Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Blacklist's next giant miniatures box (and optional board game) is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/dire-alliance-horror. It's horror-themed this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Man I do love fighting games, but Sakura Arms.... is very little girl focused. I've only really played Yomi--hows SA stack up?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

tokenbrownguy posted:

Man I do love fighting games, but Sakura Arms.... is very little girl focused. I've only really played Yomi--hows SA stack up?

Yeah, same here. This looks like something the worse Anime freaks will love.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I must be numb to it or something from all of the other tabletop kickstarters that are pretty much just an excuse to have t&a art/minis with a game attached because sakura arms looks tame af to me.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

GrandpaPants posted:

L99's Sakura Arms is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/sakura-arms

A part of me is getting it so that they will hopefully release Tragedy Looper too :(

Tragedy Looper's out in English, though?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, same here. This looks like something the worse Anime freaks will love.

You are either projecting or are blissfully ignorant of the worst anime "freaks." Like I've seen worse ads for mobile games.

Leraika posted:

Tragedy Looper's out in English, though?

But not in a form that doesn't require me to look online for errata and rules clarifications and whatever other fuckups ZMan did to that game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

You are either projecting or are blissfully ignorant of the worst anime "freaks." Like I've seen worse ads for mobile games.

I mean, yes it isn't the grossest product I have every seen or anything. Not by a long shot. However I think the style of art direction will definitely appeal to some rather unsavory types.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I mean, yes it isn't the grossest product I have every seen or anything. Not by a long shot. However I think the style of art direction will definitely appeal to some rather unsavory types.

So did Tiny Toons, what’s your point?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

So did Tiny Toons, what’s your point?

I mean, nothing really? I don't care for the art direction but people can obviously support the products that appeal to them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

L99's Sakura Arms is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/sakura-arms

A part of me is getting it so that they will hopefully release Tragedy Looper too :(

I literally just bought a copy of Tragedy Looper and the expansions from where I work, I can't wait to play it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah nah.
The art style is tame and fine, the chibi characters fit the cards well, and it incorporates a really lovely calligraphy aesthetic throughout.

You're reading way too much into it just because it's anime.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Infinitum posted:

You're reading way too much into it just because it's anime.

:shrug:

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I backed this today like three minutes after coming across it, I feel like it has to be in the thread here somewhere but just in case it isn't I thought I'd share it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fishinthepot/ancient-undead-spider-wizard

Rad rear end dungeon crawling tunes and adventures on vinyl

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I mean, nothing really? I don't care for the art direction but people can obviously support the products that appeal to them.

It's a weird line you immediately drew from "I don't like this art style" to "this game really appeals to pedophiles (or whatever dumb thing you were implying)".

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Some people are incredibly performative about not liking anime just in case someone might mistakenly think they like it even though no one knew who they were until they Kramered in

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
To be fair to Hambrose more than half of the girls in the game are wearing thigh high boots and short skirts. It's not just because it's anime, it's because it's kind of leery with it too. It's not the worst I've seen but I still wouldn't want to show this game to my family or friends.

If you like the game and it's style then cool, go nuts and enjoy it. Let's not start saying people are projecting or whatever though because they think it veers a little too close to skeevy anime tropes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Redundant posted:

To be fair to Hambrose more than half of the girls in the game are wearing thigh high boots and short skirts. It's not just because it's anime, it's because it's kind of leery with it too. It's not the worst I've seen but I still wouldn't want to show this game to my family or friends.

If you like the game and it's style then cool, go nuts and enjoy it. Let's not start saying people are projecting or whatever though because they think it veers a little too close to skeevy anime tropes.

Yeah, it's easy to overlook because it's tame by anime standards but it's still present.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

It's a weird line you immediately drew from "I don't like this art style" to "this game really appeals to pedophiles (or whatever dumb thing you were implying)".

It's over. The Anime is safe.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sakura Arms is really good, but you should be aware going into it that it's got less of a learning curve as it does a flat cliff; it really wants a playgroup that commits to learning the game fully and being familiar with the entire cardpool. A game can often be more or less decided in the deckbuilding phase, before the first hand is drawn. Especially if one player kind of knows what they're doing and one player doesn't, the tactical layer can often turn into a completely unfun shitstomp where one player is utterly in control and the other player spends the whole match doing nothing because they can't get into their range window and all their cards are useless. It has a decently serious tournament circuit in Japan, and I'm told that these no-counterplay scenarios are very rare if both players know what they're doing during deckbuilding, but that probably won't be true of your group for a long while.

A good comparison might actually be trying to play bridge without knowing anything about how bidding works.

e: the big difference between it and yomi/battlecon is that it doesn't have a simultaneous-card-selection mechanic, it's strictly alternating turns like magic. it's basically a resource management game (where one of the most important resources is "current distance"), and card counting can be pretty important. in fighting game terms, less mixups, more footsies.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 28, 2020

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I didn’t have much success with Sakura Arms in my group since we preferred the fixed deck setup of BaCON/EXCEED/Yomi

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Tekopo posted:

I didn’t have much success with Sakura Arms in my group since we preferred the fixed deck setup of BaCON/EXCEED/Yomi

Would be nice if L99 just put in suggested combinations. Character X + Character Y: Use cards...

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Alderac release did have two starter decks picked out to learn the game with that were pretty evenly balanced but did nothing to teach deckbuilding. L99 seems to have gone the route of splitting each character's cardpool into two "cores" (I'm guessing an attack-heavy one and a support-heavy one) and telling beginners to just mush together a left-side core and a right-side core to build their deck. I'd have to have a look at the cards they picked out for the cores, but that seems like a pretty decent compromise for at least learning the game, though likely to lead to some pretty one-sided games along the way if a player picks two characters with zero synergy.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Sakura Arms is really good, but you should be aware going into it that it's got less of a learning curve as it does a flat cliff; it really wants a playgroup that commits to learning the game fully and being familiar with the entire cardpool. A game can often be more or less decided in the deckbuilding phase, before the first hand is drawn. Especially if one player kind of knows what they're doing and one player doesn't, the tactical layer can often turn into a completely unfun shitstomp where one player is utterly in control and the other player spends the whole match doing nothing because they can't get into their range window and all their cards are useless. It has a decently serious tournament circuit in Japan, and I'm told that these no-counterplay scenarios are very rare if both players know what they're doing during deckbuilding, but that probably won't be true of your group for a long while.

A good comparison might actually be trying to play bridge without knowing anything about how bidding works.

e: the big difference between it and yomi/battlecon is that it doesn't have a simultaneous-card-selection mechanic, it's strictly alternating turns like magic. it's basically a resource management game (where one of the most important resources is "current distance"), and card counting can be pretty important. in fighting game terms, less mixups, more footsies.

Thank you for pointing this out. I autobacked because I trust Level 99 to put out quality product and everyone's been saying it's a great game, but...I'm remembering I don't like deckbuilding, and I'm not going to play any competitive game consistently enough for either me or my friends to develop a sense of the card options. And considering I have all of BattleCON, ultimately I feel like I've got dueling covered unless the game is doing something different and exciting that I want, whereas here those differences are maybe not so much a thing I want. So I think Sakura Arms will be a pass for me after all.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Arcsech posted:

Blacklist's next giant miniatures box (and optional board game) is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/dire-alliance-horror. It's horror-themed this time.
Speaking of pinatas full of plastic minis, Neo Morphisis Infestation is stepping back up to the plate after canceling its initial KS in January.

The minis do look nice, for whatever that's worth.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, the Darkest Dungeon KS... it's starting to creep up to that "$250 if you want everything / prob at least $300 by the campaign's end" mark. I dropped it. It was giving me "Dark Souls: The Board Game" vibes where I love the miniatures and artwork, but the game is just a clunky, poorly-thought out mess. It looked like a major pain if you were trying to solo it, too, with 4 characters and their boards/cards/tokens to manage.

They really should have cut half of the mechanics and tokens from the game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, it's easy to overlook because it's tame by anime standards but it's still present.

It's a gestalt thing. Yes there's worse, obviously, but here we have

1. Everyone is in that vague anime teenager range where they could be 9 or 17 who knows.
2. Don't worry about that though because they're not little girls they're goddesses.
3. Just enough skirt flare and underboob chest straps that you notice.
4. Oh whoops that's all there is here, no adults, no dudes, no nonbinary types, just endless warrior goddesses with thigh-highs.

It's that last one (also hating deck builders but that's beside the point) keeping me away. Variety wise this is paper dolls with different weapons.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I reread some updates of the Mortasheen kickstarter and ...

quote:

Everyone wants to know a lot more about the play mechanics, which is understandable; I'm the "art side" of Mortasheen, but then there's the folks handling 100% of the "gameplay side," tailored to try and best reflect how it would feel to live in the Mortasheen world.

They don't wish to fully spoil the system right away, but what I can pass along in this first update is a rough overview of your role as a player character.

so I guess they haven't followed a lot of RPG kickstarter campaigns, uh.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 28, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oof. That's not encouraging.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, the Darkest Dungeon KS... it's starting to creep up to that "$250 if you want everything / prob at least $300 by the campaign's end" mark. I dropped it. It was giving me "Dark Souls: The Board Game" vibes where I love the miniatures and artwork, but the game is just a clunky, poorly-thought out mess. It looked like a major pain if you were trying to solo it, too, with 4 characters and their boards/cards/tokens to manage.

They really should have cut half of the mechanics and tokens from the game.

I was reading the comments and supposedly people were pretty angry that heros were in the $50 expansions which I kinda understand.

I'll wait and see what the final result is but I'm leaning towards dropping it. I still haven't finished the video game anyway

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

RIP

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 28, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

With a lot of this stuff, if it isn't successful enough to get a retail release... Just don't sweat it. It wasn't meant to be. The second I start to see any FOMO poo poo on a kickstarter now it is an automatic pass.

There are so many games now. So many.

Ugh, quote isn't edit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tawd has posted a new thread to promote their friend's kickstarting game (KS started today) for their new RPG, The Wildsea. There is also a purchased ad, which we should see on TG pages soon. I gave Tawd permission to start a thread specific to that game, here: The Wildsea: Cutting through the rustling waves, an unending tree-top sea!

You can discuss that kickstarter and the game in that thread, or in here, as your whim takes you.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Hostile V posted:

Oof. That's not encouraging.

I'm treating it as a Kickstarter for neat bit of worldbuilding that just might have a usable RPG come out at some point.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

hahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah they don't quite seem to realize that people are paying for the rules.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

A friend/acquaintance is doing the art on this so I guess I should link it: Throwing Horns. I'm not even entirely sure what it is, I think you play demon ladies on a tour playing metal in hell? Something like that, there's like two hours left, check it out? :shobon:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

theironjef posted:

It's a gestalt thing. Yes there's worse, obviously, but here we have

1. Everyone is in that vague anime teenager range where they could be 9 or 17 who knows.
2. Don't worry about that though because they're not little girls they're goddesses.
3. Just enough skirt flare and underboob chest straps that you notice.
4. Oh whoops that's all there is here, no adults, no dudes, no nonbinary types, just endless warrior goddesses with thigh-highs.

It's that last one (also hating deck builders but that's beside the point) keeping me away. Variety wise this is paper dolls with different weapons.

I really do think you're looking too far into it. It's okay to not be interested otherwise for reasons like the deckbuilding stuff and I totally understand being concerned about stuff like this but this is coming across like you're jumping through hoops to make the game sound worse than it is when you can just leave it at "not interested" and nobody would give you any guff over it.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
edit: wow I was nowhere near up to date on the thread.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What are people's thoughts on backing the second edition of Urban Shadows from like, a moral standpoint? I am torn.

On the one hand, Truman did apologize, publically and in the infamous article, and I don't like the idea that if someone makes a mistake they can never be forgiven. Plus, Magpie Games posted this in the FAQ:

quote:

Is Andrew Medeiros involved in Urban Shadows: Second Edition?

No, Andrew and Mark have transferred the Urban Shadows brand and intellectual property directly to Magpie Games. Mark is still involved as designer and project lead, but Andrew is no longer working on the project and will not receive any further financial compensation for his initial contributions to the game.
So they are at least aware that he's a problem.

On the other hand, he's apparently still involved, so while they know he's a problem they are at least keeping him around (for now?). Plus, well, the situation with Zak S was absolutely terrible, just about the worst position one could possibly take in those circumstances. This should not be forgotten, and it's not like they made reparations in some way.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

paradoxGentleman posted:

He also said this in a Q&A on the kickstarter when someone asked what the rules are:

quote:

"I am sorry to insist but my question is the same as before:

Where are the rules? Who can we contact to see them, since you do not have them?

I'm sorry but I can't in good conscience recommend this kickstarter to RPG fans if there is no explanation of how the system works."

They are handling the game's mechanics as a brand's intellectual property and are being careful about what they'll release of them. At the moment, we're updating a new contractual agreement together.

Which um... I am pretty sure that's not how intellectual property works in relation to tabletop game rules?

paradoxGentleman posted:

What are people's thoughts on backing the second edition of Urban Shadows from like, a moral standpoint? I am torn.

On the one hand, Truman did apologize, publically and in the infamous article, and I don't like the idea that if someone makes a mistake they can never be forgiven. Plus, Magpie Games posted this in the FAQ:

So they are at least aware that he's a problem.

On the other hand, he's apparently still involved, so while they know he's a problem they are at least keeping him around (for now?). Plus, well, the situation with Zak S was absolutely terrible, just about the worst position one could possibly take in those circumstances. This should not be forgotten, and it's not like they made reparations in some way.

Thoughts?

You're referring to the time Mark Diaz Truman used the Magpie Games blog to "both sides" the people calling out Zak S's lovely behavior with two blog posts, where he later added hasty retraction to the top of the first one after Zak became too radioactive to be associated with? I'd call it an inadequate attempt to cover his rear end, at the most. It says a lot that he's not willing to remove the names of people he calls out in those blog posts, either, or apologize directly to them for the harm he did for shaming them before.

If you find that objectionable, I don't see a reason to support a game where he's still the designer and project lead.