Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Bringing this back up from earlier - I know an ATV4K will do it, and people in the thread said a Roku4K will do it.

Anyone know if a FireTV 4K Stick will do it? Thinking of picking one up during Prime Day if it will.

Free returns on them I imagine - just buy one and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Free returns on them I imagine - just buy one and see.

That's the plan, just figured I can avoid the hassle if someone had already tried this and confirmed it didn't work.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Edit: Ignore me, I overlooked a small item that caused an error.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 13, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does anyone know what I have to do to make Plex iOS never, ever auto-play the next episode in a TV series? I don't know what does it but sometimes I'll start a show and even though I have auto play off it'll just play until I stop it. I watch Plex to fall asleep and I don't like waking up to find out it's been playing Simpsons episodes for like 2 hours. Right now the only thing that works is to start an episode and then manually clear the queue, but that also means a poo poo load of taps when I do want the next episode.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Are you 100% sure auto play is off on the iOS settings? Toggles like to flip on app updates.

If it is on I’d toggle it again, then uninstall the app and reinstall it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Definitely off. I'll try reinstalling, thanks!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Does anyone know what I have to do to make Plex iOS never, ever auto-play the next episode in a TV series? I don't know what does it but sometimes I'll start a show and even though I have auto play off it'll just play until I stop it. I watch Plex to fall asleep and I don't like waking up to find out it's been playing Simpsons episodes for like 2 hours. Right now the only thing that works is to start an episode and then manually clear the queue, but that also means a poo poo load of taps when I do want the next episode.

I had this issue on tvOS, and eventually went away. I chalked it up to Apple TV being the only thing I’ve set to auto update apps and when that happens in the middle of viewing sometimes those settings don’t sync.

At least that was my working hypothesis. As someone who posted here to mysteries about it, I sympathize!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are there any Plex clients that will tonemap HDR content to SDR, AND supports direct play of UHD content while still outputting HD? I'm pretty sure an AppleTV4k will do it, but are there any that don't cost almost 200 bucks? It would have to be a client that supports direct play of UHD material while outputting an HD signal because a) Plex definitely doesn't support HDR to SDR tonemapping when transcoding, and B) my server isn't powerful enough to transocde UHD sources anyway.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Bringing this back up from earlier - I know an ATV4K will do it, and people in the thread said a Roku4K will do it.

Anyone know if a FireTV 4K Stick will do it? Thinking of picking one up during Prime Day if it will.

TRIP REPORT: Tried out my 4K Stick today, and like all things Plex, it wasn't as straightforward as I hoped.

On the plus side, it DOES work the way i hoped it would. The majority of my 4K HDR movies play just fine on my HD SDR bedroom projector. They are direct playing to the Fire Stick and the HDR to SDR tonemapping is presumably being done by the Plex player.

On the negative side, there are a handful of movies I've found that Plex still thinks it needs to transcode. Not sure why it's forcing a transcode on these movies. At a glance, they all seem to be encoded the same way, so it's probably some obscure metadata flag somewhere that's making Plex force a transcode. Initially I thought it might be a bitrate thing, but I've since found some high-bitrate movies that Direct Play just fine, and some (relatively) low-bitrate movies that force a transcode.

Notably, this is a different problem than the one I posted about earlier where certain movies won't playback smoothly on my ATV4K, despite Plex Dashboard reporting that they are perfectly normal "Direct Play" movies.

Still gonna keep the 4K Fire Stick because it does solve my problem like 90% of the way.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Since whichever server or player update, the Android TV app needs a force stop and re-open the first time its used every day. Any ideas whether this can be fixed through Plex or is just the peculiarities of network stuff?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Sonarr question but maybe y'all can help...

Is there a way in Sonarr (v3) to assign different Quality Profiles to specific seasons/episodes within a series?

I created an "Initial Grab" quality profile and an "Archival Quality" profile (well, and an "Archival Quality - x265" profile). Ideally I'd be able to set ongoing series to the "Initial Grab" profile so that it grabs it quickly after the show airs and is a bit more permissive about release groups, source, and quality. But for shows I really like or might rewatch in the future, I'd like to set older seasons of the same show to one of the "Archival Quality" profiles so they get auto-upgraded to 1080p BluRay rips from good groups.

If I click the "Manage episode files in this season" icon it gives me an option to change the quality, but not the quality profile. I can choose 1080p-BluRay there but then it doesn't pay any attention to my release group or codec regexes that are defined in the Quality Profile.

Am I just out of luck?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Does Synology have any 8-bay NASes that are also capable of handling Plex 1080p transcoding? It's a nightmare trying to figure anything out from the all-over-the-place specs of their model lineup.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 18, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lawen posted:

Sonarr question but maybe y'all can help...

Is there a way in Sonarr (v3) to assign different Quality Profiles to specific seasons/episodes within a series?

I created an "Initial Grab" quality profile and an "Archival Quality" profile (well, and an "Archival Quality - x265" profile). Ideally I'd be able to set ongoing series to the "Initial Grab" profile so that it grabs it quickly after the show airs and is a bit more permissive about release groups, source, and quality. But for shows I really like or might rewatch in the future, I'd like to set older seasons of the same show to one of the "Archival Quality" profiles so they get auto-upgraded to 1080p BluRay rips from good groups.

If I click the "Manage episode files in this season" icon it gives me an option to change the quality, but not the quality profile. I can choose 1080p-BluRay there but then it doesn't pay any attention to my release group or codec regexes that are defined in the Quality Profile.

Am I just out of luck?

It will do this itself. Define a quality range for 1080p webdl/rip and 1080p bluray in the same profile. It'll grab the Web rip on release day. When something is available within your BR quality range, it'll download that and delete the webdl

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Khablam posted:

It will do this itself. Define a quality range for 1080p webdl/rip and 1080p bluray in the same profile. It'll grab the Web rip on release day. When something is available within your BR quality range, it'll download that and delete the webdl

Yeah, the problem that I've seen though is that it'll do too many incremental quality upgrades. I don't need it to grab the 720 HDTV then an hour later replace that with the 1080 HDTV and replace that the next day with a 1080 WebRip and then 10 months later finally replace that with a BluRay rip. It'd be nice if I could set the current season to use my "Initial" quality profile to just grab whatever decent rip gets posted first and not bother to upgrade it (unless there's a Proper) but then toggle older seasons to my "Archive" quality profile so they'll automatically upgrade to higher quality.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lawen posted:

Yeah, the problem that I've seen though is that it'll do too many incremental quality upgrades. I don't need it to grab the 720 HDTV then an hour later replace that with the 1080 HDTV and replace that the next day with a 1080 WebRip and then 10 months later finally replace that with a BluRay rip. It'd be nice if I could set the current season to use my "Initial" quality profile to just grab whatever decent rip gets posted first and not bother to upgrade it (unless there's a Proper) but then toggle older seasons to my "Archive" quality profile so they'll automatically upgrade to higher quality.

It seems like a good solution might be to set your initial to 1080p. That way the only upgrade you’ll get is either a proper or a Blu-ray.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Yes, I was assuming you'd just use 1080p webdl and bluray.
There's no reason to have anything less in there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some shows linger in 720p for a while/forever, but not usually anything considered premiere. Moreso stuff on TLC and the like.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Well, gently caress. As of tonight, Cast to Device from Win10 to XBox One just brings up the store page for Groove. I hope this goes away on reboot but between this and Spotify dropping remote volume control without warning it looks like Plex is going to have to take over for a lot more audio work now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It's been a while since I've did reinstall in Windows, but I've been having some weird issues so I'm just gonna flatten. What's the best way to export/save my Plex library and server settings?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Medullah posted:

It's been a while since I've did reinstall in Windows, but I've been having some weird issues so I'm just gonna flatten. What's the best way to export/save my Plex library and server settings?

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201539237-backing-up-plex-media-server-data/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Well then, that's exactly what I needed and likely was a google search away. Thanks. :D

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If anyone was looking to increase their Plex storage, Best Buy has a 14TB external on sale today for $190. I can't see it being much lower than that, even on BF, so now's the time to pull the trigger:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-14tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425303.p?skuId=6425303

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
PSA: If you're using Plex on an Nvidia Shield set the transcode temp dir to something outside internal storage if you can. I didn't realize mine was even doing transcoding until playback was cancelled with a 'There is no more disk space' error

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

If anyone was looking to increase their Plex storage, Best Buy has a 14TB external on sale today for $190. I can't see it being much lower than that, even on BF, so now's the time to pull the trigger:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-14tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425303.p?skuId=6425303

can you still shuck these like oysters or have they finally put a stop to that

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

can you still shuck these like oysters or have they finally put a stop to that
You gotta cover one of the power wire holes for it to spin up on some models, or use an extension and snip the offending wire, like I do.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Seems to be on a case by case basis in my expirence. I’ve shucked several now but they’ve worked fine as is in my Synology and via regular ol’ SATA.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
When I got my WD 10TB external there was a whole reddit of people trying to decode from serial numbers where they'd been manufactured and the likelihood the drives would work separately. It looked almost more trouble than it was worth. Plus I didn't want to make a NAS enclosure at that time. There is a stupid science to it with a big fat maybe at the end before you crack one.

But the other day I saw a 14TB laptop HDD for $250 or something so it doesn't seem worth it. Definitely worth shucking the moment the unit fails though. 2021 is the year of RAID on the desktop in the media closet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

14TB WD external on sale at Best Buy right now for $190... gently caress, I really don't need it. But I want it. Lol.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

When I got my WD 10TB external there was a whole reddit of people trying to decode from serial numbers where they'd been manufactured and the likelihood the drives would work separately.

I've never heard of this being done for the reason of "likelihood drives would work separately". If there had ever been any shucked 3.5" WD Externals that couldn't be used in a regular computer*, it'd have been all over this thread.

Some people were trying to figure out where because some drives came with more cache than others, but that seems like way more effort than it's actually worth. Buy more RAM / SSDs instead.

*I'm not counting the 3.3v thing here since that's well documented and not even necessary for all systems, and it's the same across all shucked WDs

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've never heard of this being done for the reason of "likelihood drives would work separately". If there had ever been any shucked 3.5" WD Externals that couldn't be used in a regular computer*, it'd have been all over this thread.
Some drives have definitely had weird connections inside before.
This is my WD Green which has no IDE or Sata connectors, but instead runs out to a USB port straight from the motherboard.

This is a 2.5" drive, but I also have a 3.5" LACIE which solders the SATA port to the board in a way you can't remove (there's no port, just pins).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Khablam posted:

Some drives have definitely had weird connections inside before.

Yes, which is why I specified "3.5 inch" and "WD". WD (and others) have done poo poo with 2.5" drives, Seagate / others have done poo poo with 3.5" drives, but I've never seen anyone in here buy a WD MyBook or Easystore and get anything but a pure SATA drive inside.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes, which is why I specified "3.5 inch" and "WD". WD (and others) have done poo poo with 2.5" drives, Seagate / others have done poo poo with 3.5" drives, but I've never seen anyone in here buy a WD MyBook or Easystore and get anything but a pure SATA drive inside.

My bad I'm probably misremembering what the redditors were looking for. It was a couple years ago.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

14TB WD external on sale at Best Buy right now for $190... gently caress, I really don't need it. But I want it. Lol.

I broke down and got 4. Also got a 2tb nvme drive for my cache drive. 2020 good year for media hoarding.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kri kri posted:

I broke down and got 4.

Holy poo poo lmao. I still have roughly 3TB free on my 12TB pool, but I've been meaning to do a purge of some stuff now that I'm subbed to Hulu and HBO Max.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm ripping all the episodes from my Married With Children (and a few other TV shows) DVDs using MakeMKV. I dumped them all to my Plex server, and my NVidia Shield TV plays them just fine. However, everything else just gives me a green picture (literally just the color green) and I'm guessing it's that Plex doesn't like MPEG2. Why my Shield TV would be fine with it but not my web browser or the Plex Windows 10 app is a mystery to me because I thought it was all sever-side encoding/decoding but whatever.

I am guessing I will have to re-encode all of them which is incredibly annoying because my idea is to rip everything in their original format and then donate/give away the DVDs because I want to free up room in my house. And by keeping everything in their original format, it's exactly the same as having the original DVDs still in my house (I guess kind of like how people convert their CDs to FLAC or WAV or OGG).

What's the highest quality setting I should use without making the output file size bigger than the source? In Handbrake, should I turn de-interlacing on? A lot of these old TV shows were shot on video I believe. But I don't really notice any interlacing while looking at the raw video.

Also why does Handbrake always try to mess with the dimensions? I converted one of my HD DVD movies using it (because Plex was choking on that, too...I guess it doesn't like VC1 either?) and even though I told it to reencode to 1080p it tried to lower it to some stupid non-standard resolution.

edit: it's weird; I just checked out a DVD (of a movie) that I ripped and I never converted it and Plex plays it just fine on everything. It's only giving me a problem on TV shows for some reason?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 3, 2020

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I'm ripping all the episodes from my Married With Children (and a few other TV shows) DVDs using MakeMKV. I dumped them all to my Plex server, and my NVidia Shield TV plays them just fine. However, everything else just gives me a green picture (literally just the color green) and I'm guessing it's that Plex doesn't like MPEG2. Why my Shield TV would be fine with it but not my web browser or the Plex Windows 10 app is a mystery to me because I thought it was all sever-side encoding/decoding but whatever.

I am guessing I will have to re-encode all of them which is incredibly annoying because my idea is to rip everything in their original format and then donate/give away the DVDs because I want to free up room in my house. And by keeping everything in their original format, it's exactly the same as having the original DVDs still in my house (I guess kind of like how people convert their CDs to FLAC or WAV or OGG).

What's the highest quality setting I should use without making the output file size bigger than the source? In Handbrake, should I turn de-interlacing on? A lot of these old TV shows were shot on video I believe. But I don't really notice any interlacing while looking at the raw video.

Also why does Handbrake always try to mess with the dimensions? I converted one of my HD DVD movies using it (because Plex was choking on that, too...I guess it doesn't like VC1 either?) and even though I told it to reencode to 1080p it tried to lower it to some stupid non-standard resolution.

edit: it's weird; I just checked out a DVD (of a movie) that I ripped and I never converted it and Plex plays it just fine on everything. It's only giving me a problem on TV shows for some reason?

Are you definitely forcing transcoding? As far as I'm aware Plex will just send the video file as-is unless told otherwise. Try changing the quality on the client giving you the green screen and see how that looks. I used to have problems playing rips on my TV, they used to play at a low frame rate but changing the quality would force the Plex server to transcode the video.

I'd assume there is a setting somewhere on the server to always force transcoding but I've never looked for it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

AFAIK this is just MPEG-2 support being more and more half-assed as technology moves on. It will support it in theory, but various things can make it break. If it's DVD in MPEG-2, then it can be interlaced and anamorphic meaning you'll be using non-quadratic pixels, which is often not supported.

Assuming you're happy with some handbrake over-head, pre-transcode them all with a QR value you find acceptable. 18 is just fine for imperfect DVD sources IMO.
Otherwise, you can force transcoding two ways:
- disable direct play/stream on the client
- using a blank sub-title file for each

Pros/cons are whether it annoys you more or less to turn off direct play each time, or to make the sub files for these vids.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
MPEG2 is funny because for the longest time none of the cheap streamers supported it because they all ran off of SoC's that were built for h.264. Consoles always did thanks to DVD and Blu-ray, both of which require it (though in the case of the latter it's not used that frequently), but if you wanted it in an STB your choices were limited by what ran an SoC that supported hardware MPEG2 decoding - ShieldTV, the lovely implementation on the Nexus Player, or no-name boxes.

Nowadays there's enough horsepower in generic devices that it's feasible to decode it on software, even on a phone. But it's lovely old compression so the only place anyone is really using it is live OTA TV and unmolested DVD rips. So you get situations where the hardware should be able to do a fine job of it, but the software devs just kinda don't bother with it.

I will say that if you're using the "Windows 10 app," make sure you're not still using the one from the Microsoft Store. Plex walked away from that one. Their Windows app is now one that uses a normal downloaded installer, and I use it for MPEG2 all the time without a hitch.

Of course, if you're ripping DVDs just do yourself a favor and make MP4s out of them in Handbrake. There's just no reason to keep them in their original form, especially given the state of MPEG2. You'll save space with no real picture quality loss.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for all the helpful replies! I guess I'll just encode them to MP4. I was really hoping to keep them "untouched" because now I don't feel comfortable tossing the DVDs. I guess I can keep them in the garage or something.

Should I be deinterlacing anything in Handbrake?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 4, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

M...wC has H.264 copies up on Amazon and they've all been ripped from there. Just save your time and download someone elses work rather than messing with old DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

M...wC has H.264 copies up on Amazon and they've all been ripped from there. Just save your time and download someone elses work rather than messing with old DVDs.

I bought all the MwC DVDs back as individual DVD season sets a bunch of years ago. Supposedly now there's a new DVD box set of every single season in one set, and there's a lot of complaints that the masters are different for that set, and are way worse. I'm worried the Amazon sets might be from the shittier source.

Also my DVD rips have each episode at about 900MB each, and the Amazon ones are around 300.