Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s all the same DVD source, in its murky, smeared glory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I heard someone say they actually thought the CBS All Access version was comparatively best, but I have not put that to the test.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Infuriating because as I mentioned a little while ago, even an automated upscale and color grade makes the show look way better and less muddy, they could just feed the current files into a computer and let it chew on them for a few weeks of processing and post the results on Netflix and All Access and it would be just so much nicer to watch for basically no cost to the networks at all.

It's probably going to happen eventually, though - now that we have really good AI upscales I expect whole businesses will be established around processing pre-HD TV and that the various production companies will probably at some point farm out just upscaling their entire back catalogues so they can squeeze a bit more out of old repeats.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 27, 2020

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Really wish the DS9 team had stolen something from Babylon 5 and blocked the show for 1.78:1.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

sunday at work posted:

Really wish the DS9 team had stolen something from Babylon 5 and blocked the show for 1.78:1.

They actually did, fun fact. At least post season one, I think.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

If I could only choose one or the other, I'd actually go for being able to see DS9 in widescreen over a remaster

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would go for interpolated 120fps ds9

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I would go for interpolated 120fps ds9

Sisko moving around like the shopkeeper from the CDI Zelda games

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

curiousTerminal posted:

Sisko moving around like the shopkeeper from the CDI Zelda games

JAM-BA-LA-YA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think in the past people have expressed disdain for the ending of DS9's "Paradise", but at least from where I'm sitting in 2020, it seemed pretty realistic. Especially after watching TOS all the way through. The TOS version of this would've ended with the colonists saying "Thank you, Starfleet, for revealing that our society was built on lies and death! Because lies and death are Bad, we will disavow our society and follow yours." Instead we get the more realistic "Well, I mean, it's not like I died, so... just arrest that one particular dictator and I think we're good, thanks"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The ending makes sense. But it doesn’t make people happy to watch. It feels unjust and sad.

While we’re on DS9, last night I watched “Children of Time”, which is another one of those episodes that you can imagine the other shows tackling as well. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I had forgotten that Oldo is the first one to let Kira know that Odo has feelings for her. It sets a quite hosed up tone for their relationship. He deleted 8000 people including himself from existence so that the two of them could maybe have a life together, and in the end they do for a little while and then don’t. Odo gets stuck with the memories of doing this to guilt Kira into sleeping with him, even though he actually didn’t do it. Sisko et al are none the wiser and presumably will never know why they failed. Harsh stuff all around.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 27, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

skasion posted:

The ending makes sense. But it doesn’t make people happy to watch. It feels unjust and sad.

Ahahaha I checked the memory alpha article on the episode out of interest:

quote:

"It's time for those of us who don't belong here to leave," Alixus tells Sisko, and he, O'Brien, Alixus, and Vinod beam off the planet's surface. The colonists go about their business, leaving two young children (who did not have any say in their own fate of staying on the planet) staring at the punishment box, which stands in the foreground like a bad omen.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
i wanted to watch star trek so i signed up for nexflix, got the HD version in cased i wanted to watch movies

after one month of just watching TNG and DS9, netflix was like for month two do you want do downgrade to standard? so I was like ok, now i am watching TOS

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TOS is so pretty in HD though, should've waited to do DS9 instead

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just make sure you watch the original version and not the enhanced version if Netflix still gives you the option.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Just make sure you watch the original version and not the enhanced version if Netflix still gives you the option.

The enhanced version isn’t really as obtrusive as people seem to think it is. It takes a bit to get used to, but it’s not like they went full Star Wars Special Edition on it or anything.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

The enhanced version isn’t as obtrusive as people seem to think it is. It takes a bit to get used to, but it’s not like they went full Star Wars Special Edition on it or anything.

Having watched a bit of both recently I hugely disagree. I can’t stand the new effects and they’re all over the place. Give me the strings and coffee stains any day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it's more like the THX-1138 Special Edition, where it doesn't change the story but it's incredibly jarring and the visuals and style don't match the original footage at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Again, I firmly believe that if they would have attempted to match the film grain of the CG to the live footage, they would be much better received.

The style absolutely matches, it was just integrated poorly.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, it's more like the THX-1138 Special Edition, where it doesn't change the story but it's incredibly jarring and the visuals and style don't match the original footage at all.

Oh god I watched that recently without realizing it even existed and I was so pissed

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I forgot where I read it, but a lot of those VFX were supposedly rushed out the door to meet airdates.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

HD DAD posted:

I forgot where I read it, but a lot of those VFX were supposedly rushed out the door to meet airdates.

that matches my recollection

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's not just the film grain that doesn't match the era, though, it's also the visual style and quality of effects. I mean, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppBxObGKFIM

(timestamp 6:55)

Not only do the effects look dreadful, but the Enterprise moves in a way that's so jarringly out of place compared to every other visual in the show and the era. It's like you're watching two different shows, and one of them is a 1990s CGI cartoon.

I know multiple effects teams worked on it and some of them did solid work, but the team that did the episode above consistently tried to go for a vibe of realism in their updated effects that doesn't match the stylized nature of the rest of the show. It's an issue of taste more than anything.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 28, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

feedmyleg posted:

It's not just the film grain that doesn't match the era, though, it's also the visual style and quality of effects. I mean, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppBxObGKFIM

(timestamp 6:55)

Not only do the effects look dreadful, but the Enterprise moves in a way that's so jarringly out of place compared to every other visual in the show and the era. It's like you're watching two different shows, and one of them is a 1990s CGI cartoon.

I know multiple effects teams worked on it and some of them did solid work, but the team that did the episode above consistently tried to go for a vibe of realism in their updated effects that doesn't match the stylized nature of the rest of the show. It's an issue of taste more than anything.

I'm okay with most of the re-done TOS effects, but sometimes they went a little too far into George Lucas territory. That episode looks to be a particularly strong example of when that happened. And of course, the re-do is now old enough that it's showing its own age. But still, for the most part, the new effects don't get in the way of enjoying the episode, at least for me.

However, I have only good things to say about the TNG remaster. They re-did effects only when absolutely necessary, and even then, they moved heaven and earth to make it look as much like the original as they could.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the worst standouts is a few of the redone scenes in The Doomsday machine, where the Enterprise does full-on X-wing strafing runs on the machine.

I do think that the best approach with TOS would've basically just been to try to match the original effects shots in terms of camera and framing 1:1. With a few exceptions where warranted, like when they threw in a few new establishing shots of ships that they didn't have the budget or time to make models of in the original series, but basically keep the actual space-camera solidly TOS.

(Honestly, in an ideal world they'd just find someone like Vektor and give him some money and be like 'hey take a year or so with your super-nice model and redo the FX again shot for shot, mkay?')

Powered Descent posted:

However, I have only good things to say about the TNG remaster. They re-did effects only when absolutely necessary, and even then, they moved heaven and earth to make it look as much like the original as they could.

Well, almost only good things. There were a few screwups with season two, which is why they dropped the studio responsible for it. (Although ironically some of the screw-up was apparently the result of trying to be too accurate and matching the overlit slightly washed-out original effects, whereas the CBS internal remaster department was more comfortable lowering the brightness and jacking up the contrast)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 28, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I thought the company that did season two also did season four? Or am I misremembering?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No the plan was that they would do seasons 2, 4 and 6 to speed things up but after they screwed up season 2 CBS switched to doing all of the remaining seasons in-house.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just leave it the way it is! All of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

No the plan was that they would do seasons 2, 4 and 6 to speed things up but after they screwed up season 2 CBS switched to doing all of the remaining seasons in-house.

Yeah, HTV (run by TNG VFX guy Dan Curry) did the season 2 remaster and it was a horrific job. After the reception to the S2 remaster CBS decided to have all of the remaining seasons done by CBS Digital, which is a large reason that the entire TNG HD project went wildly over-budget.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
poo poo, I didn’t know HTV was Dan Curry’s company. Now that just makes me feel bad.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I like the new VFX in the TOS episodes I've seen. I didn't actually watch TOS much before that though, so I'm sure that's part of why I prefer the newer visuals.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if one of the ways they celebrate and promote Strange New Worlds is doing the TOS effects again but 'updating' the Enterprise with the new Strange New Worlds/Discovery version.

If that happened there'd be nothing but backlash, though, hopefully if the thought has crossed their minds they'd be smart enough to see it's a bad idea.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think the incentive to re-do the effects is high enough—that wasn't what got the interest the first time around, that was the picture quality. The dorks already bought the Blus and everyone else just watches them on streaming. Sure they might get a slight bit of buzz for doing it which would shed some new light on an old property, but there's a lot of redone effects throughout the enhanced versions and many of them don't include the Enterprise itself.

Plus, who cares? Just some dweebs on a forum still talking about the last version years later. My mom isn't going to subscribe to All Access Paramount+ suddenly because of something like that.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think modern Trek is a lot more willing to accept that, no, we're never going to have an entirely visually consistent version of Star Trek, and is willing to acknowledge that and have a bit of fun with it - stuff like Discovery using footage from "The Cage" and fading from Hunter's Pike to Mount, or Lower Decks throwing in a shot of Kirk and Spock in the original Animated style. I can't see them trying to update TOS to the modern style.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m perfectly okay with the visual inconsistencies and Disco’s transition from old Pike to new Pike was the perfect “yeah we know, just roll with it”.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it goes further than that. Since JJTrek people pitching Star Trek shows haven't even felt bound to say which continuity their show is (Disco is particularly ambiguous). I also think that's absolutely fine. Continuity doesn't matter, all Star Trek needs is a ship and a crew and decent producers hope!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The DS9 episode "Playing God" is pretty wild. It just kind of has everything thrown in there at once. Dax is showing a new Trill around, there's an infestation of Cardassian voles, there's a pocket universe that might blow up the station soon and they have to decide if it's ethical to destroy it, Jake talks to his dad about a girl. Somehow it actually really works, though, just by feeling like there's so much crazy stuff going on on the station and how the characters react to it.

Also it has the signing Klingon chef again! Thereby making "Melora" completely skippable.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Angry Salami posted:

I think modern Trek is a lot more willing to accept that, no, we're never going to have an entirely visually consistent version of Star Trek, and is willing to acknowledge that and have a bit of fun with it - stuff like Discovery using footage from "The Cage" and fading from Hunter's Pike to Mount, or Lower Decks throwing in a shot of Kirk and Spock in the original Animated style. I can't see them trying to update TOS to the modern style.

In some ways, I think that's actually a bit of a shame. I'd love to see a show that uses TOS's 60's design language and production style, but done with modern production values. DISCO in particular is at it's best when it leans into the wacky trippy side of Trek anyway. Make the show the TOS team would have done if they somehow suddenly had access to a render farm.

TOS looked how it did to help sell some new fancy Colour TVs at the time, imagine DISCO going full trippy kaleidoscope on HDR.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is every time episode in TNG really good? just watched timescape and enjoyed it a lot and i dont really remember any duds now that i think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TNG consistently had the best time-gently caress episodes. I really can’t think of a bad one.