Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey what's a decent utility for converting a jpg to pdf?

I need to submit personal info, so I'm a little leery of using an online service for this.

If it’s just once and not too many pages and you’re on Windows, just use Word or PowerPoint and drop the images onto the pages, resize and print as pdf.

On Mac, Preview does this.

If it’s a lot of data, or you wanna get fancy for whatever reason, you can do this in ImageMagick, here’s a thread on that https://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?t=21097

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I need to submit personal info, so I'm a little leery of using an online service for this.

paste it into a word doc and then print to pdf

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Print the images, then scan to PDF. :razz:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think Windows has native print-to-pdf now. Just open the image in literally any program, print, and choose save to pdf as your printer.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dirby posted:

Maybe there's something simpler, but GIMP can do this.

Oh nice, I use Gimp anyways so that's an easy solution.

greazeball posted:

paste it into a word doc and then print to pdf

Platystemon posted:

Print the images, then scan to PDF. :razz:

lmao

jpgs are on my phone, scan the phone?!?!

edit:

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think Windows has native print-to-pdf now. Just open the image in literally any program, print, and choose save to pdf as your printer.

Oh neat, well never mind then.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Okay. You know those fabric...clasps? Things? On dog collars, that you can use to shorten or lengthen the material? You see them on backpacks and other fabrics too. What are those called? I want to buy several standalone for a project.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay. You know those fabric...clasps? Things? On dog collars, that you can use to shorten or lengthen the material? You see them on backpacks and other fabrics too. What are those called? I want to buy several standalone for a project.

Plastic strap/slide adjusters.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Most dog collars use something like a belt buckle.

But I think you might mean slip locks? Like the thing you use to adjust backpack straps and stuff.

If neither of those are what you want, try going into a sewing/craft shop like a Joann fabrics and they will have all manner of fasteners.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Don’t both windows and OSX have print to pdf built in?

E:F;b.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 28, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Plastic strap/slide adjusters.

alnilam posted:

Most dog collars use something like a belt buckle.

But I think you might mean slip locks? Like the thing you use to adjust backpack straps and stuff.

If neither of those are what you want, try going into a sewing/craft shop like a Joann fabrics and they will have all manner of fasteners.

Thank you both, I've found what I'm looking for!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Load it in your browser and print to pdf?

e: daaaaaamn

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is everyone else just loving exhausted all the time?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

tuyop posted:

Do you potentially have depression and/or sleep apnea? Because yes I was until I sorted those.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tuyop posted:

It's been a hell of a year. I feel like I can do straightforward tasks just fine still, but any kind of planning or strategy or decision-making wipes me out. This really sucks as I teach in a college and we're constantly shifting between presence, hybrid and remote classes. The big school shutdown finally came from above so at least the possibility of change coming down the pipe is less and that should help a little I hope.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tuyop posted:

Yes, a great many of us are.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

Sadly not. I came across https://sententiaeantiquae.com/2018/08/11/no-internet-kerberos-is-probably-not-spot/ while trying to look up my own question.

As a consolation, I tell you that the name “California” comes from the Arabic title “caliph”, via a sixteenth‐century Tingler Spanish romance novel.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

alnilam posted:

grocery store bundles are fine, they are usually kiln dried so they will burn pretty reliably but some are very lightweight woods that burn way too fast

getting a 1/4 or 1/3 cord of wood from some guy on craigslist can vary too though, i've had some supposedly seasoned wood turn out to be pretty hissy (moist) and hard to light. But in general if you find good seasoned wood it will do you better than kiln dried grocery store stuff.

A good compromise could be going to a local (non-chain) nursery or landscaping supply store. They often sell bulk seasoned firewood in varying quantities, like an armful, a wheel barrow full, a pallet full, a 1/3 cord, maybe even full cord. That way you can also try out their supply before you get a huge quantity.

IME a 1/3 cord will easily last the casual fire-haver through the fall and winter and probably leave you with a bit left over for some outdoor fires next spring and summer.

Thanks for this! I got some birch from Home Depot, and I'll be stopping by a local firewood supplier to get a stack of firewood. He hasn't listed how much a stack of firewood is, but I'm assuming it's about 1/8 of a cord? I'm just gonna get a trunk's worth of wood and see how long it lasts me.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

Totally. But it's okay. It's the people who seem happy with the way things are that you need to watch out for.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

tuyop posted:

Don't get me started. Even before I became a dad.

And lately I am winded almost all the time. Like, we have lived in the same apartment for years now. I go the stairs to our floor up and down several times a day. Why do I still feel tired after walking them up? How am I not used to them by now, I thought training was a thing. I am not even overweight or anything and I try to keep reasonably fit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mistaken Identity posted:

Don't get me started. Even before I became a dad.

And lately I am winded almost all the time. Like, we have lived in the same apartment for years now. I go the stairs to our floor up and down several times a day. Why do I still feel tired after walking them up? How am I not used to them by now, I thought training was a thing. I am not even overweight or anything and I try to keep reasonably fit.

Any chance you've been exposed to Covid? You might have a very mild case.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Any chance you've been exposed to Covid? You might have a very mild case.

Seconding this. This is also a pretty classic post Covid symptom, so you may have already had it without really noticing.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

CrazySalamander posted:

Seconding this. This is also a pretty classic post Covid symptom, so you may have already had it without really noticing.

Really appreciate the concern but I should have been more precise. The “lately” in this case started well before COVID. I just seem to be stubbornly unfit.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
In that case I have good news!

ABC Australia posted:

"The further you are from your fitness potential (read: the more unfit you are), the more profound your results will be in the first 12 weeks," Dr Boutagy said.

"Studies are unanimous that beginners can pretty much double their strength within this time."

In the fitness industry this is known as "newbie gains" and it's an exciting time.

"In terms of cardio, most studies show that within three to four weeks you can improve your VO2 [your maximum rate of oxygen consumption] somewhere between 20 and 30 per cent using interval training," Dr Boutagy said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2017-04-09/how-long-does-it-take-to-lose-fitness/8426246

So basically if you want to be done with being winded like that you can probably manage it in a month. I am not a doctor though and it is honestly probably a good idea to discuss this with your doctor anyway.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I can testify to that. Every time I pick up running after dropping it for a while, there's noticeable improvements practically every couple of runs in the first month. First couple runs always feel like hell but the third or fourth time is a breeze (comparatively).

Definitely check a doctor if you got some other weird body symptoms though.

All that said, are you breathing right? I catch myself holding my breath if I'm stressed sometimes. Panic attacks can also feel like shortness of breath.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

All that said, are you breathing right? I catch myself holding my breath if I'm stressed sometimes. Panic attacks can also feel like shortness of breath.

Am definitely doing that. I also catch myself holding my breath when I concentrate too much or think to deep about something. Don't think those are panic attacks though. Don't really feel panicky, just annoyed. Also my legs are usually starting to get tired after a measly two flights of stairs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone. I feel very validated! I don't think I'm very depressed but the implication is that this somehow got better? Please don't tell me it was meditation and eating more green tea or something.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

tuyop posted:

Thanks everyone. I feel very validated! I don't think I'm very depressed but the implication is that this somehow got better? Please don't tell me it was meditation and eating more green tea or something.

You've just entered the acceptance stage of the inexorable end of the world wrought by unmitigated climate change

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Methanar posted:

You've just entered the acceptance stage of the inexorable end of the world wrought by unmitigated climate change

stoooooop

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

Pff “just”

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

I mean, if you're asking how not to feel exhausted all the time my solution was to take up cycling and no drinking on a school night. Good luck doing either of those things in 2020.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

In a bunch of old-timey cartoons, crazy people think they're Napoleon. Where did that come from? Was that a pop culture reference from the time that went over my head?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Manager Hoyden posted:

In a bunch of old-timey cartoons, crazy people think they're Napoleon. Where did that come from? Was that a pop culture reference from the time that went over my head?

Where did we get the idea crazy people think they’re Napoleon?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is creosote build up still an issue with seasoned wood that has gotten wet due to rain?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey gang!

My partner's bike was stolen from our front porch for the second time this year. Argh!

I was wondering, what are the legal limitations of traps I can lay around a replacement bike? Like... I imagine that if I put sticky tape everywhere, there's no consequence. But what if I sneakily put a rat trap on the bike and a bike thief breaks his fingers trying to steal it? (for the sake of this hypothetical, let's assume we have a camera so it is obvious guy was going to steal the bike) What about nails that he steps on?

We're not going to do any of this. It just got me wondering what you can do on your property with traps. I just can't imagine it's legal to set up traps, but I guess if you can shoot someone for trespassing, maybe you can?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
What is this "legitimate interest" poo poo that I see on cookie control panels in websites?

I mean, I know it's juast tthe same old bullshit, can't be that the same companies have any "legitimate interest" in getting data, it's all going to be packaged and sold.

But what's the justificating veneer? And howbare we veing screwed? Any primers? My google fu has failed.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

credburn posted:

Hey gang!

My partner's bike was stolen from our front porch for the second time this year. Argh!

I was wondering, what are the legal limitations of traps I can lay around a replacement bike? Like... I imagine that if I put sticky tape everywhere, there's no consequence. But what if I sneakily put a rat trap on the bike and a bike thief breaks his fingers trying to steal it? (for the sake of this hypothetical, let's assume we have a camera so it is obvious guy was going to steal the bike) What about nails that he steps on?

We're not going to do any of this. It just got me wondering what you can do on your property with traps. I just can't imagine it's legal to set up traps, but I guess if you can shoot someone for trespassing, maybe you can?

i think you should put 220v through it and keep us posted

there's also a legal questions thread this could be fun in

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve had bikes stolen several times and it loving sucks.

Realistically, the best option is to pay for insurance that covers bikes. I live in a place where bike theft is a major issue, and insurance is a godsend. When my last bike was stolen, they gave me the purchase price and even asked if they could compensate any work I had done on it afterwards. Didn’t even ask for receipts. I was honest and just said it had gotten new tires and tubes but I could have said whatever.

Less good options:
-get a wall mount and keep your bike inside like a proper hipster/middle aged weekend warrior.
-install a tracking device and prepare to deal with a police department that doesn’t care or confront bike thieves and post about the fallout here
-keep a nice bike inside for trips and a cheap stolen bike bought off craigslist outside for everyday stuff
-comb Kijiji/Craigslist/local boards for your stolen ride

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

credburn posted:

Booby trap laws: Is it illegal to go the full “Home Alone” to stop bad guys?

quote:

Here’s what you need to know:

- Courts have a long history of siding against booby trap users.
- Booby traps are a threat to children and first responders.
-If someone is hurt or killed by a booby trap you set, you will likely be found liable.

Also, keeping bikes inside is best if you have the space. Get a bike stand and a cheap rubber backed floor mat from Home Depot or somewhere to put under it.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Just don't ask us where to buy buckshot...