Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's cool that one of the big selling points of a lot of Kickstarter MMOs has been "We'll be free from evil publishers!" and they've all been object lessons in why 95% of developers need a publisher cracking the whip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I also like the part where some of them decide to avoid Steam/any major platform to save on the % and then have their forum hacked, user db compromised, serve unsigned, unverified binaries over plaintext http, and in general mismanage a lovely homemade payment system.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Parkinson's Law: Works expands to fill the time allotted.

Ergo, Star Citizen is going to be the best drat space MMO ever.

Erm, wrong thread.

Replace Star Citizen and "space" with your kickstarter MMO's name and theme of choice.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

cmdrk posted:

honestly the devs ought to just dump the code out there and let the community finish the game. they basically were trying to get people to pay to be a developer ages ago, anyhow :)

Holy gently caress yeah I saw that on the archived page someone posted in here or the Pantheon thread.

"$10,000 PACKAGE, EVERYTHING FROM ALL THE OTHER 20 loving PACKAGES YOU CAN BUY, BUT INCLUDES DESIGNING A RAID WITH THE TEAM."

Werner Herzog could make a documentary on the people who purchased that, if there was any.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

1stGear posted:

It's cool that one of the big selling points of a lot of Kickstarter MMOs has been "We'll be free from evil publishers!" and they've all been object lessons in why 95% of developers need a publisher cracking the whip.

If the developer opens their kickstarter with "none of the big publishers would take our idea" i've learned to take that as a massive red flag.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Wasn't there talk about a Runescape 3 client for iOS a while ago? I'm checking the app store every now and then, but still it's only osrs.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
heres one for ya, MMO chat. What made runescape so good?

I tried playing once in probably 2001 or 2002, once recently, and nothing clicked.

I seem to recall that one of the defining features of the earlier client was that it was a Java applet web game, and so you could play it at school and other places.

was that a draw for you? or was it something else?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah you could pretty much play it on a toaster. And personally I think it has some of the best mmo quests ever, it's almost never 10 orc butts. There's lore and secret areas and shortcuts and unique fun items to unlock

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was in elementary school when I found it, so the appeal was the large amount of free content I could play in the computer lab or at home. Then the membership being 5$ made it much easier to pitch to my parents.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Heads up, there's a free 7 day trial for RS3 and OSRS via Amazon Prime/Twitch Gaming or whatever. I picked it up and checked out some of the non f2p areas and quests and it was pretty enjoyable.

Dunno if I'd sub since I have so much else to do but the questing was enjoyable like others have said.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Originally I started because it was the first game played over the internet that I ran into. This was sometime in 2002 or 2003.

I still get back into it occasionally. Its in my opinion properly unique game among all other MMOs or even games in general. It has a weird charm to it. I'm talking about OSRS here. I haven't played RS3 so I cant comment on it but probably a lot of what makes OSRS good in my opinion is also present in RS3.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
RS3 is OSRS with 13 years of QoL, graphical updates and content. There's a ridiculous amount of poo poo to do, skills are usually either less grindy or have reasonable XP rates and quests for the last ten years or so have been really good. There's a cash shop and loot boxes of sorts, but you can earn the latter through regular gameplay.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If there was something like time-locked progression servers for runescape I'd be down for that, it's one of the few early mmos I skipped over.

Hell, I'd be down for a TLP server for pretty much any mmo made in the oughties, especially lotro and maybe even eq2 just out of morbid curiosity.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

If there was something like time-locked progression servers for runescape I'd be down for that, it's one of the few early mmos I skipped over.

Hell, I'd be down for a TLP server for pretty much any mmo made in the oughties, especially lotro and maybe even eq2 just out of morbid curiosity.

EQ2 apparently does make "Timelocked Expansion" servers from time to time, judging by the EQ2 thread. I played it at launch, was kinda cool. The "FULL VOICE ACTING FOR EVERYTHING BECAUSE SONY! WE GOT THE WATER SIMULATION FROM TITANIC!" was great. Then literally about 2 weeks later, WoW released and the rest is history, lol.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah I would totally do LotrO if there was a fresh start server or something. I never got a chance to really try it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah I would totally do LotrO if there was a fresh start server or something. I never got a chance to really try it.

https://www.lotro.com/en/legendary

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That’s cool, I had no idea that was a thing. They made some odd decisions with the modern version (like doing away with looting ...?)

My major qualm with the game is that even though it can support 4K resolutions you can only scale parts of the UI, so unit plates are nice and big but your bags are impossibly small.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Neat, are there any goons there?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Elendil004 posted:

Neat, are there any goons there?

Not really. There are only a few goons in LotRO regularly right now and I think most of them are doing the newer content. If they do another Legacy Server there will probably be a few that go back.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Kaysette posted:

Not really. There are only a few goons in LotRO regularly right now and I think most of them are doing the newer content. If they do another Legacy Server there will probably be a few that go back.

Ah, is the current legacy server too "far along"?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How did I miss the lotro legacy server? They still send me happy birthday emails. Why do they do that if they don't also send me news?

Also PvMP is disabled for the legacy servers. What a shame. Although it seems they completely forgot about it after a couple expansions anyway. Very funny-sad.

cmdrk posted:

EQ2 apparently does make "Timelocked Expansion" servers from time to time, judging by the EQ2 thread. I played it at launch, was kinda cool. The "FULL VOICE ACTING FOR EVERYTHING BECAUSE SONY! WE GOT THE WATER SIMULATION FROM TITANIC!" was great. Then literally about 2 weeks later, WoW released and the rest is history, lol.

Do you know if they preserved the need to group for xp for their TLP servers? That's kind of why I wanted to try that, to see how things were before being made completely irrelevant.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does EQ2 have a server going right now that is just classic launch EQ2 and it will stay that way?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

cmdrk posted:

heres one for ya, MMO chat. What made runescape so good?

I tried playing once in probably 2001 or 2002, once recently, and nothing clicked.

I seem to recall that one of the defining features of the earlier client was that it was a Java applet web game, and so you could play it at school and other places.

was that a draw for you? or was it something else?

I played it as a kid and got back into old school last year and OSRS has become one of my favorite games once again. Using the custom RuneLite client gives you all kinds of quality of life features such as GPU accelerated rendering among many other things.
But besides the custom client making things nicer it is without a doubt the world and quests that draw me in. I absolutely love the world they have built over the years and the huge variety in quests is fantastic. Everything from defeating evil demons, to solving murder mysteries, and unravelling conspiracies surrounding royalty. Even the more mundane quests usually introduce unique ideas and gameplay specific to the quest.

Bit of a side note but Runescape is one of the few MMOs that I've run into that does not have strict level zones, content for players is spread out over the world equally for both early and late game players. So you see newbies and veterans travelling around the same areas. Whereas in WoW and similar once you "graduated" to a new area you went there and never looked back from my experience.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The three quests I chiefly remember from Runescape was the house of horror one, the one where you bake a birthday cake, and one where you smuggle rum in a crate of bananas.

I played that game for years, but didn't get very far. Too busy making jewelcrafting trinkets and cherry pies while listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers' album By The Way.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I qualify for a 15 year veteran cape in 7 days, I think the first half of that time accounts for less than 5% of the experience I've gained. I don't know what the gently caress I was doing for hours at a time.

edit: okay well i was listening to scatman while playing castle wars but it can't have just been that

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Runescape is my on-again-off-again MMO that I play for a 2-3 month period every 2-3 years and I get a couple of new 99s with the fancy new training methods and enjoy number going up until I get bored again. I managed to get 5 99s and the quest cape during my last playing period which was cool. I really do enjoy the quests in RS, they're generally quite fun and interesting.

Yes, even Elemental Workshop 3. I like stupid brainbuster puzzles like that.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eox posted:

I qualify for a 15 year veteran cape in 7 days, I think the first half of that time accounts for less than 5% of the experience I've gained. I don't know what the gently caress I was doing for hours at a time.

edit: okay well i was listening to scatman while playing castle wars but it can't have just been that

Castle wars was fun as hell

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
The thing I like about RS quests is that they're rarely boring (at least RS3, not sure about the old one), compared to most games where at best you get something like a modified fetch quest.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

If you’re down with sandbox MMOs and don’t absolutely require scripted PvE quests, Albion Online is kicking so much rear end nowadays.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Any other dumb idiots like me excited for Elyon? It's having a Korean only launch on the 10th of December and there's a very good chance I'll play it. Just really hanging out for a fresh MMO experience and this looks good, adding the language barrier just adds to my gameplay.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I haven't heard much about Elyon, whats exciting about it?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Bluehole, Kakao Games, looks like a bog standard KMMO copy and paste. Site is written (code-wise) like early 2000s. Probably using the typical invasive/insecure KR anticheats that make it unplayable/bannable in Bootcamp or if you have WSL enabled.

My initial impressions are approaching a zero. For whatever weird reason it's advertised as steampunk and I can't see the slightest thing steampunk about it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

IMO the strongest thing about Runescape is that you didn't just get stats when leveling up things, you got access to new areas. Sure you get to make a better bow or whatever, but you also get to go into the exclusive guild of bow making, and you get cosmetics that show what a great bowman you are. Not to mention that (at least back in the day) you had to compete for resources pretty hard when you got into the higher levels, so it was exciting to even get basic stuff together

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Xun posted:

I haven't heard much about Elyon, whats exciting about it?

Just a new action combat MMORPG with large scale PVP is enough to get me excited. Comes across as BDO meets Guildwars kinda feel.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
yeah feels like they added some pve elements (dungeons) to BDO and gave it a sci-fi tinge

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I feel like I ask every few months / years, but is there a worthy successor to Mount and Blade’s CRPG yet? I remember waking up at 6am on a sunday to fight out a castle seige, good times.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Chopstix posted:

I feel like I ask every few months / years, but is there a worthy successor to Mount and Blade’s CRPG yet? I remember waking up at 6am on a sunday to fight out a castle seige, good times.

I don’t know about “worthy” but isn’t conquerors blade basically this?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Chopstix posted:

crossing my fingers bannerlord will have another iteration of that someday

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Comrayn posted:

I don’t know about “worthy” but isn’t conquerors blade basically this?

That game is very Dynasty Warrior like, and way too spammy for my tastes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Chopstix posted:

That game is very Dynasty Warrior like, and way too spammy for my tastes

I realized after I posted a better fit might be Gloria Victis but I only played like five minutes of that. I’m not sure how many people actually play but it can’t be more than a few hundred.