Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

therobit posted:

This mentality is exactly the type of thinking that could plunge us into a civil war. "Anything we do to stop them is legitimate" is also what those morons are saying right now, and that's how you get cycles of reciprocal violence that last for generations. Civil war is a terrible idea so long as political options still exist.

In NC they just beat up and dispersed with gas and pepper spray a “Souls to the Poles” event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Thanatosian posted:

It's important to remember that no matter what they do, we never, ever do anything that violates decorum.

Sure, they may kill people, commit war crimes, whatever, but the most vital thing is that we never be indecorous. Eventually, our total passivity will force them to give up. It's worked so far!

You guys know that there are other actions available than extralegal violence right? And I have no problem with people arming themselves and responding as an incident is occurring, but forming our own death squads is not the way forward. The fact that this is a controversial position to you probably means you are mentally ill.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

generic one posted:

Right-wing domestic terrorists have clearly shown they have zero problem with violence, but I think we’re verging on some mind-boggling scenarios in which they have the collective foresight and organizational skills to coordinate a national civil war type scenario.

Yes, I agree, there will probably be sporadic right-wing incidents of violence if Trump loses on Tuesday. That said, I think folks are buying more into their bark than their bite if they believe there’s going to be a civil war type of scenario.

Remember the guy hiding under the tarp at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge? As long as Trump loses, that’s how this poo poo will end for most of those fuckers. Cowering with their lube drums and dildos and guns hiding under loving tarps.

Hey it sounds like you just woke up from a coma, because you cited something that literally kicked off during the Obama administration. Hope you have a fun time catching up with the actual things that are occurring on the streets this week, I'm sure it will be pretty upsetting!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Guys guys maybe you shouldn’t be doing this thing you aren’t doing that the right is totally doing out in the open.

That’s you. It’s that stupid.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

therobit posted:

You guys know that there are other actions available than extralegal violence right? And I have no problem with people arming themselves and responding as an incident is occurring, but forming our own death squads is not the way forward. The fact that this is a controversial position to you probably means you are mentally ill.

Name calling isn't helpful. Responding to right wing oppressive violence with violence of your own is a very natural thought process. I think it's an unhelpful one that likely leads to even worse outcomes but the idea of proactive defense very far from crazy.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

therobit posted:

Presumably you support doxxing them then, so that public pressure can be brought to bear to force them from public office, out of their jobs, and to isolate them socially.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

therobit posted:

Pictured: the mentally ill

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

Pictured: the mentally ill

The Black Panthers never engaged in a campaign of targetted violence against anyone, HTH.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

They're already prepping to throw the election to Trump. Democrats are voting mail-in in droves, and they've hosed the postal service, and have put in place a Supreme Court that will more than happily throw out all ballots received after election day in most swing states. The Democrats are going to be left with the options of go along with it, or risk starting a civil war themselves, and I think we all know how that's going to go.

Just because they’re trying to rig the election doesn’t mean they’re going to succeed. I realize 2016 broke all of our brains, but there are legitimate reasons to believe 2020 isn’t going to work out that way. I feel like the reasons for that optimism are better suited for the Polliwonks thread, but suffice to say, things aren’t looking great for Tromp, even with the voter suppression and court shenanigans.

Gerund posted:

Hey it sounds like you just woke up from a coma, because you cited something that literally kicked off during the Obama administration. Hope you have a fun time catching up with the actual things that are occurring on the streets this week, I'm sure it will be pretty upsetting!

I’m fully aware of what’s going on out there right now. The reason for the comparison is once Donald’s sent packing (fingers crossed, Inshallah), the assholes who have gone full megaphone instead of just dog whistling will more than likely gently caress off to whatever caves they emerged from. Sure, there’s a chance they may stick around and do some ad-hoc violence for their big, strong, powerful Daddy Trump, but to imply there’s going to be a civil war if Joe Biden gets elected is on another level.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004
Just remember: if you're going to participate in extralegal "proactive defense" against "fascists" in the PNW you better have beautiful shot placement. No reason to be wary about people being just a bit overzealous given the hysterics surrounding the election.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

generic one posted:

Just because they’re trying to rig the election doesn’t mean they’re going to succeed. I realize 2016 broke all of our brains, but there are legitimate reasons to believe 2020 isn’t going to work out that way. I feel like the reasons for that optimism are better suited for the Polliwonks thread, but suffice to say, things aren’t looking great for Tromp, even with the voter suppression and court shenanigans.

they succeeded in 2000 and 2004.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

That’s fair, but I don’t think it’s gonna be close enough for that to happen this year. I’d be willing to do a charity bet on it (PNW charities only, since we’re in the local PNW thread).

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nah, Bush won in 2004. They only stole it in 2000.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

therobit posted:

It's pretty loving amazing when you look at how different the world would be without Bush v. Gore.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

therobit posted:

there are better sources, but this one is convenient

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Conspiracies#Election_Theft

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

So... just based on your bypassing on my reply, guessing that’s a “No” on the bet, then.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

therobit posted:

There was a devastating article from Harper's which makes it pretty clear 2004 was stolen also. Unfortunately it's paywalled, but you may be able to find it somewhere. It was highly unreported by the media because of the implications.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

generic one posted:

So... just based on your bypassing on my reply, guessing that’s a “No” on the bet, then.

yeah, I don't consider the odds to really be decisive either way. knowing that the republican party has stolen two of the past five elections isn't some kind of hot insider tip, it's just what they do.

if you want to send some money to a good cause don't let a wager over whether the party hates trump enough to not gently caress with vote tallies slow you down.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

generic one posted:

I’m fully aware of what’s going on out there right now. The reason for the comparison is once Donald’s sent packing (fingers crossed, Inshallah), the assholes who have gone full megaphone instead of just dog whistling will more than likely gently caress off to whatever caves they emerged from. Sure, there’s a chance they may stick around and do some ad-hoc violence for their big, strong, powerful Daddy Trump, but to imply there’s going to be a civil war if Joe Biden gets elected is on another level.

I'd like to apologize for the coma comment, since it looks like the real missing piece you have for the last two posts is that there is a "Lame Duck" period for presidents after an election that goes all the way to January of the next year.

This means that no matter what occurs in the next week, the fash running over people at vigils for the extrajudicially murdered are still going to be just as able to operate as they were before in a state with a blue-team governors. While it may get you called mentally ill by some decorum weirdos, this political violence is something people need to organize against with a plan better than "wear a suit & tie".

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

yeah, I don't consider the odds to really be decisive either way. knowing that the republican party has stolen two of the past five elections isn't some kind of hot insider tip, it's just what they do.

if you want to send some money to a good cause don't let a wager over whether the party hates trump enough to not gently caress with vote tallies slow you down.

I’m already donating cash to good causes, the challenge is to whether or not you feel confident in your opinion that the election is going to be stolen again.

The bet still stands, until Monday. Willing to do up to, I dunno, two hundred.

Gerund posted:

I'd like to apologize for the coma comment, since it looks like the real missing piece you have for the last two posts is that there is a "Lame Duck" period for presidents after an election that goes all the way to January of the next year.

This means that no matter what occurs in the next week, the fash running over people at vigils for the extrajudicially murdered are still going to be just as able to operate as they were before in a state with a blue-team governors. While it may get you called mentally ill by some decorum weirdos, this political violence is something people need to organize against with a plan better than "wear a suit & tie".

I’m not disputing that there there may be an increase in random white supremacist violence in the wake of the election, just like there’s been for the past four years. I just think those right-wing militias, like those we see in the PNW, aren’t gonna commit to their civil war cause like they’ve been telegraphing whenever they get a few minutes on television.

As far as the decorum thing is concerned, I think you must have me confused with another poster. I’ve never suggested that decorum, nor wearing a suit and tie, is the answer. I’m a firm believer in punching Nazis.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
President just tweeted video of the CHUDs that tried to run the Biden campaign bus off the road in TX.

Therobit that’s what targeted political violence looks like.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

President just tweeted video of the CHUDs that tried to run the Biden campaign bus off the road in TX.

Therobit that’s what targeted political violence looks like.

I didn't believe you but the tweet is actually better

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1322700188624932869?s=20

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lmao im the guy saying civil war 2 isn't already here.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
If the election goes D, it’ll get worse then stabilize at lovely. If it goes R this is 33 plan accordingly.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

They're already prepping to throw the election to Trump. Democrats are voting mail-in in droves, and they've hosed the postal service, and have put in place a Supreme Court that will more than happily throw out all ballots received after election day in most swing states. The Democrats are going to be left with the options of go along with it, or risk starting a civil war themselves, and I think we all know how that's going to go.

They’re early voting in droves, that’s a rather important difference.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If those people would just vote harder, this wouldn't have happened. Or maybe they need to try reaching out in a bipartisan fashion? Or discussing the issues? When they go low, we go high, after all.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

therobit posted:

The point of militias is to combat the state when it oversteps its bounds against the populace. I find it odd to not understand this when the president is heavily hinting that he will not leave office.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
The National Guard is what really is the militia folks.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

The point of militias is to combat the state when it oversteps its bounds against the populace. I find it odd to not understand this when the president is heavily hinting that he will not leave office.

I'm totally cool with forming militias as long as they aren't engaged in violence. In the event of Trump losing the election and refusing to leave office, if the military did not remove him forcibly, we would already be in a civil war at that point and my objections to political violence would be mooted. I would be joining said militia at that point if I didn't have a way out of the country.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

therobit posted:

I would be joining said militia

Whatever you gotta tell yourself to get to sleep at night my guy

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Drove to Seattle and back to Portland today and holy hell, so many bro-dozers on parade between Tacoma and Oly.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Whatever you gotta tell yourself to get to sleep at night my guy

How many guns do YOU own? Can you shoot them? If you're so sure that forming militias is the way then which militia do you belong to?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

therobit posted:

I'm totally cool with forming militias as long as they aren't engaged in violence. In the event of Trump losing the election and refusing to leave office, if the military did not remove him forcibly, we would already be in a civil war at that point and my objections to political violence would be mooted. I would be joining said militia at that point if I didn't have a way out of the country.

The person leaving the restaurant doesn't get to order for the table. You've backpedaled to advocating for nothing but looking for the exit: this is fine, you do you. But the people who aren't bailing on the region have a good reason to organize.

No matter what happens, the next three months is going to involve fash out on the streets committing political violence and the extrajudicial murder of our fellows, as seen over the last week. To be glib, there will be loving Around. I, personally, do not think anyone will stop loving Around until it is made clear that they will Find Out.

And holy poo poo do not start militia card-checking people on a public forum lol

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Gerund posted:

The person leaving the restaurant doesn't get to order for the table. You've backpedaled to advocating for nothing but looking for the exit: this is fine, you do you. But the people who aren't bailing on the region have a good reason to organize.

No matter what happens, the next three months is going to involve fash out on the streets committing political violence and the extrajudicial murder of our fellows, as seen over the last week. To be glib, there will be loving Around. I, personally, do not think anyone will stop loving Around until it is made clear that they will Find Out.

And holy poo poo do not start militia card-checking people on a public forum lol

Self defense is perfectly fine. If you decide to go out hunting you're a domestic terrorist and a complete piece of trash.

therobit fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 2, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

therobit posted:

Self defense is perfectly fine. If you decide to go out hunting you're a domestic terrorist and a complete piece of trash.

Start engaging with the posters in this thread instead of whatever perceived strawmen you are imagining. As far as I can tell not a single person in this thread has advocated for preemptively hunting down Trump supporters and have explicitly advocated for self-defense.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

In Denver, a fash streetfighter got airholed by a Pinkerton security guard; whether that was self defense or chud-hunting is an academic distinction to be decided by the people who stick around.

I would have liked to be able to use the similar Portland case for the closeness for the region. But wouldn't you know, it looks like there was one of those extrajudicial murders, just a little political violence that has become a constant in the region.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Start engaging with the posters in this thread instead of whatever perceived strawmen you are imagining. As far as I can tell not a single person in this thread has advocated for preemptively hunting down Trump supporters and have explicitly advocated for self-defense.

I was responding to someone saying that it is ok to target the other side for retributive violence and that if you don't want to participate then you should shut up. And people apparently have a problem with the notion that political violence is bad to engage in even if the other side does it to you first.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

therobit posted:

I was responding to someone saying that it is ok to target the other side for retributive violence and that if you don't want to participate then you should shut up. And people apparently have a problem with the notion that political violence is bad to engage in even if the other side does it to you first.

Decorum for our time. We will show them decorum when they murder us in cars. We will show them decorum when they come into our homes and murder us without warrants. We will show them decorum when they run buses off the road. We will show them decorum when they attack federal facilities. Decorum when they put children in cages. Decorum when they use tear gas on peaceful protestors.

Decorum at any cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Decorum for our time. We will show them decorum when they murder us in cars. We will show them decorum when they come into our homes and murder us without warrants. We will show them decorum when they run buses off the road. We will show them decorum when they attack federal facilities. Decorum when they put children in cages. Decorum when they use tear gas on peaceful protestors.

Decorum at any cost.

This seems like an intentional mischaracterization of what I am saying. I agree with arming up for self defense. Going on the offensive is domestic terrorism. We are probably going to win the election and then my ardent hope is that the FBI will be allowed to mop the floor with what they have been saying for 12 years is the greatest domestic threat to national security.