Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

The PS4 game did that and it legit made me cry so I support this.

Read amazing Spider-Man 400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aunt May dies but here's her sister! It's okay, you can call her Aunt May too.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Codependent Poster posted:

Aunt May dies but here's her sister! It's okay, you can call her Aunt May too.

Aunt May had a dozen younger clones. When she sent them out to train, only one came back, carrying the skulls of the others. This is the true legacy of May Parker.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

bobkatt013 posted:

Nice try that was Osborn who used a stand-in for May!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

I'd recommend 397-400.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

a fragment of May's soul survives, trapped in a wheatcake, seemingly forever

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't see what killing off Peter's only living relative would add to the story to be honest.

E: It's kinda like saying Batman would be better if they killed off Alfred.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 30, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This might have been from David Lynch's original notes but I just don't think he would have executed it in this manner.

Sometimes a joke is just for me.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Secret Cake, the 2021 crossover event comic which will Change The Marvel Universe For Years to Come!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I don't see what killing off Peter's only living relative would add to the story to be honest.

E: It's kinda like saying Batman would be better if they killed off Alfred.

I think people just want change to the status quo, which is rare, and May's continued existence serves as a reminder of OMD and just how much Big Two comics will bend over backwards to fight against that. Like, i didn't care much for Peter becoming Iron Man Jr. and running his own corporation after Secret Wars but it didn't last for long and then after Secret Empire you're telling me this CEO is loving broke and unemployed and has to share an apartment with 2 other dudes... because Spider-Man must always be broke.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

JordanKai posted:

Secret Cake, the 2021 crossover event comic which will Change The Marvel Universe For Years to Come!

There has to be a story in a "What The??!?" or "Not Brand Eccch" somewhere where Galactus' hunger is sated by an endless stack of wheatcakes

TwoPair posted:

Like, i didn't care much for Peter becoming Iron Man Jr. and running his own corporation after Secret Wars but it didn't last for long and then after Secret Empire you're telling me this CEO is loving broke and unemployed and has to share an apartment with 2 other dudes... because Spider-Man must always be broke.

This was something I really, really liked about Superior Spidey. Just Otto being like "you're a goddamn genius and you've been living off of selling photos to this loudmouth idiot? you loving idiot bitch slob."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Killing Aunt May is an obvious nonstarter because they've done it before and it didn't stick so nobody would expect it to stick this time. Sending her off into space is fun, but it kinda goes against the whole street level thing Spider-Man has going for him, if his family is off galivanting in space and making friends with the Skrull king or whatever. Plus, it won't last, she comes back, status quo reset.

So the obvious solution is to simply de-age Aunt May. No more elderly aunt, instead an aunt that's like a couple years younger than Peter because of science or magic. What kind of antics will she get into? Maybe she gets her own book about her adventures.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What I'd do is expose her to Pym Particles so she becomes Ant-May.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This was something I really, really liked about Superior Spidey. Just Otto being like "you're a goddamn genius and you've been living off of selling photos to this loudmouth idiot? you loving idiot bitch slob."

Even in a fantasy universe of wish fulfillment I find it hard to believe there'd be any correlation between someone's intelligence and their economic status. That's simply not how capitalism operates.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I bet the genius inventor with connections to at least 10 of the wealthiest people on the planet would have a hard time securing startup capital and patents for his work

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like to think that despite having more money than god could spend in 3 lifetimes even Tony Stark can’t afford being tied to Peter’s next explosive failure.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Last year Tony released VR goggles that sucked peoples brains out

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

Exactly. He's got his own constant string of gently caress ups to deal with, and you want him to also subsidize Peters?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Stark Industries probably owns a lot of real estate, they could just give him a sweetheart deal on rent for some little hole in the wall where he could open a camera shop. There's a niche for old fashioned film cameras

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vince MechMahon posted:

Exactly. He's got his own constant string of gently caress ups to deal with, and you want him to also subsidize Peters?

Yes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tony's real superpower is that he can instantly become rich whenever he needs to. he's lost everything a bunch of times, and it never particularly inconvenienced him.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tony's real superpower is that he can instantly become rich whenever he needs to. he's lost everything a bunch of times, and it never particularly inconvenienced him.

Leasing War Machine to the US Government is pretty lucrative.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The original Iron Man armor has been stolen, sold or destroyed at least 12 times. During the Fraction run it was clearly shown that he had just junk suits left over and they were cannibalized for parts to build Rescue.
But when Bendis started he had dozens of old suits sitting around again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

The original Iron Man armor has been stolen, sold or destroyed at least 12 times. During the Fraction run it was clearly shown that he had just junk suits left over and they were cannibalized for parts to build Rescue.

Bendis ignoring established continuity for a character when he starts writing them.

Well I never.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Rhyno posted:

Once upon a trade paperback the Punisher killed a terrorist who was wearing that armor by throwing a knife into one of the gigantic eyeholes on it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Hippo posted:

Once upon a trade paperback the Punisher killed a terrorist who was wearing that armor by throwing a knife into one of the gigantic eyeholes on it

Before joining the Avengers, Hawkeye's record against Iron-man was something like 2-0-1. Tony's lucky Clint's not a killer.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Bendis ignoring established continuity for a character when he starts writing them.

Well I never.
I know Bendis is a real piece of poo poo but "oh all his armor is destroyed, but back again" is a chestnut going back decades. It's like lamenting that someone is a continuity-wrecking shitbag because they do a story where Batman needs to learn to trust and rely on his family, or Ben Grimm has to come to grips with being a monster, or Spider-Man needs to get over his overwhelming guilt, or etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it wasn't just Bendis. I think towards the end of the original series during THE CROSSING they showed an armory full of suits that shouldn't have existed anymore and it pops up again in Dark Reign. I guess Tony builds three or four copies of every billion dollar suit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

He has the plans for all the suits in a computer and when he has space to hold them he just has one of his science machines print up replicas

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Gripweed posted:

He has the plans for all the suits in a computer and when he has space to hold them he just has one of his science machines print up replicas

This, yeah. He's a comic book genius with unlimited resources

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, Tony having a seemingly inexhaustible well of copies of his older armors is, for whatever reason, a decades-old trait.

The first Iron Man comic I ever bought was #159, from 1982, where he's fighting the old FF villain Diablo the alchemist. At one point, Diablo turns a good half-dozen of Tony's old suits into golems and sends them after him, so he's forced to trash every last one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Who would ever do a run on Iron Man, and not have a scene involving the hall of armors? It’s like his batcave.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Repeat to yourself: It's just a comic, I should really just relax.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cloks posted:

Repeat to yourself: It's just a comic, I should really just relax.

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SHOULD BE DOING THE RELAXING PAL

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, Tony having a seemingly inexhaustible well of copies of his older armors is, for whatever reason, a decades-old trait.

The first Iron Man comic I ever bought was #159, from 1982, where he's fighting the old FF villain Diablo the alchemist. At one point, Diablo turns a good half-dozen of Tony's old suits into golems and sends them after him, so he's forced to trash every last one.

And then like a year and a half later when Rhodey took over, a ton of the old suits got dumped into the ocean and stolen by Krang for his army. The amount of suits he has and their whereabouts change like every 5 minutes and always have.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I imagine one of the most fun parts of making an Iron Man comic is coming up with new suits so I can't really be upset that they keep adding more or bringing them back even if it does completely undermine more than a few stories.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Wouldn't ding Elon Musk's net worth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Wouldn't ding Elon Musk's net worth.

We've been over this, Elon Musk is not Tony Stark, he's Norman Osborne.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

We've been over this, Elon Musk is not Tony Stark, he's Norman Osborne.

Throwing pumpkin bombs at children would also probably not affect his net worth much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Throwing pumpkin bombs at children would also probably not affect his net worth much.

All I know is I'm pretty drat sure he's dropped at least one leggy blonde off a bridge.