Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you plan on doing lots of motorway I would take the 500 purely on the basis of it being a twin with a relaxed engine.

In every other way, especially learner-relevant ways, the 300 is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I used to take a 250 Ninja up to highway speed all the time, but really it makes way more sense to go to the 500. Blah blah new rider blah blah but if you're going to be on the highway HP/Torque should be at a decent enough level that you aren't struggling to pass cars. A 1 second pass is infinitely safer than a 3 second pass.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If that 500 has the same motor as the CB500x, it's incredibly tame for a new rider. I was able to do about 110 mph on the autobahn with it, too, for long stretches.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Slavvy posted:

If you plan on doing lots of motorway I would take the 500 purely on the basis of it being a twin with a relaxed engine.

In every other way, especially learner-relevant ways, the 300 is better.

This is really good advice.

I hate riding my 250 on the freeway. It gets up to around 75 and at that speed it's maxed out. I would hate to have to try and pass someone on the bike. And riding the single stroke is tiring, especially as I work on my grip.

I love riding the 250 otherwise. It's nimble, it's cheap to own and operate. When I do dumb noob stuff, it is forgiving. It is LIGHT. It sips gas. For me, it's perfect as an occasional/weekend rider.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
250 parallel twins are fun as hell. It's like being with a really short girl, yeah you look a little awkward in public, ignorant people might make a comment now and then, but when you're riding her it's the best feeling.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Hey buddy the ADVRider.txt thread is that way ===>

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Oceanlife posted:

250 parallel twins are fun as hell. It's like being with a really short girl, yeah you look a little awkward in public, ignorant people might make a comment now and then, but when you're riding her it's the best feeling.

250cc bikes are great, however you need to use a different simile, one that isn't misogynistic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oceanlife posted:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Oceanlife posted:

You first bike it like your first gently caress, there is basically no bike that a new rider won't fall in love with. It's amazing, it feels good. Then after you get experience you figure out what your fetishes are.

Oceanlife posted:

This is still not ADVRider.txt

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Let's get this thread back on track!!!

I am very bad about using my rear brake. While just commuting or whatever then I use it, but doing "spirited" riding I hardly ever do. I notice sometimes when I downshift while braking, I will feel it through my front end. I am shifting as smoothly as I can, and also avoiding putting weight into the bars. Sometimes it feels like front skipping, and yesterday it actually wriggled around a bit. Is this because as my engine braking increases from being in a lower gear/higher RPM, my weight shifts back slightly reducing my front end grip? Would using my rear brake help alleviate this? I am going to try to use my rear more anyway, but I wonder if there is something else that could be causing this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m also fairly bad at rear brake. I do use it in slow turns and emergency or sudden stops but when I’m just tooling down the road or I see a red light ahead I mainly use front.

I’m also pretty bad at riding so take that as you will.

E: Front skipping? Do you have ABS? The only time my front ever felt like it was skipping was when I didn’t emerg-brake with both front and rear and the ABS kicked in.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I use it every time I come up to a stop sign, or sometimes a stoplight. I just stand on it and skid like a BMX kid in a school parking lot.

It's always fun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Let's get this thread back on track!!!

I am very bad about using my rear brake. While just commuting or whatever then I use it, but doing "spirited" riding I hardly ever do. I notice sometimes when I downshift while braking, I will feel it through my front end. I am shifting as smoothly as I can, and also avoiding putting weight into the bars. Sometimes it feels like front skipping, and yesterday it actually wriggled around a bit. Is this because as my engine braking increases from being in a lower gear/higher RPM, my weight shifts back slightly reducing my front end grip? Would using my rear brake help alleviate this? I am going to try to use my rear more anyway, but I wonder if there is something else that could be causing this.

No, you're very confused here. Basically any deceleration = more weight on the front wheel, you can't unload the front wheel using the brakes or engine braking.

Beyond that there isn't really enough to go on here, either get a GoPro or try to understand what's happening in a more specific way. By that I mean isolate exactly what you're doing and what the bike and road circumstances are when it happens, then try to make it happen on purpose; only once you've identified the problem is it remotely possible to go about fixing it, if it's even something that needs fixing at all.

My totally baseless speculation from the tiny bit of information there is: you are unintentionally pulsing the front brake while manipulating the throttle to rev match and it's upsetting the bike.

Using the rear brake more is just good advice in general. It has little actual stopping value on most non-cruisers, it's most useful for the settling effect it has on swingarm geometry - it effectively makes the bike longer and lower and that improves stability. Again, the way to test stuff like this is to do the same corner in the same way repeatedly and seeing what difference using the rear brake has.

Also it doesn't matter too much in this case but in future it's worth mentioning what kind of bike you have as they aren't all the same and the answers can vary wildly!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should always be using both brakes simultaneously. The front brake only theoretically provides "all" of the stopping power; on the street you aren't going to be pulling maximum-effort stoppies, so your rear tire will still have significant traction and the rear brake will help slow you down without risking a front-wheel lockup. And while you should not get in the habit of using it exclusively, it is safer to apply the rear one first in the rain, on sandy roads, etc.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
You mentioned spirited riding, are you shifting while in a turn? If so that could be it, you don’t want to upset the bike so much while leaned over, try to get matched into the right gear for the turn ahead of time.

I’ve definitely had the squiggles from getting this wrong on my first bike.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I hardly use the rear brake. It's super weak on my bikes. I mostly use it as a hill hold at stops and to settle the suspension braking into corners.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So if I want to get into riding would a bmw 310r be a good bike? Something that won’t get me in over my head but also something I won’t outgrow immediately

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep, that would be a totally appropriate first bike. One of my students bought one as his first and he's having a blast.

I need to convince him to quit wearing loving loafers though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Koirhor posted:

So if I want to get into riding would a bmw 310r be a good bike? Something that won’t get me in over my head but also something I won’t outgrow immediately

Would a 300 of some kind be a good bike? gently caress yeah go get an r3 or Ninja 300 or cbr300.

A g310 is very much not a good bike though, they are sub-390 levels of shittiness in both design and execution, and surprisingly miserable to ride too! Made in India out of scrap metal and recycled McDonald's trays, no reason whatsoever to buy one besides the badge.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Would a 300 of some kind be a good bike? gently caress yeah go get an r3 or Ninja 300 or cbr300.

A g310 is very much not a good bike though, they are sub-390 levels of shittiness in both design and execution, and surprisingly miserable to ride too! Made in India out of scrap metal and recycled McDonald's trays, no reason whatsoever to buy one besides the badge.

Harsh but fair

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oceanlife posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yikes

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Serious question, what's the bike on the cover of Horny Man Travis's greatest work?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Serious question, what's the bike on the cover of Horny Man Travis's greatest work?

1996 to 1999 or 2000 GSX-R

no idea which displacement gixxer but that's definitely the right generation

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I can't quite tell but it looks like an S-RAD

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is clearly an srad by shape, 750 by the forks as the 600 never got USD.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SRAD, the gixxer with the most holes.

*cough*

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I want a sequel where he upgrades to a TL1000R

:tutbutt:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah srad gixxer with race plastics

I think maybe my favorite horny man Travis factoid is that he was so horny he only made it 26 minutes after registering before he posted his magnum opus

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm playing with the idea of actually attempting a full version of sex motorcycle for nanowrimo but it's EXTREMELY unlikely I'll actually do it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Horny man Travis is an idealist who imagines a world where guys who ride “hogs” and call bikes “hogs” are in the same gang with people who ride GSXRs and the main fear involved in all of that is they might all want to gently caress and cum in the same motorcycle seat

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

gently caress I own the bike from the cover and I still can't identify it beyond "pixelated and distorted bike"

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I use the rear brake for slowing down, front brake for stopping.

Ie, if I have time to just slow down for a light or need to maintain distance more than just rolling off the throttle will give me, I'll use the rear brake.
Anything requiring any significant stopping power will be front brake (or both).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Horny man Travis is an idealist who imagines a world where guys who ride “hogs” and call bikes “hogs” are in the same gang with people who ride GSXRs and the main fear involved in all of that is they might all want to gently caress and cum in the same motorcycle seat

Like a two wheeled ghandi.

MomJeans420 posted:

gently caress I own the bike from the cover and I still can't identify it beyond "pixelated and distorted bike"

If you hosed it more often maybe you'd be able to identify your own bike :colbert:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I’m also fairly bad at rear brake. I do use it in slow turns and emergency or sudden stops but when I’m just tooling down the road or I see a red light ahead I mainly use front.

I’m also pretty bad at riding so take that as you will.

E: Front skipping? Do you have ABS? The only time my front ever felt like it was skipping was when I didn’t emerg-brake with both front and rear and the ABS kicked in.

No ABS. It's not actually skipping ... that's just the best way I can think to describe it :shobon:

Sagebrush posted:

You should always be using both brakes simultaneously. The front brake only theoretically provides "all" of the stopping power; on the street you aren't going to be pulling maximum-effort stoppies, so your rear tire will still have significant traction and the rear brake will help slow you down without risking a front-wheel lockup. And while you should not get in the habit of using it exclusively, it is safer to apply the rear one first in the rain, on sandy roads, etc.

Oh yeah I agree. I just have a bad habit I need to get myself out of. I crashed on one of my very first rides because (among other things) I locked my rear and skidded off the road. I have since deliberately locked it up several times, and it takes way more pressure than I'd ever actually use, so I just need to get over it, I guess.

Ulf posted:

You mentioned spirited riding, are you shifting while in a turn? If so that could be it, you don’t want to upset the bike so much while leaned over, try to get matched into the right gear for the turn ahead of time.

I’ve definitely had the squiggles from getting this wrong on my first bike.

Yeah, sort of. It was in a slight left into a shaper right, so I was turning slightly while I shifted down. In retrospect I probably didn't need to shift down at all because I was also slowing down generally, not just for the turn. I do know better than to shift while fully turning.

Slavvy posted:

No, you're very confused here. Basically any deceleration = more weight on the front wheel, you can't unload the front wheel using the brakes or engine braking.

Beyond that there isn't really enough to go on here, either get a GoPro or try to understand what's happening in a more specific way. By that I mean isolate exactly what you're doing and what the bike and road circumstances are when it happens, then try to make it happen on purpose; only once you've identified the problem is it remotely possible to go about fixing it, if it's even something that needs fixing at all.

My totally baseless speculation from the tiny bit of information there is: you are unintentionally pulsing the front brake while manipulating the throttle to rev match and it's upsetting the bike.

Using the rear brake more is just good advice in general. It has little actual stopping value on most non-cruisers, it's most useful for the settling effect it has on swingarm geometry - it effectively makes the bike longer and lower and that improves stability. Again, the way to test stuff like this is to do the same corner in the same way repeatedly and seeing what difference using the rear brake has.

Also it doesn't matter too much in this case but in future it's worth mentioning what kind of bike you have as they aren't all the same and the answers can vary wildly!

I feel like I can provide fairly steady pressure while blipping the throttle, but I am sure I have massive room for improvement. That seems like a fairly reasonable explanation, or I unintentionally put an input into the bars while doing it.

I do have a camera, actually. Here is the clip :ohdear: It's like 90MB so don't open that on a phone. I'm not sure if you can really tell anything from that. It could just be a combination of things at once, braking, turning, downshifting, bumps, not smooth, etc.

I need to practice more. Unfortunately since COVID the only reliably empty parking lot in town has been half closed and half full of people teaching their kids to drive. The last 4 or 5 times I've gone there, I end up leaving after 5-10 minutes because there's just no room to focus on what you're doing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've watched the video and can't exactly tell what's going on. Is the bike doing a quick head shake? You're not braking particularly hard but you're not downshifting very smoothly either.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah basically. I’m on my phone but I think it’s at :30, a quick head shake. I think it’s probably from not smooth shifting and potentially also unintentional steering input.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If you hosed it more often maybe you'd be able to identify your own bike :colbert:

Something something about getting a boo-ner? Got to be some kind of joke there

*edit*
Just looking at a pic of my garage stresses me out, to think it was cleaner than ever a few months ago. No time for anything post-baby

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Me waiting for Suzuki to update the GSXR 750

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

*skeletor voice*

NICE ONE, PUNCHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I hope you guys are right that I'm about to have so much fun...

Just got the title for 2019 Honda CB300R w/ 4400 miles on the clock and a bunch of gear. I pick it up in 13 hours and 33 minutes, but who's counting.