Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pentaro posted:

Everything in that Bonk ad is accurate.

I don't know how I've never seen this before, but this is going to be extremely hard to top as Most 90s Thing.

e: awful snipe; here, have a very 90s thing: a t-shirt with a sex joke based on a short-lived ad campaign

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultrafilter posted:

That makes way more sense than Super Mario Bros.

Not really, The SMB are just eating shrooms left and right.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DrBouvenstein posted:

I can't tell you the number of times I saw this ad for Bonk's Adventure when reading comics in the early to mid 90's:

Never played it, or any Turbo Grafix 16 game for that matter, but drat if this ad doesn't make it look confusing as gently caress.

He's a...caveman? Who fights sort of dinosaurs, but also needs to save a dinosaur princess...then there's a tractor thing, and power flowers? Also he hits things with his head? Sure.

Bonk is a weird fuckin' game series but it rules

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This dapper child's edutainment levels are reaching a worryingly unsafe threshold.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

There could be a whole thread about video card boxes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

This was my first real video card and it was loving amazing.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

Unperson_47 posted:

There could be a whole thread about video card boxes.

I've always wanted to see a game jam based on making the nonexistent games whose art was on the box of 2000s graphics card packaging

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My first job out of college was doing customer support at VisionTek. One day a customer called and complained to my co-worker about the box art on one of our video cards. I believe it was on the back where a couple of teenagers were depicted, a boy and a girl, and if I remember correctly with spraypaint cans. The customer was complaining because the girl's top button of her pants was undone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

16-bit RDRAM posted:

I've always wanted to see a game jam based on making the nonexistent games whose art was on the box of 2000s graphics card packaging

Even in a field as warped as GPU boxes... "Dobby, but he's a Latin Lover and he fucks" is an especially precious gem :allears:

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Not 90s but remember gun ram?

I know none of the parts are ram but "gun ram" captures how stupid and funny this trend was

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

the PCIE slots are all hosed up on this one because the owner tried to take his computer on a plane and TSA saw that gun on the x-ray and then tried to find it

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Oh god I remember PNY having a series of just weird cyberfaces on their boxes for some reason.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Artist: Yeah i'm just gonna draw my Beetlejuice ICP alopecia fetish art
Marketing: Fine, as long as you make the tits big

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's just a character from unreal tournament.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Snip.... I believe it was on the back where a couple of teenagers were depicted, a boy and a girl, and if I remember correctly with spraypaint cans. The customer was complaining because the girl's top button of her pants was undone.

I have to admit, I am now complaining but only because I don’t know the reason?????

Why would the top button of her pants be unbuttoned???

Was it the style at the time??? Should I have been unbuttoning my pants in the 90’s? So many questions...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sweevo posted:

Oh I get it, it's Radeon, so they put a Radeon the box

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

namlosh posted:

I have to admit, I am now complaining but only because I don’t know the reason?????

Why would the top button of her pants be unbuttoned???

Was it the style at the time??? Should I have been unbuttoning my pants in the 90’s? So many questions...

I can't even remember which video card it was, but this was 2004 so perhaps wearing pants like that with a cropped tank top (I think) was the style at the time.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Sweevo posted:

Said artist went on to design Jack from Mass Effect 2.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Behold, Ruby. Something something redhead ninja something. Centerpiece of ATi marketing and box art cover girl for official brand manufacturer Sapphire for years, from at least 2002 until well after AMD bought them. Star of Radeon tech demos. Hell they even produced a figurine in Japan. Star of an astounding amount of bad fanfiction and even worse hentai.

e. Some dude got paid a salary by ATi to draw his OC anime waifu for some six years. I almost want to applaud for the sheer cheeky gumption of pulling that off.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Oct 17, 2020

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Not 90s but remember gun ram?

I know none of the parts are ram but "gun ram" captures how stupid and funny this trend was

We get sh&#^*t done.
I guess what I’m trying to say is:
DON’T. MESS. WITH. US.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
A Japanese 3D Demo reel for a very obscure console. Full of 90s 3D insanity.
(25:15 timestamp)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM04vH2et5A&t=1513s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh I get it, it's Radeon, so they put a Radeon the box

God drat it. :mad:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I dunno if it's just that I have very limited tastes, or the YouTube Music algo sucks, or what, but I always end up hearing Two Princes, followed usually really quickly by Flagpole Sitta, at least once a session. Which is the more 90s White People Problems is up for debate, but jesus is there a more 90s sentence than "I want to publish zines, and rage against machines"?

Edit: Also, a few pages back, there was talk of VHS board games, and it just brought up memories of when I worked in Classic Cardboard at PAX Unplugged a few years back, ten feet from the Star Trek: TNG VHS game.

I think one guy beat it, and we cheered for the dude, cus from what I saw, that MF was hard as poo poo.

Neito has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Oct 29, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neito posted:

I think one guy beat it

:gowron:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
For some reason (cultural cringe I suppose) it was really uncool to like Silverchair in Australia, at least where I grew up it was. People would call them Nirvana in Pyjamas. But hearing it now it's kinda nuts how good they were for 15yos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZD982yrmx4

Funky See Funky Do has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Oct 29, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol I just posted a Silverchair update in my Beavis and Butthead thread in post my favorites.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945511

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Nice, I"m saving that thread for later.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
shade is a good song

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Funky See Funky Do posted:

For some reason (cultural cringe I suppose) it was really uncool to like Silverchair in Australia, at least where I grew up it was. People would call them Nirvana in Pyjamas. But hearing it now it's kinda nuts how good they were for 15yos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZD982yrmx4

Frogstomp was pretty popular in the U.S. as well when it came out and Tomorrow got a ton of play both on radio and MTV in the last years when they were still heavily playing videos.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I dunno if anyone else did this, but I have a distinct memory of buying or owning, for various reasons, strategy guides to games I didn't own. Like, I would get the strategy guide almost as a replacement for getting the game; I know at the very least I had a Super Mario RPG OFFICIAL NINTENDO POWER GUIDE for a while before getting the game. I would read it like a book, front to back and then back again. I think my parents ended up buying me a copy of SMRPG that Christmas because I spent so much time with that book. I also remember reading one of those "How To Win At Nintendo" books, but for the Turbographix 16, a system I never owned. I kinda wanna try it now that it's trivially emulateable, but I doubt it'll ever live up to what my imagination said Keith Courage in Alpha Zones was.

Also, maybe this is just the magazines I read and my fascination with creepy and the macabre, but didn't it seem like there was a flood of like, weirdly violent games from about, say... Just after the Doom/Mortal Kombat era up until about Half-Life? Like, mostly on the PC, like Postal, but even some console games had that weird kinda x-treme violence motif going on. I remember even Nintendo systems getting in on the act; wasn't War Gods something? IDK why, but otherwise forgettable game Meat Puppet always stuck with me, based solely on it's description in a PC gaming magazine I picked up from the library's free magazine pile.

Iron Crowned posted:

This comes up a lot actually. We're very acclimated to modern TV, where you have scripted original programming every night, all year long. Up until the mid to late 90's, most programming on the major networks consisted of sports and movies. They all had a sitcom night, and a drama night, but everything else was a movie.

Thinking back upon the TV movie thing, in the 90's at least, most of them seemed to have filled roles that modern TV has mid-season replacements for, as I seem to recall them being winter and summer things.

I feel like the death knell of that style of scheduling was NBC, which despite being something of a joke now had a really unprecedented run at the top, from basically Cheers up through the end of Friends. I think part of it was that the rise of the VCR, and then eventually DVDs, took the luster off of being able to see a movie in your house, at the same time that TV's becoming something a respectable actor can do and still be taken seriously.

I also wonder how much of an effect the transition from analog to digital workflows helped...

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Neito posted:

I dunno if anyone else did this, but I have a distinct memory of buying or owning, for various reasons, strategy guides to games I didn't own.

Definitely not alone. We couldn't afford consoles but I could check books out from the library and dream about what they must be like to play.

This is why I have a soft spot for the not-great-or-particularly-well-known NES title Monster Party.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Definitely not alone. We couldn't afford consoles but I could check books out from the library and dream about what they must be like to play.

This is why I have a soft spot for the not-great-or-particularly-well-known NES title Monster Party.

Monster Party always stuck out in my mind (despite again, not having played it) simply because it was such a surreal thing. An onion ring and a fried shrimp as an enemy? The first level turns into a blood-soaked nightmare halfway through? It's straight up the kind of thing that would sound like a creepy pasta if it weren't straight-up real.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

I dunno if it's just that I have very limited tastes, or the YouTube Music algo sucks, or what, but I always end up hearing Two Princes, followed usually really quickly by Flagpole Sitta, at least once a session. Which is the more 90s White People Problems is up for debate, but jesus is there a more 90s sentence than "I want to publish zines, and rage against machines"?

The only difference/that I see/is that one is satire/and the other's not supposed to be.

Now, if that worked, not only have I made my point, you should have this song in your head, which you have forgotten about for like 25 years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFKxWv_Ntpg

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Seldom Posts posted:

The only difference/that I see/is that one is satire/and the other's not supposed to be.

Now, if that worked, not only have I made my point, you should have this song in your head, which you have forgotten about for like 25 years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFKxWv_Ntpg

The only song I remember from them is One Headlight.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I unashamedly like what the front man for Toad the Wet Sprocket went on to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_CX9Qlse_k

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Nipples posted:

Yeah that was the big hit, but this was one of the follow up singles. I remember hearing it on the radio a lot.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

They also had a cover of Heroes on the Godzilla soundtrack. Hell, I even saw that band live and barely remember anything about them other than those two songs.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Bringing Down the Horse is actually a great album.

If you didn't know, the lead singer is Bob Dylan's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neito posted:

Monster Party always stuck out in my mind (despite again, not having played it) simply because it was such a surreal thing. An onion ring and a fried shrimp as an enemy? The first level turns into a blood-soaked nightmare halfway through? It's straight up the kind of thing that would sound like a creepy pasta if it weren't straight-up real.

Thank you, we just wanted to dance.