Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elias_Maluco posted:

You talking about the support for lava jato and the impeachment? Im aware of that. But I dont think they expected or wanted a Bolsonaro out of that, just another tucano

But Trump also supports regime changes in those countries, he just seems so far focused in other stuff first. The difference is that Trump and Bolsonaro are openly professing the same neofascist ideas and lies, and supporting each other on that, and sharing strategies to advance that ideology and so on.

To me, thats worst. Just as I would hate to have Aécio Neves as president, but Bolsonaro is worst

We dont vote for president of the United States anyway, but I personally want to see the orange pig loses and I think thats best for us

Trump is 0-2 in Latin American fascist coups.

Obama/Biden was 3 for 3. They have the full legitimacy to overthrow governments on a whim, and Biden has made it clear he supports right wing lunatic coups in any country that dares to have natural resources that Wall Street wants to exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

We dont vote for president of the United States anyway, but I personally want to see the orange pig loses and I think thats best for us

I see your point. However, foreign influence against us is much more than presidential policies, right?

Trump has severely weakened the State Department, for example. This is what coordinates all the different interests and actions towards what is regarded as beneficial to the US government. In terms of "legitimizing far-right", if we are going to consider their history on doing that, they are effectively crippled for the moment because the modus operandi was always "have our own mad dog in charge"

Bolsonaro is an incompetent rear end in a top hat too, but under a Biden administration, he would be "advised" in many important ways to help things move smoothly or given how unstable his position is atm, hello Mourão!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think there's a good option for Brazil, but i think the harms are different.

A Trump wins means bozo will continue to have a green light to just burn down the Amazon, be friendly with the militias, etc.

A Biden wins means the US going all in on moro president. That would potentially lead to criminalization of the left and of social movements at a level not seen since the dictatorship.

Trump legitimizes Bozo's worst actions in a way that Biden wouldn't, but Bidn will interfere in Brazilian elections in a way that Trump wouldn't know how.

The last option is potentially worse but not necessarily guaranteed. It's the one bird in the hand or two in the bush scenario, except the birds have a taste for human flesh. Either way, as a dual citizen I can vote in American elections and I went for Howie Hawkins.

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Oct 28, 2020

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Agreed, but I don't think they will go for Moro. He is a spent force except for a small fraction of deluded fools, tainted by both associating with Bozo and 'betraying' him. No one likes an opportunist.

Not, it'll be some Luciano Huck figure, talking about saving the ecosystem and returning the the peaceful ways of consensus neoliberalism.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Sephyr posted:

it'll be some Luciano Huck figure talking about saving the ecosystem and returning the the peaceful ways of consensus neoliberalism

I just feel this slow burn towards that, and you already can hear the middle class white women of São Paulo "TODOS OS POBRINHOS QUE ELE AJUDOU"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Agreed, but I don't think they will go for Moro. He is a spent force except for a small fraction of deluded fools, tainted by both associating with Bozo and 'betraying' him. No one likes an opportunist.

Not, it'll be some Luciano Huck figure, talking about saving the ecosystem and returning the the peaceful ways of consensus neoliberalism.

Sure, not necessarily Moro, but certainly whoever the lavajato prosecutors prefer.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Bolsonaro loves Trump so much he spontaneously does everything to copy him and please him. Which means he dont even needs to intervene on us, dont even have to throw us a biscuit for Brazil to be his willing happy puppy

Besides, Trump is a fascist. I much prefer the old devil, the old "same as always" even though that is quite bad too. As I would prefer a bad neoliberal PSDB president than this evil pig who got elected praising torturers and uses the presidency to spread 4chan conspiracies and the word of Olavo de Carvalho

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 16:39 on Oct 28, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biden let all the torturers from the Bush administration walk. He supports torture as well.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Enough about the Amerikkkan Imperialist fake election and more about our own ridiculous mayoral fake election! How hosed you think your city will be if the leading candidate wins?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Kalil has been surprisingly decent in Belo Horizonte, and looks like he'll win comfortably there.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Florianópolis looks that it may have an interesting second round if PSOL goes through, otherwise same old

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Plutonis posted:

Enough about the Amerikkkan Imperialist fake election and more about our own ridiculous mayoral fake election! How hosed you think your city will be if the leading candidate wins?

Here we have an oligarch PSDB mayor polling at 44% and no one else breaking 10%. It is very demotivating.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Plutonis posted:

me normally: god drat class collaborators will always screw us to hell, lol at thinking the institutions will ever do anything good for the people, we should have a china style cultural revolution and purge the upper class, center left included

me during municipal elections :

things are looking shaky here, the PMDB ex mayor is returning from his stint at the state government and PT decided to put up a relatively unknown woman teacher as their candidate, they've been owning the right hard for 2 consecutive elections now but who the gently caress knows, my city being one of the only ones in RS that didn't get a bozo majority gives me some hope at least

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Belo Horizonte does have a candidate who might help PSOL be less Rio centered, but it looks like he's not getting anywhere for mayor. But she has been doing pretty well in legislative elections. Áurea Carolina seems pretty good, and even some of my more anti-pt relatives like her.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

btw in "bolso is an incompetent fuckup rear end in a top hat" news, there is a decree that authorizes the privatization of public clinics

suddenly mayors everywhere getting really loving angry lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bagual posted:

me during municipal elections :

The second round here is going to be the Bolsonaro candidate (Former cop who was 99% involved in the illegal cop mutiny from January) vs either the Ciro candidate (guy who looks like the villain from The Mask) or the Lula candidate (meh former mayor)

e:

dead gay comedy forums posted:

btw in "bolso is an incompetent fuckup rear end in a top hat" news, there is a decree that authorizes the privatization of public clinics

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Oct 28, 2020

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I recently moved from São Paulo to Cotia so its hard to care about local politics :negative:

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Expressing my Gamer solidarity and voting for Boulos, but I know this is Tucano country.

Anyway hopefully I can :lol: at Russomanno getting all in on the Bolsonaro train and eating poo poo once again

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

dead gay comedy forums posted:

He retreated. I have a feeling that fash is overextended, and that the winds of change are coming, and no matter who gets elected in our imperial metropolis the people are gonna forcefully break this charade in half sooner than doomerbrain might have imagined.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bagual posted:

He retreated. I have a feeling that fash is overextended, and that the winds of change are coming, and no matter who gets elected in our imperial metropolis the people are gonna forcefully break this charade in half sooner than doomerbrain might have imagined.

Probably. Actual percentage population that follow his cult are at most 20% and that's being generous (with many now turning away), others that would vote for him are just moved by antipetismo inertia

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm just really not looking forward to the Vote Him Out No Matter What discourse in 2022. We're 200% getting scolded for not wanting to vote PSDB or whatever.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

bagual posted:

I have a feeling that fash is overextended

oh yes they are

they were before the pandemic but this blew them right open. I have a slightly conspiratorial hunch that the federal government does not want to push for a hard mass vaccination program like in the 1910s/20s because hey, if people feel safe to congregate, then they will be ready to mobilize, and it feels like it is going to be a big one once it goes out

in a perverse way, the pandemic encourages those idiotic decisions because there is no organized popular blowback so to speak, but at the same time, other ways to gauge the temperature show it loving sucks and why yes we are still pissed, so it becomes a kicking can game

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dias posted:

I'm just really not looking forward to the Vote Him Out No Matter What discourse in 2022. We're 200% getting scolded for not wanting to vote PSDB or whatever.

Alckmin got 5% last election,no way they could make to the second round. Unless they get Moro or Huck to run the center right is dead on the water next election

e: the Greenwald news now make me dread that Intercept Brazil might carry water for those two if they get on the second round though lol

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Oct 29, 2020

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

Bolsonaro loves Trump so much he spontaneously does everything to copy him and please him. Which means he dont even needs to intervene on us, dont even have to throw us a biscuit for Brazil to be his willing happy puppy

Besides, Trump is a fascist. I much prefer the old devil, the old "same as always" even though that is quite bad too. As I would prefer a bad neoliberal PSDB president than this evil pig who got elected praising torturers and uses the presidency to spread 4chan conspiracies and the word of Olavo de Carvalho
i will grant you that trump is more outspoken in fascist rhetoric

but biden and the western liberals are all also fascists. what else can you call continuous and never ending support of fascist rightwing coups?

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Plutonis posted:

Alckmin got 5% last election,no way they could make to the second round. Unless they get Moro or Huck to run the center right is dead on the water next election

Maybe you're underestimating the middle class' capacity for amnesia. The ones who've turned away from Bozo mostly want a return to politics as usual, as long as that doesn't mean a PT government. PSDB or something close to it can still reshape itself into "the respectable option for good citizens".

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think that if the Chinese vaccine release in Sao Paulo goes well, Doria will get endless positive press. Bozo will probably start at 33% next time, which means that it will be a tough fight for second place, and the media will go all in on the non-PT second place contender.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://twitter.com/crisvector/status/1322212723627823104

boulos becoming the meme candidate is giving me a bit of hope, "they're letting us dream" lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i'm not reposting here but Eduardo Bolsonaro posted loli hentai on twitter

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

he really needs to [REDACTED]

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Plutonis posted:

no loving way

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

Yeah I saw that. Seriously it’s why I support gulags for horny people.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And it's the exact same picture a Portuguese Centre Right person used to decry the exact same thing A YEAR AGO! I was trying to find the opinion piece where a columnist calls that a hosed up move, but God Forbid a single page opinion piece can be kept for more than a year.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Oct 30, 2020

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

comedyblissoption posted:

i will grant you that trump is more outspoken in fascist rhetoric

but biden and the western liberals are all also fascists. what else can you call continuous and never ending support of fascist rightwing coups?

I think it is fair to say it is going to be bad either way, but Biden handlers will simply take more the velvet glove approach but absolutely the same goals in mind. That said, I think Trump's failures are more than an illustration of the incompetence of his administration but that the US hold itself is weakening.

A Libya-style operation probably isn't possible today simply because immediately the Chinese/Russians would get involved and it would go from an easily winnable fight to something the public might start waking up to. The beltway knows that since Vietnam, the American public won't stomach a real fight.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

conservatives keep sharing pedo pics i wonder why :thunk:

i've been rediscovering this band, this low res clip is one of the best loving brazilian songs ever god drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=019zizDKqwA

this band is a treasure to mankind and you ghotta listen to it, woker than woke with the most agressive samba metal ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU2vNzdmFPM

its friday my doods im ficken drunk lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I saw that. Seriously it’s why I support gulags for horny people.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

MODS

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Apparently, the highly publicized Ferrer rape case ended with....*checks notes*

...the lawyer humiliating the victim live and showing (clothed) glamour shots of her to claim she is an opportunist slut, and the prosecution settling on an 'accidental rape' pledge (the sexual version of manslaughter), which does not exist in legal literature, so it was thrown out and the rapist in question declared innocent.

Between the actively nazi governor and stuff like this, Santa Catarina is not subtle about wanting to be the Waffen-SS HQ of the new neofacist order, huh?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Between the actively nazi governor and stuff like this, Santa Catarina is not subtle about wanting to be the Waffen-SS HQ of the new neofacist order, huh?

lmao, that has been for a while

but hey some of us around here are doing what we can; apparently, we are only behind São Paulo in terms of active antifa groups

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

anyone itt mind explaining this, as apparently grim cannot?

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1323744657688436742?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

anyone itt mind explaining this, as apparently grim cannot?

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1323744657688436742?s=21

It was a rape trial in Santa Catarina (the most pro-Nazi state in here). The defense lawyer humiliated the victim in the audience, saying it was all her fault, he was glad he didn't have a daughter like her, and so on. The judge did nothing to stop this bs and gave a not guilty sentence. This happened despite there being very good evidence the guy was guilty as gently caress.
Really, it was more or less the usual for sex crimes trials in here, only this time everyone could see what was going on because the audience video leaked.

Edit - some extra info:
* The medical investigators found the guy's semen in the girl, despite his denial they had sex;
* The guy, to absolutely nobody's surprise, is a white businessman.

Global Disorder has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Nov 3, 2020