Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Roxors posted:

Well, we are getting another update and more DLC, according to the developer update that just dropped. That bit at the end of the video though
Who is ready to grind more infamy!?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_wbaIg-W_O8

One of the main reasons I quit Payday was I ran out of Infamy. Maybe more numbers going up will get me back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

One of the main reasons I quit Payday was I ran out of Infamy. Maybe more numbers going up will get me back in.
Vox was keen to make sure we were aware of what "D" is as a roman numeral. So if that's true, have fun I guess?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

EorayMel posted:

So if I remember correctly on update 100 there was also a massive skill tree cleanup removing poo poo like Brothers Keeper and fully integrating things like Endurance and Fast Hands as default gameplay features, is there any chance they will do that again her with the new infamy poo poo?

What you want is the latest Crackdown update. We’re implementing a player side rebalance, Total Crackdown, which makes some quality of life skills automatic and just generally untucks the balance, instead providing sick new skills. Even the saw is a good weapon now!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I haven't played this game in years, since the buddy I played with stopped playing games altogether but still consider it my favorite multiplayer game ever. I left on infamy V and can see that I have some catching up to do.

Is there any real benefit/point to upgrading the safehouse? I'm assuming the upgrades persist through infamy? What is the current meta?

Going to play some solo to get my legs back before diving into MP and ruining peoples' games. Any good/easy ways to farm XP solo? Wouldn't mind grabbing another infamy level or two.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think it ties into the secret, but besides that upgrading the safehouse is more for the sake of it than anything else. You do retain your upgrades after infamying.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I haven't played this game in years, since the buddy I played with stopped playing games altogether but still consider it my favorite multiplayer game ever. I left on infamy V and can see that I have some catching up to do.

Is there any real benefit/point to upgrading the safehouse? I'm assuming the upgrades persist through infamy? What is the current meta?

Going to play some solo to get my legs back before diving into MP and ruining peoples' games. Any good/easy ways to farm XP solo? Wouldn't mind grabbing another infamy level or two.

Feel free to join the co-op goons server to find partners.
https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk

The current meta often involves LMGs or crit dragon's breath dual shotguns.

Safehouse upgrades persist, and are mostly cosmetic, unlocking minigames in the safehouse and, for the safehouse raid "heist", some more cover and a medbag spawn.

The superpowered way to gain XP is to use Crime Spree to build up a big number, infamy, then cash the spree in for mondo levels. After a few more infamies you'll get so much of a multiplier that level 100 is just a handful of heists.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if for some reason you don't like crime sprees, run hoxton breakout over and over and over again

W-W-W-W-WANKER

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Thing to note about Crime Spree that doesn't get mentioned often: Joining a high level one gives you much bigger rewards but starting a new one anywhere other than 0 is worse than pointless.

Other thing to note, not about Crime Spree: Anyone telling you Cook Off is an excellent source of XP is a fool and a buffoon. It just happens to be endless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebb7IV2EW34

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Honestly, just play the heists that you enjoy, aside from the really low exp ones like the original one day jobs. Stealth bonuses are nice and quick to grab with normal jewelry store or Ukrainian job, but I am not sure if it is really worth it time wise. Overkill and mayhem difficulties get you the best XP for the time/difficulty. The multiplier for higher difficulties beyond that isn't great, and the bots start to go down pretty quickly on the highest difficulty. Overkill/Mayhem also is easy enough that you can play with non optimal builds, and use things like the mini gun or long bows. Avoid the stealth required heists for grinding, you will usually need to restart too often for it to be worth it, and most of them are bag moving simulators in solo. Also set your soundtrack to random if you aren't listening to something else when you play. The remix of Bain singing I will give you my all is a real jam.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You ever join a random lobby and make such an impression with your mask (almost) everybody joins in?

Well, I did :haw:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I just soloed Hoxton breakout on Overkill. Pretty easy but really goddamn tedious and frustrating with all of the running around. Of course, on both the evidence and files, it was the last available choice on both.

Drills always broke at 7-9 seconds remaining.

Not sure I'll have the stomach to keep grinding it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr Scumbag posted:

I just soloed Hoxton breakout on Overkill. Pretty easy but really goddamn tedious and frustrating with all of the running around. Of course, on both the evidence and files, it was the last available choice on both.

Drills always broke at 7-9 seconds remaining.

Not sure I'll have the stomach to keep grinding it.
If you're going to solo grind I think the earthquake in LA heist that I cannot remember the name of is better. Once you get efficient at it I think you can get it done in ~15 minutes and it has a really good payout for that amount of time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If you're going to solo grind I think the earthquake in LA heist that I cannot remember the name of is better. Once you get efficient at it I think you can get it done in ~15 minutes and it has a really good payout for that amount of time.

Aftershock.

Hoxbreak is a great mission with a ton of good copshoot, but the payouts aren't quite good enough to grind.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but you don't get to listen to hoxton's voice acting

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Whoooo needs a distraction?!

https://www.overkillsoftware.com/sposterpog/

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

PAYDAY 2: Update 200 - Crimson Shore
It’s time to settle the score...

Hello Heisters!
As the sun sets over Mexico, our heisters are preparing for grave business and a final showdown. But it’s not all serious stuff we have in store. To celebrate Update 200, we’re also expanding the Infamy System! There’s some extra goodies with two new camouflage weapon colors, free for everyone to use. You will find the Urban Abstract and the Desert Pixel in the weapon color system on your next launch of the game.

Today we are releasing 4 sizzling hot DLCs, you can buy them individually or get a bargain and pick up the Buluc's Mansion Bundle

Vlad Wants to Settle a Score
Vlad has had enough with the Coyopa Cartel and their leader, Buluc. It is time to take him down. And who better to give this task to than you guys? In the Buluc’s Mansion Heist you can storm the gates of Buluc’s Mansion or sneak in like deadly scorpions. Either way you need to bring down the Coyopa Cartel. There are also two unlocks to claim, these will be up for grabs for anyone completing the associated achievements. Can you get your hands on the “Impresario” and the “Undead Peacock”?

Dirty Work Needs Nice and Shiny Hardware

Bring some new guns to the party with the Gunslinger Weapon Pack. The DLC offers a selection of three very different guns, there is something for everyone. Pick off your targets at range with the Bernetti Rangehitter Sniper Rifle, or clear a room efficiently with the Reinfeld 88 Shotgun. If you prefer the authentic gunslinger feel, try out the Frenchman Model 87 Revolver. Why not bring two, just in case?

They Say “Clothes Make the Heister”

Complete your look with Tailor Pack 3 containing 2 new outfits with 4 variants each. The Long Gentleman and the Duelist will sure make you look the part in the hot sands of Mexico. If you want to further expand your wardrobe, the pack also includes 8 new gloves, with variants, there are a total of 12 gloves in this pack. You have the option of tactical gloves, driving gloves, biker gloves and fancy leather gloves, just to name a few.

Put Some Shine on Your Gear
Is your weapon starting to look a bit dull and worse for wear? Or do you want your CAR-4 to be as blinged out as it feels awesome to shoot? With the Weapon Color Pack 3 you get 20 new weapon colors that can be applied to any gun. The pack contains vibrant colors with a shiny finish as well as color that shifts hue and some with rad patterns that will look awesome on your rifles, pistols or RPGs and whatever else you might be packing.

:frogsiren: Infamy 3.0 :frogsiren:
As mentioned above, we are expanding the infamy system. If you are looking for another challenge, are a die hard completionist or are just looking for bragging rights, then this is for you. Infamy now has a new max level and will grant additional rewards as you progress. Starting today, you can become truly Infamous and unlock 4 color variants of a special infamy suit, 4 gloves and 16 weapon colors, all unique to the infamy system. You can also unlock a new item - Join Stingers. Additionally, there’s 16 new join sound effects to unlock where you can pick and choose the one most suitable to your style.

:siren: There are 40 new infamous rewards to unlock today and 35 more will be coming soon in a future update. You can still gain the ranks for the upcoming rewards and they will retroactively be available to you upon release. :siren:

:siren: We have also changed the order in which you unlock the infamy rewards. All rewards are now unlocked linearly. Any reward you’ve unlocked previously in the old system will stay unlocked in the new system. When going infamous for the first time all skill point reductions will be unlocked as a single reward for the first level of infamy. :siren:

:siren: With this update, we also made a slight change to how going infamous works. Every time you go infamous your first skill set (with “SET #1” as its default name) will be reset. All your other skill sets will be suspended. This means that they will keep all their skills but will be unavailable to you until you acquire skill points equal to that being used in the set. You can also choose to reset a suspended skill set before you have enough points. This will give you access to the set again, but since it’s reset, you will need to re-assign the skill points you have available. All profiles that used a skillset that got suspended will be assigned to use your first skill set instead. The profiles will keep any mask, outfit, or perk deck assigned to them. :siren:

Infamy Rank Display Mode
With the additional levels of Infamy we realize that some may find it hard to read the exact rank of your fellow heisters at a glance. Therefore, we have added an option to locally switch the display mode of the rank between roman and arabic numerals. If you're better at reading roman numerals than us, then you won't need this, but you will find these settings in the options menu under “User Interface”.

Hola Cuates
With the final chapter of our adventure south of the border, we bring one final little update for our South-American heisters. You will now be able to choose both European Spanish and Latin American Spanish as language options for the game. You will find these options in the PAYDAY 2 properties on steam.

We thank you, devoted Spanish translators, AstroZombie, Hoxi, NombreGenerico89, and ElCabe for all their hard work. It’s thanks to their efforts that we can bring both the European and Latin American versions of Spanish as language options to the game.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 11, 2020

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Looks like Scarface Mansion 2.0/Hoxton Revenge 3.0 aka go into a mansion and kill a guy bothering you for a while (on behalf of Vlad). Essentially a Forgotten Weapons DLC weapon pack (I bought this standlone just because I had exactly enough money from cumulatively selling crappy blue rarity skins for 1 cent profits :getin:). More skins, really leaning into being fancy with gradiants/angle dependent reflections for them, infamy and color pack alike.

:d: Weapon stats, unmodified :d:
:c: :c: :c:
Frenchman Model 87

Akimbo Frenchman Model 87
[
Reinfeld 88 Shotgun

Bernetti Rangehitter Sniper Rifle

:frogsiren: THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL :frogsiren:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 11, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

infamy 500 lmao

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm reminded of Battlefront 2 adding the fancy gold ringed level ups all the way up to rank 1000. After the base 70 they didn't actually do anything at all, it was literally just "the number goes up"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly i feel like the way to improve stealth is to de-RPG it entirely and give players a stealth toolkit more inspired by, like, Metal Gear or Hitman. let players actually manipulate the environment to solve encounters, and give players options to take out guards without it eventually being an automatic fail state.

like, if it were me, i would tweak the pager mechanic significantly. as it stands, pagers are 75% of why stealth in payday 2 sucks rear end, because they mean there's a hard limit on the number of guards you can remove in a stealth situation and the maps aren't really built for being able to get around guards without icing them.

specifically, what I would do is:

- you get 4 pagers, just as you do in PD2.

- however, once the other end gets suspicious, you don't go to an auto-alert state... instead, they send a wave of guard reinforcements with different pathing routes through the map, who actively look for the first set of guards, sort of like MGS' "caution" states. if they find a body, they start actively looking for you in the area of the body with guns drawn, but they don't go to full alert until they spot you armed and masked somewhere you shouldn't be. you also would no longer need body bags to move bodies, and their utility would instead be that if a guard sees a bagged body they'll ignore it (whereas an unbagged body would raise their alert level to "looking for you").

- once you're in the caution state, you can take out as many guards as you want and they won't be any more suspicious, but if you completely clear the map you get another wave of guard reinforcements, so going full massacre isn't encouraged.

i would also give a whole lot more mobility options, the ability to stick to and peek around walls, stuff like that to make it more viable to just ninja your way around guards, but frankly, that wouldn't fix PD2's stealth as is.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 11, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, the fact that PD2 actively punishes you for playing it the way that 95% of people play stealth games (and a way that it otherwise seems to signpost that you can get away with, with the number of guns you can stick silencers on) is mind-boggling.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Trip report with the Gunslinger pack weapons: They are very, very good, if not bringing actually fresh and interesting balance designs. Better than the last one with the Fugitive pack weapons, and the giant homogenous hodgepodge of 37 damage gruber kurz clones or 65 damage crosskill clones.

Benetti Rangehitter/Marlin 338: Honestly slightly disappointed. It has very good ammo and rate of fire for a sniper rifle...but that accuracy. Very bad for a sniper rifle; needs to be treated more as a medium-range weapon rather than a long-range weapon. Attachments go on the right of the gun...and the default scope blocks most of them because the default scope is too big. The default scope also has nasty sway and recoil when aiming down the sights for it. It badly needs any other red dot sight, since they have no scope sway whatsoever, and any accuracy improvements that can be scrounged. That said, I don't think it's that bad as I'm making it out to be, I only tried a couple heists with it. That rate of fire and ammo reserve is still very attractive, just don't be expecting to reliably kill snipers on Goat Simulator with it, not without some improvements to it. If you like the 1874, give it try, and it feels like hip-firing it with a laser sight is better than constantly aiming down the sights.

Frenchman/Smith&Wesson Model 3: Amazing ammo management, excellent rate of fire, and because it is a cool top-break revolver, the tactical reload and full reload speeds are all the same. It's pretty much everything the desert eagle and baby deagle wishes to be. Very narrow front sight like the peacemaker, accuracy can kind of be lackluster at very long ranges for countersniping, but that can be easily remedied. Surprisingly fun, and can one hit kill tans on deathwish if you have only one pixel of health remaining, or in swan song, assuming only using frenzerker. Kind of double-tap heavy against anything tougher than unarmored green cops on deathwish, but the rate of fire and its generous ammo makes that completely viable. No laser attachments, but very straightforward and effective nonetheless. Haven't tried the akimbo version, I assume it's similar.

Reinfeld 88/M1897 Trenchgun: Real winner of the pack. Has practically 0 recoil, you can pelt a target multiple times without ever worrying about the kick throwing you off. With buckshot and one of the shotgun compensators, it can also :d: kill tan cops with one headshot on deathwish, assuming you have Berserker ace and get revived with only 10% hp. :d: Ammo pickup is good, 1-2 to shells and it shouldn't take any more than that to kill other units. Rate of fire is much faster than the raven or normal reinfeld, even the locomotive. You can also put the trench warfare heatshield on it, or the long sporting barrel on it. Interestingly, putting the heatshield on the trenchgun also removes a teeny tiny front sight bead. And no options for red dot sights, but that's fine. It's a shotgun, you're not supposed to be trying to aim with it.

Nothing on the heist itself personally but someone else who did play it told me it sucks, involving a lot of fetch quests back-and-forth and an anti-climatic end to Buluc, not sure if it is stealth, loud, or both but :v:

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Give you my all better be a join stinger. It has to be, right?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

New heist's gorgeous and mostly good performance. Stealth on DSOD is balls-hard, an not entirely for good reason- one part of the map is an absolute nightmare to navigate. Loud can indeed get very fetch-questy, but there's nice randomization of objectives and layout. Balac is not a bossfight(those have never worked in pd2), but has a cool/funny death with some options.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

EorayMel posted:

Nothing on the heist itself personally but someone else who did play it told me it sucks, involving a lot of fetch quests back-and-forth and an anti-climatic end to Buluc, not sure if it is stealth, loud, or both but :v:

The heist is decent fun with pretty graphics that - like San Martin Bank - might wreck older computers. Since it involves Mexican cops that do less damage and largely occurs indoors, it also isn't very difficult even on DSOD.

The number of fetch quests depends on the objectives that you get. Yes, there is one particular scenario where you have to run around and get many items while getting shot at by hordes of enemies, but at least they signpost the items for you after some time.

I expected Buluc to be a boss enemy like Hector, the Commissar or Sosa, so I was surprised at his end. You can feed him to his pet shark and get an achievement for it, so it's fairly amusing and innovative, at least.

Meanwhile, the funniest part of Infamy 3.0 are the people crying about how they can no longer rush infamy levels using Crime Spree.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Wastrel_ posted:

Meanwhile, the funniest part of Infamy 3.0 are the people crying about how they can no longer rush infamy levels using Crime Spree.

If it were still possible, the same people would be the first to shriek about how Infamy 3.0 is "underwhelming" and "doesn't have enough content" a week after it came out. A story as old as time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wastrel_ posted:

Why not? I was thinking of doing some more infamy-ing but that lowers the appeal a bit.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
People rushing content and then claiming the game has none (as loudly as possible, over as many sites as they can sign up to) because they managed to put 50 hours of gameplay in over a single weekend has been killing tons of games recently, so anything that discourages that is good imo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:hmmyes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Hopped in to play with a friend last night to keep climbing the Infamy ladder and man it has been a long time since I've been level 0. I started a Ukranian Job to get my seed levels, and the third time I failed I thought "I'll just swap to shaped charges and finish it in ten seconds."

Turns out you can't get shaped charges at level 0. Or any skills. Game's still fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really liked Four Stores or whatever it was to get my first few levels. With the ECM deployable things you can really easily steal two ATMs then hide in a corner until the getaway van arrives, thus being done in like 5 minutes or less. Then once I have some skills I do Bag Throwing Simulator a couple times by just using grenades as fill-in zip ties and locking down the map to get into the 80s or so.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I really liked Four Stores or whatever it was to get my first few levels. With the ECM deployable things you can really easily steal two ATMs then hide in a corner until the getaway van arrives, thus being done in like 5 minutes or less. Then once I have some skills I do Bag Throwing Simulator a couple times by just using grenades as fill-in zip ties and locking down the map to get into the 80s or so.

At level 0 solo (while I waited for my friends to finish updating) you can only hold one ECM, so you only get one ATM and I don't think that's enough.

Which heist is Bag Throwing Simulator? Isn't that the Overdrill achievement?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bbcisdabomb posted:

At level 0 solo (while I waited for my friends to finish updating) you can only hold one ECM, so you only get one ATM and I don't think that's enough.

Which heist is Bag Throwing Simulator? Isn't that the Overdrill achievement?
Oh huh, I wonder what I did then? Its been so long.

Bag Throwing Simulator is, to me, Diamond Store.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Bag Throwing Simulator
Complete the Diamond Store job on the Death Sentence difficulty with the One Down mechanic activated.

OVERDRILL
In the First World Bank job, solve the PAYDAY: The Heist secret on the Death Wish difficulty or above and enter the OVERVAULT.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just decided to be a dummy and hit the Infamy button to go 26. Did Four Stores on Overkill. Only needed one ECM to get one ATM. Took me longer to wait through getting to level 31 than it did to do the heist.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
what mods and hooks for the mods do people even use anymore

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

what mods and hooks for the mods do people even use anymore
Hook: SuperBLT

Custom Asset Dependency: BeardLib

HUD: WolfHUD or PocoHUD

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I just decided to be a dummy and hit the Infamy button to go 26. Did Four Stores on Overkill. Only needed one ECM to get one ATM. Took me longer to wait through getting to level 31 than it did to do the heist.

EorayMel posted:

Bag Throwing Simulator
Complete the Diamond Store job on the Death Sentence difficulty with the One Down mechanic activated.

OVERDRILL
In the First World Bank job, solve the PAYDAY: The Heist secret on the Death Wish difficulty or above and enter the OVERVAULT.

Well I learned something today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Why not? I was thinking of doing some more infamy-ing but that lowers the appeal a bit.

Other than what has already been mentioned regarding whiny people and content in general, for PD2 there are many extremely high-level crime sprees that have likely been achieved through cheats. One way people used to gain infamy levels was to ride on these very high-level sprees to get huge catch-up bonuses for their own crime spree levels. They would then claim the rewards, get to level 100, get infamous again, rinse and repeat. It was found that a new account that began from level 0 could get to XXV-100 in as little as 6 hours. This led to a fair number of completely terrible XXV-100 players on DW and DS, and this phenomenon along with general unease at how easily Infamy could be cheesed, led to many players calling for Crime Spree to be altered.

I agree completely with what they did, and the tears are very funny to watch.

Also, there are so many ways to level up now anyway: high-paying and not particularly difficult heists like Hoxbreak and Safehouse Raid, endless heists like Cook Off and Border Crystals, and even Holdout. Anyone else remember Infamy 1.0 when blowing up the lab on Overkill and jumping off the bridge on Train Heist were the slow and crappy go-to ways to level?