Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well yeah the stuff is stupid on its face, but if all it takes is showing it to people to get them to reject it, why is it still perpetuated :confused:
e: Finkelstein's view seems to be that leftists and Jewish holocaust fakers are the reason, which seems uh, extremely distasteful to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhem
Feb 13, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

He seems super committed to the idea that, if people are given a thorough sales pitch from sincere holocaust denialists, they will inevitably reject it?
e: basically a more cerebral version of "sunlight is the best disinfectant"?
I don't think he believes people will just spontaneously discover the correct opinion on exposure. Rather, that the access to arguments of sincere holocaust denialists allow their opponents to more rigorously combat their points. And in turn sharpen their own understanding of the subject by compelling them to refine the finer details of their arguments.

I don't buy it as an argument at all. But I think "what university would want the liability of negative publicity anyway?" is a bad counter to it -- you have to remember that identical reasoning was used to completely destroy Finkelstein's career. It's hard to disagree with the idea that these decisions should be held to universal principles rather than the cost / benefit analysis of institutional employers. The issue is that those principles can stop well short of platforming denialists.

Finkelstein absolutely isn't an affluent academic with tenure, lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sekhem posted:

I don't think he believes people will just spontaneously discover the correct opinion on exposure. Rather, that the access to arguments of sincere holocaust denialists allow their opponents to more rigorously combat their points. And in turn sharpen their own understanding of the subject by compelling them to refine the finer details of their arguments.

I don't buy it as an argument at all. But I think "what university would want the liability of negative publicity anyway?" is a bad counter to it -- you have to remember that identical reasoning was used to completely destroy Finkelstein's career. It's hard to disagree with the idea that these decisions should be held to universal principles rather than the cost / benefit analysis of institutional employers. The issue is that those principles can stop well short of platforming denialists.

Yeah, I can absolutely see why Finkelstein believes this, though I think he believed it even before Dersh got him blacklisted.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The thing is, the reason left thinkers get purged is entirely separate from the reasons holocaust deniers get or are denied a platform. You could have a literal Nazi at every campus in this nation and you'll still get turfed out if you're a commie or pro-BDS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sekhem posted:

maybe it's just me but I think this can be done without marinating students in it for semesters at a time :shrug:

Sekhem
Feb 13, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

The thing is, the reason left thinkers get purged is entirely separate from the reasons holocaust deniers get or are denied a platform. You could have a literal Nazi at every campus in this nation and you'll still get turfed out if you're a commie or pro-BDS
You really wouldn't need to tell Finkelstein that opposition to Israel is among the most uniquely persecuted platforms in western institutions. That's clearly in no small part a driving force behind his arguments.

The issue is that in many cases, academic institutions will utilise the justifications you can legitimately use for platforming fascists as a weapon to silence critics of Israel. Finkelstein has repeatedly had himself slandered as creating unsafe environments, apologising for genocidal politics, fueling anti-semitic arguments, even to the extent of being accused of being proximal to holocaust revisionism himself.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Sekhem posted:

Wasn't meant to be a powerful rhetorical killshot, just an observation that universities aren't going out of their way to make themselves look bad, just on account of some self-important dingus who feels such a need to show off owning those particular turbonazis that he argues against social media companies banning them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
extremely normal

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1320713959943606275?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagine if Democrats had the gumption to do something about it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Imagine if Democrats had the gumption to do something about it.

Look, they're smearing and disappearing critics of genocide as fast as the republicans will allow, have some patience.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

eric trump and karl rove step into a teleporter

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Incelshok Na posted:

I'm not going to defend the CCP here since they are obviously in the wrong, but unlike the Uighur genocide, chopping up religious extremists like the Falun Gong for organs is absolutely the best use of their material.

Imagine how much better the world would be if Jerry Falwell and his followers had been harvested for organs instead of taking over the American political system.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Liberal

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

a Loving Dog posted:

wow, nailed it

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

a Loving Dog posted:

:perfect:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I just had a funny idea for counterprotesting white nationalists:

"We must secure the existence of our planet and a future for ALL children."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Similarly I've taken to referring to the blue line flag as the Black Lives Don't Matter flag

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

I just had a funny idea for counterprotesting white nationalists:

"We must secure the existence of our planet and a future for ALL children."

ALL POWER!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Similarly I've taken to referring to the blue line flag as the Black Lives Don't Matter flag

Blue Lives Matter is interchangeable with All Lives Matter, so this checks out.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
proud boy brings gun to fistfight, gets knocked out

https://twitter.com/cvagainstfash/status/1317549987539144712?s=21

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If this happened at a skatepark the dude probably got some heavy metal skateboard trucks to the head, what an idiot.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lol nerd

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/AetiusRF/status/1320781719402926080

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

do you think they're pissed off when they get moved from cspam to 4chan?

it's like being moved from byob to fyad X100000

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you think feds assigned to watch places like SA ever get radicalized by reading our posting, or do they just search key words so there’s no danger of being taught that they’re living a lie as tools of capital?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do you think feds assigned to watch places like SA ever get radicalized by reading our posting, or do they just search key words so there’s no danger of being taught that they’re living a lie as tools of capital?

i imagine they figure out that they're tools living a lie pretty quick and the rest is just details

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hang on I'll try something

President

Airplane

Bomb

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ironically the leftists in Internet VFW are what brought me over the fence from liberal to left. CSPAM has a lot of good threads but due to a minority of users outside of the best threads it has too much toxicity, infighting and dictator apologism for a lot of people on the fence.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

do you think they're pissed off when they get moved from cspam to 4chan?

it's like being moved from byob to fyad X100000
they went from a cool place to hang out to a not-cool place to hang out at all, but they're definitely still trying to make friends

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Hodgepodge posted:

i imagine they figure out that they're tools living a lie pretty quick and the rest is just details

I'd imagine some adopt compartmentalized thought patterns such as "yes capitalism is bad but if I attach myself to the state I can survive it"

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

i wonder if this guy went to the police station to report that his gun had been stolen

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

we mostly just end up getting really mad about superhero movies

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

wait no gently caress i mean

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Ironically the leftists in Internet VFW are what brought me over the fence from liberal to left. CSPAM has a lot of good threads but due to a minority of users outside of the best threads it has too much toxicity, infighting and dictator apologism for a lot of people on the fence.

VFW?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
[Internet] Veterans of Foreign Wars, formerly Goons in Platoons

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Oct 27, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

miniscule12 posted:

I'd imagine some adopt compartmentalized thought patterns such as "yes capitalism is bad but if I attach myself to the state I can survive it"

quote:

"Your family could still be alive, you know.''

He looks up. "They could?'' Andrea? Jason? "Alive?''

The void laughs again, unfriendly: "There is life eternal within the eater of souls. Nobody is ever forgotten or allowed to rest in peace. They populate the simulation spaces of its mind, exploring all the possible alternative endings to their life. There is a fate worse than death, you know.''

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 07:50 on Oct 27, 2020

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

why did GiP rebrand

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Filthy Hans posted:

why did GiP rebrand

goons have sort of aged out of the "in platoons" demographic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Filthy Hans posted:

why did GiP rebrand

Most recently it’s because someone asked to “delete GiP” and the administrators maliciously complied by renaming the forum rather than removing it.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 09:19 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
GiP actually does have feds watching it in case the posters there get drunk and start banging on about military procedure or capabilities. New mods have to get the lowdown when they sign on because it's scary as gently caress to have some intelligence nerd call you up in the middle of the night yelling at you to erase a post before the Chinese wake up and see it.