Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sekenr posted:

Can somebody explain to me why in the name of gently caress does EU shutting down nuclear power stations? How is this win for anyone? What is it to be proud of? They produce 0 carbon emissions, how is this helping anybody? Coal burning plants function as normal how is this even a slightest move towards better future

It's mostly Germany+Austria yelling at anyone who even considers putting the n-word in their energy strategy and launching court challenges against nuclear projects which have no hope of going anywhere but make the government look good in the national press. France+Poland+assorted other countries that would like to have some reactors bitch right back at them. The main EU level result of this bickering is that nuclear doesn't get subsidised through EU clean energy funds so nuclear friendly governments have to individually provide subsidies and can't just handwave it away as "who cares it's free EU money".

Premature nuclear reactor shutdowns are national level issues so feel free to tell Germany specifically to get hosed we deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Get hosed Germany

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Fun fact: people bitching about nuclear out of misguided environmental concerns is precisely why Euratom is the one European Community that hasn't been fully folded in the EU so as to not be subject to the European Parliament.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Honestly, you have to somewhat sympathize with the German position on nuclear energy. It did not originate from 'science bad', but from two other sources: first, the opposition to the nuclear arms race and industries that might facilitate it. Second, a deep-seated distrust of the state and its institutions.

This stems from the learned experience that the state and its institutions will not protect or inform its citizens. Imperial Germany, the Weimar republic, The Third Reich, and the German Democratic Republic all sold out their citizens rather than fixing economical, health, political, or other public crises, to the point of bringing half the planet to the brink of annihilation. If the state has to choose between protecting an institution or an industry vs. protecting individuals, it will without fail always pick the institution. More on topic, Germany's own track record with the nuclear industry was less than stellar in the best of times, what with nuclear arms sitting on American bases essentially unguarded, and totally-safe-and-controlled-only-for-nonprofit-research site Asse turning into an unmitigated financial and environmental disaster - without even profit as an excuse since it was a public enterprise.

It does not help that in Chernobyl, the unthinkable accident did actually happen, and when it did, the responsible states all acted exactly in a way that confirmed the existing distrust.

Nuclear energy is poisoned in Germany because while as a technology it is absolutely elegant and can be made safe, no one trusts the regulators and companies to not poo poo the bed and cause catastrophe through indifference at best and corruption at worst. This distrust is learned and confirmed repeatedly over the generations and frankly I'm surprised that it's only Germany that has it.

That all set aside, when Germany decided to leave nuclear power behind, they shouldn't have put the load on coal. Since they were doing a dramatic policy change anyway, they might as well have gone one step further and started a massive transition from nuclear to renewable. Now that enormous momentum is lost, and they'll be rolling coal for years until they're weaned off it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so the germans, while perfectly happy to let state agencies see every communication made online and corporations govern every aspect of their lives, think that nuclear energy is inherently totalitarian

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^ I don't think anybody is arguing that it's coherent.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

so the germans, while perfectly happy to let state agencies see every communication made online and corporations govern every aspect of their lives, think that nuclear energy is inherently totalitarian

I.. what? the germans are some of the most privacy-aware people I've ever met

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
To me, it feels like there are some weird blind spots in the culture for that, like having your packages handed over to random neighbors if you're not home, or everyone's last names being on the front of their apartment building.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

To me, it feels like there are some weird blind spots in the culture for that, like having your packages handed over to random neighbors if you're not home, or everyone's last names being on the front of their apartment building.

That's called having trust. I can't even imagine living in a place where your neighbors are such huge assholes you wouldn't be able to trust them with your packages.

Also, :lol: no last names on your building? How the gently caress functions the mail system in your country? Are your mail men supposed to find the right address by telepathy? :allears:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Libluini posted:

That's called having trust. I can't even imagine living in a place where your neighbors are such huge assholes you wouldn't be able to trust them with your packages.

Also, :lol: no last names on your building? How the gently caress functions the mail system in your country? Are your mail men supposed to find the right address by telepathy? :allears:

I think one uses numbers, in general.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think one uses numbers, in general.

House numbers? That wouldn't work with more than one family per building.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Why wouldn't you trust a neighbour with a package? Like...wha?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Libluini posted:

You know, those doors seperating one family from another? Or do german apartment buildings have everyone live in one giant room.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lord Stimperor posted:

Honestly, you have to somewhat sympathize with the German position on nuclear energy.

I don't.

See, Germany did not have a nuclear waste treatment plant. (Plans to make one were canned in 1979.) So they sent them to France for reprocessing, but the deal is that while France would condition the waste for long-term storage, it would not keep them.

So there were trains bringing nuclear waste from Germany to France, and then trains bringing back processed German waste from France to Germany.

Guess which trains the German Greenpeace activists were blocking.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You know, those doors seperating one family from another? Or do german apartment buildings have everyone live in one giant room.

You're talking about apartment numbers, right? I just remembered that there some weird places where families have to add an additional number to their address, because their house is some sort of super-confusing mess. Funnily enough, over here people then still add their last name just to make sure the mail can find them. :v:

Extrapolating from that, I assume you guys live in some odd, alien place where people hate each other so much they remove the names and just leave the numbers on?

How do you interact with people in other countries, with less SkyNet-like mail systems? Are you just thinking how weird it is that this dude on eBay you sold something to puts his full name to his address? Are there cases where people from your part of the world forget not everyone is living on a machine planet and they just forget to add a name when sending mail to a real human country?

Getting your nose thumped with how strange other cultures can be is fascinating, though. Didn't expect something as universal as mail could be so different! I have send and received mail from multiple different countries over the years and never saw anything different from how we do things.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Libluini posted:

You're talking about apartment numbers, right? I just remembered that there some weird places where families have to add an additional number to their address, because their house is some sort of super-confusing mess. Funnily enough, over here people then still add their last name just to make sure the mail can find them. :v:

Extrapolating from that, I assume you guys live in some odd, alien place where people hate each other so much they remove the names and just leave the numbers on?

How do you interact with people in other countries, with less SkyNet-like mail systems? Are you just thinking how weird it is that this dude on eBay you sold something to puts his full name to his address? Are there cases where people from your part of the world forget not everyone is living on a machine planet and they just forget to add a name when sending mail to a real human country?

Getting your nose thumped with how strange other cultures can be is fascinating, though. Didn't expect something as universal as mail could be so different! I have send and received mail from multiple different countries over the years and never saw anything different from how we do things.

Sure, names go on post. But it's to indicate which member of a household a letter/parcel is for, not to help find the household in the first place. There's no master list of names of people in a block of flats others can refer to, and post is directed by number not by name. You'll only know your neigbours names if you actually try and talk to them. In single person households putting a name on the delivery is just vestigial, like billing addresses for online purchases. It's not actually required or useful but done out of habit.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

An insane mind posted:

Italian here, I would not trust anyone outside the building's doorman/custodian.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sure, names go on post. But it's to indicate which member of a household a letter/parcel is for, not to help find the household in the first place. There's no master list of names of people in a block of flats others can refer to, and post is directed by number not by name. You'll only know your neighbors names if you actually try and talk to them. In single person households putting a name on the delivery is just vestigial, like billing addresses for online purchases. It's not actually required or useful but done out of habit.

That's an interesting view into an alien culture!

If you leave your names off over here, there's a near 100% chance your mail will disappear into some kind of postal limbo and arrive back at the starting point after a couple weeks. Regardless of how many numbers you put on there. (Hell, if you leave off your own name, your package is basically gone for good. Hopefully you invested in some tracking, because then the carrier can at least send your package back home eventually!)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

An insane mind posted:

A delivery guy called to let me know he dropped off my package in front of my apartments door while I was at work. I don't know how he got past our building's door, but I just hoped to find my package when I got home several hours later.

Of course, the 100 euro amount of stuff that I had ordered was not there when I got back. Few moments later our next door neighbor told me he had taken in the box just in case.

We don't get along along, but they're nice enough and I'm happy that he took the initiative to do what he had done.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

A delivery guy called to let me know he dropped off my package in front of my apartments door while I was at work. I don't know how he got past our building's door, but I just hoped to find my package when I got home several hours later.

Of course, the 100 euro amount of stuff that I had ordered was not there when I got back. Few moments later our next door neighbor told me he had taken in the box just in case.

We don't get along along, but they're nice enough and I'm happy that he took the initiative to do what he had done.

Similar thing happened to me, except it was the neighbor who insisted that they've never seen the package and the delivery company telling me someone like them took it.

I did get a free replacement from Amazon to be fair.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think I have even seen my neighbors at my current apartment let alone know them, why would I want someone to leave my packages to them

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Lord Stimperor posted:

That all set aside, when Germany decided to leave nuclear power behind, they shouldn't have put the load on coal. Since they were doing a dramatic policy change anyway, they might as well have gone one step further and started a massive transition from nuclear to renewable. Now that enormous momentum is lost, and they'll be rolling coal for years until they're weaned off it.

This is how the energy mix in Germany has developed over the last two decades (renewables made up about 40 percent of power generation in 2019, from less than 10 % in 2000, coal has gone from 60 to 35 % in the same time-frame and is planned to be faded out completely until 2038):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Libluini posted:

If you leave your names off over here, there's a near 100% chance your mail will disappear into some kind of postal limbo and arrive back at the starting point after a couple weeks. Regardless of how many numbers you put on there. (Hell, if you leave off your own name, your package is basically gone for good. Hopefully you invested in some tracking, because then the carrier can at least send your package back home eventually!)

In the UK, all you need to get stuff delivered is a postcode and a house/flat number, and it would probably get to the right address. The other info is useful, but not absolutely required, although you have an increased chance of the postie deliving to the wrong address by mistake.

Also yea I'd trust my neighbours to hold a parcel but not leave it out.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

goethe42 posted:

This is how the energy mix in Germany has developed over the last two decades (renewables made up about 40 percent of power generation in 2019, from less than 10 % in 2000, coal has gone from 60 to 35 % in the same time-frame and is planned to be faded out completely until 2038):

this hardly paints the entire picture though, because
1. electricity got real expensive real quick once renewables started to become a significant percentage of the power grid, because now germany has to buy power from their neighbours (mostly france) when they're short, and at times has to pay their neighbours to take their power when wind/solar outputs are too high because you can't really control sun/wind all that well.

obviously expensive electricity isn't a problem in itself, getting rid of fossil fuels is extremely urgent for survival of civilization, but

2. due to electricity being expensive, some private properties (especially heavy power hungry industries, but sometimes smaller stuff too), have started installing their own natgas because they're cheaper than grid electricity :psyduck::capitalism:

also as an aside, there's been a recent study into natgas, and replacing coal with natgas is worse for GHG emissions unless you intend to run said natgas power for more than 20 years. we need to be off of fossil fuels almost completely in about 10 lmao

e:
study says leakage is somewhere between 3.6 and 7% so if you take the best case scenario it's 20 years lol

Andrast posted:

I don't think I have even seen my neighbors at my current apartment let alone know them, why would I want someone to leave my packages to them

classic capitalist alienation

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 25, 2020

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

An insane mind posted:

Because sometimes the 'neighbor' is a random person across the street you've never even met before? How does the delivery person know you trust everyone in your general vicinity?

Sure obviously it mostly works, it just seems like a weird presumption that leaving packages for people with random unverified others in their area is universally acceptable.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 25, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Truga posted:

I think it's just me being Finnish

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Libluini posted:

Have you never been to other countries before or something? Plenty of places just use a number or letter to designate units within a complex.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

I think it's just me being Finnish

yeah that's fair

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Libluini posted:

Are you really this ignorant, or so dense to imagine how it could work otherwise? Many countries (in the EU as well) do not use names in doorbells. We use floor numbers, eg. in Portugal we would have something like street + number + floor + additional letter (for multiple people in the same floor). It is not complicated at all, no need to have names plastered anywhere.

Edit: beaten.
Also, I wonder how many countries use the names on doorbells thing. Austria + Germany?

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 25, 2020

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm sorry, I guess I'm just naive and trust easily. When the postman has a package for a neighbour that's not home I always take it into my care and pop by later that day to hand it over. And I easily accept that others would do the same :shrug:

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Truga posted:

this hardly paints the entire picture though, because
1. electricity got real expensive real quick once renewables started to become a significant percentage of the power grid, because now germany has to buy power from their neighbours (mostly france) when they're short, and at times has to pay their neighbours to take their power when wind/solar outputs are too high because you can't really control sun/wind all that well.

obviously expensive electricity isn't a problem in itself, getting rid of fossil fuels is extremely urgent for survival of civilization, but

2. due to electricity being expensive, some private properties (especially heavy power hungry industries, but sometimes smaller stuff too), have started installing their own natgas because they're cheaper than grid electricity :psyduck::capitalism:

also as an aside, there's been a recent study into natgas, and replacing coal with natgas is worse for GHG emissions unless you intend to run said natgas power for more than 20 years. we need to be off of fossil fuels almost completely in about 10 lmao

e:
study says leakage is somewhere between 3.6 and 7% so if you take the best case scenario it's 20 years lol

I was just fact-checking the goon myth that Germany is replacing nuclear with coal, I'm not saying there aren't any flaws in the plan.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Libluini posted:

Libluini posted:

Libluini posted:

rofl

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

goethe42 posted:

I was just fact-checking the goon myth that Germany is replacing nuclear with coal, I'm not saying there aren't any flaws in the plan.

yeah to be clear, germany is head and shoulders above probably everyone in EU except maybe france/austria with their giant nukular/hydro sectors? the joke is, it's still not enough lmao

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Also, I wonder how many countries use the names on doorbells thing. Austria + Germany?

it's pretty ubiquitous on the balkans in my experience, also i know for a fact japan has names on houses/bells

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Libluini posted:

Jesus Christ, hahahahahaha

It's like Americans who are all "making cars optional in a society? Okay fine for single people, but what about anyone with kids :smug:"

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

This address derail is fascinating, it's like a discussion I'd have with my mother when she feels especially Boomer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm told the Germans are a hivelike people, the only things they do alone are go to the toilet and commit suicide. (and sometimes not even that)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Truga posted:

yeah to be clear, germany is head and shoulders above probably everyone in EU except maybe france/austria with their giant nukular/hydro sectors? the joke is, it's still not enough lmao
Did they make up for a lot the last two years?

or are we talking about different things?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

Honestly, you have to somewhat sympathize with the German position on nuclear energy. It did not originate from 'science bad', but from two other sources: first, the opposition to the nuclear arms race and industries that might facilitate it. Second, a deep-seated distrust of the state and its institutions.

This stems from the learned experience that the state and its institutions will not protect or inform its citizens. Imperial Germany, the Weimar republic, The Third Reich, and the German Democratic Republic all sold out their citizens rather than fixing economical, health, political, or other public crises, to the point of bringing half the planet to the brink of annihilation. If the state has to choose between protecting an institution or an industry vs. protecting individuals, it will without fail always pick the institution. More on topic, Germany's own track record with the nuclear industry was less than stellar in the best of times, what with nuclear arms sitting on American bases essentially unguarded, and totally-safe-and-controlled-only-for-nonprofit-research site Asse turning into an unmitigated financial and environmental disaster - without even profit as an excuse since it was a public enterprise.

It does not help that in Chernobyl, the unthinkable accident did actually happen, and when it did, the responsible states all acted exactly in a way that confirmed the existing distrust.

Nuclear energy is poisoned in Germany because while as a technology it is absolutely elegant and can be made safe, no one trusts the regulators and companies to not poo poo the bed and cause catastrophe through indifference at best and corruption at worst. This distrust is learned and confirmed repeatedly over the generations and frankly I'm surprised that it's only Germany that has it.

Yeah ok but nobody* cares about mismanagement and scandals in other industries than nuclear enough to want to do anything about it even when those industries kill more people than nuclear, see eg Volkswagen. On top of that even after the civilian nuclear exit nobody* is telling the Muricans to station their bombs somewhere else (the majority of the population kind of wants the things to go away but not enough to affect voting behaviour or get them out on the street).

*except about half a dozen of the most hardcore greens and commies

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 25, 2020

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did they make up for a lot the last two years?

on paper enough to technically meet the stated goals but that's just because a bunch of energy demand (probably only temporarily) shut down due to covid so now we get to pretend we made sudden progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

orange sky posted:

I.. what? the germans are some of the most privacy-aware people I've ever met

yeah but most of the really strict data protection rules we used to have got weakened into oblivion so now Germany has data protection on the same level as the rest of the EU because the GDPR sets limits on how low we can go :lol: