Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HD DAD posted:

TNG consistently had the best time-gently caress episodes. I really can’t think of a bad one.

Insurrection where Picard develops the ability to slow down time with horniness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Time Squared isn't great - I mean, it's an interesting concept, but the execution is so muddled and the ending lacks explanation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angry Salami posted:

Time Squared isn't great - I mean, it's an interesting concept, but the execution is so muddled and the ending lacks explanation.
Yeah that one was not good

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Angry Salami posted:

I think they'd planned for Q to reveal he was responsible for the time-fuckery in 'Q Who?', but the idea got dropped.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Payndz posted:

I think they'd planned for Q to reveal he was responsible for the time-fuckery in 'Q Who?', but the idea got dropped.

yeah

i have a soft spot for time squared because it was early in the run where time anomalies were still somewhat novel and the crew is just flipping out over the weird mystery of the duplicate shuttle and picard

like, the briefing where the play they enterprise's destruction was very dramatic - i don't think it would have landed the same way after seeing a dozen more time loops though

Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 28, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

time squared is definitely a lower tier time episode, but I still like it. sad sack picard determined to flee with his shuttle is fun to watch.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm surprised the Time's Arrow haters haven't burst in yet!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure the only reason We'll Always Have Paris hasn't come up is that it's just that forgettable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CPColin posted:

It’s bad but it’s better than Time Squared

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CPColin posted:

Hoo. Ha! Hmph, hmph. Hoo!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Shame on you, Mr. Clemens!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s bad but it’s better than Time Squared

It’s bad but in a super fun way.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

CPColin posted:

I feel like, it's yes technically a time episode, but it's really a holodeck episode when you think about it.

Think about it........

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

It’s bad but in a super fun way.
My biggest problem is that the stakes are lower than the episode tries to claim

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I like Time's Arrow. gently caress the haters.

Sam Clemens should show up on Lower Decks and mention its not the first time he's been on a starship.

Edit: gently caress it, make him a captain. "Why it was a transporter accident!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It would be hilarious if every time they encountered another Starfleet vessel it was captained by a historical figure brought through time or a holodeck character given form or an unfrozen modern man or the clone of a dead hero but never just like, regular future guy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Time's Arrow is gimmicky but an OK episode. The two-parter I really don't like is Descent. Aside from a few good scenes, the 'evil Data' plot is pretty lame.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

It would be hilarious if every time they encountered another Starfleet vessel it was captained by a historical figure brought through time or a holodeck character given form or an unfrozen modern man or the clone of a dead hero but never just like, regular future guy

Lower Decks should somehow finally canonize the identity of Enterprise’s Future Guy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I prefer Descent to Time’s Arrow because the Data/Lore stuff is at least more interesting

Neither is great though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Time's Arrow is gimmicky but an OK episode. The two-parter I really don't like is Descent. Aside from a few good scenes, the 'evil Data' plot is pretty lame.

TNG doesn't really have a good track record of two-parters. Time's Arrow is bad, Gambit is really uneven, Birthright and Descent are both hot messes (and Birthright is also criminally boring). BOBW2 doesn't really stick the landing (although it does have some genuinely great scenes), and Unification 2 is wildly disjointed. Chain of Command and Redemption are the only two-parters that, for me, really shine all the way through.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Timby posted:

TNG doesn't really have a good track record of two-parters. Time's Arrow is bad, Gambit is really uneven, Birthright and Descent are both hot messes (and Birthright is also criminally boring). BOBW2 doesn't really stick the landing (although it does have some genuinely great scenes), and Unification 2 is wildly disjointed. Chain of Command and Redemption are the only two-parters that, for me, really shine all the way through.

Agreed. Encounter At Farpoint is another example. It would have worked much better as a tightly written single episode than a sprawling two-parter full of scenes like Riker manually reattaching the stardrive section of the Enterprise.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Lower Decks should somehow finally canonize the identity of Enterprise’s Future Guy.

a whole season of mysterious Future Guy just causing petty chaos, slapping drinks out of hands and upsetting pets and such

"FUTURE GUY! drat it! Now it looks like I pissed myself just before the big meeting with the Bzzit Khaht!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I like to think that after Mark Twain went back to his own time, he got drafted by Daniels into the Temporal Cold War because he now knows about The Future and him and Past Guinan got up to some badass 19th Century time adventures in between his career as an author.

Brawnfire posted:

a whole season of mysterious Future Guy just causing petty chaos, slapping drinks out of hands and upsetting pets and such

"FUTURE GUY! drat it! Now it looks like I pissed myself just before the big meeting with the Bzzit Khaht!"

If they bring Future Guy back they need to have James Horan return to voice him, and bring the same energy he brought to FF7 Remake President Shinra to the role. Just this smug gently caress who thinks he’s untouchable until he suddenly, violently, isn’t.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

If they bring Future Guy back they need to have James Horan return to voice him, and bring the same energy he brought to FF7 Remake President Shinra to the role. Just this smug gently caress who thinks he’s untouchable until he suddenly, violently, isn’t.
Or better yet, Skull Face from MGSV

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

I've been doing a DS9 rewatch over the past month or so, and I had a :aaa: moment when I realized James Horan was Ikat'ika in By Inferno's Light.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of the most amusing things one Lower Decks was "Q" showing up at the end of the episode and they were all like "not in the mood for your bullshit" and just walked away.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

One of the most amusing things one Lower Decks was "Q" showing up at the end of the episode and they were all like "not in the mood for your bullshit" and just walked away.

And then Q just lazily chasing after them in his floating judge throne going “Oh come oooooooooooon, please?”

I feel like we’ve completed some kind of weird circle where Discord on My Little Pony was blatantly based on Q, and now after like 15 years or whatever of DeLancie being on MLP, now Q is pulling influence from Discord.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nine-gear crow posted:

I like to think that after Mark Twain went back to his own time, he got drafted by Daniels into the Temporal Cold War because he now knows about The Future and him and Past Guinan got up to some badass 19th Century time adventures in between his career as an author.
... .

I'm disappointed that this isn't a novel series.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I do kind of wonder why they associated Q with puzzles in LD, though

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Brawnfire posted:

Probably because the first and last encounter with Q on TNG was a puzzle for Picard to solve?

The joke was funny with all of the mixing of the games, not exactly having any clue as to what Q really wanted them to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_ukrfOF-Q

Everything about that scene was gold. Them being dressed as chess pieces, facing off against cards, who had hockey sticks and were shuffling yet smaller cards, with football goal posts in the back, and then the soccer ball shows up.

"Clearly he wants us to play...something."

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 28, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Brawnfire posted:

Wasn't it just chess? Q is more into throwing people into deadly games.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Probably because the first and last encounter with Q on TNG was a puzzle for Picard to solve?

The joke was funny with all of the mixing of the games, not exactly having any clue as to what Q really wanted them to do.

Also the second time Q shows up he whisks the bridge crew down to the soundstage planet and is like “Let’s play a game, shall we.” And then makes Riker into a Q and everyone struggles to figure out what the gently caress Q wants because the crew in Season 1 TNG was dumb as poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the second time Q shows up he whisks the bridge crew down to the soundstage planet and is like “Let’s play a game, shall we.” And then makes Riker into a Q and everyone struggles to figure out what the gently caress Q wants because the crew in Season 1 TNG was dumb as poo poo.

Yeah, and that's even underplaying it.

He takes them, makes them face off against pig creatures, dressed as French soldiers, firing muskets, that clearly weren't because they were energy weapons, and they had a mysterious penalty box.

The LD scene was an exaggeration, but not by much.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I felt like watching TNG all the way through for the first time so I just watched Encounter at Farpoint. It was pretty good IDK:shrug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boxturret posted:

I felt like watching TNG all the way through for the first time so I just watched Encounter at Farpoint. It was pretty good IDK:shrug:

I watched Encounter At Farpoint earlier this year and while it wasn’t good (and downright cringey at time), I enjoyed it. When it comes to Trek especially it is more than okay to like things that other people don’t.

A friend of mine went through and watched Season 1 TNG a little while back and we were laughing about it via Discord PMs, and his overall take was that he really liked it, so I said “well hang on, because it gets even better as it goes on.”

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I said at the time, the humour that TNG gets from Q are the pauses where he waits for the crew to understand whatever he's thrown at them and the faux disappointment when they don't - LD did not have that pacing at all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It came off as more games-master than trickster trials but meh, at least we got some Q

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Picard is such a dick to Riker for absolutely no reason in Encounter at Farpoint

“Do this manual saucer re-connection. Why? Because I said so!”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard is such a dick to Riker for absolutely no reason in Encounter at Farpoint

“Do this manual saucer re-connection. Why? Because I said so!”

"Are you a Riker, or a Rikan't?"

"What?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The only thing that stood out as being weird was when Troi talked to Riker with her mind when they first me, but that was mainly because her voice sounded off. There's some awkward stuff here and there but most of it seems on purpose and I think it works.