Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Cashman and Ciscoe are among the few remaining vestiges of Weird Seattle and we must do whatever we can to protect and preserve them.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Laterite posted:

Cashman and Ciscoe are among the few remaining vestiges of Weird Seattle and we must do whatever we can to protect and preserve them.

My dad used to love listening to Gardening with Ciscoe, it's just a really chill radio show to listen to.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

logger posted:

My dad used to love listening to Gardening with Ciscoe, it's just a really chill radio show to listen to.

He's just a happy dude who loves plants and, moreover, should hold public office to ensure the entire state's natural wildlife is maintained sustainably.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I miss NWCN.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I had the pleasure of having drinks with Ciscoe and he is the nicest and friendliest person you will ever meet. And while I knew he was on tv and the radio I was unprepared for the sheer amount of people who recognized him and either wanted him to come over to their table to talk to their friends or unprompted pulled up a chair to sit at our table to ask him gardening questions. All of which he did happily. And I'm talking like guys in their early 20s even. He is beloved by young and old!

I don't know how he manages to live his life when every time he goes to a public location it becomes a press conference.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pat Cashman now runs a podcast where he interviews former cast members of Almost Live:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlmostLiveSA

I'll have to give that a listen.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Ciscoe is awesome and everyone should be excited about plants.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
FEMA app is beeping at me that about protests in Bellevue and a emergency weapons ban, anybody know what is going on?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

FEMA app is beeping at me that about protests in Bellevue and a emergency weapons ban, anybody know what is going on?

There's a protest in Bellevue and BPD wants to go ham

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

There's a protest in Bellevue and BPD wants to go ham

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1320216923875889158?s=21

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You can have guns just DONT USE THEM

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I've seen it suggested that this state law https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290 prevents cities from doing any kind of firearm ban that goes beyond state law even in an emergency like this, but I'm not sure. I am not a lawyer. It's for sure kind of messed up, either way.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's so they can go hard on protestors with water bottles and shields and do mass arrests with charges but simultaneously throw their hands up in the air when a crowd of MAGA hats with longarms show up and say there's nothing to be done about that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I was trying to figure out why I received an Amber Alert that Bellevue was under martial law tonight.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah I was trying to figure out why I received an Amber Alert that Bellevue was under martial law tonight.

The cops in Bellevue are extra cowardly.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Apparently a giant nest of murder hornets were found in Washington yesterday. I knew they were keeping them for the season finale.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This is the foreshadowing so we don't forget the plot thread.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

1glitch0 posted:

Apparently a giant nest of murder hornets were found in Washington yesterday. I knew they were keeping them for the season finale.

From what I read, all the hornets were sucked up into a vacuum tube, hauled away for study, and the nest was destroyed. So far so good?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

seiferguy posted:

From what I read, all the hornets were sucked up into a vacuum tube, hauled away for study, and the nest was destroyed. So far so good?

Hornets are still alive right? Are they infected with Rage™️?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Between this and SPD Acting Chief banking OT to spend if the election gets stolen... they might be getting memos the rest of us do not

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1321129565801095174

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Gerund posted:

Between this and SPD Acting Chief banking OT to spend if the election gets stolen... they might be getting memos the rest of us do not

https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1321129565801095174

Republicans couldn't telegraph what they are planning more. It's loving obvious. They're going to steal it with the SC and send in the troops to kill any uprising. It's obvious. Every piece of news coming out about it makes it clear. The only chance is if Biden just overwhelms the election when it's indisputable.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

Republicans couldn't telegraph what they are planning more. It's loving obvious. They're going to steal it with the SC and send in the troops to kill any uprising. It's obvious. Every piece of news coming out about it makes it clear. The only chance is if Biden just overwhelms the election when it's indisputable.

What, exactly makes you think that would stop them?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lol if you're not buying a bag of beans every time you leave the house now

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

1glitch0 posted:

The only chance is if Biden just overwhelms the election when it's indisputable.

why do you think this would make any difference? I mean, I agree with most of what you're saying but I don't think there is someone in the administration who is going to burst through a door and exclaim 'IT HAPPENED- WE'RE DONE FOR! BIDEN HAS BROKEN THE ARBITRARY UNKNOWN VOTE THRESHOLD THAT DESTROYS OUR PLANS OF PAINTING THE ELECTION AS ILLEGITIMATE'

level up and just start buying 25/50 lb bags of dry goods at restaurant supply stores/cash and carry like a true prepper in denial

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
my disaster prep goal is to have the house that you're stoked to find in whatever post-apocalyptic videogames you've played over the last 30 years. 'drat, a good variety of canned goods, dry goods, water purification tablets, AND small calibre ammo? jackpot!!'

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Beans aren't low in stock. What is is hard taco shells. It's bullshit. Winco is all out in all locations. I barely found some at Albertsons.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also just been buying bags of flour whenever I see them. There's absolutely no way of knowing what the gently caress November is going to look like.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The only thing I haven't been able to get from the grocery store is Diet Dr Pepper and Cream Soda. I really want to try it but soda stock continues to be abysmal at my local Fred Meyer. No issues getting hand soap, tp, beans, flour, rice, etc.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Gerund posted:

The Trump administration is not going to send any memos to Seattle and Portland cops. Trump, Barr, and friends see the cops as enemies because they didn't immediately start shooting up CHOP and the Portland protests with rifles and shotguns.

The cops have good reason to be worried about election night protests - protesters will see them as the Trumpist collaborators that they are - but Kushner isn't calling up Wheeler and Diaz saying "we've got a secret plan to steal the election and here's how it's going to go down."

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

why do you think this would make any difference? I mean, I agree with most of what you're saying but I don't think there is someone in the administration who is going to burst through a door and exclaim 'IT HAPPENED- WE'RE DONE FOR! BIDEN HAS BROKEN THE ARBITRARY UNKNOWN VOTE THRESHOLD THAT DESTROYS OUR PLANS OF PAINTING THE ELECTION AS ILLEGITIMATE'

If Biden wins decisively enough, there won't be any room for the Supreme Court to "credibly" step in. Bush v. Gore only happened because there was a razor-thin recount in a critical state, and legitimate disputes over how to count the votes.

Trump obviously wants to use the Supreme Court to take the election. The conservatives on the Supreme Court would like to step in, too, if they get the chance. But, without some controversy that can plausibly be handled in court, they can't just say "well Biden won every critical state by hundreds of thousands of votes, but we just don't like that, Trump wins."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DrNutt posted:

The only thing I haven't been able to get from the grocery store is Diet Dr Pepper and Cream Soda. I really want to try it but soda stock continues to be abysmal at my local Fred Meyer. No issues getting hand soap, tp, beans, flour, rice, etc.

I remember seeing something a while back about artificial sweetener being in short supply. I did finally see caffeine-free diet coke at Winco last week.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Space Gopher posted:

If Biden wins decisively enough

but again; what's a "decisive" differential? is it just popular vote or just EC or a combo of both? Everyone keeps speaking of a 'decisive' victory but there is no actual definition of what that is.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Space Gopher posted:

The Trump administration is not going to send any memos to Seattle and Portland cops. Trump, Barr, and friends see the cops as enemies because they didn't immediately start shooting up CHOP and the Portland protests with rifles and shotguns.

The cops have good reason to be worried about election night protests - protesters will see them as the Trumpist collaborators that they are - but Kushner isn't calling up Wheeler and Diaz saying "we've got a secret plan to steal the election and here's how it's going to go down."
Regardless of whether or not Trump & Barr are on the side of the SPD, the SPD is most definitely on Trump's side. They don't need a memo or a secret message or whatever.

Space Gopher posted:

If Biden wins decisively enough, there won't be any room for the Supreme Court to "credibly" step in. Bush v. Gore only happened because there was a razor-thin recount in a critical state, and legitimate disputes over how to count the votes.

Trump obviously wants to use the Supreme Court to take the election. The conservatives on the Supreme Court would like to step in, too, if they get the chance. But, without some controversy that can plausibly be handled in court, they can't just say "well Biden won every critical state by hundreds of thousands of votes, but we just don't like that, Trump wins."
It's interesting that you think we've suddenly found the norm Trump and the Republicans won't violate. It's this one, finally!

Also, given the numbers voting by mail, it is extremely, extremely unlikely Biden is going to be up at all on election night, let alone by a huge margin. And all they need to do is throw out the mail-in ballots, which they've already laid the groundwork for.

Normalcy bias in action, here.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

but again; what's a "decisive" differential? is it just popular vote or just EC or a combo of both? Everyone keeps speaking of a 'decisive' victory but there is no actual definition of what that is.

Enough that general fuckery with late mail-in ballots or whatever won’t actually change the outcome.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember seeing something a while back about artificial sweetener being in short supply. I did finally see caffeine-free diet coke at Winco last week.

Ah okay. We are pretty well stocked up on staples but I don't think the apocalypse is coming on Nov 4th either. I think statements about police are worrisome but I personally think we are about to be looking at a 1980/84 level of of landslide, at least the version of that that is possible in 2020.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Solkanar512 posted:

Enough that general fuckery with late mail-in ballots or whatever won’t actually change the outcome.

well if the democrats were that concerned about it perhaps they should have nominated a candidate capable of creating that gap. Unfortunately, as Thanatosian already mentioned, a Biden/Harris ticket seems unlikely to provide that gap via in-person voting on election day. The second there is any actual threat to mailed or absentee ballots (and that is guaranteed; they've been setting the board to do EXACTLY that) the entire thing is up in the air no matter what the numbers say.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
we're talking about a guy who, after being justifiably declared the winner via EC, STILL went on for months after the election about how the popular vote shouldn't be considered valid because of voter fraud. I can not comprehend the mindset of "well if we just run the score up enough he will concede" because there isn't a single instance of that happening throughout his entire life. This is the same guy that doubled down on his calling for the death of the Central Park 5 after it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were innocent. Why in the world would he change course when the stakes are this high?

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 28, 2020

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Regardless, Trump is national and this is the PNW thread. Let's highlight the fact that Ted Wheeler, coward and colossal twerp, is attempting to delay today's vote on defunding PPB until next Wednesday. The astute reader will notice that this delay will allow him and his shitheads in crime on city council to not further jeopardize their chances of reelection by voting against the overwhelming interest of the people they supposedly represent. What a fuckin worm.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Regardless, Trump is national and this is the PNW thread. Let's highlight the fact that Ted Wheeler, coward and colossal twerp, is attempting to delay today's vote on defunding PPB until next Wednesday. The astute reader will notice that this delay will allow him and his shitheads in crime on city council to not further jeopardize their chances of reelection by voting against the overwhelming interest of the people they supposedly represent. What a fuckin worm.

Over the last 4 years my distaste of him has gone from a somewhat hyperbolic to outright and deeply personal loathing. Like, he’s looked at every single choice and done the most openly and egregiously offensive possible thing, every single time!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Different states count ballots in different orders. Some states count day-of voting first and mail-in last, some count mail-in first and day-of later. So we can't uniformly assume that results as of election night will all be off in one direction or the other. This NYT story covers how different states count and report results really well, should be mandatory reading for anyone making predictions about how different counts will go https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/27/upshot/election-results-timing.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

"Decisive" in this case means "outside any plausible recount controversy." So, an EC victory that can't be overturned by a recount or similar rule changes.

If there's a Florida 2000/WA Gov 2004 style recount, where the candidates are separated by at most a few thousand votes, that could do it. It would need to be in a decisive state, as well. If the candidates are fighting over different interpretations of vote counting rules in a specific state, that would lead to different outcomes for that state, which would ultimately flip the electoral college, that's where it could go to the Supreme Court and they'd rewrite the rules to favor Trump.

Thanatosian posted:

Regardless of whether or not Trump & Barr are on the side of the SPD, the SPD is most definitely on Trump's side. They don't need a memo or a secret message or whatever.

It's interesting that you think we've suddenly found the norm Trump and the Republicans won't violate. It's this one, finally!

Also, given the numbers voting by mail, it is extremely, extremely unlikely Biden is going to be up at all on election night, let alone by a huge margin. And all they need to do is throw out the mail-in ballots, which they've already laid the groundwork for.

Normalcy bias in action, here.

The idea that Trump walks in and simply does what he wants without regard to any rules or norms is Trumpist propaganda. In fact, he's been stymied by boring rules and norms at least as often as he's been able to run roughshod over them. Most of what he's actually been able to do is exploit the grey areas and edge cases where the rules do give him power, not just do whatever he wants.

Remember when he was threatening to send the Army and National Guard into Seattle and Portland to blow away protesters, and then it turned into a few federal cop assholes mostly restricted to standing behind a fence at a courthouse and lighting off tear gas grenades? Still incredibly bad, but not anything like what he wanted to do.

Remember when he was going to unilaterally end DACA and deport all the Dreamers, until that was stopped by the courts? The Dreamers are still here and their presence is still legal. It's a precarious victory, but Trump didn't get what he wanted because of those mean old rules.

If there's a really close election in a decisive state, we're hosed. But, the power that Trump and SCOTUS have here only exists in those grey areas. If the election is decisive, there won't be a space where they can exert power.