Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Arena is probably the best of these

Savage Curtain is below that

Then you have things like Bread and Circuses and The Gamesters of Triskelion.

Despite its cheesiness - the really fake Gorn suit, the fighting scenes - Arena is actually a really good episode. I like how it shows that Kirk is wrong and that he gradually realizes he's wrong as he interacts with the Gorn captain. That seems fairly unprecedented for '60s sci-fi TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cross post from the GBS Trek thread. I made this and some other goony shirts a couple nights ago if anyone wants to support a fellow dork.

https://teespring.com/starfleet-deserved-wolf-359?edit=1&pid=369&cid=6512

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The point of Savage Curtain is quite different from Arena. It’s about how we define ourselves in relation to our heroes. The Lincoln of the story is just Kirk’s projection of what Abe would be like. What Kirk imagines is acted out by him. It’s quite revealing of Kirk’s character. There’s a similar but lesser effect with (Spock’s notion of) Surak, willingly walking off to get martyred: it shows you what Spock holds as the ideal of his society. It’s character building stuff. The actual plot mechanics to get there are fairly lame compared to Arena.

Bread and Circuses has a snarky meta point to make about the use of fighting scenes as a cheap way to draw attention on a tv show, but otherwise isn’t what I would call a “message episode”.

Gamesters is goofy and fairly poo poo. Mostly memorable for its kink/creep factor

e: Amok Time is another big “I was forced to fight by an alien!!!” episode

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 26, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love Bread & Circuses but I can’t articulate exactly why. I think it’s mostly just because it’s a far more entertaining use of the “parallel earths” poo poo than Nazi Planet, Gangster Planet, or Cold War Allegory Planet.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love Bread & Circuses but I can’t articulate exactly why. I think it’s mostly just because it’s a far more entertaining use of the “parallel earths” poo poo than Nazi Planet, Gangster Planet, or Cold War Allegory Planet.

The satire of tv is fairly funny which helps. Also the utter screwball ending which is never discussed in anything again

Gangster Planet is a good episode in the dumb fun category. If you don’t find the idea of Spock pretending to be a mobster innately funny then it won’t do too much for you. Nazi Planet is a bore episode with one good line. I can’t even think which Cold War Allegory Planet you mean since they did that one a couple times.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

skasion posted:

The satire of tv is fairly funny which helps. Also the utter screwball ending which is never discussed in anything again

Gangster Planet is a good episode in the dumb fun category. If you don’t find the idea of Spock pretending to be a mobster innately funny then it won’t do too much for you. Nazi Planet is a bore episode with one good line. I can’t even think which Cold War Allegory Planet you mean since they did that one a couple times.

I meant The Omega Glory (I think?), the one where Kirk reads the Constitution.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
In terms of Cold War allegory planet, Vietnam planet was good, magic Constitution planet was bad.

Arena is interesting because the Frederic Brown short story it's based on is pretty much the reverse of the episode. In it, Earth is under attack by these enemies called Rollers, who are basically these tentacled blobs. This other race of super advanced aliens grabs a scout pilot and says, "We've figured out this war will destroy one of your species and damage the other so badly, it will never evolve to our level, so we're taking you and a Roller to fight in single combat, and we'll destroy the loser's species. Ultimately, he wins, the Rollers are destroyed and earth is saved. There's no sparing the enemy, there's no communication (the human tries, but the alien is so filled with hatred, he cant), and no twist ending.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I didn't care for A Piece of the Action

Mainly because Kirk and Spock kept trying to negotiate in good faith with the gangsters and they would get double crossed. Repeat at least 3 times.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I didn't care for A Piece of the Action

Mainly because Kirk and Spock kept trying to negotiate in good faith with the gangsters and they would get double crossed. Repeat at least 3 times.

In response to which, they end up stunning a city block from orbit with their fancy heaters, and then completly takin' over the joint. It's good campy fun.

It's always been a favorite, although I admit it's not exactly heavy on message or moral.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Epicurius posted:

In terms of Cold War allegory planet, Vietnam planet was good, magic Constitution planet was bad.

Arena is interesting because the Frederic Brown short story it's based on is pretty much the reverse of the episode. In it, Earth is under attack by these enemies called Rollers, who are basically these tentacled blobs. This other race of super advanced aliens grabs a scout pilot and says, "We've figured out this war will destroy one of your species and damage the other so badly, it will never evolve to our level, so we're taking you and a Roller to fight in single combat, and we'll destroy the loser's species. Ultimately, he wins, the Rollers are destroyed and earth is saved. There's no sparing the enemy, there's no communication (the human tries, but the alien is so filled with hatred, he cant), and no twist ending.

Classic science fiction was disturbingly quick to resolve conflicts through genocide.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

In response to which, they end up stunning a city block from orbit with their fancy heaters, and then completly takin' over the joint. It's good campy fun.

It's always been a favorite, although I admit it's not exactly heavy on message or moral.
Yes after the third time that they get screwed over by the gangsters

I get that they didn't want to interfere and make things worse, but that ship had sailed

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Another point in favor of Savage Curtain is Col. Green. It was a neat choice to make one of Earth's "historical villains" be someone from the future and not take the easy way out and show someone a 60s viewer would know. Gives some depth to the future setting even if it is typical Trek "familiar thing, familiar thing, future and/or alien thing" listmaking. It was also bold to make him an American and the most modern one of the fake people that could try to appeal to Kirk as an equal.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I didn't really like A Piece Of The Action either. It's another case where it's more fun to remember than to actually watch. A few clips of Kirk & Spock acting like gangsters and I'm set.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Astroman posted:

Another point in favor of Savage Curtain is Col. Green. It was a neat choice to make one of Earth's "historical villains" be someone from the future and not take the easy way out and show someone a 60s viewer would know. Gives some depth to the future setting even if it is typical Trek "familiar thing, familiar thing, future and/or alien thing" listmaking. It was also bold to make him an American and the most modern one of the fake people that could try to appeal to Kirk as an equal.
Yes and I totally forgot that he shows up in a recording in an Enterprise episode

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The Royal Mail in the UK are doing special Star Trek stamps.

This is Robert Picardo erasure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ash?

Of all characters... Ash?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

MikeJF posted:

Ash?

Of all characters... Ash?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh Shazad Latif is British. It's all the main characters plus all the British actors.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

MikeJF posted:

Oh Shazad Latif is British. It's all the main characters plus all the British actors.

Leonard Nimoy is not British??

edit: did you quick edit that from captains or did I just slip into a parallel universe?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

V-Men posted:

edit: did you quick edit that from captains or did I just slip into a parallel universe?

pretty sure there was a quick edit.

Burnham is also not a captain and not british, whereas Lorca is played by a brit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

V-Men posted:

I quick edited because I forgot about Michael being main while not being Captain.

Nimoy totally counts as a captain/main though. Suck it Shatner.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

What is this Saru erasure

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

What is this Saru erasure

Can’t put an alien looking alien on a stamp. Better put the literal bad guy of the first season on there.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kibayasu posted:

Can’t put an alien looking alien on a stamp. Better put the literal bad guy of the first season on there.

That's a terrible thing to say about Burnham.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The idea that all the miserable characters from Disco will be on merch forever because the show had Star Trek in the name is a lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

STAR TREK

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The idea that all the miserable characters from Disco will be on merch forever because the show had Star Trek in the name is a lol

Same but all the stupid poo poo in Lower Decks becoming official Canon and painstakingly recorded on Memory Alpha

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Michael Burnham Halloween masks with real crying tear action

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tighclops posted:

Michael Burnham Halloween masks with real crying tear action
They will never produce enough tears to match the genuine article

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When I was a kid my mom made me a red angel costume like in Star Trek and I showed all my friends on zoom

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Star Trek may outlast the USPS.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

multijoe posted:

Same but all the stupid poo poo in Lower Decks becoming official Canon and painstakingly recorded on Memory Alpha

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I'm glad they keep loving with the canon. The detail-cataloging fandom is sick, just burn it all down.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm glad they keep loving with the canon. The detail-cataloging fandom is sick, just burn it all down.

Watching them set themselves on fire over Enterprise 20 years ago was hilarious, and it's STILL loving hilarious today. Also Jesus Christ, next year it's gonna be 20 years since Enterprise premiered :corsair:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still have the VHS recording I made of Broken Bow when it first aired, because I was being dragged to a dinner with my grandparents.

I remember reading the comments on it on TrekBBS before I watched it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't worry, it was just the edges and she pressed it back down and then everything was totally fine. It's probably still there!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I assumed that the plastic film was a reference to dorks keeping the toys in the wrapped box.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Insane Totoro posted:

I assumed that the plastic film was a reference to dorks keeping the toys in the wrapped box.

Person who has not bought a new TV, phone, tablet, computer, or anything with a screen in the last ten years spotted :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I leave it on there because I use my electronics for far longer than their intended lifespan, so might as well get a little extra scratch protection.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Fool, you've just given them more details to catalog! With more elaborate details about the details!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a "best" version of ds9 streaming? Or is it all the same version on Netflix Amazon etc?