turn was) is that they hosed up everybody and everything and nobody could stop them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If we're talking dumb gimmicks that were DOA then Chavo Guerrero pretending to be a rich white dude was going nowhere fast

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

Dijak is really good

He's a good wrestler, but he can also be incredibly awkward when he's not in there with the right opponents. When he is in there with people he clicks with he's great, but I also think he has diminishing returns with the same opponent instead of being able to continually elevate and do new things every time out. Meanwhile they've got a minor league full of people who are actually great until they destroy them, so he's pretty disposable.

In other news Drake's IG stories are a great example of juxtaposition.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1318924120441184256

He is an artist.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

If we're talking dumb gimmicks that were DOA then Chavo Guerrero pretending to be a rich white dude was going nowhere fast

Was that was Ziggler did right after Spirit Squad? Jesus that dire

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

SG Bamboo posted:

Was that was Ziggler did right after Spirit Squad? Jesus that dire

Was before. Ziggler is a sea of bad gimmicks.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Dijak is a mega talent. I think he is really skilled in the ring.

He is just a toxic human being. So, whatever weighs out I guess.

Dude needs to absolutely lay off social media for awhile.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rarity posted:

I am convinced that the only reason that gimmick existed was to set up Eddy vs Chavo. Even then it still sucked.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Would anyone be up for hosting a Bad Gimmick Tournament or something along those lines? It would be a shameful walk down memory lane but at least it's nice to get out of the house now and then.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Would anyone be up for hosting a Bad Gimmick Tournament or something along those lines? It would be a shameful walk down memory lane but at least it's nice to get out of the house now and then.

I miss the old days of wrestlecrap when it was all just laughing at bad gimmicks and angles, so I would love this.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I may be the only one left but I still read Wrestlecrap every friday. It was really fun to discover it as a teenager though, before youtube it was the only way to see some of that stuff like the Shockmaster.

Also I like the idea!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress it, I'll do it. My maths slate is wide open since the G1 prediction contest finished

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Eat My Fuc posted:

I may be the only one left but I still read Wrestlecrap every friday. It was really fun to discover it as a teenager though, before youtube it was the only way to see some of that stuff like the Shockmaster.

Also I like the idea!

I still check in sometimes but it's not the same as back in the day. But it's very possible I've changed not it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still check in sometimes but it's not the same as back in the day. But it's very possible I've changed not it.
It definitely has changed. There was quite a lot of gross "edgy" "humor" on the site back in the day, I especially remember them being really awful towards Ashley Massaro for a while. It all bled to the forums as well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Doc M posted:

It definitely has changed. There was quite a lot of gross "edgy" "humor" on the site back in the day, I especially remember them being really awful towards Ashley Massaro for a while. It all bled to the forums as well.

Well I don't miss that part.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Yeah, it used to be held back quite a bit by your typical mid-2000s Internet humour. Many of the articles were fun, but certain jokes were quickly run into the ground and certain writers were wackier or more bitter than others, which was awkward. (But enough about Something Awful)

I still occasionally read their stuff, not out of a need to be a serious historian but just to laugh at the inherent ridiculousness/offensiveness of pro wrestling. I think being able to go back over stuff with the WWE Network helped some of their recent articles, like the one that really went into detail about how the Higher Power storyline made absolutely zero sense regardless of which angle you approached it from.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

master wato should at least be a 16 seed dont lie

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/DeonnaPurrazzo/status/1318911624108007425

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheRealSabuECW/status/1318735472605102081

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't argue with that logic!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1313885498268622849

https://mobile.twitter.com/NINaylor/status/1312998068523085831

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 21, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

gently caress it, I'll do it. My maths slate is wide open since the G1 prediction contest finished

Thread is up

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1319091752003866624?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nyla speaks for the people

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Savage.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1319118664314941440

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I continue to always be in awe of a literal Stand Up for WWE movement yet no other promotion does this in these kinds of numbers and with so much hate.

It’s the Fox News of Wrestling and it’s so disappointing to see. Elias came back, cool. Jericho/MJF did a musical number too, cool.

The war is so one-sided and it’s so stupid.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

To be fair, people would have to watch the show to know Elias did a musical number on it to then criticize that musical number.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/AlexBoniello/status/1319110399975882753

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

ICR posted:

I continue to always be in awe of a literal Stand Up for WWE movement yet no other promotion does this in these kinds of numbers and with so much hate.

It’s the Fox News of Wrestling and it’s so disappointing to see. Elias came back, cool. Jericho/MJF did a musical number too, cool.

The war is so one-sided and it’s so stupid.

Those boots won't lick themselves!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

we literally have seen multiple "cinematic" matches in WWE like AJ versus an undead monster and The Fiend battling Cena within his own loving mind? Those were loving great and so was The Final Deletion in Impact. This is a business where one of the most respected workers of all time is an undead wizard with supernatural powers.

WWE is actively pushing not only a storyline where they hired the people who want to destroy them, but also a woman wrestler is being possessed and controlled by a demon who can teleport so I don't understand how a musical number is anymore silly.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Alright so I hated the musical bit at first. I’ve watched it a few times now...

It’s pushing the medium forward, the medium being Pro Wrestling. It makes sense character wise, it further separates MJF and Jericho from his own Inner Circle. It plays up their weaknesses and makes them better heels, it winks at the audience not at the elitist.

It’s good, they did good. I was a stickler but I changed my mind. Bravo.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Eat My Fuc posted:

It’s pushing the medium forward, the medium being Pro Wrestling. It makes sense character wise, it further separates MJF and Jericho from his own Inner Circle. It plays up their weaknesses and makes them better heels, it winks at the audience not at the elitist.

I've said it a few times but that segment made me so loving mad that MJF is so talented. So in that regard alone, its just fantastic heel work.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ChrisBTY posted:

For my contribution Spirit Squad was a dumb as gently caress gimmick that was heavily focused on in shows because DX needed people to clown on and only existed in the first place because somebody decided 'hey I bet cheerleading routines could make for great wrestling spots'. And they were kinda right TBH so it wasn't a total loss. But the bad outweighed the good by several orders of magnitude.

Whilst I am in the extreme minority here. I had high hopes for the Spirit Squad, and still think that done right it could be good.

A bunch of happy, smiley, meth-ed up male cheerleaders, bursting with cocaine fueled energy and positivity. They are heels who don't know they are heels, as all the other wrestlers, and indeed the crowd, poo poo on them for being male cheerleaders because .... well male cheerleaders.

They are actually good wrestlers, and get to do cool trampoline based offense, but also get to be clowned on and beaten up by the cool and tough actual wrestlers.

Anmd if you want you can slowly turn them face by just having them be innocent and sweet, so relying on the crowd to eventually warm to them. Or keep them as heels, by showing them to have a spiteful mean streak and have them be poor losers.

Again, all of the above is the Spirit Squad IF done right. We all know that WWE hosed them up, and tried to make them the credible threat and allied with Vinnie Mac against DX. Which was a poo poo fued.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's a travesty that we don't have a reality TV show that just follows their home life. Mox shouting about hockey, laughing about deathmatch scars, and shooting blowguns while Nene is desperately trying to finish 20 different pies for book photos

They were very funny on Total Divas. I just wanted to remind people Moxley was on a season of Total Divas.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BrigadierSensible posted:

all the other wrestlers, and indeed the crowd, poo poo on them for being male cheerleaders because .... well male cheerleaders.

making GBS threads on men for being cheerleaders is just saying it's not cool for men to like girl stuff and that's pretty hosed up actually

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Spirit Squad was 100% tapping into “lol male cheerleaders are gay as hell” bullshit. There was no way of salvaging that gimmick in the environment that is the WWE.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

Yeah, it was super jarring when you originally watch it because you feel like it's going one direction and then things fall off the rails and you feel like something is very wrong. But it was wonderfully avant-garde as it went along and the things you'd originally want to criticize it for became larger trapping as a part of Jericho and MJF's character work. Like, obviously, the avant-garde is going to be a thing that receives backlash, but like you said it is pushing the medium forward in terms of methods to generate characters, stories, and audience reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean, it isn't really my thing but it seems impossible to argue that breaking the rules and doing something different is somehow crossing lines after Matt Hardy and the Firefly Funhouse and everything else. Especially if it comes from a WWE perspective where they've done wacky things forever and have leaned in super hard into the absurd with the cinematic matches the last year. And its well in line with Jericho and MJF's characters.