Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mitsuo posted:

loving mask off on the NIMBYism in San Jose city council district 6 race

("Her challenger" = Jake Tonkel, Green Party candidate who got support of DSA, unions, pretty much all the democratic clubs that aren't barred from endorsing non-party-members)

The police union also dropped $100k against him with a cheesy website and everything: http://taxintonkel.com/

Really hoping Tonkel can win, beyond the fact that he's the best candidate him winning would swing the council majority to being progressive/pro-labor. We've had so many loving 6-5 votes in favor of Liccardo and his cronies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Sydin posted:

Really hoping Tonkel can win, beyond the fact that he's the best candidate him winning would swing the council majority to being progressive/pro-labor. We've had so many loving 6-5 votes in favor of Liccardo and his cronies.

Yeah, and hopefully David Cohen up in District 4 can also win against Lan Diep and potentially swing it to 7-4. Don't know as much about how reliable he is, but there's hope there.

Sadly, the other new face on the council, Matt Mahan in District 10 (replacing termed-out Johnny Khamis), is some tech CEO shithead who's gonna be anti-labor - the most promising progressive challenger in the primaries got high on benzos and killed a pedestrian in her SUV. :cripes:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mitsuo posted:

Yeah, and hopefully David Cohen up in District 4 can also win against Lan Diep and potentially swing it to 7-4. Don't know as much about how reliable he is, but there's hope there.

Sadly, the other new face on the council, Matt Mahan in District 10 (replacing termed-out Johnny Khamis), is some tech CEO shithead who's gonna be anti-labor - the most promising progressive challenger in the primaries got high on benzos and killed a pedestrian in her SUV. :cripes:

What the absolute gently caress

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I moved out of District 10 but not before that primary and yeah, our options for councilor were completely hosed. Mahan is an ex-tech startup CEO who - I poo poo you not - was personally convinced to get into politics by Mark Zuckerberg. His challengers were Wang - a Republican businesswoman who's campaign began and ended with "fiscal responsibility", and Higgins-Bradanini - a community activist who tried to ride the line of "I'm the progressive candidate!" and "we need to hire more police to combat gang violence!" Also she took a corner too fast in 2019 and ran over and killed some poor dude trying to get something out of his own car, and after some brief googling the only remarks I could find by her on the topic was a thank you post for everybody who supported her though was a such a touch time for her.

I checked the DSA Silicon Valley voter guide out of interest and unsurprisingly their stance was "yeah uh, we can't recommend anybody for the District 10 primary, sorry."

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Sydin posted:

I moved out of District 10 but not before that primary and yeah, our options for councilor were completely hosed. Mahan is an ex-tech startup CEO who - I poo poo you not - was personally convinced to get into politics by Mark Zuckerberg. His challengers were Wang - a Republican businesswoman who's campaign began and ended with "fiscal responsibility", and Higgins-Bradanini - a community activist who tried to ride the line of "I'm the progressive candidate!" and "we need to hire more police to combat gang violence!" Also she took a corner too fast in 2019 and ran over and killed some poor dude trying to get something out of his own car, and after some brief googling the only remarks I could find by her on the topic was a thank you post for everybody who supported her though was a such a touch time for her.

I checked the DSA Silicon Valley voter guide out of interest and unsurprisingly their stance was "yeah uh, we can't recommend anybody for the District 10 primary, sorry."

Bradanini has since been charged: https://www.sanjoseinside.com/news/jenny-higgins-bradanini-charged-with-vehicular-manslaughter-after-fatal-december-car-crash/

Also, yeah I should have put "progressive" in quotation marks - it wasn't a great lineup. I suppose that's partially to be expected what with all the country clubs and Almaden Valley, etc. Is there anywhere in the Bay Area where further into the hills doesn't equal more awful NIMBY shitheads?

By the way, SV DSA had a vote and changed their Prop 25 recommendation to "no recommendation".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yikes, she really was on benzos at the time of the incident. Apparently enough that she was completely disoriented and barely able to drive, too :stare:

Christ that primary was so bad.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
PG&E is gonna shutoff power to half a million people on Sunday

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Lafayette-Orinda-Moraga-brace-for-PG-E-outages-15670411.php

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Half a million customers. I could affect up to 1.5 million people.

God I hate them.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Paywall, but you can look up your address here and it should tell you if you'll be part of a planned outage: https://pgealerts.alerts.pge.com/updates/

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Does someone have links handy regarding PG&E pocketing funds for safety and just paying out executives? I want something on hand for some of the common arguments from conservatives (e.g., PG&E is being prevented from clearing brush, etc.).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bizarro Watt posted:

Does someone have links handy regarding PG&E pocketing funds for safety and just paying out executives? I want something on hand for some of the common arguments from conservatives (e.g., PG&E is being prevented from clearing brush, etc.).

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/PG-E-diverted-safety-money-for-profit-bonuses-2500175.php

From when their overpressurized gas lines exploded in San Bruno

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The blackouts this summer finally convinced me to call an electrician about getting a standby genset.

That just might be the single most in demand type of contractor that there is right now.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Excellent thank you. My google skills apparently leave much to be desired.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Drizzle in the weekend forecast for SLO and blackouts in the forecast for Norcal. What a world.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god do I love Roseville Utilities. Wayyyy cheaper and they haven’t shut power off once, while most of my friends are constantly going through this crap.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

DrSunshine posted:

Obviously the second tile because it supports more pops which means you can push your I/C/O sliders up higher for more $$$ to your city so you can spend on the next tier of ploppables.

"the fiscalization of land use"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
This fight over classifying gig workers as employees is crazy to me. AB5 was poorly written, but the response by gig workers being like "I don't want to have a regular job!!!!" like Uber and Lyft can't just do the same thing they do now, just with a bit taxes, is bizarre. Do they know that companies aren't required to make you work from 9 to 5? It feels like these would be the same people defending company scrip for fucks sake.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's not the gig workers saying that, friend. That single mom who drives Uber that texted you isn't real.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kenning posted:

It's not the gig workers saying that, friend. That single mom who drives Uber that texted you isn't real.
If that's the case, their Facebook bot game is very strong.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CopperHound posted:

Easy to do when you have a few hundred million to spend on a PR campaign.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
The best $200 million can buy

EFB

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CopperHound posted:

Also some of these companies are legally allowed to use their driver's signature for whatever the gently caress they feel like including petitions, which I strongly suspect is where they got that "4-in-1 of our drivers want to stay independent" statistic

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

withak posted:

Easy to do when you have a few hundred million to spend on a PR campaign.

Yeah dude they apparently have deep cover deep learning agents that have been pretending to be my friends for years and even hire actors so I can meet them in person and have friends date them.

All for my one vote.

It's nefarious.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I have some dumb friends too who have so fully internalized the rugged individualist self-employed John Galt myth that they would rather build an identity around "being their own boss" because they "don't like being told what to do" under Uber's thumb, with horrible wages, no benefits, and no protections, over recognizing that they actually have material things to gain from AB5/Prop 22.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Lets not forget that CA hosed up AB5 enough that it lends credibility to the rideshares.

They fixed it now but it may end up being a thing that helped them in their $200m quest

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The gig workers are also most directly in the stream of industry propaganda telling them this will ruin their livelihoods. $200 million in media works.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Papercut posted:

The gig workers are also most directly in the stream of industry propaganda telling them this will ruin their livelihoods. $200 million in media works.

Basically every commercial I've seen on Youtube is "yes on 22", and since YT changed it's advertising, that's a lot of commerials.

I am getting a ton of Yes on 15 texts now but that may be a tad late, guys.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Oakland passed a measure restricting homeless camps without any new funding or strategy for building new housing. Looks like they've thrown in the towel and are hoping to sweep the problem under the rug/freeway overpass

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/10/21/oakland-passes-controversial-new-homeless-encampment-policy/

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Has anyone seen any recent polling on the props? Last I saw almost all of them were on track to pass.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

When I was a kid I talked to one of my older teachers about politics and she said "yeah I just vote no on every prop in case they're bad"

At the time I was like "noooooo" and helped her research the props on the ballot but now that I'm older... I see she had the correct position on it

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

When I was a kid I talked to one of my older teachers about politics and she said "yeah I just vote no on every prop in case they're bad"

At the time I was like "noooooo" and helped her research the props on the ballot but now that I'm older... I see she had the correct position on it

I was going through my ballot last night and came to this proposition and still can't get over how ridiculous this whole system is

quote:

Shall the City eliminate the payroll expense tax; permanently increase the registration fee for some businesses by $230–460, decreasing it for others; permanently increase gross receipts tax rates to 0.105–1.040%, exempting more small businesses; permanently increase the administrative office tax rate to 1.61%; if the City loses certain lawsuits, increase gross receipts tax rates on some businesses by 0.175–0.690% and the administrative office tax rate by 1.5%, and place a new 1% or 3.5% tax on gross receipts from commercial leases, for 20 years; and make other business tax changes; for estimated annual revenue of $97 million?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Papercut posted:

I was going through my ballot last night and came to this proposition and still can't get over how ridiculous this whole system is

what's the problem, you don't think about detailed city accounting in your spare time?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It’s almost like legislating is a difficult task that requires knowing a lot and should be done by people whose full time job it is, and who have extensive support staffs.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's almost like the proposition system, which originally served to curb the power of railroad monopolies in Sacramento, has been wholly captured by corporate lobbyist types and is a weapon used against the people of California.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I like the catch all "and make other business tax changes" at the end

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Kenning posted:

It's almost like the proposition system, which originally served to curb the power of railroad monopolies in Sacramento, has been wholly captured by corporate lobbyist types and is a weapon used against the people of California.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Sorry thread, can someone help me understand prop 19? It's confusing as gently caress. My gut tells me "over 55 year olds hold most of the wealth in this state and they don't need any help with tax breaks" but it is awfully complicated. Feels like they grouped people who actually need help (fire victims, disabled) with those who don't.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DarklyDreaming posted:

Also some of these companies are legally allowed to use their driver's signature for whatever the gently caress they feel like including petitions, which I strongly suspect is where they got that "4-in-1 of our drivers want to stay independent" statistic

is this like actually true? it sounds insane to me. but... well..

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Papercut posted:

harsh but fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Smythe posted:

is this like actually true? it sounds insane to me. but... well..

Ok basically last year when rumblings of AB5 first took off Postmates took a full page add in the LA Times saying "These 1,600 drivers want to remain independent contractors" with their full names printed below. Some of the people on that list noticed that they didn't agree to appear in an advertisement and raised a stink about it.

A Postmates PR person said "Lol read your employment contract, we own the right to sign your name to anything" :smuggo:

https://splinternews.com/postmates-workers-say-they-werent-told-their-names-woul-1837307986