Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shibawanko posted:

saturday and sunday are called the weekend. god rested on sunday because he was all tired from making the world. sunday is clearly the last day for a bunch of reasons, who would even think of making it the first

more like for a *brunch* of reasons

mm brunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

WHY don't they sell coffee crisp in the US
Ugh, right?? They did sell them at 7-Eleven over here for a hot loving minute about ten years ago, but that's it. They're delicious and would be immensely popular. :(

I think I heard that Costco Canada sells boxes of Coffee Crisp? If so, I'm going to stop half-assing it at convenience and drug stores and just stock up. Thank goodness the border is only 40 minutes away. Too bad it's closed. :mad:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

Ugh, right?? They did sell them at 7-Eleven over here for a hot loving minute about ten years ago, but that's it. They're delicious and would be immensely popular. :(

I think I heard that Costco Canada sells boxes of Coffee Crisp? If so, I'm going to stop half-assing it at convenience and drug stores and just stock up. Thank goodness the border is only 40 minutes away. Too bad it's closed. :mad:

Will coffee crisp convince y'all to get your poo poo together coronavirus-wise? Is this a carrot we can dangle in front of you?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Um why would an almighty God need to rest or even be able to get tired?

Checkmate religiousailures

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

saturday and sunday are called the weekend. god rested on sunday because he was all tired from making the world. sunday is clearly the last day for a bunch of reasons, who would even think of making it the first

God rested on saturday you loving goy. Smart that he invented reform jews like me who don't give a poo poo about posting on Shabbat.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Will coffee crisp convince y'all to get your poo poo together coronavirus-wise? Is this a carrot we can dangle in front of you?

yes please/ouais s'il te plaît

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Oct 24, 2020

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
between this and the unpopular opinion thread, shiba’s got the weird europey sheltered dork thing on lock. congrats, man

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

god rested in sunday. saturday is when he jacked off

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

between this and the unpopular opinion thread, shiba’s got the weird europey sheltered dork thing on lock. congrats, man

being europey is cool

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

being europey is cool

only certain kinds.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cool Europey dudes
-Sorta sleazy Italian guy but not the sex pest sort
-Norwegian sailor with tough exterior but heart of gold
-That Finnish dude I ran into in Stockholm once who was ranting (in Finnish) at Swedes through his portable amplifier by Sergels torg.

Not cool Europey dudes:
-Anglos
-The French
-Me

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

It certainly convinced me (and mine). Unfortunately, they won't open the border and let me stock up until I get 330+ million of my compatriots on board.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cool Europey dudes
-Sorta sleazy Italian guy but not the sex pest sort
-Norwegian sailor with tough exterior but heart of gold
-That Finnish dude I ran into in Stockholm once who was ranting (in Finnish) at Swedes through his portable amplifier by Sergels torg.

Not cool Europey dudes:
-Anglos
-The French
-Me

bulgarian guy with big mustache and strongly held opinions about food from his hometown

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Killingyouguy! posted:

This is how it is in some languages that aren't English

Well, I am in fact referring to its usage in English, the language we are speaking on this forum.

Phosphine posted:

Yeah as a non-american I would write 20$, because that's both how we say it and also how we write it for our currency. Do you know if there's a reason you put it before?

I don't know if this is the real reason but I've heard it's to prevent fraud. If a check says 20$, someone could change it to 120$. There's no room for additions when the dollar sign is in front.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Well, I am in fact referring to its usage in English, the language we are speaking on this forum.

I don't know if this is the real reason but I've heard it's to prevent fraud. If a check says 20$, someone could change it to 120$. There's no room for additions when the dollar sign is in front.

Why wouldn’t you just be able to change it to $200?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why wouldn’t you just be able to change it to $200?

You usually write the change on checks, too. $20.00
We also spell it out as "Twenty dollars and 00/100" in the written line. So the fraud thing might not be true; I dunno.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

bulgarian guy with big mustache and strongly held opinions about food from his hometown

wait gently caress can you introduce me to this guy?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Last I checked English as a first language wasn't a membership requirement of SA lmao

Anyway today I watched a whole rear end family walk up and down an entire store opposite the direction of the floor arrows. I'll never understand how unthinking (or willfully malicious?) you'd have to be to do that poo poo

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's 2020.

America is a global hegemon.

We all speak English whether we want to or not.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
if you’re going to require that everyone uses hand sanitizer before shopping, don’t loving put out the most perfumey garbage you can find. i’ve washed my hands like 5-6 times and i can still smell it. just go scent free for gently caress’s sake. horrible

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate how watery a lot of sanitiser is. I go at the pump expecting it to be thicker like a soap, but end up hitting it too hard and it just ends up everywhere. It's like "Welp, at least my trousers are disinfected now..."

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Wile E. Toyota posted:

You usually write the change on checks, too. $20.00
We also spell it out as "Twenty dollars and 00/100" in the written line. So the fraud thing might not be true; I dunno.

For what it's worth, fraud prevention on written documents is the reasoning for the dollar sign going first I was taught in school. 70% of the things I learned in school being stuff the teacher just completely made up to screw with kids could be a peeve.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate how watery a lot of sanitiser is. I go at the pump expecting it to be thicker like a soap, but end up hitting it too hard and it just ends up everywhere. It's like "Welp, at least my trousers are disinfected now..."

WAT

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

if you’re going to require that everyone uses hand sanitizer before shopping, don’t loving put out the most perfumey garbage you can find. i’ve washed my hands like 5-6 times and i can still smell it. just go scent free for gently caress’s sake. horrible

I will take perfumey hand sanitizer any day over the cheap-rear end poo poo that smells like rancid tequila.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I work at a store that carries hand sanitizer (along with other products, of course). Lately, we've been getting lavender-scented stuff more than anything else we've ordered. I don't dislike lavender, in small doses. Since it's the scent that we have the most of, it's the one we pull for customer and employee use, which means I smell lavender for half the goddamn day.

Also, I've worked at that store for years, we sell a bunch of lavender-scented products (soaps, lotions, hand sanitizer), and I still want to write "lavendar" half the time. I noticed that at least one of the price tags was spelled that way (until I corrected it), so somebody else in the company has the same problem.

Lavender is my pet peeve right now.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Oct 25, 2020

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

King of Foolians posted:

I will take perfumey hand sanitizer any day over the cheap-rear end poo poo that smells like rancid tequila.
I hate that I always forget which stores have the disgusting poo poo at the checkout until it's too late. "Better have a pump of hand sanitiz--poo poo poo poo poo poo Walgreens has the goddamn stank-rear end stuff arrrrrgh"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Online services keep sending me “free month” offers when they know full well that I’ve been a customer before and therefore don’t qualify for the free month.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

docbeard posted:

I used to live in a building where if you didn't come to one specific entrance (out of four or five) you had equal chances of finding your way to the Magic Kingdom of Narnia as to my apartment. So I put elaborate directions in (as much as I could with the 8 characters I'm allowed to use for directions in whichever app) and occasionally the drivers even read and followed them...

Try Wells Fargo Place in St. Paul. It makes so little sense that you need a guide. It's almost like a mall on the lower floors and the offices are in the tower. You need door and elevator codes all over the place and parking makes no sense. If you park in the ramp, you end up walking by an indoor bar that appears to have no normal access. If you walk outside, you can't get back in. You have to walk around inside until you find the security desk and they'll show you where to go. They can't describe it to you. They literally have to walk you there. You get lost leaving too. You can't find the right entrance or exit.
I never saw Wells Fargo when I was there. The main entrance puts you in by a Subway restaurant. How does that even work. Eventually you just sort of have to cry. You get so turned around and frustrated.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"Yea" and "yeah" are not homophones. When people write the former (which rhymes with "day") meaning the latter (which... does not), it drives me nuts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

"Yea" and "yeah" are not homophones. When people write the former (which rhymes with "day") meaning the latter (which... does not), it drives me nuts.

That drives me nuts on the same level as people being unable to differentiate between “wary” and “weary”.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

counterpoint: 'yea' is 'yeah' but when i give less of a poo poo

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I don't mind "yea" because I read everything after it in an over the top Shakespearean accent, which usually improves things.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mostlygray posted:

Try Wells Fargo Place in St. Paul. It makes so little sense that you need a guide. It's almost like a mall on the lower floors and the offices are in the tower. You need door and elevator codes all over the place and parking makes no sense. If you park in the ramp, you end up walking by an indoor bar that appears to have no normal access. If you walk outside, you can't get back in. You have to walk around inside until you find the security desk and they'll show you where to go. They can't describe it to you. They literally have to walk you there. You get lost leaving too. You can't find the right entrance or exit.
I never saw Wells Fargo when I was there. The main entrance puts you in by a Subway restaurant. How does that even work. Eventually you just sort of have to cry. You get so turned around and frustrated.

'We aren't an office, Mr Smith. We're an idea. Can you kill an idea?'

I used to have professional exams in a great building in London. It looked like a slightly tatty, old but expensive hotel inside, all fake marble, polished brass fittings, dingy red carpet. And it just has. no. rooms.

The whole place is endless empty staircases, lifts and corridors, until after going up three floors and back down two you come to a little waiting area with some exam rooms, nesting inside this absurd labyrinth.

Don't think I ever managed to come out through the same door I went in.

It was one of the London Wall buildings if anyone knows the area.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Killingyouguy! posted:

counterpoint: 'yea' is 'yeah' but when i give less of a poo poo

ya: I already knew that and your point is obvious, please shut up
yea: That was pointless to say and wrong but I'm too tired to explain why, please shut up
yeah: You're right but just talking to hear yourself at this point, please shut up
Yeah: Really now we're all done with this topic, and you write several paragraphs? Shut up. Please.
Yeah!: Maybe if I enthusiastically agree with you, you'll get a flood of happy hormones and SHUT UP! Please?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the worst time in fashion was around 2008-2009 when you simply couldnt find normal crewneck sweaters for men. i remember going into 6 different stores to look for one but they all had to have a v-neck, buttons, a zipper, a turtleneck, be made of weird wool and have patches, or some other poo poo. the normal fleece crewneck sweater went almost extinct for a while and i hated it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

ya: I already knew that and your point is obvious, please shut up
yea: That was pointless to say and wrong but I'm too tired to explain why, please shut up
yeah: You're right but just talking to hear yourself at this point, please shut up
Yeah: Really now we're all done with this topic, and you write several paragraphs? Shut up. Please.
Yeah!: Maybe if I enthusiastically agree with you, you'll get a flood of happy hormones and SHUT UP! Please?

yeahhhhh: agreeing with you and i wish i didn't
yeaaaaah: sarcasm, joking

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
:yeah:-I agree with the quoted post

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Same. Also "make due". That doesn't even make sense!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Same. Also "make due". That doesn't even make sense!
Without further adieu...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mine is wail, used to mean "to hit or beat." It's whale. You whale on someone, meaning you beat them up. Wail is screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Silver Falcon posted:

Mine is wail, used to mean "to hit or beat." It's whale. You whale on someone, meaning you beat them up. Wail is screaming.

Whale is the big fish, Whail is beating people

E: after a five second google it turns out whail isn't a word and whale is in fact both the marine animal and a whoopin'

Danaru has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Oct 26, 2020