Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Phlegmish posted:

Sometimes my hobgoblins automatically attack belt rats, other times they don't. What determines this?

Sorcery.

Re:John,

Leaders make mistakes, acknowledge their mistake, remediate their mistake and the process that allowed it to occur. Failures bluster, blame, and grieve.

Time to find out if John chooses to be a leader, or a failure.

Meanwhile, has the clone vat gone up on sisi yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Phlegmish posted:

Sometimes my hobgoblins automatically attack belt rats, other times they don't. What determines this?

I think this is called "aggro". Like if you have them out already and then rats warp in and attack you, they should attack them back. If you are being attacked by rats and then you put out drones, they won't automatically attack.

Make sure your drone settings are set to aggressive and focus fire.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Anias posted:

Sorcery.

Re:John,

Leaders make mistakes, acknowledge their mistake, remediate their mistake and the process that allowed it to occur. Failures bluster, blame, and grieve.

Time to find out if John chooses to be a leader, or a failure.

Meanwhile, has the clone vat gone up on sisi yet?

Oh, he already picked. It's the bluster, blame, and threaten.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sickening posted:

I think this is called "aggro". Like if you have them out already and then rats warp in and attack you, they should attack them back. If you are being attacked by rats and then you put out drones, they won't automatically attack.

Make sure your drone settings are set to aggressive and focus fire.

Alright. Where do I set my drone settings?

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Phlegmish posted:

Alright. Where do I set my drone settings?

in space your drone window has a drop down (top left I think).
Drones set to aggressive will allow them to auto shoot something that shoots you first

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Phlegmish posted:

For drones to attack rats you need to get them to focus fire (or aggressive fire I am not sure without looking). On your drone bay window right click the corner and it will give you these options.

They will only attack rats that are attacking you. If rats have you yellow boxed they will not attack. Adjust your orbit range closer for them to hit you. Blood Raider small frigate rats need to be in like 9km of you to do damage.

Make sure you are in drone control range. For Vexors this is like 45km, if you are further away from rats then this they wont attack.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

captainclaw posted:

in space your drone window has a drop down (top left I think).
Drones set to aggressive will allow them to auto shoot something that shoots you first

Ah, thanks. I was already on Aggressive but didn't have Focus Fire. What does the latter do?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Ah, thanks. I was already on Aggressive but didn't have Focus Fire. What does the latter do?

It makes sure your drones attack together instead of sometimes attacking different things.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Phlegmish posted:

I'm sure that makes them follow what you're shooting with your weapons automatically.
It's been many moons since I changed those settings though

edit

Sickening posted:

It makes sure your drones attack together instead of sometimes attacking different things.

Actually, maybe what he said :)

KoeK
May 15, 2003
We dont die we multiply
The hamburger menu in the drone window (when in space).

Re: john_hardly fun fleets
One fleet for me was enough for me to never fly with him again. Blue Dictor (not me) is trigger happy and bubbles blues, blues get welped, john rages on comms the whole way back to 1dq. Yeah dictors should pay attention and not fuckup, but sometimes they do, yeah it sucks, poo poo happens, get on with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

captainclaw posted:

I'm sure that makes them follow what you're shooting with your weapons automatically.
It's been many moons since I changed those settings though

edit

Actually, maybe what he said :)

Yeah, I am just shooting from the hip here but I think that if you don't have that enabled they just attack whatever they are closest to and that isn't always the same ship.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

KoeK posted:

One fleet for me was enough for me to never fly with him again. Blue Dictor (not me) is trigger happy and bubbles blues, blues get welped, john rages on comms the whole way back to 1dq. Yeah dictors should pay attention and not fuckup, but sometimes they do, yeah it sucks, poo poo happens, get on with it.

Ironic given that “poo poo happens” seems to be his attitude to goonfucking

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

GeneticWeapon posted:

I sent an email to newbies@goonfleetdotcom asking how to to fix my forums access, I can't remember my password from 7yrs ago. And 'email me a new password' doesn't work. If I need to send isk to our IT guys that's not a problem.

*edit
When I do the Auth thing on goonfleetdotcom it says this character is not eligible for registration.

If you're doing that, I think you have access to the forums? Or am I misunderstanding.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
It took me longer than I'd care to admit to find the drone aggressive/passive/focus buttons and I'm still not convinced it works properly.

I mostly rat and it's easy enough to just direct them anyway so I can live with it

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

KoeK posted:

There's a lot of other FC's who might get annoyed or mad but they'll explain what to do next time. Did an Ares fleet last night and tunnel visioned on a hacker like a moron (with a few other people) when a bunch of other ships landed on grid. Got well-deserved poo poo for it, got told that a 20 mil hacker is not worth suiciding interceptors on, got told to reship, everything is good, just don't do it again.

He was a good FC, helped me get better at interceptors, and I totally forgot his name now.
Hell even in that ill-fated highsec fleet the logi learned to bring whore drones :v:

People are dumb, they make mistakes in ships they haven't flown much (or even if they've flown them a lot) but raging out isn't helpful, honestly. We've got a lot of retvets coming back who may not have done a lot of these mechanics. poo poo happens. We don't get people trying new roles that we need (logi, dictors, interceptors) if everything time they gently caress up they get raged at.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I haven't witnessed any bad FCs, although some of them need to work on their pronunciation and/or slow down a little. Especially since not all of us are native English speakers. A week or two ago I had one that would repeat each command 3-4 times, but most of the time I still was unable to understand what he was saying

angry armadillo posted:

It took me longer than I'd care to admit to find the drone aggressive/passive/focus buttons and I'm still not convinced it works properly.

I mostly rat and it's easy enough to just direct them anyway so I can live with it

Yeah but right now I'm mining and that's super afk

Although I think it would take them literally an hour to kill my Procurer with shield extender, as long as there's no FOB in the system.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 26, 2020

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Imho when it becomes clear that a FC wont stop raging, take away his role and kick him back down to line member.

If you can play a game without bitching like a god drat pubbie then gtfo.

I get that being FC can be stressful but a raging FC only lowers morale and make ppl not want to join. Ive been back less than two months and no matter what channel i go to on mumble, someone is bitching about him.

And the number of ppl who says they wont join his fleets are proof that its a problem.

There are thousands of nerds in this alliance, find FCs who wont sap morale

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Phlegmish posted:

I haven't witnessed any bad FCs, although some of them need to work on their pronunciation and/or slow down a little. Especially since not all of us are native English speakers. A week or two ago I had one that would repeat each command 3-4, but most of the time I still was unable to understand what he was saying

Im willing to bet that was Elo. He repeats his commands so fast that he mumbles them

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

LegionAreI posted:

There's a lot of other FC's who might get annoyed or mad but they'll explain what to do next time. Did an Ares fleet last night and tunnel visioned on a hacker like a moron (with a few other people) when a bunch of other ships landed on grid. Got well-deserved poo poo for it, got told that a 20 mil hacker is not worth suiciding interceptors on, got told to reship, everything is good, just don't do it again.

He was a good FC, helped me get better at interceptors, and I totally forgot his name now.
Hell even in that ill-fated highsec fleet the logi learned to bring whore drones :v:

People are dumb, they make mistakes in ships they haven't flown much (or even if they've flown them a lot) but raging out isn't helpful, honestly. We've got a lot of retvets coming back who may not have done a lot of these mechanics. poo poo happens. We don't get people trying new roles that we need (logi, dictors, interceptors) if everything time they gently caress up they get raged at.

See, I swear at my corp when I run fleets when they gently caress up at the time.
After we're done and on our way home or even docked back up we go over what could be done better to prevent it happening again. (Doesn't always work mind you)
They know that I am very much in the zone and being Scottish swear at them a lot but also know that it's out of wanting them to come out on top.

I remember doing a lot of John fleets when I was in SV, and gotta say I don't really miss them. Being able to make a fleet of 70 nerds all feel bad about themselves is a skill

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

DGC773 posted:

It wouldn't be a hell war if some loving didn't happen.

And goodness knows PAPI hasn't been dtf yet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dalael posted:

Imho when it becomes clear that a FC wont stop raging, take away his role and kick him back down to line member.

If you can play a game without bitching like a god drat pubbie then gtfo.

I get that being FC can be stressful but a raging FC only lowers morale and make ppl not want to join. Ive been back less than two months and no matter what channel i go to on mumble, someone is bitching about him.

And the number of ppl who says they wont join his fleets are proof that its a problem.

There are thousands of nerds in this alliance, find FCs who wont sap morale

Yea, there was this one FC who's name I can't remember but I think it started with an S, who was very unironically "i'm very space important and you need to RESPECT ME!" I literally turned around after we burned 3 systems in a BS and docked. Dude was some insufferable dumbass.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

And goodness knows PAPI hasn't been dtf yet.

Because PAPI members like logging in and having instant fun content. PAPIs FCs don't ragefuck their respective comms or alliances (yet)

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

DGC773 posted:

Because PAPI members like logging in and having instant fun content. PAPIs FCs don't ragefuck their respective comms or alliances (yet)

have you been in a PGL fleet?

captainclaw fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 26, 2020

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

captainclaw posted:

have you been an a PGL fleet?

Nope.

I doubt anyone in panfam has even heard PGL or Vily speak before. PAPI is just a random collection of alliances in Delve. They are all using their own comms. Panfam join panfam fleets, test join test fleets...etc.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah but right now I'm mining and that's super afk

Although I think it would take them literally an hour to kill my Procurer with shield extender, as long as there's no FOB in the system.
My experience is that as long as you manually target the first rat you can leave it for the rest of the respawns.

That being said, I'm not sure if this is true or just me, I have a superstition in my head that if my ship can target 5 things and I target 5 asteroids, the drones wont attack... if I target 4 and "leave space" for an additional target, my drones get on with things by themselves

There is high probability I am making that up as I've never fancied putting it to the test.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Yea, there was this one FC who's name I can't remember but I think it started with an S, who was very unironically "i'm very space important and you need to RESPECT ME!" I literally turned around after we burned 3 systems in a BS and docked. Dude was some insufferable dumbass.

The number of people who think being FC makes them extra special bother me and I wish I had the guts to just pod them and deal with the consequence.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dalael posted:

The number of people who think being FC makes them extra special bother me and I wish I had the guts to just pod them and deal with the consequence.

Just stick ecm drones on them :D

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
re: drone preferences (accessed via the hamburger menu in the top left corner of your drones window)

Aggressive: drones will automatically shoot anything that shoots you. Drones have to be launched before said thing shoots you or they won't attack it unless you tell them.
Passive: drones will only shoot what you tell them to shoot.
Focus fire: all drones will shoot the same target. If you don't have this enabled you will eventually see things like one lonely Acolyte II trying to kill a battleship by itself while its 4 brethren are chasing a frigate.

Rats can and will shoot your drones - the trick to avoiding this was explained to me earlier in the thread, but basically just get your drones out as soon as you land on grid and the rats will only shoot you instead. This isn't much of an issue if you're just shooting rocks in a belt.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Goddamn, just kick the fucker. This is way too much drama for one person.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Dalael posted:

you fly logi - withhold reps while they're primaried

e: actually that's passive aggressive as gently caress, just tell them you don't have time for childish bullshit and bounce from their fleet. you're in waffe, you don't need paps anyway

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

you fly logi - withhold reps while they're primaried

:ssh:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Dalael posted:

There are definitely enough of them that are as massive of a fuckup as the rest of us to balance it out though! See, highsec hellfleet, undocking in the wrong ship, not checking pods, etc. I definitely have a list of people I am careful about fleeting up on but there are enough that are fun and chill.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
There's a FC I flew with a few times lately but I keep forgetting to look up his name. Takes his time to undock and leave ppl time to form. Reminds ppl to check their clones and i swear to god has one of the most soothing voice on comms.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
All the FCs I have flown with since returning have been cool as poo poo and nice as hell to me while answering literally any stupid question.

I haven’t gone on a John fleet but am unlikely to. I’ll just go gently caress around with the ASCEE guys.

Now that I think about it, I think he was FC of bomberwaffe for the failed Keepstar fight and he was pretty chill except for one moment. He apologized and got us home safe. Hell a karmafleet person almost took us out and we laughed.

Still, that doesn’t excuse the behavior today. Just apologize and move the gently caress on.

KoeK
May 15, 2003
We dont die we multiply

captainclaw posted:

See, I swear at my corp when I run fleets when they gently caress up at the time.
After we're done and on our way home or even docked back up we go over what could be done better to prevent it happening again. (Doesn't always work mind you)
They know that I am very much in the zone and being Scottish swear at them a lot but also know that it's out of wanting them to come out on top.

I remember doing a lot of John fleets when I was in SV, and gotta say I don't really miss them. Being able to make a fleet of 70 nerds all feel bad about themselves is a skill

Sure, and swearing or a frustated shout is no problem, but an fc needs to leave opportunity to say “sorry, I hosed up“. With raging that door closes.

Also, for Querious George: this is only with John, and seems to be focused on John’s personality. Before you report to your intel team that “goons fc’s are breaking down”, because they aint.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Most if not all of the fleets that I've been on (and I've been in quite a few in the last month or so) have been pretty chill and good, and had a "well, that's goons" attitude to fuckups.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Tekopo posted:

Most if not all of the fleets that I've been on (and I've been in quite a few in the last month or so) have been pretty chill and good, and had a "well, that's goons" attitude to fuckups.

Yup. I mean there's an assumption that goons are gonna gently caress up, and it makes things pretty chill. I mean that ares fleet last night hosed up a bit counting timers and we lost it, but FC took responsibility and it wasn't a big deal.
Not really seeing any morale problems, being annoyed at one guy for being a douche isn't a morale problem really!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I went on one of John Hartley's fleets the day after the first 14-hour Keepstar grind, and his FC technique of yelling at the entire fleet that they're disappointments while calling targets that are long dead is certainly a unique one.

I'm now avoiding any pings that go out for his fleets. drat, getting shot by blues in a SUAS fleet years ago wasn't nearly as miserable.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Dalael posted:

Reminds me of Makalu. He was a good dude, just super spergy at times.

DGC773 posted:

Nope.

I doubt anyone in panfam has even heard PGL or Vily speak before. PAPI is just a random collection of alliances in Delve. They are all using their own comms. Panfam join panfam fleets, test join test fleets...etc.

Shame on those that never witnessed coked-out Vily singing to his fleet about mittni stealing their titans.

There was a soundboard somewhere

PGL is pretty insufferable, and constantly blames his never ending string of fuckups on his fleet members.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Whether or not john hartley gets airlocked, it's gonna be a fun time. I didn't have any ISK in that structure, so I have great seats without also being in the splash zone.