Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dustcat posted:

also 18th century invaders from another continent probably didn't have very good regional flood maps or hurricane data and didn't think to account for sea level rise or increased rainfall caused by global warming

:ssh: guess how the colonial powers figured out where the good places to live were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smug jeebus posted:

I'm no expert but this feels like a bad place to build a city

NOLA is like that really cool rare location for a city in civ where there's a river with a bunch of flood plains and it's coastal and it has like 9 oil within range

Also spices

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

It seemed like a less bad place before the soil dried and oxidised and shrunk.

don't forget all the subsidence in the entire region from controlling the river good enough to prevent yearly flooding and thus zeroing out regular sediment buildup

much of the east coast is experiencing the same thing, it's just quite pronounced in new orleans because the soil there is literally some of the worst to build on in the entire world

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

eta is in the works

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't forget all the subsidence in the entire region from controlling the river good enough to prevent yearly flooding and thus zeroing out regular sediment buildup

much of the east coast is experiencing the same thing, it's just quite pronounced in new orleans because the soil there is literally some of the worst to build on in the entire world

Yeah I forgot where I saw it but they basically characterized the meandering movement of the river as being like a frosting bag and if the river wasn't constantly shifting around for eons beyond rememberance the delta would have just been a long phallic peninsula sproinging out into the gulf like another florida

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
here's someone who overlaid part of those ACE mississippi meander maps onto lidar

https://twitter.com/geo_coe/status/1029960756937121792

i've been thinking about getting a high quality print of the whole thing to put up, but it's like 10 feet long lol

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

one of the best long range model hell scenarios yet

(this probably won't happen)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VectorSigma posted:

one of the best long range model hell scenarios yet

(this probably won't happen)

Tired: Labor Day Hurricane
Wired: Thanksgiving Hurricane

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

FAUXTON posted:

:ssh: guess how the colonial powers figured out where the good places to live were

There were people already living there?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

not for long!

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Milo and POTUS posted:

yes but luckily the colonialists were peaceful and learned to live in harmony with the natives hand-in-hand

source: my history class in US public grade school

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Raine posted:

yes but luckily the colonialists were peaceful and learned to live in harmony with the natives hand-in-hand

source: my history class in US public grade school

In some places this was true. See: Thomas Morton of Ma-Re Mount.

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski/status/1321680741944578048?s=19

500excf type r has issued a correction as of 11:43 on Oct 30, 2020

coke
Jul 12, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Since I'm traveling down memory lane here's the goon who streamed hurricane sandy flooding his apartment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nMdqrtqBys

in case anyone wants a very real example of how fast a storm surge moves in

protip, add enough bleach into the flood water if you ever have your place flooded to prevent any sort of mold/bacteria growth when it recedes, so it will just be some water damage and bleach smell that will dissipate over a few days when it dries out instead of being in a terrible petri dish that's extremely bad for your health

source: self when some drain was clogged

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does adding enough bleach to be antiseptic not also risk doing damage to a lot of the materials you’re exposing to the bleach? Or is structural damage a given since you’re already looking at a flood, and you may as well not add uncontrolled bacterial/fungal growth to the list of problems?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m speculating here, but I think any organic material would handle the bleach better than the microbes.

Metal objects, including electrical equipment, may fare worse with the bleach. Fungus isn’t a threat, they may be fine after cleaning and drying, but bleach will corrode them.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's someone who overlaid part of those ACE mississippi meander maps onto lidar

https://twitter.com/geo_coe/status/1029960756937121792

i've been thinking about getting a high quality print of the whole thing to put up, but it's like 10 feet long lol

That looks like a Ralph Steadman painting.

Also, Big loving LOL right here:

quote:

Chylek and Lesins (2008) determined that the likelihood of a season generating as much tropical activity as 2005 was less than 1 percent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Atlantic_hurricane_season

We're about to break that record, exactly 15 years later. and over two months earlier. Zeta formed in DECEMBER 2005.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zeno-25 posted:

NOLA is like that really cool rare location for a city in civ where there's a river with a bunch of flood plains and it's coastal and it has like 9 oil within range

Also spices

:hmmyes:

coke
Jul 12, 2009
well you are already pretty hosed from the structural damage anyway and things that can survive flood damage might also survive the bleach like metal or plastic

while it also ensures thing that doesn’t survive or whatever that was in the water will not start growing,
you might be surprised at how many carbon based material can host growth to things eg books, leather, cardboard to name a few

you can also replace things easier than fixing your own health when you inhale a bunch of spores and other terrible stuff

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

coke posted:

well you are already pretty hosed from the structural damage anyway and things that can survive flood damage might also survive the bleach like metal or plastic

while it also ensures thing that doesn’t survive or whatever that was in the water will not start growing,
you might be surprised at how many carbon based material can host growth to things eg books, leather, cardboard to name a few

you can also replace things easier than fixing your own health when you inhale a bunch of spores and other terrible stuff

Yeah this is what happened to a bunch of leather stuff in a malaysian mall after a couple months of covid lockdown without AC. No flooding needed, just appropriate levels of moisture

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

fuckingtest posted:

Also, Big loving LOL right here:

We're about to break that record, exactly 15 years later. and over two months earlier. Zeta formed in DECEMBER 2005.

Did those authors mean pure storm number, or did they mean some measure of intensity like accumulated cyclone energy? Because for all 2020’s lengthy list of storms, there have been very few significant ones—the ACE is just 150 so far (source), compared to 250 for 2005’s hurricane season (source).

Grundulum has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Oct 30, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

coke posted:

Hmm true.

But who isn’t packing particulate respirators these days?

coke
Jul 12, 2009
equally good point :hmmyes:

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Grundulum posted:

Did those authors mean pure storm number, or did they mean some measure of intensity like accumulated cyclone energy? Because for all 2020’s lengthy list of storms, there have been very few significant ones—the ACE is just 150 so far (source), compared to 250 for 2005’s hurricane season (source).

https://zenodo.org/record/1231299#.X5wi69BKgUE The wiki references this source for that quote.

You are absolutely correct about the ACE data. However, they use a simplified version of ACE named HAX (lol) that multiplies that storm intensity level by 6-hr periods to reach a value.

quote:

The years 2004 and 2005 represent the first occurrence in the 157 year record of two very high hurricane activity(HAX of 601 and 618) years next to each other. Thus what is unusual in the recent hurricane activity is not high activity in an individual year, but high activity in two consecutive years.

But, I was referring more to the fact that we are breaking the record of using the Greek Alphabet for storms. We have never (at least in recorded hurricane keeping) reached Eta. Also, in 2005 we hit Zeta way past hurricane seasons predicted end. we still haven't reached the close of hurricane season, and Eta is forming in the Atlantic as I type this.

Sorry for any confusion.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah this is what happened to a bunch of leather stuff in a malaysian mall after a couple months of covid lockdown without AC. No flooding needed, just appropriate levels of moisture

working in hotels, we had a room down for like 6 months for an air conditioner that was broken and we had no replacement for. My idiot GM at the time never pressed the issue of buying replacements, just locked the door and ignored it for the entirety of an eastern North Carolina summer.

6 months later he was fired and when his temporary replacement showed up....well that one room with no climate control had become 8 rooms and instead of a $1200 PTAC, we spent nearly $10k on mold remediation.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

I dunno we kind of ignored everything the natives had to say about living within a hundred miles of the coast in the pacific northwest, it's possible that there wasn't a major population in that basin until white people trade up and down the river went nutso on the grounds that it periodically destroyed everything there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Complications posted:

I dunno we kind of ignored everything the natives had to say about living within a hundred miles of the coast in the pacific northwest, it's possible that there wasn't a major population in that basin until white people trade up and down the river went nutso on the grounds that it periodically destroyed everything there.

nah it had been along a couple trade routes for like a thousand years before columbus

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Complications posted:

What's wrong with living that close to the coast there? Tsunami threats?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
A word of mouth story from a coastal washington native tribe about an earthquake was dated exactly to the day sometime in the early to mid 1700s because of records of a tsunami that hit japan

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

A word of mouth story from a coastal washington native tribe about an earthquake was dated exactly to the day sometime in the early to mid 1700s because of records of a tsunami that hit japan

Those oral histories are very robust. If you ever find yourself near Neah Bay the Makah people’s cultural center is very well done and interesting. They had a story of a large mudslide that later was excavated and resulted in a ton of well preserved artifacts, including evidence of gill net fishing which was used to help establish the practice as predating the treaties to the eternal consternation of modern fisherfolk who get really pissed about natives fishing.

Honestly I have no idea what the poster is talking about there were settlements and people all up and down the coast

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

Those oral histories are very robust. If you ever find yourself near Neah Bay the Makah people’s cultural center is very well done and interesting. They had a story of a large mudslide that later was excavated and resulted in a ton of well preserved artifacts, including evidence of gill net fishing which was used to help establish the practice as predating the treaties to the eternal consternation of modern fisherfolk who get really pissed about natives fishing.

Honestly I have no idea what the poster is talking about there were settlements and people all up and down the coast

I love the Australian native stories that have been proven through the geological record to be 10-12000+ years old, passed down word of mouth, generation to generation.

What the stories of the natives of the Americas could have told and taught us we will by and large never know and that saddens me

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

500excf type r posted:

I love the Australian native stories that have been proven through the geological record to be 10-12000+ years old, passed down word of mouth, generation to generation.

What the stories of the natives of the Americas could have told and taught us we will by and large never know and that saddens me

I read a book about that a couple years ago, the edge of memory. The whole thing was absolutely fascinating. Native people in the US are doing a lot of work to preserve their histories and languages. It’s not all getting lost. I think sometimes in the US we like to act like all the native people are gone or mostly gone, but they’ve hung on and shown remarkable tenacity against outright genocide. Probably a topic for a different thread though. Back to eta watch.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i'm pretty sure they're referring to this earthquake https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700_Cascadia_earthquake

part of the story is that the earthquake was so big that at least one town was completely destroyed

from https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one :

quote:

Once scientists had reconstructed the 1700 earthquake, certain previously overlooked accounts also came to seem like clues. In 1964, Chief Louis Nookmis, of the Huu-ay-aht First Nation, in British Columbia, told a story, passed down through seven generations, about the eradication of Vancouver Island’s Pachena Bay people. “I think it was at nighttime that the land shook,” Nookmis recalled. According to another tribal history, “They sank at once, were all drowned; not one survived.” A hundred years earlier, Billy Balch, a leader of the Makah tribe, recounted a similar story. Before his own time, he said, all the water had receded from Washington State’s Neah Bay, then suddenly poured back in, inundating the entire region. Those who survived later found canoes hanging from the trees. In a 2005 study, Ruth Ludwin, then a seismologist at the University of Washington, together with nine colleagues, collected and analyzed Native American reports of earthquakes and saltwater floods. Some of those reports contained enough information to estimate a date range for the events they described. On average, the midpoint of that range was 1701.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

i'm pretty sure they're referring to this earthquake https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700_Cascadia_earthquake

part of the story is that the earthquake was so big that at least one town was completely destroyed

from https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one :

Maybe? But that didn’t depopulate the coast and happened after settler contact and pretty close in time (around 100 years before L&C who described plenty of native populations along the Columbia including bunches near present day Portland) to settling starting.

Complications posted:

I’m not trying to be too off topic with 29 forming but also I think the above is outright wrong. :shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Speaking of weathergeddon

https://twitter.com/gdimeweather/status/1322626842147328000?s=21

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
...can currently produce

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
That’s actually incredible

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The pictures when the sun comes up are going to be nightmarish.
https://twitter.com/CIMSS_Satellite/status/1322670979441713153

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It looks like it has two eyewalls

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1322663369527205888?s=20

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Maybe? But that didn’t depopulate the coast and happened after settler contact and pretty close in time (around 100 years before L&C who described plenty of native populations along the Columbia including bunches near present day Portland) to settling starting.

I’m not trying to be too off topic with 29 forming but also I think the above is outright wrong. :shrug:

here's a thing you can read about the next expected Big One from the cascadia fault

quote:

By the time the shaking has ceased and the tsunami has receded, the region will be unrecognizable. Kenneth Murphy, who directs fema’s Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.”

In the Pacific Northwest, the area of impact will cover some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people. When the next full-margin rupture happens, that region will suffer the worst natural disaster in the history of North America, outside of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, which killed upward of a hundred thousand people. By comparison, roughly three thousand people died in San Francisco’s 1906 earthquake. Almost two thousand died in Hurricane Katrina. Almost three hundred died in Hurricane Sandy. fema projects that nearly thirteen thousand people will die in the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami. Another twenty-seven thousand will be injured, and the agency expects that it will need to provide shelter for a million displaced people, and food and water for another two and a half million. “This is one time that I’m hoping all the science is wrong, and it won’t happen for another thousand years,” Murphy says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I think I’m really failing to make my point because I’m aware of the Cascadian subduction zone and the historic earthquakes and have even been out to the ghost forest in Neskowin. I’m pushing back at the suggestion that people in OR/WA didn’t settle by the coasts until white folks showed up. That’s ahistorical and a pretty gross erasure of the people that were here.