Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Koramei posted:

Even the state portrait of the founder of the dynasty shows a wart over his eyebrow:

What were those flaps made from, anyway? Silk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Cyrano4747 posted:

What I will say, however, is that some pop culture history stuff goes beyond just "not the latest and greatest." Hardcore History in particular is prone to some really, really bad history. I've got a background in German history and I had to stop listening to the series when he tried to tackle WW1. It wasn't only an over-reliance on very dated sources (a lot of his arguments were lifted verbatim from books from the 60s, to the point where I could tell when he switched sources) but it was also a presentation that leaned hard into old arguments that themselves had political motivations behind their original propagation. Maybe Ancient Rome is less prone to that than the debates surrounding Germany's war guilt for WW1, but in the latter case it went beyond harmlessly shallow understandings.

There's a very big gap in quality btwn mike duncan and hardcore history tbf

also I'm pretty sure for the WWI he might as well as just read out a loud "guns of august" lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grevling posted:

iIimagine having the german characters speak proto-germanic would be cool but would require a lot of coaching (and money.

I mean, if you're already doing all that for the other guys, though?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

I wouldn't say History of Byzantium is weaker, quite the opposite. I feel like he goes into a lot more details, talks a lot more about his sources, points of views at the time and so much more. He has a lot of interviews with authors and great discussions.

This is entirely just personal preference, so take it with a grain of salt:
-Duncan has a much better podcasting voice. Pierson does great research, and goes much further into depth, but he reads the material like a history TA, and I find myself zoning out a lot more. The quiet way he says Komnenos is burned into my brain.
-By going so much more into depth, it really breaks up the narrative thrust of the podcast a lot more. I like the added depth, but I don’t like coming back to the main narrative after like 5 side episodes and not remembering what the hell is going on.
-I feel like Pierson gets lost in the weeds a lot more than Duncan. The former provides more of a list of what happened, then this happened, then this happened, while the latter did a much better job summing up the impacts of a particular regime in a holistic way.
-Along those same lines, IMO Duncan did a better job using storytelling tricks to keep the story engaging. Just little flourishes like “little did he know, that would be a really bad idea” or “problem solved, right? Wrong”. Sure it’s more informal, but I liked it, and it helped me get into the heads of those historical figures a little more easily.

Idunno. It’s all personal preference, but overall, I’d recommend History of Rome to almost anyone. It’s very accessible and entertaining. I’d hesitate to recommend History of Byzantium unless someone’s very patient, a huge Rome nerd, or both.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Halloween Jack posted:

What were those flaps made from, anyway? Silk?

Pretty sure it would have been horsehair. The fancy patterned ones might have had a silk coating? The wide-brimmed traditional Korean hats were all horsehair though, with a bamboo frame.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've felt for a while that I want to see more period pieces or fantasy stories done with American accents because I get tired of everything going through british filters.

The giants speak like American gangsters in Sprague de Camp & Pratt's The Roaring Trumpet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Power Khan posted:

Same with Conan the Babarian in english. Schwarzenegger has a laughable styrian accent that makes him sound like a barking yokel. Unsurprisingly they completely overdubbed him in the german version, greatly improving the film.

This reminds me of how Goku's Japanese voice is meant to sound like a mountain hick. Accurate English equivalent would be like, Appalachian.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This reminds me of how Goku's Japanese voice is meant to sound like a mountain hick. Accurate English equivalent would be like, Appalachian.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is unintentionally hilarious in Mandarin because none of the actors are native speakers, so it's like Hamlet where the main cast is Jean Claude Van Damme and Schwarzenegger, also sick sword fights. Also I'd watch that version of Hamlet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is unintentionally hilarious in Mandarin because none of the actors are native speakers, so it's like Hamlet where the main cast is Jean Claude Van Damme and Schwarzenegger, also sick sword fights. Also I'd watch that version of Hamlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eont_yEGZs

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grevling posted:

iIimagine having the german characters speak proto-germanic would be cool but would require a lot of coaching (and money.

Does german have some sort of language convention for historical epics? As a norwegian I sort of expect works in the middle ages and viking period to have a certain style which is not old norse at all but "feels" authentic in a way modern norwegian doesn't.

There is a certain kind of diction that can be used to convey "old-timey" language, yeah. The trouble is that this style also has connotations of being somewhat stilted, elevated, and theatrical. Ironically it's the kind of style well-suited to a roman emperor holding a nice dramatic monologue, but it would feel overwrought for a couple rural Cherusci having a casual conversation among each other. You actually do have a few a actors occasionally slipping into a more theatrical diction, and that feels even more out of place than the overall modern speech.

It seems like a somewhat awkward compromise. The artistic intent was presumably to make the Germanic characters as relatable as possible, while creating an intentional distance between audience and Romans through the language barrier. Having them speak an unintelligible proto-Germanic dialect certainly would've been more immersive, but it would also have run counter to that dynamic. :shrug:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Power Khan posted:

Same with Conan the Babarian in english. Schwarzenegger has a laughable styrian accent that makes him sound like a barking yokel. Unsurprisingly they completely overdubbed him in the german version, greatly improving the film.

Well, wouldn't Conan sound like a yokel? He was from a small mountain village and was raised as a slave.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

PeterCat posted:

Well, wouldn't Conan sound like a yokel? He was from a small mountain village and was raised as a slave.

His dad sounds completely normal when he’s telling him about the riddle of steel. Conan’s just special

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Power Khan posted:

Arnold being ridiculous is the best part of that movie!

His commentary track is *amazing.* "I get laid a lot in this movie"

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

That's one of the reasons I'm glad English is my second language. In Alexander for example I think it's cool that the Macedonians all sound Irish and sort of makes sense, but for English speakers it's apparently jarring.

Similarly with movies set in the middle ages of viking period, although I said earlier that there's a language convention for those it's not really ever followed, and it's jarring to hear the actors speak because they either sound like the local equivalent of rich frat boys or speak a dialect that you associate with other things, so it becomes jarring no matter what.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

skasion posted:

His dad sounds completely normal when he’s telling him about the riddle of steel. Conan’s just special

I wonder if this deleted scene is a subtle joke on Arnold's rural accent.

https://youtu.be/kayFrIR-Qfw

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grevling posted:

That's one of the reasons I'm glad English is my second language. In Alexander for example I think it's cool that the Macedonians all sound Irish and sort of makes sense, but for English speakers it's apparently jarring.

Similarly with movies set in the middle ages of viking period, although I said earlier that there's a language convention for those it's not really ever followed, and it's jarring to hear the actors speak because they either sound like the local equivalent of rich frat boys or speak a dialect that you associate with other things, so it becomes jarring no matter what.

I think ppl care way too much about language in movies and what accents ppl have.

It reminds me of mouthbreathers who will hate a show because they see an anacronistic item that 99% of ppl will never know about, or those who hates perfectly good sci fi because there's no sound in space.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

PeterCat posted:

I wonder if this deleted scene is a subtle joke on Arnold's rural accent.

https://youtu.be/kayFrIR-Qfw

lmao

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Don Gato posted:

Zhang Ziyi is from Beijing :agesilaus:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Don Gato posted:

Yeah, my Mandarin is terrible but even I can tell sometimes when people aren't native speakers and are real bad at it. BD Wong in Mr Robot for example. Great actor playing a great part, but his Mandarin is as bad as mine.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grevling posted:

I still have no loving idea about what accent Angelina Jolie was trying to speak with.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Alhazred posted:

I still have no loving idea about what accent Angelina Jolie was trying to speak with.

All of them and none of them at the same time

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Dalael posted:

All of them and none of them at the same time

Known as the "Aiden Gillian as Petyr Baelish" technique.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fader Movitz posted:

Netflix released a series called Barbaren about Arminius and Teutoburgen. It's pretty good and the Romans don't speak posh English, they speak classical Latin with the hard C and V as W.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToTx8pRUeW0

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1299148337774354432?s=19

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Arnold being ridiculous is the best part of that movie!

His commentary track is *amazing.* "I get laid a lot in this movie"

There's a moment where he questions an entire plot thread. "Why didn't they just resurrect her like they resurrected me?"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is it the first or second movie where they realize during the commentary that there's a dude loving a goat in the background?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Well I'm sure I'm on some sort of list for searching for this, but it was from Conan the Barbarian and it was a llama. Tent on the left.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S7tOWoDVQLU

Kylaer posted:

Known as the "Aiden Gillian as Petyr Baelish" technique.

This works though because iirc the character grew up poor and has consciously changed his accent to be more upper class.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Arnolds accent is a happy accident because in Conan it sounds to an English speaker it makes him kind of sound like the stereotypical cave-man/Tarzan who no speak good, and In Terminator 1 it added to the effect of him being a robot that wasn't quite pulling off being a person. As his career exploded he still has his accent but it's changed into a "normal" accent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hercules in New York is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUZect_pgY

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"I am kheyrkooleyes"

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I just watched it for the first time last weekend and it's something else that's for sure.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Dalael posted:

those who hates perfectly good sci fi because there's no sound in space.
It's less that I hate the inaccuracy and more that I feel sounds are a contrivance that actually reduce the dramatic effect more often than not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lurker2006 posted:

It's less that I hate the inaccuracy and more that I feel sounds are a contrivance that actually reduce the dramatic effect more often than not.

not every space explosion has to involve creeping horror at a distance

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Having finished watching Barbarians, it seems the biggest gripe people have about it is language and stirrups. Which lead me to wonder...

Was there really no stirrups in the ancient world? It seems like such an obvious invention...

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How historically accurate is the norwegian show Norsemen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi8e4M3Us9A

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dalael posted:

Having finished watching Barbarians, it seems the biggest gripe people have about it is language and stirrups. Which lead me to wonder...

Was there really no stirrups in the ancient world? It seems like such an obvious invention...

Depends where you are. Stirrups are invented in the 1st century BC (it's not entirely clear where, but India and China first apparently), but aren't a thing in Europe until the 7th century or so.

It's also not entirely obvious, if you don't have a correctly designed saddle putting a bunch of weight into stirrups will gently caress your horse up.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 30, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Back in law school a friend and I tried to turn "every time we can't understand what Arnold says" into a drinking game

I don't really remember much past the Bear

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
CMXCVIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
CMXCIX