Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

TeaJay posted:

Speaking of the new miniboss in the chasm between ice caves and mines it feels like he's completely overpowered to the level I'm usually at that point. I even got a pretty good fast-shooting wand with magic arrows and was doing like 1-2 damage to him and barely dented his health bar when he pulverized me with one nuke. I generally do not have an end game capable wand at that point and he definitely seems like he needs very good one to kill with.

I've been able to escape him every time by jumping on the two floating rocks and then up the side until I reach the bridge. Granted so far it's only been half a dozen times I've tried since 1.0.

Maybe I've just been lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so the vast majority of regular runs end in area 1 or 2, right, because jesus

why do those fly things have so much lavablood

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

so the vast majority of regular runs end in area 1 or 2, right, because jesus

why do those fly things have so much lavablood

They're fireflies! :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ngl, worms give me the willies real fuckin bad :(

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They're fireflies! :v:

Speaking of the mighty pikkutulikärpäset, I adore the enemy names in the game even as someone who usually finds Finnish in video games kind of awkward-sounding.

My favorite is "Kiukkumöykky" which is just a beautiful word all around, and also doubles as an apt description of myself after yet another amazing run goes sideways due to some dumb mistake.

ChestNut
Oct 20, 2009

You want some tablets?

Kanfy posted:

Speaking of the mighty pikkutulikärpäset, I adore the enemy names in the game even as someone who usually finds Finnish in video games kind of awkward-sounding.

My favorite is "Kiukkumöykky" which is just a beautiful word all around, and also doubles as an apt description of myself after yet another amazing run goes sideways due to some dumb mistake.

Adding a pro·nun·ci·a·tion info to those lovely Finnish words could be nice? :confuoot: I go crazy for the lore, but look away in terror when attempting to read (dumbdumb is me)

I feel like a shaman baller when certain environmental accidents go exactly my way though :cool:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Finally got my first W! Had one VERY bad scare when I cleared out an area of the Jungle to do some tinkering and an enemy must have picked up some loving wand from hell that shot rapid, homing tanks of the freezing gas from Hisii base at me . Thankfully they didn't explode and just piled up around me but good lord that's a scary thing to happen from offscreen

edit: drat my wand had always cast lava to blood on it too, I really should have gone and checked out Hell. Oh well!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 24, 2020

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wish i could survive long enough to get a hosed up wand like that

I have the one win months back, but i have just been getting slapped since 1.0 :gibs:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

it can support even more bullshit but I only found 1 concentrated light and didn't have explosion immunity to not kill myself with the pile of pinpoint of lights the game kept spamming me with

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CodfishCartographer posted:

I suppose I should re-word my previous hiisi base statement to be more in line with what I was trying to say: it's fully possible to beat hiisi base (and the whole game for that matter) with basic no-frills wands. However, it will be generally very slow and not very fun. I remember a while back in this thread someone posted a video clearing hiisi base with just spark bolt on the starting bomb wand, and a lot of the thread consensus was "yeah it's possible, but boy does that look boring and tedious"

Also I was more lamenting the fact that the game's pacing kind of works against the urge to create crazy unique wands. I always would love to do some bullshit like creating a cloud of electrified exploding booze when the spark bolt i fired lands, but by the time I'm lucky enough to get all that stuff together the game is more or less at the "okay, you need a REAL wand now, or it's going to be slow going" stage.

I'll also fully admit maybe I'm just bad at making wands and can't find a way to make reliable high-damage wands without trigger-multicast or chainsaws. I'd love for someone to explain how to make great wands that can reliably clear late-game levels that don't rely on those gimmicks.

Mana + Ping Pong Path + Luminous Drill

On a fast use wand. Throw in whatever other modifier you like. Freeze is really great.

You end up getting a lightsaber the size of the screen.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The mods I use are Tinker Wands Anywhere, and a couple others that make ALL items glow like wands when obscured by fog of war. Health, chests, yahta yahta.

There’s a lot less “explore every nook and cranny” and more “how the gently caress am I getting over there?”

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 24, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

Mana + Ping Pong Path + Luminous Drill

On a fast use wand. Throw in whatever other modifier you like. Freeze is really great.

You end up getting a lightsaber the size of the screen.

That sounds rad as hell! Ping pong path seems a bit too rare for that to be super reliable though.

After a few more runs of being much more liberal with limit-use spells, I will take back part of what I said - they are fairly useful if you get multiple of the same one!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Angry ghost, Berserkium + hey maybe I'll just switch to my bomb wand to blast through this small barrier.

I'm never gonna get a win.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
otoh throw an explosion resistance on that one and that's a quick way to clear a floor, I guess.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I wonder if that little guy will shoot heal pellet while berserked. That'd be a cool combo.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

emanresu tnuocca posted:

otoh throw an explosion resistance on that one and that's a quick way to clear a floor, I guess.

It's my dream to find explosion immunity + angry ghost + nuke

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Don't cast Personal Lightning Thrower on the target dummy statue in the holy mountain exit

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey, if we’re posting don’ts, or Noitan’ts as I call them: don’t put a bunch of music on an always-cast-blackhole supercharged hack wand and throw a Random at the start thinking it’ll pick a random note

I don’t even have a gif but it was fast mayhem right up until the end.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

How does the music stuff work? I've never really messed with it

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I guess you note the spell arrangement when you find them and then there’s a place you can go and decode a message that tells you how to play them to unlock a thing.

ORRRRR, you load them up to make a nifty song of your own and ignore the rest of it. Multi-cast modifiers totally work, for extra fun!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I guess you note the spell arrangement when you find them and then there’s a place you can go and decode a message that tells you how to play them to unlock a thing.

ORRRRR, you load them up to make a nifty song of your own and ignore the rest of it. Multi-cast modifiers totally work, for extra fun!

The 2 instruments have 4 songs each that do things, 3 of them summon dumb crap (such as a holy hand grenade) and the other one makes a portal to exploration fun stuff.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah yeah cool, or the thing I said, just f around making silly songs forever

e: Add them to other wands to augment your aesthetic

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not sure why every run is ending up with concentrated light hoses but I'm not complaining

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Been playing for about 20 hours and just got past the jungle for the first time and all the way through to the Temple of the Art with this thing:

It was just wrecking everything totally, it made ludicrously short work of Stevari, twice.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lol that wand I just posted broke the sound engine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Shoutouts to the Dragon for having this silly thing:

Why yes, 20 nukes is a completely proportionate response to anything. Except I had unlimited spells so I really only needed, like, eight of them, maybe.

It's gonna take me awhile to get used to the swapped potion use buttons. The new control scheme is objectively correct but my reflexes are baked in pretty hard, apparently.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shoutouts to the Dragon for having this silly thing:

Why yes, 20 nukes is a completely proportionate response to anything. Except I had unlimited spells so I really only needed, like, eight of them, maybe.

It's gonna take me awhile to get used to the swapped potion use buttons. The new control scheme is objectively correct but my reflexes are baked in pretty hard, apparently.

The swap still wasn't enough so I moved yeet potion to a dedicated key.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I have made two key discoveries today!

One: Concentrated Mana + Water = More Concentrated Mana! Discovered that one completely by accident, and is especially useful since water is plentiful and Concentrated Mana can melt steel beams.

Two: Giga Black Hole functions completely differently than Black Hole. Do not mistake the two.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This thread is crackup because it reminds me there's like 90% of the game that I don't even know about it's so far over my head. I basically just run around trying to light things on fire :downsgun:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Krysmphoenix posted:

Two: Giga Black Hole functions completely differently than Black Hole. Do not mistake the two.
feel free to mistake the two if you feel like getting killed by random pieces of background spinning around at 200mph
https://i.imgur.com/GWn3QG6.mp4

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

wish i could survive long enough to get a hosed up wand like that

I have the one win months back, but i have just been getting slapped since 1.0 :gibs:

I got a win on my first 1.0 run, but I had everything for a homing mist wand by the end of the ice caves and that build is still so overpowered it's basically god mode.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 25, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

I got a win on my first 1.0 run, but I had everything for a homing mist wand by the end of the ice caves and that build is still so overpowered it's basically god mode.

Still so proud of the wand I made once that was

spark bolt with trigger -> faster shot speed -> extra shot duration -> homing shot -> matter eater shot -> giant explosion on slimed enemies -> slime mist

I did not have explosion immunity, so it was incredibly dangerous to be anywhere near enemies with it, but watching it zip around through walls to explode everything nearby was a thing of beauty.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Still so proud of the wand I made once that was

spark bolt with trigger -> faster shot speed -> extra shot duration -> homing shot -> matter eater shot -> giant explosion on slimed enemies -> slime mist

I did not have explosion immunity, so it was incredibly dangerous to be anywhere near enemies with it, but watching it zip around through walls to explode everything nearby was a thing of beauty.

Yeah, this was basically Homing perk, and a wand that was spark bolt with trigger -> damage aura -> damage plus -> triple split -> slime mist -> slime mist -> slime mist. It just flies around and melts everything. Then as the run went on and I got a better wand, I just piled on poo poo like heavy shot and more mana and more mists. And eventually got slime blood so I wasn't moving at half speed. The only thing that can really screw me on a mist build is either those reflecting assholes or if I get too careless and get poly-ed somehow.

I should have looped back up and gone NG+ or gone east/west world because I really haven't had a run that easy since.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Krysmphoenix posted:

Multiple times now I've gotten giga black hole, decided to use it to purposely anger the gods and kill Stevari for a sweet $1k+, then done so and gotten just a little too close to the black hole trying to get the gold he drops before it sucks it up. You'd think I'd learn but no I'm going to do it again next time

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Is there a comprehensive list of the new enemies? I've seen a fair few of new guys and I always like seeing their art (when they're not blowing me to pieces). Those flying toasters can get hosed though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just found the 'Summon Taikasuva' spell, should I cast this or will this kill me?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yes

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, that one didn't kill me, falling into a plasma beam after I unnecessarily panicked did.

The summoned wand didn't help a lot as it died to the falling debris in the holy mountain. yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
adding lightning arcs without being explosion and lightning immune is always such a great idea.