Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Spelling: when in doubt as a New Worlder, ask a native speaker, preferably someone who still lives in the old country. I've been connecting with Americans on 23andMe, and some of the Flemish surnames they've given me are completely nonsensical (as in non-existent, not just a minor variation), because the names were copied from someone else's handwriting and they lack the cultural context to make educated guesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Spelling: when in doubt as a New Worlder, ask a native speaker, preferably someone who still lives in the old country. I've been connecting with Americans on 23andMe, and some of the Flemish surnames they've given me are completely nonsensical (as in non-existent, not just a minor variation), because the names were copied from someone else's handwriting and they lack the cultural context to make educated guesses.

Very good point, thanks!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Thanks everyone. I ponied up $23 for access to Archion.de via Carthag's link and I found his record within two minutes! His birthday is Jan 2 1841 so he was the first record for the year, which made it easy.

I had his birthday/town/real name all correct in the Selbitz in Bavaria so that's comforting to know I was going down the right path.

Can anyone read this? Specifically the parent's names... Paul?

Gravitee fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 25, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Its beautiful script and I can make nothing of it beyond that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kurrent script. Not sure about the mother's maiden name.

quote:

im Jahr 1841.

ehelich geboren am 2.' zweiter Januar Vormittags 9. Uhr und am 6.' ejusd.
getauft[,] erstes Kind.

Vater: Karl Friedrich Stamm, Bürger und Webermeister
Mutter: Anna Katharina Stamm, geboren [Thünding?] von hier.
Taufpathen: Johann Stamm, Webermeister von Marles-
reuth, und dessen Ehefrau.

Translation:

quote:

In the year 1841.

true-born on the 2nd (second) January before noon at 9 o' clock and on the 6th ejusdem (latin, "the same (month)") baptized, first child.

Father: K.F. Stamm, burgher and master weaver
Mother: A.K. Stamm, née [Thünding] from here.
Godparents: J. Stamm, master weaver from Marlesreuth, and his wife.

Maybe their wedding (probably about a year before the baptism) will be clearer on the mother's name.

e: fixed surnames lol

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 25, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag’s got it, though true born is a bit literal, just means he was a legitimate birth (e.g. parents were wed in the church).

The godparents are likely Karl’s parents or a sibling and his wife. Now what you do is search for dad’s name to see if you can find another record for another kid with mom’s maiden name more easily read, or see if he has his own birth or marriage record in the book somewhere, which will for sure list at least their fathers names. Search for her name too, since she’s listed as from there she’s more likely to appear earlier.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

Kurrent script. Not sure about the mother's maiden name.

Translation:
true-born on the 2nd (second) January before noon at 9 o' clock and on the 6th ejusdem (latin, "the same month") baptized, first child.

Father: K.F. Sterner, burgher and master weaver
Mother: A.K. Sterner, née [Thünding] from here.
Godparents: J. Sterner, master weaver from Marlesreuth, and his wife.

Maybe their wedding (probably about a year before the baptism) will be clearer on the mother's name.

I could give you a hug! THANK YOU! This has been a hurdle for a very long time. He is the last of my gg grandparents that I didn't have more info on.

So on this opposite page it has his name as I know it "Johann Martin Stamm" but why would his parents have "Sterner" as the last name?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Erp! It does say "Stamm"

How embarrassing :blush:

I've updated the post

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Thanks friends. I found the marriage listing I think:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

You're welcome!

The first one looks like a it's maybe a kommunikantenregister (list of parishioners)? Not sure what the columns are. I guess he lived 1814–79. The last word is "evangelisch" (ie. Lutheran).

quote:

Bürger und Webermeister dahier, des [eveyl.] Heinrich
Stamm, Bürger und Webermeister dahier, jung-
ster Sohn, wurde mit seiner Verlebten, Anna
Katharina [Thümling], des Kaspar [Thümling],
Öekonomiebürgers dahier, dritten Tochter,
nach erhaltene Heyrathserlaubniß und
dreimaligen Prokolamation an Dom. II.,
III. & IV. post Trinitat. am 18.' achtzehnten
July früh 7. Uhr in den Kirche dahier
getraut.

Translation:

quote:

Burgher and master weaver here, the [an honorifc?] Heinrich
Stamm, burgher and master weaver here, young-
est son, would with his betrothed, Anna
Katharina [Thümling], of Kaspar [Thümling],
Ökonomiebürger here, third daughter,
after granted marriage permission and
thrice banns on Sundays the 2nd,
3rd, and 4th after Trinity Sunday, on the 18th (eighteenth)
July early 7 o'clock in the church here
wedded.

I am fairly more confident in the Thümling read than my original Thünding. Try finding them in the kommunikantenregister, it uses latin cursive for the names instead of Kurrent.

Not sure what an Ökonomiebürger is. Some kind of merchant, perhaps?

Trinitatis / Trinity Sunday is a movable feast, so when the 2nd–4th sundays after it were depends on the year.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 25, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Someone asked the same question in archion.de archives.

I ran one of the answers through google translate though any German fluent folks can feel free to jump in cuz lol google translate.

quote:

In order to be able to say something, some details are actually missing.
1. When was the term used? For example, the term "gardener" has a completely different meaning around 1700 than the same term around 1900 or today.
2. In which state or region was it used at the time? That too shifts the meaning.
3. And finally: Where exactly? Words sometimes had a different meaning in a city than in a village.
Here one can assume from the ending "-bürger" that the person concerned lived in the city or in a town and had to pay local taxes accordingly in order to acquire citizenship. Of course, they didn't like doing that. Corresponding civil registers are kept in many cities and have been printed in recent decades because of their interesting content. Nice for us researchers, because sometimes there is more in it than in the church registers.
The first term "economic" indicates commercial agriculture, not just for self-sufficiency, and depending on the region more or less on lease. It may be that he leased a farm from the city. This can be a mill or an urban lake stocked with fish or the former ramparts after the city wall was torn down. You can find out more in the city archive.
Wish successful research
Greetings, Tonx

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I admire your ability to read those. It's such a struggle for me. I've been using an OCR program, which isn't very good, but is still much better than I am.

I also have other knowledge-related problems, because once I figure out what the record says I still have to figure out wtf a "job owner" does for a living. Of course it's a farmer. Everyone is a farmer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, indeed it seems an Ökonom was a small farmer, and since he was also a burgher, he was on city-owned land. A synonym is Ackerbürger.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Here's a nice long vocabulary of German for genealogists:
http://sites.rootsweb.com/~romban/misc/germanjobs.html

As for reading, it just takes a lot of practice. Start by entering the letters you know and leave spaces for the ones you don't, for example I originally had _eber_ter for Webermeister. Just keep going through, and then do second and third passes until you have it all.

For a second I thought the word was Scheberrichter, but that is nonsensical (a Schäbenrichter would be someone who corrects the waste products from flax/hemp preparation lol) so I consider similar-looking letters: long s instead of h in the second part made it clear he was a -meister. Then Weber- just hit me and it makes sense when I double check with an alphabet (there are a couple on the Wikipedia for Kurrent I linked earlier).

The Thümling surname clearly begins with Thü- and ends with -ing, the middle part could conceivably be -ml- or -nd-. Thümling is a real surname though, and I don't see many attestations for Thünding.

What do you use for OCR/HTR? I saw that Transkribus is transitioning to a pay model :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Here's mention of a Johann Kaspar Thümling from Semlitz who died September 1st, 1843:
https://www.gda.bayern.de/findmitteldb/Archivalie/783373/?L=1&cHash=19b9421a5afdf9b6d7b8b409eaa36566

Familienzeugnis means something like "family certificate" though what exactly that entails I don't know (my German is rusty).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

As for reading, it just takes a lot of practice. Start by entering the letters you know and leave spaces for the ones you don't, for example I originally had _eber_ter for Webermeister. Just keep going through, and then do second and third passes until you have it all.

For a second I thought the word was Scheberrichter, but that is nonsensical (a Schäbenrichter would be someone who corrects the waste products from flax/hemp preparation lol) so I consider similar-looking letters: long s instead of h in the second part made it clear he was a -meister. Then Weber- just hit me and it makes sense when I double check with an alphabet (there are a couple on the Wikipedia for Kurrent I linked earlier).

The Thümling surname clearly begins with Thü- and ends with -ing, the middle part could conceivably be -ml- or -nd-. Thümling is a real surname though, and I don't see many attestations for Thünding.

What do you use for OCR/HTR? I saw that Transkribus is transitioning to a pay model :(

Thanks for this resource, it should prove quite helpful as I just got the scope on my German mysteries...

From an email...edited to remove irrelevancies or personal digressions

quote:

Peter John Fiechtl...was born in the Zillerthal in Tirol/Tyrol, Austria...Even with genealogical help from Legacy Tree Genealogists nothing could be found. Actually what was found was that it couldn't be found.

Challenge accepted. More...and the promise of primary documentation!

quote:

Since then I dug into the box that my dad had left with what he called "goodies", and I did find a few things mostly in German. I found out that he was Catholic and not Lutheran. Here in this country he went to the Lutheran church because they spoke in German...

With Peter Fiechtl and the Kieslings (who settled in Wisconsin) there are many more mysteries. They are my link to anything Eastern European. Peter Fiechtl used to say that he was a "Hungary Austrian". He came from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Wisconsin sent me a renunciation of allegiance to Francis-Joseph I Emperor of the Austro Hungarian Empire for him to become a citizen of the United States. He had signed it in March of 1891. I have letters in German from his sister, Maria Fiechtl, who sent them to Wisconsin. Some are translated. I think he had a girlfriend also that sent him letters. There are other things in German as well that I don't know what they are. I have one copy in the genealogy book that I made, and another copy in the box still. Oh, there are tax records as well. He has a work history and moved around a lot in a Domestic Servant Book. The different places he worked were Nurenberg, Tyrol, then he was transferred to Cologne and tax documents included Honingen, transferred to Hulls, transferred to Verdingen, transferred to St. Toenis, transferred back to Hulls, then transferred from Cologne to Toenis, ending in Hamberg. Traveled to St. Toenis and from there was transferred to America. It is confusing to me. The mayors of these places signed the transfers. He was transferred to America July 10, 1885. This part is translated. It sounded like Hulls was his home. (two slashes above the letter u). I don't know if these towns have the same names or not - or if they are in different countries or not.

On his marriage certificate it mentions that his father is named Peter Sager, and his mother Maria Fiechtl. It could be that they weren't married if he has his mother's last name. His sister appears to have the same name. Anyway, it's a mess.

That last bit is the "saint name" convention you mentioned a few posts ago.

Anyway its exciting, she's sending copies of the documents my way and it seems I've a lot to go on

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow, that sounds like a treasure trove!

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

It is Transkribus that I've been using. It hasn't prompted me to pay for anything yet, although I will, because even when it does a bad job it helps me guess.

I think I do basically use the strategy you've suggested, I'm just really bad at it. If I have learned the word I am trying to guess I might get it, but if I haven't, I won't. Sometimes the handwriting just really sucks, too, and maybe it's ungettable. I briefly poked into my Scottish heritage, and it was insanely easy compared to this German empire stuff, but I still couldn't read some of the handwriting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Don't worry, you'll get better :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Did you see my reply about the wedding record, Gravitee?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

FWIW, among the docs I got is a picture of the aforementioned Peter Fiechtl and his family. Old timey af with a real Austro-Hungarian vibe IMO. His wife's parents, if I recall correctly, hailed originally from Bavaria. Apparently a cousin of my mothers from this side got positive Ashkenazi Jewish haplotypes in his DNA test. The young woman back row left is my great grandmother.

I love these old photos

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

Did you see my reply about the wedding record, Gravitee?

Yes thanks. I am grateful for your help.

Speaking of pictures, here's the family I'm working on, circa 1906. Johann Martin is the older gentleman seated in the middle that eluded me for so long. My great grandfather is the other man seated.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:tipshat:

Here's one I got from a distant cousin. It's from around 1925. My great grandparents are the blushing couple to the left. Most of them look drunk as hell lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The roaring twenties, four years before Lego stocks crashed and they lost all their savings

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

You know, I have no idea how that affected them.

As far as I know, they were all working middle class (I see waiter, confectioner, mailman, paper salesman, magistrate's office drone, etc). No idea if they had any savings. I should dig into their tax records, see what pops up!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

:tipshat:

Here's one I got from a distant cousin. It's from around 1925. My great grandparents are the blushing couple to the left. Most of them look drunk as hell lol

drunk as poo poo but i'm the little blond girl front center about to stick her tongue out

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

drunk as poo poo but i'm the little blond girl front center about to stick her tongue out

I'm sly tipsy granny giving the come hither side eye to the cigar smoking dude.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle posted:

I'm sly tipsy granny giving the come hither side eye to the cigar smoking dude.

That's her brother-in-law lmao. Her husband is the guy in the middle & they're brothers.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

How often have you found two different names who turn out to be the same person? I have a few cases of this now. It's hard to figure out what's happening since the names are so common.

The weirdest one is that I seem to have two different women who alternately use the names Magdalena and Karolina. I can't easily get the birth record for either one, but I have lots of records for their kids. Magdalena Karolina #1 has got to be a single person. Her name is recorded differently in the church book versus the civil records for the same events. Her husband's name is also occasionally recorded differently, but I know he was baptized with both names, so okay. I guess this is one couple who aren't picky about their names. But then I have Magdalena/Karolina #2, who also really looks like a single person. She would've known the first one, but they're not closely related. What are the odds of that happening twice?

Eventually I'll find enough records for #2 to be certain, but it does seem weird.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trillian posted:

How often have you found two different names who turn out to be the same person? I have a few cases of this now. It's hard to figure out what's happening since the names are so common.

The weirdest one is that I seem to have two different women who alternately use the names Magdalena and Karolina. I can't easily get the birth record for either one, but I have lots of records for their kids. Magdalena Karolina #1 has got to be a single person. Her name is recorded differently in the church book versus the civil records for the same events. Her husband's name is also occasionally recorded differently, but I know he was baptized with both names, so okay. I guess this is one couple who aren't picky about their names. But then I have Magdalena/Karolina #2, who also really looks like a single person. She would've known the first one, but they're not closely related. What are the odds of that happening twice?

Eventually I'll find enough records for #2 to be certain, but it does seem weird.

So many goddamn times. Some of my relatives have up to five names they go by. They're usually German or French (though the one below is Swedish). Behold my 2nd ggp Andrew Gustav 'Gust' Williams.
birth name: Anders Gustav Andersson
Changed his name (not legally, just decided 'screw it') to Anders Welamsson (after his stepdad/possible uncle)
aka
Andrew G Williams
Gust Williams
Gus Williams
Gustaf Walam
Anders G. Weland
Gustav Williams
tombstone: Gust Andrew Williams

Best part: two brothers also came to America and Anglicized their names. One chose Williams, the other Williamson. 100% full siblings.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Oracle posted:

So many goddamn times. Some of my relatives have up to five names they go by. They're usually German or French (though the one below is Swedish). Behold my 2nd ggp Andrew Gustav 'Gust' Williams.
birth name: Anders Gustav Andersson
Changed his name (not legally, just decided 'screw it') to Anders Welamsson (after his stepdad/possible uncle)
aka
Andrew G Williams
Gust Williams
Gus Williams
Gustaf Walam
Anders G. Weland
Gustav Williams
tombstone: Gust Andrew Williams

Best part: two brothers also came to America and Anglicized their names. One chose Williams, the other Williamson. 100% full siblings.

This is very reassuring to me! How did you ever figure that out?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Trillian posted:

I'm guessing many nights with full moons with ouija board in cemeteries and so many white chickens

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The more data you get, the more connections you can make and test, which helps you out when you're deciding whether a contradiction is important or not.

e.g if you have baptisms for a family of six kids that give an address in a nearby village, but one of the middle kids middle is addressed in town, the balance of probability is that they lived in the village the whole time and the recorder just didn't feel like writing out the name or couldn't remember where they lived writing after the fact or something. You can't prove conclusively that they didn't move into town and then back out, or that another couple with identical names didn't have the kid, but you might be able to conclude based on your previous researches that the area is too small for a new family unit to just appear out of nowhere for a single record, or the sponsors are from the little village, and so on.

The Irish records I've been using recently are pretty unreliable, they even get the mother's names for legitimate children inconsistent sometimes, but having worked with it a fair bit now, I have some idea what sort of mistakes they make and therefore what possibilities might be open for whatever I'm pondering. You want to test them as much as possible and note when a conclusion is uncertain, tempting as it is to declare that something happened one way and work off that basis forevermore.

e: For example, the visitor's center at Ronald Reagan's ancestral origin is located based on some pretty flimsy evidence

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 30, 2020

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Exactly what Jaguars! said. When the place, spouses and kids/parents and siblings, ages, etc. match, you can be reasonably sure that you're dealing with the right person, even if the name is different. Plus, you don't often know who's giving the information. I've seen people with very, very wrong names on their death certificates because their brother-in-law had no clue what their mother's name was.

And then you get people who were known by nicknames their entire lives (literally one of my grandfather's brothers went by anything that resembled his given, legal name) and the people who informally changed their names due to cultural assimilation or because they just hated their given names (my grandmother's grandmother and her sisters were all named after Greek goddesses. Apparently, life was much easier on the prairie as Ella Smith than Demeter Smith).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I even have a woman in the early 1800s whose patronym changes back and forth. I have it recorded as:

1825: Larsdatter
1836: Larsdatter, Christiansdatter [the latter presumably a genuine error, as her husband was called Christiansen]
1838: Andersdatter
1840: Larsdatter
1841: Andersdatter
1842: Larsdatter
1845: Andersdatter
1848: Andersdatter
1850: Andersdatter
1851: Larsdatter
1859: Andersdatter

All entries from 1838 are by the same priest.

At this time, surnames were still transitioning from being informal bynames to becoming legally defined surnames, so a person could reasonably be referred to with a patronym after their biological father or their stepfather.

The register from her birth parish is incredibly messy (the priest was very old), and her birth/baptism record has not been found. However, her confirmation record from 1825 gives her step father as Lars and a birth date. That date mentions no child, but it says her mother became engaged to a man named Anders. No marriage is recorded. The mother is later recorded with a husband named Lars, and this marriage is also not found. This presumably means that Anders left or died, leaving her with child, and she then married Lars.

So that all makes sense, except for why the later priest couldn't decide which name to use for her. It would make sense if they were different authorities or something, but :psyduck:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

Sounds like you're doing what you can.

I make copious notes and build huge temporary family trees when I'm trying to figure out where someone is from. Remember to keep all sources handy and check back on them once in a while, maybe you missed something that clicks with a thing you found later. You never know when you hit the jackpot (or if you ever do). Check this goddamn monstrosity out, if I were to print it in full size, I'd need A2 paper lol — the green guy is my ancestor and I'm trying to figure out how/if he relates to the blue guys (who all share my guy's rare surname and have the given name that fits his patronymic, and have the correct age, ie. they fit as being his father):

(anonymized)

Hey, from a while back, but what tool are you using for this? I'm at the point where I'm trying to do the same type of thing and should really be doing something like this instead of scrawling on reams of paper.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jaguars! posted:

Hey, from a while back, but what tool are you using for this? I'm at the point where I'm trying to do the same type of thing and should really be doing something like this instead of scrawling on reams of paper.

I use LaTeX which is definitely the wrong tool for the job. Probably would be smarter to use a diagram app, like for flowcharts, but I'm a big fat nerd

Anyway this is the latex package:
https://ctan.org/pkg/genealogytree

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

hmm. How hard would it be for someone who's only vaguely heard of LaTeX to figure out?

I've been thinking a bit on automation and if I had made even the most primitive tool to get entries from search results to spreadsheet I probably would have saved weeks of work. If I could find a way to get my spreadsheet info into some form where I can have people in boxes and tie them into family units and flick them around to experiment like what you're doing above that would help a lot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It would be extremely hard.

Latex is not a programming language and it's not a markup language. It's some kind of weird mishmash that creates unheimliche errors. Do not begin using it.

I should not have mentioned it at all. Stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trillian posted:

Two things really helped:

1. His birthdate remained remarkably consistent, and Swedish records are really, really good about keeping track of birthdates and locations (probably because everyone has such similar goddamn names. Thanks patronymics! Can I just tell you how many Anders Gustav Anderssons there are in Orebro, Sweden in the mid 1800s? A loving LOT THAT'S HOW MANY).

2. His Swedish marriage record (Swedish Lutheran church in America was very old school with the record keeping in the best way) had his actual Swedish full legal name in it (along with of course, birthdate and place(?) I forget, def birthdate tho). Guess we don't lie to God (or at least their swedish emissaries on Earth). The civil record had his preferred name, same date of marriage, same wife's name. The witnesses were also his brother and wife on both to just be sure I had the right ones. After that it was off to the races. Found out he went back and forth to Sweden at least twice, once maybe because he failed at America, second time to bring two of his brothers over with him, his mom followed a few years later with his remaining brother after his stepdad and another brother died within a month of each other, presumably from some plague or other. He may have met his wife or his wife's sister on one of those trips, because he marries his wife and one of his brothers marries said wife's sister. That whole double cousin thing didn't cause any problems while doing DNA research, oh no. Also my grandmother on that line had twin sisters. So two 3/4ths (I suspect) brothers married two sisters, had kids and one of those kids had identical twins! So many proposed second cousins I was like 'who the HELL is that?' only to realize oh, you're not a second cousin you just look like one because lol. At least there's no endogamy on that tree. That I know of.

Oh and his mom apparently falls off the drat boat between Quebec and Muskegon (coming via Canada to Michigan was cheaper than going straight to America) because while I find the brother who accompanied her in later records, she completely disappears from all records after her last appearance on a Quebec manifest that just says 'through to America' or something like (and gives her son her last name, which is her patronym. I think she was an Erikson and her son should've been Welamsson/Welams/Williamson).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 31, 2020