Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Speaking of sufficiently evil:

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1322602843661021184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Was just going to come and post about this.

They already lost on this in State court. What in the gently caress is their claimed constitutional problem with drive through voting?

Just read it, loving embarrassing. Just like a federal case against my county, the loving plaintiffs are voters are Republican candidates. They don't have loving standing, there's no right or theirs being abridged and they aren't entitled to become legislative counsel.

This country loving sucks

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 31, 2020

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Hack judges are going to do what they do, but how is the prayer for relief a remedy of the actual alleged harm?

Just skimmed the complaint because I have nothing better to do while my partner dresses up like a witch. Lets assume everything in the complaint is true, and there really is a violation of the Tex. election code about availability of drive-through voting.

How does that make the votes themselves illegal? Its pretty much a textbook case of actual mistake of law, no? A government official making an official statement saying you can legally do this thing, and voters then relying on that guidance to vote from their car? Those votes therefore are valid. Throwing out the votes isn't a remedy, its actually just another harm.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Sab0921 posted:

I have been threatened with Discord explulsion. I even have an effort post in the OP!

So long as transactional lawyers in good standing with the bar count as lawyers, I am one.

So long as your discord name matches your forum name you've already been vetted and I refer you to my previous post about how I have no idea how so many non-sus folks got the ping. Are you people just reading the announcements channel or did you actually get a direct message? Doesn't matter, it's good to double check anyway. Needs doing.

Yeah yeah you're good.

Good.

Nonexistence posted:

I'm a lawyer and @Cpt_Friendship on discord, please spare me the guillotine I follow too many discords to keep up with

Yeah okay.

therobit posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I follow the thread. I guess kick me out of the dischord if you want to.

Boned.

Okay, you're a thing.

BigHead posted:

Wtf is sus and which of you nerds made my name purple? I've been in this thread for fifteen years!

You, dum-dum, have two accounts and you need to pick one that stays.

Assuming someone unfucks themselves and invites you, you can stay. I like your posting.

Vox Nihili posted:

Can confirm this guy is sufficiently evil to participate

Ok, but I'm banning you.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 31, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Ok, but I'm banning you.

Oh no anything but that

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh no anything but that

Okay.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
If you got tagged as sus you should realize you're not making partner and plan accordingly

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

We have a lovely senior poster position available.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Fish I'm the poster previously known as Kawasaki Nun, and a brand new member of the British Accredited Registry in Colorado.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Wtf is sus and which of you nerds made my name purple? I've been in this thread for fifteen years!

Prosecutors are sus regardless of longevity.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

So long as your discord name matches your forum name you've already been vetted and I refer you to my previous post about how I have no idea how so many non-sus folks got the ping. Are you people just reading the announcements channel or did you actually get a direct message? Doesn't matter, it's good to double check anyway. Needs doing.

I got it in the announcements channel.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Worst part of 2020 (so far) is reading this thread, then checking in on discord and finding out I am one of the dirty suses. Sir, I am a lawyer and then some. At least this upcoming week can't be any worse. Good day.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Grip it and rip it posted:

Fish I'm the poster previously known as Kawasaki Nun, and a brand new member of the British Accredited Registry in Colorado.

Yep.

GamingHyena posted:

I got it in the announcements channel.

Yes, everyone can read that. But did you get a notification though? Only the sus group should get that. Well, it doesn't matter, we're down to only a very few sus now so I better get the airlock warmed up.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Worst part of 2020 (so far) is reading this thread, then checking in on discord and finding out I am one of the dirty suses. Sir, I am a lawyer and then some. At least this upcoming week can't be any worse. Good day.

I knew your name was familiar. Fixed, thanks. Don't fake task.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Your name is fuzzy dunlop, and you're insulted we think you're something some crooked cop came up with to spy on wire communication?

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

nm posted:

Your name is fuzzy dunlop, and you're insulted we think you're something some crooked cop came up with to spy on wire communication?

Crooked cop I could accept. Forgettable Biglaw loser breaks my heart.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I am a fraud in good standing and member of the discord server.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Roger_Mudd posted:

I am a fraud in good standing and member of the discord server.

Yes, you certainly are a member.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Hack judges are going to do what they do, but how is the prayer for relief a remedy of the actual alleged harm?

Just skimmed the complaint because I have nothing better to do while my partner dresses up like a witch. Lets assume everything in the complaint is true, and there really is a violation of the Tex. election code about availability of drive-through voting.

How does that make the votes themselves illegal? Its pretty much a textbook case of actual mistake of law, no? A government official making an official statement saying you can legally do this thing, and voters then relying on that guidance to vote from their car? Those votes therefore are valid. Throwing out the votes isn't a remedy, its actually just another harm.

"BREAKING: Texas federal judge rules that plaintiffs don't have standing, 127,000 ballots will be counted."

"Hanen says he is 'not happy with that finding, but the way I look at it, the law requires it.'"

So that's uh good at least.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
lol "not happy" wtf

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol "not happy" wtf

He's a W appointee. He'd love to throw out the votes, but it is such a bullshit argument from the TX GOP that he can't even stomach it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's a W appointee. He'd love to throw out the votes, but it is such a bullshit argument from the TX GOP that he can't even stomach it.

yeah

he did make sure to segregate all future drive-through ballots and heavily hint he'll throw them out the instant someone with standing can be found to ask him to do it

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Votes should only be counted if obtained in the Hamptons, with the voter arriving by helicopter.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

He also said something that even if it's ruled they have standing he'd still deny the injunction. (This was combined with him saying segregate the future in-car votes).

If I was the Harris County Auditor I'd just end in-car voting at this point, apologize, and tell people they need to come inside.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

He also said something that even if it's ruled they have standing he'd still deny the injunction. (This was combined with him saying segregate the future in-car votes).

If I was the Harris County Auditor I'd just end in-car voting at this point, apologize, and tell people they need to come inside.

he said he would rule that he'd probably grant it as to election day in-car voting

his goal is precisely to end the in-car voting in the way you describe without needing to actually issue an order someone could appeal from

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, I know, but why the gently caress as a judge would you even say that you're not happy the law didn't support your preferred political party? I mean I'll take it, but jesus.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’m not happy I have to let them count those votes, but my hands are tied

One of the lawyers made a great argument, along the lines of “The plaintiffs claim they’ll be harmed if all these votes are counted. That’s not harm—that’s an election!”

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

The Judge also made a laches argument. Basically, they did this in the primaries, they said they'd do it in September, they've done it for weeks, the SOS and governor signed off on it, and you filed it a week before the election asking for me to throw out 100k+ votes. gently caress off.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

You, dum-dum, have two accounts and you need to pick one that stays.

Huh lookit that. Maybe I created one with my browser and one with my phone? Anyway unban the all lowercase one, I think.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

BigHead posted:

Huh lookit that. Maybe I created one with my browser and one with my phone? Anyway unban the all lowercase one, I think.

Gotcha.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I didn't receive a ping but I am a lawyer and I think you removed me from the discord, Mr. Fish.

I'd appreciate if someone could hit me up with a link again.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Bushido Brown posted:

I didn't receive a ping but I am a lawyer and I think you removed me from the discord, Mr. Fish.

Sent

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Bushido Brown posted:

Ah well, nevertheless

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Who made this norwegian king of the discord anyway

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Popero posted:

Who made this norwegian king of the discord anyway

That's how monarchy works, dog. Just how we roll.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

That's how monarchy works, dog. Just how we roll.

When do we get to pick the parliament that removes powers and limits yours to opening shopping malls and bridges?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

When do we get to pick the parliament that removes powers and limits yours to opening shopping malls and bridges?

Historically speaking, in about 200 years give or take. Meanwhile, have some cake.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
At least we broke free of the personal union with the doctor's discord. (They are the Danes in this analogy).

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Bushido Brown posted:

What's your Discord name? I can unban.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
State agency attorney here, trying to find ways to allow people to participate in a public hearing without attending in person.

Any lawgoons willing to share methods of offering and exchanging exhibits on the fly during the hearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

State agency attorney here, trying to find ways to allow people to participate in a public hearing without attending in person.

Any lawgoons willing to share methods of offering and exchanging exhibits on the fly during the hearing?

I emailed docs to the judge's clerk and OC. During the hearing the clerk used the software to display the document by presenting. Worked out well.