Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Man if you think Trump is going to remain president even if every single adult votes for Biden, what are you even doing in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

What is being litigated right now are judicial decisions which overturned existing election law to better accommodate increased mail in voting due to the pandemic. That is very different than a court determining if, say, mail in ballots are legal in general. Even in the worst case scenarios we're talking about thousands to tens of thousands of ballots - not millions - which may impact local or state races, but *fingers crossed* are likely to not impact the Presidential election unless you are in a very, very close race.

Or, in other words, if Trump loses PA by 6 points it doesn't matter what happens to 5,000 late arriving ballots.

People are freaking out because Kavanaugh wrote a solo concurrence laying out a case for SCOTUS to step in and stop counting whenever they feel like it. Gorsuch's separate concurrence stuck to "courts should not muck about with state statutory voting laws" and theoretically he's principled enough to stick to that line, but between Kavanaugh/Barrett/Alito there are going to be 3 slam dunk votes for whatever arbitrary call the GOP wants to make and realistically despite his goofy flavor of insanity Thomas is going to be a guaranteed 4th, just with a really oddball separate opinion. So that's an awful lot riding on Roberts deciding that playing ball and hoping the Dems are too feckless to pack the courts is the best way to maintain his power and prestige as Chief Justice, and despite his apparent principles Gorsuch isn't a lock either.

The best anyone can figure is that if the electoral margin is big enough SCOTUS probably won't try to steal it. But if it comes down to anything that looks like Florida 2000 all bets are off.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

meanwhile our media is having a very normal one to prep for Joe's agenda

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1320735256220176392

missed a chance to make it 666 reasons.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

skylined! posted:

PA’s state legislator passed a law that ballots couldn’t be counted before Election Day. If ballots also can’t be counted after Election Day this uhhhhh will causes hundreds of thousands or millions of ballots to not be counted.

wait how did this come to pass? the republicans don't have veto proof majorities in the PA legislature

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radirot posted:

missed a chance to make it 666 reasons.

It's really wild since 'ties to China's government' is so vague and meaningless I'm sure they could find like, 1000 groups? Did they focus group 600 as a scary number?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mr Interweb posted:

wait how did this come to pass? the republicans don't have veto proof majorities in the PA legislature

It was passed in 1937

It just hasn't really been incredibly relevant up until now because mail in ballots made up such a small fraction of the overall vote.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Straight White Shark posted:

People are freaking out because Kavanaugh wrote a solo concurrence laying out a case for SCOTUS to step in and stop counting whenever they feel like it. Gorsuch's separate concurrence stuck to "courts should not muck about with state statutory voting laws" and theoretically he's principled enough to stick to that line, but between Kavanaugh/Barrett/Alito there are going to be 3 slam dunk votes for whatever arbitrary call the GOP wants to make and realistically despite his goofy flavor of insanity Thomas is going to be a guaranteed 4th, just with a really oddball separate opinion. So that's an awful lot riding on Roberts deciding that playing ball and hoping the Dems are too feckless to pack the courts is the best way to maintain his power and prestige as Chief Justice, and despite his apparent principles Gorsuch isn't a lock either.

The best anyone can figure is that if the electoral margin is big enough SCOTUS probably won't try to steal it. But if it comes down to anything that looks like Florida 2000 all bets are off.

I don’t think Roberts would pull something so craven, he cares about his legacy and with a 6-3 bench he doesn’t have to.

Which means the fate of the country lies in Neil loving Gorsuch, which is god drat terrifying. Either he is the ghoul we suspect he is, or he does the right thing and makes himself a hero to absolute morons.

I really just want this shut to be over.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1321142158565412864?s=20

quote:

A grand jury in Cleveland on Tuesday indicted right-wing political hoaxers Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman with felony charges connected to a multi-state robocall campaign that prosecutors say was meant to scare voters in urban areas with large minority populations out of voting by mail in the Nov. 3 presidential election.

Wohl, 22, of Riverside, California, and Burman, 54, of Arlington, Virginia, are indicted on eight counts of telecommunications fraud and seven counts of bribery in connection with more than 8,000 calls that were placed to residents of Cleveland and East Cleveland.

Wohl and Burkman already face similar criminal charges in Michigan and a civil lawsuit in New York City connected to the same scheme. They have denied involvement.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
A Trump coup attempt would just be him tweeting “DO SOMETHING” and then angrily berate his useless base for not being able to overthrow the government for him.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Rea posted:

i need to repost something from the polliwonks thread

https://twitter.com/_Dinger_s/status/1321171160944562179

the Trump campaign is not doing any polls of their important states

they're literally pulling the exact same poo poo that Clinton did in 2016

revenge of Robby Mook

I hope he's terrified.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
https://wtmj.com/news/2020/10/09/trump-halloween-masks-are-among-the-most-popular/Trump Halloween masks are among the most popular
i WAS worried but it's a bannable offense to be worried so yay biden landslide! please don't ban me!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A coup would require actual creativity, and Trump is the least creative person on the planet. All he knows how to do is stonewall and pout until someone else finds a way to do what he wants. I'm pretty sure that isn't going to be enough.

Even some of the worst stuff he's done -- kids in cages, shooting protesters, etc. -- has sadly been made possible by enforcing existing laws in the worst way possible. And it really didn't require much coordination. One or two administration officials could make it happen because they had authority over that particular thing. It's terrifying, and it's laid bare some serious weaknesses in our democracy. But I still don't see how you make the jump from that to being able to stage a coup.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

InsertPotPun posted:

https://wtmj.com/news/2020/10/09/trump-halloween-masks-are-among-the-most-popular/Trump Halloween masks are among the most popular
i WAS worried but it's a bannable offense to be worried so yay biden landslide! please don't ban me!

Yeah dude it's definitely a bannable offense to be worried nobody in the thread is worried your feelings are unique and also being oppressed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rea posted:

i need to repost something from the polliwonks thread

https://twitter.com/_Dinger_s/status/1321171160944562179

the Trump campaign is not doing any polls of their important states

they're literally pulling the exact same poo poo that Clinton did in 2016

revenge of Robby Mook

If you come to a meeting with a bad poll, Trump screams at you and everyone walks on eggshells for the rest of the day, so if you can't find a good poll just don't bring up polling

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

InsertPotPun posted:

I think this is a silly data point to worry about though. Everyone else is split between Michael Myers, Batman, Obama, and whatever else, but a lot of Trumpers are just really wrapped up in being Trumpers.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

haveblue posted:

If you come to a meeting with a bad poll, Trump screams at you and everyone walks on eggshells for the rest of the day, so if you can't find a good poll just don't bring up polling

There's a world of difference between doing polling but not showing Trump the results, and not doing polling at all, which is what it looks like they're doing here. You can do polling and not have Trump melt down on you.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I enjoy a bit of spiraling as much as anyone else, but feels like things are getting a bit far out ITT. If you're really that worried that something bad is going to happen with regards to the election that might cause violence, precarity, etc then the best way to head that off is to get plugged into your local community organizations that are doing mutual aid, self-defense, etc RIGHT NOW and see how you can help. Don't know where to start?

Good news, we have a thread with lots of resources on mutual aid, activism, and organizing!

If that's too much reading and you really feel overwhelmed then just PM me your deets and I will literally track down a group in your area that is doing important work and connect you to them. Seriously.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Trump not spending in FL seems like some combination of:

-overconfidence
-incompetence
-don't want to poll because if they look bad then Donnie would be mad and sad
-Parscale spent all the money on dank Facebook memes and a yacht for himself
-trusting that DeSantis and the state GOP will do everything in their power to gently caress with election results if they favor Biden

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Again it looks like the payee just changed.

No one trusts the Trump campaign with money

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Big news for Richmond's giant Robert E. Lee monument:

https://twitter.com/MarkHerringVA/status/1321180103422873600

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 27, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Wohl is only 22 what the gently caress

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not to nothingmatters, but 2016 also had donnie's "own" campgin machine being poo poo, reading tea leaves there is moot imo

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Ballz posted:

gently caress right.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wohl is only 22 what the gently caress

He is, after all, the youngest person to ever be banned for life from investment fund management due to securities fraud.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Maybe college undergrads shouldn't be partners in investing firms.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mat Cauthon posted:

I enjoy a bit of spiraling as much as anyone else, but feels like things are getting a bit far out ITT. If you're really that worried that something bad is going to happen with regards to the election that might cause violence, precarity, etc then the best way to head that off is to get plugged into your local community organizations that are doing mutual aid, self-defense, etc RIGHT NOW and see how you can help. Don't know where to start?

Good news, we have a thread with lots of resources on mutual aid, activism, and organizing!

If that's too much reading and you really feel overwhelmed then just PM me your deets and I will literally track down a group in your area that is doing important work and connect you to them. Seriously.

Quoting this

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

PhazonLink posted:

not to nothingmatters, but 2016 also had donnie's "own" campgin machine being poo poo, reading tea leaves there is moot imo

His 2016 campaign was poo poo, but it was up against the extremely smoothbrained Robby Mook back then. It's hard to lose when you're fighting Robby Mook.

This time, they're up against probably the most average political campaign to ever exist—so, magnitudes less smoothbrained than Mook. Also, Trump's campaign is filled with Robby Mooks now.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

PhazonLink posted:

He had Kellyanne Conway who correctly identified Hillary’s weakness in the Great Lakes states. Trumps last minute pivot in strategy based on his internals dragged him across the finish line.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

They don’t have any money, that’s what is going on

There IS money, maybe not as much as Biden's camp, but they do have some; it's just that it's all busy being looted by everyone who knows they're getting stiffed come 4 Nov. and so they'd best line their pockets now while they can.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

PhazonLink posted:

He was a terrible candidate, but the people behind the campaign were absolutely competent (by GOP standards).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fritz the Horse posted:

Trump not spending in FL seems like some combination of:

-overconfidence
-incompetence
-don't want to poll because if they look bad then Donnie would be mad and sad
-Parscale spent all the money on dank Facebook memes and a yacht for himself
-trusting that DeSantis and the state GOP will do everything in their power to gently caress with election results if they favor Biden
Personally I think it’s overconfidence and also they are broke

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Trump also believes he won 2016 by being just that awesome a dude, and that he won it by a landslide rather than a squeaker where he lost the PV. Of course he doesn't think anything needs to change this year, and anyone who might say otherwise has been fired and/or indicted.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CornHolio posted:

Thank you for this post, I found it very informative. I've never done a mail-in ballot and was skeptical as to how it would work but it looks like it's a lot more robust (at least in your state) than I imagined it would be.

Here's an article I came across this AM about the process in Oregon.

Edit: Jesus gently caress, paste the drat article too

https://www.salemreporter.com/posts/3094/vote-2020-heres-what-happens-to-your-ballot-after-you-drop-it-in-an-oregon-drop-box

highme fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 27, 2020

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I know yard sign math doesn’t matter, but I have lived in Florida my whole life (lol) and the difference in support for Biden/Trump compared to Hillary/Trump is night and day. Biden signs are everywhere, even in the richest neighborhoods. It’s quite telling

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
https://twitter.com/markos/status/1321176452386045952

trump not doing any polling in FL is even worse than it sounds

they know they need polling but they've just. stiffed their pollsters. and haven't allocated money away from, idk, the ads in the DC area for it.

this is way loving worse than pulling ads from FL, imo. they're potentially wasting money because they refuse to spend money on pollsters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/markos/status/1321176452386045952

trump being trump hasn't payed his pollsters show now he is in the dark.

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1321182653610164226?s=20

also the ghouls at Lincoln came up with another winner.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1321179349102563332

https://twitter.com/SalHernandez/status/1321180368960016385

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 27, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I mean it's a powerful ad but Canada has handled it better and we can't visit dying relatives in the hospital either.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

God this infuriates me. "No one said immunity didn't last for life until I got it, now they're saying 'oh we don't know, he might get it again"

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

nah posted:

I know yard sign math doesn’t matter, but I have lived in Florida my whole life (lol) and the difference in support for Biden/Trump compared to Hillary/Trump is night and day. Biden signs are everywhere, even in the richest neighborhoods. It’s quite telling

I keep needing to remind myself that yard sign math doesn't matter, because every time I drive to my parents' place in rural Wisconsin, the amount of Trump and "Back the Blue" lawn signs is fuckin' omnipresent, like it's almost comical how many farms in the middle of nowhere are hauling the Trump flag right below the American one

And then I remember that Wisconsin is one of the most segregated states in the US and I'm like "oh right there's a reason they're super proud and super loud about it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ballz posted:

Hell yeah!

Although it is the one monument I would want to see at a museum (in context), because while the general is trash, the graffiti on it and its barricades is worth preservation. The circle itself has become an an attraction and a gathering-place for protestors

edit: screw slow mode

Orthanc6 posted:

Leave the graffiti-ed pedestal, take the statue down off of it. Have one's cake and eat it too
That's been floated as an option, yeah. They'll be removing it in pieces anyway since it's humongous.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 27, 2020