Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fall damage for enemies but not for players is the way to go. I don't care if it's unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ffxiv has fall damage but you will never die from it unless you're in combat. most of the time this works out fine except when there's an enemy right at the bottom and it aggros onto you a millisecond before you hit the ground :negative:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tangentially related, I like that in Blasphemous some attacks will push you back, but invisible walls make sure they'll never knock you off a platform. Unless you're already in the air which is risky in itself.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Spartan kicking in Odyssey is the highlight of the whole game for me. There's nothing quite like alerting a whole fort and a load of bounty hunters, leading them up to the top of a cliff, then one-by-one spanging them all off the edge.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

Again with ac odyssey, my main strategy for difficult forts above my level is to sneak around, backstab people, and then lure them on top of something to spartan kick them off. The fact that spartan kicking is actually a skill shows that the devs actually want this to work. It's so satisfying to kick someone off and see the huge damage this does.

The fact that i have to use a tactic like this instead of choosing it, is however an unfortunate consequence of the worst decision the series had ever done, the leveling system. But that's for the things ths tbother you thread.

Iirc you can basically turn off the leveling system now with the customizable difficulty by having every enemy everywhere be the same level as you

Honestly that's another thing Odyssey did well, they added really customizable difficulty settings and modifiers in, it's just such a good game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My Lovely Horse posted:

To be fair Spider-Man is the one character where you could just put in an obvious danger cue and it would only make the game more authentic to the source material.

Every game can have some kind of danger sense or altimeter warning but to be more clear I don't want games to have even more indicators and instrumentation. Just let me enjoy huge jumps.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I believe Doom 2016 had no fall damage up to a point, after that it instantly killed you ( to prevent sequence breaking level skips)

Doom Eternal did away with it and is much better for it. You're the Doom Guy, why would gravity hurt you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I recently replayed the original Doom (and Doom II) and at one point had a brief moment of panic as I stepped off a ledge and began falling way further than expected, before suddenly remembering that there's no fall damage.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I believe Doom 2016 had no fall damage up to a point, after that it instantly killed you ( to prevent sequence breaking level skips)

This is how Halo 2 did fall deaths as well, but since the kill trigger was based on achieving a certain velocity rather than fall distance, people found various tricks to sequence break anyway.

At the time, a lot of people assumed the aggressive use of Invisible walls in Halo 3 was a direct response to the way the community exploited the physics in 1 and 2 to sequent break and get places they shouldn't.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Qwertycoatl posted:

Fall damage for enemies but not for players is the way to go. I don't care if it's unrealistic.
Divinity II did this the best. There's a mission where an rear end in a top hat rhyming wizard is tricking people into falling to their deaths (from the maximum height of the skybox) while trying to find a secret treasure. You the player can do the mission and survive since there's no fall damage for you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Qwertycoatl posted:

[monologue VO] Fortunately, I had trained in the art of falling since I was a small child...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

future ghost posted:

Divinity II did this the best. There's a mission where an rear end in a top hat rhyming wizard is tricking people into falling to their deaths (from the maximum height of the skybox) while trying to find a secret treasure. You the player can do the mission and survive since there's no fall damage for you.

Amazing

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Son of Rodney posted:

Again with ac odyssey, my main strategy for difficult forts above my level is to sneak around, backstab people, and then lure them on top of something to spartan kick them off. The fact that spartan kicking is actually a skill shows that the devs actually want this to work. It's so satisfying to kick someone off and see the huge damage this does.

The fact that i have to use a tactic like this instead of choosing it, is however an unfortunate consequence of the worst decision the series had ever done, the leveling system. But that's for the things ths tbother you thread.

What sucks is they will flag certain characters to not be affected by the kick, they just kinda skid back a bit. But, the shield break or the Overpower ability on heavy maces/axes ignores that most of the time.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

buddhist nudist posted:

This is how Halo 2 did fall deaths as well, but since the kill trigger was based on achieving a certain velocity rather than fall distance, people found various tricks to sequence break anyway.

At the time, a lot of people assumed the aggressive use of Invisible walls in Halo 3 was a direct response to the way the community exploited the physics in 1 and 2 to sequent break and get places they shouldn't.

Iirc the distance/velocity for death by falling in Halo 1 was comedically low and master chief could be killed by basically sliding down a short slope

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Iirc the distance/velocity for death by falling in Halo 1 was comedically low and master chief could be killed by basically sliding down a short slope

This is the same Master Chief that could only carry two pistols and four grenades at a time, but could also flip over a capsized tank

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phy posted:

This is the same Master Chief that could only carry two pistols and four grenades at a time, but could also flip over a capsized tank

No pockets.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Phy posted:

Strong as gently caress, ultimate survivor, but no pockets on their clothes?

Master Chief is a woman.

ActualLTiG: the MvM level 666 in TF2 where you can basically end up nigh-invulnerable with a good team and just kill robots. It's a great antidote to 2020 and I should reinstall tf2.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I've started playing super mega baseball 3 again and like most baseball games it puts up the pitch speed after the catcher gets the ball. If you throw above 97 mph it adds an exclamation mark ( 97 mph! )

If you hit triple digits it adds two

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Tiggum posted:

I recently replayed the original Doom (and Doom II) and at one point had a brief moment of panic as I stepped off a ledge and began falling way further than expected, before suddenly remembering that there's no fall damage.

Well technically the first two Doom games are purely 2D anyway so you're not really falling.

They just did some technical wizardry to make it look like it had a Z axis.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

saying that it didn't have a z-axis is not strictly true. height does exist and does matter for a number of things

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Iirc you can basically turn off the leveling system now with the customizable difficulty by having every enemy everywhere be the same level as you

Honestly that's another thing Odyssey did well, they added really customizable difficulty settings and modifiers in, it's just such a good game

That is very good to know, I wasn't aware of that, thanks a lot!

Slavik
May 10, 2009
Been playing Prison Architect today and was completely taken by surprise when my prisoners during yard time suddenly kicked up the tunes and all started dancing in time to Michael Jackson's Thriller. :3:

I like holiday specific Easter Eggs

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

You still need to constantly upgrade or replace your gear though. It sucks

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You still need to constantly upgrade or replace your gear though. It sucks

I don't mind it personally, I like finding new gear and if there is some gear you've got that you love, you can upgrade it to keep pace with you. Find it's the best of both worlds really.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing the (absolutely terrible but in an interesting way) ps2 game Heroes of Might and Magic: The Quest for the Dragonbone Staff and I do like how the combat system makes use of interesting enemy types for unique challenges - similarly to Soul Nomad, you don't get individual units but each unit is made up of all the units of that type, so buying 30 archers means that group of archers will do 30x the attack of one archer per time they fire, but each of them have low health so if the unit gets hit you'll often lose a few. The health bars are kind of per-unit, so they wrap around in a kind of kingdom hearts sort of way. Like do 15 damage to a group of orcs that each have ten health and 4 orcs in all and the group will then have 5 health on it's bar and 3 orcs remaining. Many units have low enough health that you can kill them really quickly if you know what you are doing.

however, there are enemies that play with this, the Trolls and the Ghosts.

The Trolls need to be ganged up on to kill them so you need a few different types of strong units to win. Otherwise the collective regens their health at the start of each round, and you only find it harder and harder to take out even one of them. The Ghosts have a unique effect. They start off with only one or two units, but if they get in melee range, any unit that they kill becomes a ghost, so suddenly a skirmish between one ghost and 30 swordsmen is now a skirmish between 11 ghosts and 20 swordsmen. They have low defense, but high attack, as well, so a ranged attack is the only good way to deal with them otherwise you'll kill one of them, but they'll take 10 of you in the same round. By the end of my first ghost fight it was 80 ghosts vs 1 archer by the end because I didn't know how they worked.

I made a video of one of my runs as the combat system is kind of hard to describe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3bgRlMMVk

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thanks for triggering ghost related ptsd. One losing encounter with a ghost and you can just write off that entire area because theyr balloon out of proportion so easily

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is the case in the HoM&M games, but in King's Bounty (which laid the groundwork for the genre) if your ghost stack got too big, they'd exceed the leadership limit for what your hero could control. So ghosts had this "interesting" balance where the bigger the stack was, the stronger they were and the harder they were to stop, but the closer you got to losing the entire stack and having a big problem on your hands.

IIRC they also resurrected into peasants, the most basic unit, once a month?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
There's no leadership limit in HoMM that I've played, but you also won't get playable ghosts normally. The murderstock of choice is skeletons, because you get more from every fight with the necromancy skill.

Most of those mechanics, the weird HP and its interactions with regen and the undead are in HoMM. The PS game looks like the clunkiest iteration of everything around it ever, though.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Sonic Unleashed for the Xbox 360: On the world map, you can change night into day by moving the sun!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Lack of fall damage in Shadow of Mordor was absolutely the right choice and there was nothing quite as satisfying as pulling off a perfect Aerial Stealth Kill on a Captain from your perch on the highest tower in a Fort. Except maybe a chain Shadow Kill on a group leaving one hapless terrified mook legging it in the other direction.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

darkwasthenight posted:

Lack of fall damage in Shadow of Mordor was absolutely the right choice and there was nothing quite as satisfying as pulling off a perfect Aerial Stealth Kill on a Captain from your perch on the highest tower in a Fort. Except maybe a chain Shadow Kill on a group leaving one hapless terrified mook legging it in the other direction.

And then you use the mook to tell another captain you're coming for them next :getin:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

The BotW paraglider is so good it slightly worsens every open world game where you can't just casually jump off of any tall object to glide away.

This, but for the grappling hook, paraglider, and wingsuit from Just Cause 3.

I don't just want these things in open world games. I want them (and the physics that allows them to not kill you) in real life. I would 100% grapple/wingsuit to work every goddamn day.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

IshmaelZarkov posted:

This, but for the grappling hook, paraglider, and wingsuit from Just Cause 3.

I don't just want these things in open world games. I want them (and the physics that allows them to not kill you) in real life. I would 100% grapple/wingsuit to work every goddamn day.

As a kid I remember daydreaming about a transit system that consisted of a bunch of towers sprinkled about the landscape, along with compact hang gliders. You'd ride an elevator to the top of a tower, hop off the edge, glide to the base of a tower closer to your destination, and repeat until you could glide to your destination.

As an adult, of course, I've realized that it would be much more practical to connect the towers with ziplines instead and save the gliders for just the last leg of the journey.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Perfect Dark has an awesome soundtrack which fits the game pretty much perfectly - pacing, tension, everything.
I found this guy who does some awesome covers of different games to illustrate the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50CpTySwlE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrwXBhhlDmc

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Aithon posted:

There's no leadership limit in HoMM that I've played, but you also won't get playable ghosts normally. The murderstock of choice is skeletons, because you get more from every fight with the necromancy skill.

Under normal circumstances you won't get playable ghosts, but random encounters on the world map will offer to join you for a price if your diplomacy is high enough. It is possible for your honeyed words to persuade murderous, vengeful spectres to join your army and fight alongside you, at which everybody else better watch out for your doomstack of ghost mercenaries.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As an adult, of course, I've realized that it would be much more practical to connect the towers with ziplines instead and save the gliders for just the last leg of the journey.

So do you have a GoFundMe or Kickstarter or something for this, the most kickin rad transit system I've ever heard of?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
REALITY: GOON MAKES ZIPLINE THAT KILLS OFFICE WORKERS

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I mean there was that goon that was building a zipline park that people pointed out would almost certainly maim or kill the kids riding it, so...yeah probably.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I mean there was that goon that was building a zipline park that people pointed out would almost certainly maim or kill the kids riding it, so...yeah probably.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kitfox88 posted:

REALITY: GOON MAKES ZIPLINE THAT KILLS OFFICE WORKERS

Where do I sign up?