Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Hi all, beyond directly helping people in my own community when they need it, what's the best trans charity to set up a regular donation to with what used to be my party membership fees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

The Libearian posted:

Hi all, beyond directly helping people in my own community when they need it, what's the best trans charity to set up a regular donation to with what used to be my party membership fees?

Mermaids are great and do good work imo. And y'know each time you donate to them Linehan bursts a braincell or something so it's worth it for that effect too.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol no that's real, she's a z list comedy actress and noted bully. Like the only person who was on Big Train and wasn't offered a part in any Simon Pegg films. Her husband ate potpourri in a restaurant and it made the papers.

Um actually I think you’ll find he ate a hand towel after staff had poured hot water on it to inflate it. Literally something happens in the comedy film Spy, but for real.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

jabby posted:

I don't think reigniting the row is going to improve his reputation. Everybody who is going to believe the complaints were politically motivated already believes that. All the arguments have been made.

Plus, at the risk of this being unpopular, I still find it unedifying for anybody on the left to downplay complaints of racism no matter how exaggerated and politically motivated they are. The Labour party is institutionally racist in so many ways, we shouldn't be defending it. If Corbyn wants to rebut the vitriol levelled at him it would be far more productive to reiterate that the handling of complaints was deliberately hampered by other factions of the party, or point to the good things he did improving the processes, rather than clumsily saying there wasn't enough racism to justify this level of upset.

EDIT

Guardian appears to confirm suspicions that suspending Corbyn was bad for everybody and both Corbyn and Starmer want it to go away.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was institutionally racist but I believe it has/had a problem with AS (and probably other forms of racism). But there are many people who refuse to acknowledge that altogether, and that makes finding common ground around this issue very hard. (As you say, all the arguments have been made on both sides). I completely agree that there were better ways of rebuttal for him - I just don't think he's a particularly good politician. A better politician, while not necessarily believing that AS was an issue, would have recognised that other people thought it was an issue and acted accordingly. McDonnell either recognised the problem earlier or was astute enough to pretend that there was a problem and that the perception needed addressing - it feels like among the last person to actually acknowledge it was JC. I found that very upsetting. Even the leaked report acknowledges that it was a real problem.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It seems kind of wild to say Corbyn misspoke or said the wrong thing when he was stating something the ECHR report specifically suggested be considered valid criticism (the scale of antisemitism in Labour).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
While in addition to your run of the mill racists you do get a particular variety of left antisemitism, I genuinely believe that in 99% of cases this is dumb but well intentioned people using very problematic and lazy terminology when they describe Israel (i.e by referring to 'Jewish interests' or whatever when they mean 'Israeli interests'). This is really bad obviously, but it's directly enabled by the mainstream acceptability of zionists conflating the two as well. Conflating 'Israel' and 'Jews' is entirely fine unless you're on the left, and that influences discourse in a really toxic way.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

therattle posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was institutionally racist

The demographic of MPs doesn't represent the population. We've never had a female or ethnic minority leader. A MP boasted about telling a black MP to "gently caress off". Party staffers shared racist abuse of MPs in their WhatsApp groups. Dawn Butler says party staffers were hostile to her because she's black.

Pretty much every institution in the UK is racist, Labour is no exception.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jabby posted:

The demographic of MPs doesn't represent the population. We've never had a female or ethnic minority leader. A MP boasted about telling a black MP to "gently caress off". Party staffers shared racist abuse of MPs in their WhatsApp groups. Dawn Butler says party staffers were hostile to her because she's black.

yep its loving depressing

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1322065779874037761?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

While in addition to your run of the mill racists you do get a particular variety of left antisemitism, I genuinely believe that in 99% of cases this is dumb but well intentioned people using very problematic and lazy terminology when they describe Israel (i.e by referring to 'Jewish interests' or whatever when they mean 'Israeli interests'). This is really bad obviously, but it's directly enabled by the mainstream acceptability of zionists conflating the two as well. Conflating 'Israel' and 'Jews' is entirely fine unless you're on the left, and that influences discourse in a really toxic way.

trump regularly tells american jews that their home is israel and gets no criticism

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

God, Rory Stewart was an odd fellow wasn't he?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jose posted:

trump regularly tells american jews that their home is israel and gets no criticism

I know! It's loving ridiculous.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

sebzilla posted:

this is still one of my favourite moments EVER

e: it gets sadder though casue googling for that i found him just being genuinely racist

the UKs issues with black people are loving gross and bringing it up sets off some kind of allergic reaction

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sebzilla posted:

Former head of le cercle and current head of it is the undersecretary for business

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

He also says that Jews who don't vote for him are disloyal to Israel and it's somehow fine.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Noxville posted:

Twitter is a great place for making and reading jokes. And calling Tories cunts, I guess.

Twitter must be really horrible if you take engaging with it seriously at all but it's no worse than any other social media if you want to just Post and have fun.

It's really good to make multiple accounts on too. Follow a few people from X group, engage a bit just repeating whatever their Correct opinion is and it can be really eye opening people just slide into your DMs with the grimmest/most ridiculous poo poo. I'd be a great MI5 cyber snoop tbh it's legit fun to log in each morning like 'am I a Hindu nationalist today? Maybe alt-right? Remainiac?'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

tbh it's legit fun to log in each morning like 'am I a Hindu nationalist today? Maybe alt-right? Remainiac?'

...UKMT poster?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/fetzert/status/1322078576133525504?s=20

Going to say that Rishi's odds of being PM seem to be declining somewhat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

jabby posted:

Fair enough.

Jose posted:

Not true. This was the first google result.

https://www.businessinsider.com/american-jews-condemn-trump-for-saying-israel-is-your-country-2020-9

Gonzo McFee posted:

He also says that Jews who don't vote for him are disloyal to Israel and it's somehow fine.

Also not true.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b7ce_story.html

Plenty of results saying the same thing.

It’s almost as if Jews call out antisemitism when they see it, and not only in the Labour Party because it’s “politically convenient”.

Anyway, it’s not like Trump is held up to be a paragon of virtue and a dedicated anti-racism campaigner. One would expect nothing less than this poo poo from him.

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 30, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

this is the kind of thing tories love though, proper blitz spirit

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jabby posted:

He wasn't doorstepped, it was a prepared statement.

Honestly after everything he's been through he can say what he likes, but I agree with Shabi that it has obliterated the EHRC report and I just don't see any good for anyone coming out of blowing this row up again. It's not good for Starmer, it's not good for Corbyn, not for Labour, not for Momentum, not for the Left in general, not for anti-racism campaigners in general, just not good for anybody. Everyone comes out looking bad.

So if it was me I'd have left out the sentence about "the scale of the problem was also dramatically overstated for political reasons". It might be true, but everyone who is going to believe that already knows.

A statement prepared because the first thing that was going to happen was journalists asking him for his reaction. 'No comment' wasn't an option. Not mentioning that there was a smear campaign would also have been taken as an admission of guilt. I'm glad he told the truth.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

feedmegin posted:

...UKMT poster?

A year or two ago screenshots from UKMT would show up intermittently on #FBPE twitter, it was always some Spitting Image-level post of someone epically owning Michael Gove or whatever though. There is at least one lib goon here harvesting posts for internet points and I say god bless em.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

therattle posted:

Fair enough.

Not true. This was the first google result.

https://www.businessinsider.com/american-jews-condemn-trump-for-saying-israel-is-your-country-2020-9

Also not true.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b7ce_story.html

Plenty of results saying the same thing.

It’s almost as if Jews call out antisemitism when they see it, and not only in the Labour Party because it’s “politically convenient”.

Anyway, it’s not like Trump is held up to be a paragon of virtue and a dedicated anti-racism campaigner. One would expect nothing less than this poo poo from him.

Yes of course Jews do, the point being made is that the centrist and right wing media don’t. Is this guy another pound shop Pissflaps?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh cool they just dropped that we're going into a national lockdown again (in England) on Wednesday. After briefing the cabinet to deny this all day. At 9pm on a Friday.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1322294630906503171

Restrictions to last for 1 month.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I still can't believe they called it eat out to help out and apparently the whole of the country just let that pass by without comment.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

He was doing this in cspam and they told the poor bastard to bring it to DnD lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Welp back into doing exactly the loving same thing I've been doing for the past 6 months except I might be forced to go into work in person.

Yay.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

I still can't believe they called it eat out to help out and apparently the whole of the country just let that pass by without comment.

It was too obvious they meant it that way so it's funnier to ignore it.

It's like when Microsoft calls the new xbox the Series X and absolutely nobody is calling it the SeX or SeXbox

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't believe that Tories are constitutionally capable of making that joke, but maybe you're right and they employed someone who could to name it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

therattle posted:

Feel like those quotation marks are doing a lot of work there mate, mind spelling out your point for us slow ones at the back?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, he got a lot of money for tory donors and so into the party with that.
It prob increased his chances a lot.
Brexit will ruin him though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

serious gaylord posted:

Oh cool they just dropped that we're going into a national lockdown again (in England) on Wednesday. After briefing the cabinet to deny this all day. At 9pm on a Friday.

Everything except schools :wtc: and non-essential shops to close? What, so you pack the kids off to their local viral hotbed, then spend the day playing 40K in Games Workshop because you can't go and buy any food?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Payndz posted:

Everything except schools :wtc: and non-essential shops to close? What, so you pack the kids off to their local viral hotbed, then spend the day playing 40K in Games Workshop because you can't go and buy any food?

I think he meant 'essential' shops which is all of them if they leave the categorising up to the owners.

But yes, keeping schools open given they are now showing to be the biggest vectors of the disease while kneecapping the economy seems nonsensical at best and actively suicidal at worst.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmegin posted:

A statement prepared because the first thing that was going to happen was journalists asking him for his reaction. 'No comment' wasn't an option. Not mentioning that there was a smear campaign would also have been taken as an admission of guilt. I'm glad he told the truth.

“I haven’t had time to properly read and consider the final report. Once I have had an opportunity to do so I’ll release a statement”. He had options. He just chose not to take them.

Jakabite posted:

Yes of course Jews do, the point being made is that the centrist and right wing media don’t. Is this guy another pound shop Pissflaps?

The comments I was replying to were basically saying that there was no criticism at all, it’s fine for him to say it - not that there was no criticism from centrist and right wing media.

Poundshop pissflaps would be an excellent username.

therattle fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 31, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Not only would a 2nd lockdown not work if they continue to let kids go to school, it will further erode trust in the government and when the necessary 3rd lockdown happens, because it will unless a vaccine arrives, you'll get stuff like whats happening in spain.

https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/status/1322306670471663616

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

serious gaylord posted:

Restrictions to last for 1 month.

Why do we have to learn this poo poo from 'cabinet sources' every loving time?!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

serious gaylord posted:

Not only would a 2nd lockdown not work if they continue to let kids go to school, it will further erode trust in the government and when the necessary 3rd lockdown happens, because it will unless a vaccine arrives, you'll get stuff like whats happening in spain.

https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/status/1322306670471663616

in re school, i know, different country and all, but take a look at how much schools can contribute to spread (because i am constantly hearing how they aren't)

of the more than 6000 total cases in ottawa, 40% of the spread is from schools. 20% elsewhere. i understand that schooling is important but surely there is middle ground we could all be walking?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

mediaphage posted:

in re school, i know, different country and all, but take a look at how much schools can contribute to spread (because i am constantly hearing how they aren't)

of the more than 6000 total cases in ottawa, 40% of the spread is from schools. 20% elsewhere. i understand that schooling is important but surely there is middle ground we could all be walking?

Keeping schools open frees the parents to work in some capacity though. What exactly is forced shut, what protections are given to the workers in shuttered industries and how many industries are given a pass are vital to whether this is going to work or if we're throwing more lives into the volcano in pursuit of Number.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therattle posted:

“I haven’t had time to properly read and consider the final report. Once I have had an opportunity to do so I’ll release a statement”. He had options. He just chose not to take them.

And then we do exactly the same thing, just a day later :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just had a rare moment of being heartened by the realisation that as he's not a minister or even an elected politician and therefore lacks crown immunity, Dominic Cummings could technically be held criminally accountable for every death - rapidly approaching 1 Brit in every 1000! - resulting from his sociopathic policies.

Not that this will ever happen, but y'know, you take these little nuggets of hope where you can.