Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HelloSailorSign posted:

.....I did not realize there was a difference.

That's bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

I am in Claremont (lol) and it’s a lil nasty here

I was at PC in 2003 when the Grand Prix/Pauda fire happened and it was absolutely insane. Looking back I can't believe they kept everyone on campus for that.

Hope this current situation isn't as bad as that was. I remember flying back down from fall break heading into Ontario and just looking down from the plane and seeing the entire mountain completely on fire. Scary poo poo.

Hope it's not as bad right now as it was then!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
https://mobile.twitter.com/KSBY/status/1321488898804113409

Lol it wasn't windy enough to turn off the power, but it started a fire anyway. Good job, SoCal Edison!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Once again I'm amazed at how SDG&E continues to be the best least bad utility in the state.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Once again I'm amazed at how SDG&E continues to be the best least bad utility in the state.
San Diego being good at anything (besides carne asada construction) is such a weird development. It's messing with my equilibrium.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

They've been spending a fortune burying lines, replacing equipment, and adding a bunch of fancy high voltage circuit breakers to deenergize lines when they break (at least according to the articles their PR department have been planting the press.)

I'm 3/4 expecting to hear news of a shareholder coup to oust the leadership over how much money they're frittering away on safety instead of stock buybacks.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

I am in Claremont (lol) and its a lil nasty here

You live like, 10 miles away from me. Sup bad-air-quality friend.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

poo poo people talking about San Diego have me missing Kiko's fish taco truck.

loving loved that truck.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Michigan might be lovely, but I never made 3 go-bags just in case my place burnt down in the middle of the night due to some CHUD shooting fireworks next to a dry hill in the middle of October.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Weembles posted:

They've been spending a fortune burying lines, replacing equipment, and adding a bunch of fancy high voltage circuit breakers to deenergize lines when they break (at least according to the articles their PR department have been planting the press.)

I'm 3/4 expecting to hear news of a shareholder coup to oust the leadership over how much money they're frittering away on safety instead of stock buybacks.

They stopped disconnect people who didn't pay their bills in March because of COVID and as far as I can tell they haven't rescinded that policy yet.

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Still Dismal posted:

I’m likely voting no in19. Increasing the tax base is good, but giving yet another giveaway to boomer homeowners is bad. And the only way it really increases tax rates is on the heirs if they don’t live in the place. So they’d pay fair taxes if they rented out the place, but not if they lived in it, and older homeowners get transfer their absurdly low rates elsewhere.
This is a really good point, and is a large part of why I'm leaning heavily towards voting "no" on 19. I understand how deeply offensive the idea of someone inheriting an "extra" house with an insanely low property tax rate. Except: How many families in California really own more houses than they have children? Like, parents with two children and five(!) homes can escape any inheritance tax under Prop. 19 if grandchildren come into the mix. I don't think it's going to be a big windfall for local governments.

On the other hand: Everyone over 55 would be able to transfer their low property tax rate to larger and larger homes. The class of "homeowners" is, on average, less well-off than the class of "families with five houses". But the class of "homeowners" is also, generally speaking, not in desperate need of a tax break. Which is what this is. A tax break to help people who already own homes buy larger homes.

I understand why a lot of people have already voted based on the idea that it's flawed, but a net good for society. But I sort of see "heirs renting their inheritance!" as being similar to "help fire victims!" in that it is designed to serve as a distractor to conceal the true purpose.

EDIT: Sorry if this seems insensitive given all the SoCal fire talk; I hadn't refreshed the page. And: Go Sagehens!

Dave47 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 29, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Still Dismal posted:

I’m likely voting no in19. Increasing the tax base is good, but giving yet another giveaway to boomer homeowners is bad. And the only way it really increases tax rates is on the heirs if they don’t live in the place. So they’d pay fair taxes if they rented out the place, but not if they lived in it, and older homeowners get transfer their absurdly low rates elsewhere.

The idea, I guess, is that a lot of these state-sponsored aristocrats aren't just passing down single homes, but entire blocks of rental properties. So yeah, the "wealthy" family with the $2 million home originally purchased for $500k will overall see a gain from Prop 19 via new transfer rights, but the truly wealthy family that owns three houses and eight condos with a total value of $20 million will see a big tax increase... just as soon as the original patriarch finally dies and passes down the properties. So this breaks up (well, eventually, partially breaks up) some of the biggest, worst offenders, who are basically state-subsidized barons or dukes at this point.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

The idea, I guess, is that a lot of these state-sponsored aristocrats aren't just passing down single homes, but entire blocks of rental properties. So yeah, the "wealthy" family with the $2 million home originally purchased for $500k will overall see a gain from Prop 19 via new transfer rights, but the truly wealthy family that owns three houses and eight condos with a total value of $20 million will see a big tax increase... just as soon as the original patriarch finally dies and passes down the properties. So this breaks up (well, eventually, partially breaks up) some of the biggest, worst offenders, who are basically state-subsidized barons or dukes at this point.

People own that much real estate have almost certainly moved their rental properties into an LLC. Does 19 cover corporate holdings or only personal ones?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Weembles posted:

People own that much real estate have almost certainly moved their rental properties into an LLC. Does 19 cover corporate holdings or only personal ones?

I think prop 15 is the one that covers corporate holdings

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

HelloSailorSign posted:

poo poo people talking about San Diego have me missing Kiko's fish taco truck.

I think the use of a comma here could be very important

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I think prop 15 is the one that covers corporate holdings

Nah Prop 15 is applicable only to commercial and industrial property (and exempts ~small businesses~ and our precious ag). Incorporation might actually let you circumvent prop 19, I don't know enough to speak definitively on that.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Vox Nihili posted:

Nah Prop 15 is applicable only to commercial and industrial property (and exempts ~small businesses~ and our precious ag). Incorporation might actually let you circumvent prop 19, I don't know enough to speak definitively on that.

Why are campaign ads that are just 100% false legal? "THIS WILL HURT SMALL BUSINESS, WE CANT AFFORD THIS!!!!!"

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Why are campaign ads that are just 100% false legal? "THIS WILL HURT SMALL BUSINESS, WE CANT AFFORD THIS!!!!!"
fReE sPeAcH

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Aeka 2.0 posted:

it'll all get sorted out in the ~marketplace of ideas~ since as we all know ideal free markets like that are fair and just and never fail

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sorry but that's SMUD

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm a bit annoyed that SMUD doesn't provide natural gas service, so PG&E still gets a few of my dollars for our hookup

but yeah SMUD owns, they sent us a reminder letter this summer about emergency brownouts and how they've never had to do them lol

also they have an online shop where you can buy all kindsa energy saving things for cheap, we got a big box of LED bulbs

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also they have an online shop where you can buy all kindsa energy saving things for cheap, we got a big box of LED bulbs

I didn't know this, thanks!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xaris posted:

sorry but that's SMUD
LA DWP FTW

(At least, it was when I lived there, mumblemumble years ago)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xaris posted:

sorry but that's SMUD

Roseville Utilities, my friend.

SMUD a close second though. I had them when I lived in Folsom.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
RPU represent! (Riverside)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Michigan might be lovely, but I never made 3 go-bags just in case my place burnt down in the middle of the night due to some CHUD shooting fireworks next to a dry hill in the middle of October.

Well, I've lived in hollywood my whole life and only packed one go bag, and that was due the 92 riots.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but yeah SMUD owns, they sent us a reminder letter this summer about emergency brownouts and how they've never had to do them lol
That's BS. They did them every year a decade ago.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

eSporks posted:

That's BS. They did them every year a decade ago.

SMUD isn't part of the CAISO, who is the org responsible for ordering the brownouts/rolling blackouts

their letter sounded like they were poking fun at PG&E, but yeah idk if they voluntarily participated in them back in 2001

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Aeka 2.0 posted:

RPU represent! (Riverside)

Yup. No brownouts this summer, and still much lower rates than SoCal Edison.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

SMUD isn't part of the CAISO, who is the org responsible for ordering the brownouts/rolling blackouts

their letter sounded like they were poking fun at PG&E, but yeah idk if they voluntarily participated in them back in 2001
I know, just poking fun back.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article244984930.html

quote:

SMUD spokesman Chris Capra said the utility’s last rolling blackout was in 2000 — back when it was still aligned with ISO and before forming its own balancing authority in 2003, now known as BANC.
Looks like the last one by smud was in 2000, so my memory isn't completely shot.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Garcetti should probably get his head checked, I think his mom dropped him too many times as a baby

https://twitter.com/MayorOfLA/status/1322329594045685761?s=19

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Dave47 posted:

This is a really good point, and is a large part of why I'm leaning heavily towards voting "no" on 19. I understand how deeply offensive the idea of someone inheriting an "extra" house with an insanely low property tax rate. Except: How many families in California really own more houses than they have children? Like, parents with two children and five(!) homes can escape any inheritance tax under Prop. 19 if grandchildren come into the mix. I don't think it's going to be a big windfall for local governments.

On the other hand: Everyone over 55 would be able to transfer their low property tax rate to larger and larger homes. The class of "homeowners" is, on average, less well-off than the class of "families with five houses". But the class of "homeowners" is also, generally speaking, not in desperate need of a tax break. Which is what this is. A tax break to help people who already own homes buy larger homes.

I understand why a lot of people have already voted based on the idea that it's flawed, but a net good for society. But I sort of see "heirs renting their inheritance!" as being similar to "help fire victims!" in that it is designed to serve as a distractor to conceal the true purpose.

EDIT: Sorry if this seems insensitive given all the SoCal fire talk; I hadn't refreshed the page. And: Go Sagehens!

Vote yes on 19.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

adoration for none posted:

Garcetti should probably get his head checked, I think his mom dropped him too many times as a baby

Lol peak liberalism

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
We live in hellworld.

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1322401762070835201?s=20

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

https://twitter.com/LANewsTime/status/1322393882882052096

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

No loving way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

Well, I've lived in hollywood my whole life and only packed one go bag, and that was due the 92 riots.

Well, I packed one go bag per family member living with me. :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

props, folks, we love them don't we

https://twitter.com/CA_120/status/1320458600024690688

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

rich people being able to pipe a ceaseless stream of lies into peoples ears is a key sign of a healthy democracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

OLD